Missouri University of Science and Technology

« See more reviews of Missouri University of Science and Technology

Missouri University of Science and Technology is not called Missouri University of Engineering. Although it is very well known and renound for it's engineering degrees (and they are excellent), as a student pursuing a degree in Psychological Science I often get a bad wrap here. Students here are very practically, academically, and analytically focused. As am I. That is why I chose this school and enjoy it here. However, most of students here are not convinced that Psychology is a worthy field of science. I believe Psychology should be considered a STEM degree.

Because a large majority of the students are engineers, many of us are considered introverts. Many lack the social skills that are important for networking, which may prove to be a problem when trying to find a job. It can also make for a boring campus life sometimes, but this can also be an advantage when everyone is focused on studying. Another issue many consider when deciding whether to come to my university is the heavily lopsided male-to-female ratio. It can be tough being a female on a male-dominated campus, but you get used to it.

Parking & the courses available for students. When I first arrived at mt sac, I received a really late registration date & could only get 2 or three classes that I didn't really need to get but as I look back, I am glad I got them. This school should add more availble courses for a lot of classes because there are so many people who want the same of one class and they only have one open class available. The parking is another issue because they have a small parking structure compared to a university or another community college.

The teachers are very good at what they do but it seems as though most seem to care more about the research that they are performing and less about the instruction that is given during the hour lecture they are torn away from their research. The lack of enthusiasm for daily lecture makes it difficult not only for the teacher to attend lecture but the student body that attends thier class. It makes the lecture more of a motion in life more than a period to enlighten the students about the subject they instruct.

The location of the town it's located in. The town lacks activities that larger cities ofter, such as concerts, malls, sporting events, and a broad choice of dining. Rolla is halfway between St. Louis and Springfield, both about an hour and a half drive, and to drive to one of those cities just to do stuff is kind of a drag. The only decent dining in Rolla is an Applebee's, Denny's and fastfood . It would be nice if there was more to do.

The worst thing about this school is the lack of aesthetics, compounded by the geothermal project that is currently being constructed. Some of the buildings are run down, and there is one building on campus that is completely abandoned that new students could ostensibly confuse for the student housing office. With the ongoing construction project, there are mounds of dirt everywhere and some walkways are now confusingly laid out.

The codition of Missouri S&T is to say lack luster. First of all, there is not enough space for the amount of students on campus. This includes dinning halls, on-campus living, and classrooms. Secondly, students are very competivtive, which causes a huge deal of stress. Lastly, financial aid is hard to come by, even if you have an excellent GPA.I hope that future renevations and policy changes are in store for the University.

The lack of females is quite possibly the worst thing about our shcool. It is on the minds of the men; so they drink more, and it is on the minds of the women; so they act differently. This change of a social dynamic affects the situation with the surrounding town as well as general class interactions. The change in general class interactions leads to decreased learning and increased awkardness in most classroom settings.

If you want to be a well-rounded student, you have to really search out the humanities and social sciences. They exist, but you have to look for them. Also, like most universities, there's a little bit of a drinking problem, so if you want to avoid it, make a conscious effort to be involved with friends and/or groups that don't advocate drinking. If you enjoy it, please visit during St. Pat's weekend.

If one is unprepared for the workload upon entering S&T, it can be overwhelming. Hence, many students feel they are "in over their heads" when they begin their first semester. Needless to say, I wish I had asked more questions about the academic demands before I started my first semester... I would have saved myself from several weeks of panic and self-doubt!