Missouri University of Science and Technology

« See more reviews of Missouri University of Science and Technology

The main focus at MS&T is academia. You are there to learn, study, go to class, and then study some more. Several of the degree programs are very challenging and require hard work. The degree is worth it in the end because of the opportunities that a degree from MS&T offers. Most classes are small and in my experience professors are readily accessible outside of class. Most people in Missouri recognize the high academic quality at MS&T. However, outside of this, MS&T does not have much going on. Outside of the professors, the administration and various personnel keeping MS&T running make you wonder how they could be hired. Stupidity and ignorance rules from these local "natives." You will have to get things done for yourself because you cannot expect any administrator to help you with anything. The social scene consists of most people heading to the frats and sororities on the weekend to get wasted. For people who don't drink that heavily, these parties are a little too much. Some students have school pride, but I don't know in what. The sports teams are terrible except for the women's basketball. The general feeling in town is that nobody knows what's going on at any time. General incompetence pervades the town. My friends and I have come to just say "That's Rolla," when something goes awry, which is frequent. One memory I will always have is threating the local realty business with legal action when they wouldn't let me out of my lease on an apartment infested with fleas that they wouldn't take care of. It took three months of them breaking the law before they let me out of my lease. They didn't pay any of my money back.

Missouri S&T is a great and difficult learning environment that wil challenge even the brightest of students. The campus is a good size, but it would be nice to have bigger lecture halls for the larger incoming classes. Also, repairing the old buildings on campus would give us more accredibility and draw for new students. Most people think that I am somewhat "crazy" for attending Rolla because of its' difficultly reputation. I spend most of my time studying, but I go to the frat/sorority houses, dorm halls, and all around town all the time. I will that there was more to do in Rolla. I come from St. Louis so I am more accustom to people, lights, cars, and entertainment. The administration is good. I think that the biggest controvesy would be the name change. Being a cheerleader, I do not think that there is much school pride in reference to sports, but the students can surely show their pride during St. Pat's! Unusual... you know that you are a Missouri S&T student if your math homework has more letters than numbers! So far there hasn't been too many memories that are that great, maybe the 100th St. Pat's. The teachers do not really seem to care if the students are correctly learning the necessary material for the class. Also the teachers love to have all the tests during the same week, so you might have upwards of three tests in one week. Also I think that there are some teachers that just should not teach because they are not able to convey informatio that well, and then it effects your grades and classes.

The campus is pretty small; it's nice to be able to walk across campus, and the trees and gardens always look really nice. There isn't much to do while on campus besides go to class, but there is an awesome park close by, and the dorms have some sand volleyball courts and a swimming pool. The food is awful, but the town caters well to the college student's income; there are plenty of fast food places and more chinese restaurants than you could imagine. There really isn't much school pride as far as athletics goes. as a member of the dance team i can tell you that i perform for a very unenthusiastic crowd at both football and basketball games. despite the lack of enthusiasm by most students, our sports teams are actually pretty good; girls basketball made it to the sweet sixteen this year. the school is mostly focused on academics. when people hear that i go to Missouri S&T they are always impressed. everyone who graduates from this school gets a good job; employers seek graduates from this school because they know that we are hardworking and dedicated. classes are hard, but do-able. The biggest thing on campus is the St. Pats celebration every year. we get 2 days off of school to drink and act rediculous in celebration of the patron saint of engineering. EVERYONE at Missouri S&T celebrates St. Pats. one complaint: the math department sucks. take math classes at columbia college here in rolla if you can.

the best thing of Missouri S&T its the ability to create leadership between new freshman students. the atmosphere of the dorms has great potential of creating new leaders but on the dark side of this leadership is creating nerds!... yes nerds that don't have a life and only talk about video games, card games, and WOW. The thing i would change about Missouri S&T is the price of the courses, MS&T was very for me as an international student that is one of the reasons i will be transferring to a different school that is better for my major (Petroleum Engineering). Missouri S&T is very small!.. the big thing in the town is walmart!. The reaction of people when i tell them to MS&T is wondering what it is... they still don't know the name! i spend most of my time studying! tests will be all over the calender week after week. on the weekends i stay home because i'm sick of seeing the same people over and over in every party

The campus is lovely; I feel right at home. Even though we are situated right on the highway, there is a peace about the campus. There is an endless supply of things to do, places to go, people to meet. If you are bored, you aren't getting out enough. Some people, who come from large cities, don't like it because they claim there is nothing to do. Ha! All you have to do is go out and find some people. Do something. Almost everyone is always up to go find something to do. And between the Greeks, GDIs, and Student Union Board, there is always something going on. More recently, the name change has been a huge controversy. Many students love our former name, University of Missouri-Rolla, and you only need bring up the topic and you can hear all about it, including the statement that "we came to UMR."

The university is a great size for students without vehicles. Most of the buildings are located in the same area which makes it easier to get around (and on time)! Rolla is small town that is ultimately based around the university. While there are some entertainment options available, the town isn't packed full of tourists and heavy traffic. Also, a few large cities are within a 100 mile distance or so, making it easy to find somewhere to hang out on weekends. The most pride on campus comes out around St. Patrick's day. The holiday is not just a day for MS&T students, but an entire week worth of events promoting the patron saint. People come from all around to celebrate St. Pat's with MS&T. Though this sometimes leads us to be called "the drinking school with an engineering problem."

The school is a good size overall. It is not too big and not too small. It is the size of campus where you will run into people you know. Most students stay in their respected departments for classes and studying. Some venture into the library. It is difficult to meet people in other departments. The biggest bar near campus to hang out is right down the street. It is a hole in the wall. I've been twice. The other two bars are on the east side of town and they are pretty good. Thursday night is a big night to go out. St. Pats is the biggest event occur at MS&T. People come in from all around to particpate and celebrate. Students commonly complain about course workload. The cirriculum is pretty rigorous so be prepared to study.

I love the size of the school. It's not too small or big--I'm able to pass people on campus and say hi but I still don't know everyone. The town wouldn't be very thriving if it wasn't for the college and while there aren't many places to "party," learning to make your own fun is sometimes the best. The most recent large controversy on campus was the name change. While I thought there needed to be a name change, I don't really like the name the school was given. The best thing about Missouri S&T is the people. Since many people here are "nerds" you find a lot of people with common interests and similar personalities. I've made friends here that I hope to stay in touch with for a long time.

The Students at Missouri S&T are all bound together by a common enemy; Missouri S&T. The town is small, the dorms are unpleasant, and the food on campus is among the worst in the country. (also among the most expensive) The school is only tolerable because of the people. You are surrounded by students that are like you. Everyone here was the nerdy kid in school, we were all the geeks and the underdogs. It is easy to find friends, and people that like you the way you are. The social life at MST is truly its saving grace. Anyone you meet at a place like MST will be someone you can relate to and talk to.

the school is good for design teams, and apparently the faculty do some good research but this does not really effect thes tudents. the town of rolla sucks, the campus here sucks for the most part, however they are making improvements, but slow ones. most of the people hate it here, cuz it sucks here. you will spend many many hours doing hw, and teaching yourself how to do the school work since the teachers here suck and dont even care that they do.