Missouri University of Science and Technology Top Questions

Katlyn

If I could give advice to myself as a high school student I would tell myself to be skeptical of people as I venture out on my own. I would also tell myself to be more confident in myself and academic abilities and not let other people make me feel inferior to them because they came from larger high schools than me. I would also tell myself tohave a better attitude about doing track and field as a collegiate athlete and really enjoy the time I have to run and the memories made. The last, and most important thing I would tell myself is not to try and please anyone or worry about being judged by them. Do what you want and what makes you happy, no matter what.

Marissa

I would tell myself to not worry or stress so much in high school because I am going to end up going to a community college, which is so much cheaper especially if I was undecided on what my major was going to be in High school! I would tell myself that what I am learning now in high school is only half of what I am going to be learning in college; therefore, shouldn't stress myself out so much on the hw because I am going to be learning it again as a review for most of my classes. I would also tell myself to maybe think about taking classes at my college as a senior in high school just so I can get a head start on my General Education and maybe even Major classes. Those are some of the pieces of advice I would give myself as a senior in high school, I probably wouldn't listen to them because I am stubborn and like to learn things my own way, but I would consider them.

Mary

I enter my bedroom to see myself hard at work on the 16th and final scholarship I applied for during my senior year. My face is contorted in an unattractive way, focusing on the blank Word document on my computer screen. I spin myself around in my computer chair and stare straight into my own eyes. "Calm down and breathe a moment," I say, "I know it can be stressful thinking about college, but everything will turn out all right. Your strong work ethic is to be admired, but sometimes perfection cannot be achieved. Always try your hardest, but don't be afraid to relax and do something you love. Get involved in college, but make sure you join at least one club you'll truly enjoy participating in. Be more outgoing and willing to make new friends. If you smile and have a positive attitude, things will surely work out for the best. Also, be eager to help others because one day they will probably return the favor. Hang out with people that have the same goals as you and surround yourself with positive influences. Keep your ultimate goal in mind, but don't be afraid to have fun."

Ashton

Looking back on my senior year of high school, I can recall worrying over my future and how I would keep in touch with friends and family as I embarked on an unknown journey away from the ones who, up to that point, impacted my life the most. Now that I have experienced life after high school, I want to give my senior-in-high-school self some useful truths about college. The first truth I would tell myself is to learn good study habits. The transition into college will be tough, classes won’t always be easy, and good study habits can be the difference between how successful you are in classes. I would tell myself that yes, leaving your family and friends will be hard, but the friends you make in college will become some of the closest people to you. Lastly, I would tell myself that it is not necessary to know exactly what you want to do with your life when you haven’t even been exposed to all the opportunities available yet. See what is out there and what you enjoy, because finding a career that you love is the most important part of college.

College is a transitional phase between adolesence and adulthood. The sooner you realize this, the better. It will require a lot of work, a lot of forward looking, and a lot of focus. But keep the end goal in mind. All the things you complain about in high school are nothing compared to the problems you will face in college. The struggle will be real. However, you can and WILL succeed. You have a very supportive family standing behind you, watching as you climb the mountain of success. But there is a reason success stands at the top of a mountain and not at the bottom of a hill. You will feel down, but you just have to pick your head up and look back to where you came from and turn and face the world. You will make new friends and lose old ones. The only thing that can hold you back is yourself. Do not be afraid to ask for help! There is always someone available to help, you just have ro reach out and reap the benefits. College is about discovering your true potential, now go out there and explore, pioneer, fail, and then succeed!

Brandon

You didn't have to work hard in high school, and everyone you know has told you that you're going to have to put in a lot of effort to keep up in college. Well, I'm here to tell you that I've already made it to the end of my first semester, and you will have to crack open that Algebra textbook (The very same class you thought you knew so well Junior year) far more often than I feel comfortable telling the past me. Buckle down dude, your first semester will be a light one, but you can definitely handle a heavy course load if you apply yourself. I would know, we're doing the maximum allotted credit amount next semester. Brace yourself dude, you're going to have a lot of fun in college. And leave the Letterman Jacket at home, you'll thank me when you're my age!

Mallory

My senior year I would have called myself "good at school." Notice I didn't say a good student. You see, in high school I could flip through my notes twice the night before a test and get an easy A. It came naturally and I didn't need to put forth much effort. I didn't become a good student until I got to college and was forced to learn to study. Honestly, I had no clue how to. I wish I had taken the time to go through the actual process of studying (even if I didn't need it). I would have found my first semester of college much less of a shock. Instead of being an excellent student at an average school, I had the brutal wakeup call of suddenly being average at an excellent school. I've found with working on campus transitioning high schoolers that it's the case with many, and sometimes realizing that truth is hard to handle. To all of you seniors out there: learn how to study and practice it often. Also, you're just as smart as you were in high school, just being measured against higher standards.

Benjamin

Do not stress. Your college experiance will be great. You'll have time, you just have to learn to spend it wisely. If you're in your dorm doing homework and just can't figure it out, then take a break. If you have manage your time wisely then there will be time to finish it later. There is plenty of distractions around, and they can serve you well, as long as you don't get to caught up in them. Go ahead and go bowling on a Tuesday night, or golfing on a Wednesday afternoon. One important thing is to not skip out on your plans. Stick with what you decided to do that morning. Best way to do that is to make a list each morning of what you are going to accomplish that day, and be sure to do it! In college you will make many friends, whether you try to or not. Just look around the dorm on your floor, or maybe hang out in the lounge. If you need help, ask. Everyone loves to help, and show that they understand themselves. College doesn't have to be hard if you don't want it to.

Deanna

Do not be afraid to let go of high school. High school was amazing, with great teachers and the best group of friends that anyone could ask for, and it is extremely nerve wracking to think about having to leave this whole life behind in just a few short months. But, believe it or not, you will find a new group of friends that will quickly become your college family. No, you won't end up sitting alone in your dorm, as feared, but you will get to hang out with some truly amazing people every day. Sure, you will miss your old life at first, but moving on and starting anew will be much more beneficial to you as a person. You will finally be able to grow and figure out who you really want to be, free to discover the world for yourself. It is ok to move forth into a new chapter of life. Don't dwell on old memories; make room for new ones.

Gery

Get more scholarships and apply for a cheap school. The big schools are nice, but the cheaper, atleast for the first two years, the better.

Brandon

If I could go back I and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would further push going to communtiy college first. From seeing what other underclass men/women go through I would highly recommend going to community college first. School charge an outrages amount for food/living which is what I was able to avoid. Truely, I would not change anything if I could go back. I'm proud of all my decisions that have lead me up to this point. As of advise, I would tell myself to spend even more time with family because I sure do miss them. Being homesick happens to about every college student

William

The most important part of the transition to college life lies in recognizing and adapting to changes. This can be change in your environment, social life, academic workload, or anything else that has become part of your daily routine. Failing to adapt to change may cause anxiety and stress, which will cause your grades to take a hit. For example, going from life in a spacious room to sharing a small dorm with a stranger is a significant change in environment, and this can make it difficult to get work done. Overcoming this may mean leaving the dorm room for several hours a day to work with study groups, or it may mean planning times to do assignments alone in your room while your roommate is in class. During my first semester of college, I found it hard to concentrate in my room, so I eventually adjusted my routine and began working in the library. College requires more studying than high school, so find a place you can work comfortably. There will be change, and it is vital that you embrace it and find ways to become comfortable with it.

Koobtsheej

I would tell my high school self to not forget the minor details of life. Especially in this generation of extreme fun and thrill seekers, we often travel the road of life for the next big rush. Everything we do, we are constantly seeking that adrnaline rush. Whether it is winning a championship or scoring the highest grade in class or being first chair in band, we are constantly searching for that one awesome experience. In doing so, we often overlook the small details in life that leads us to that point. We often rush to grab a burger or pizza instead of eating a healthy meal. We stay late into the middle of the night instead of getting a full night's rest. These bad habits eventually catches up to us in the end, and we find ourselves physically out of shape, and mentally drained because we neglected the minor details that will allow us to be sharper physically and mentally. Our young body is capable of such neglect, but like any living being, the neglect can only be tolerated to certain points. Take care of the little things in life, and they will take care of you back.

Rebecca

High School Self, The most important key to succeeding in college, is make a goal orientated plan and stick with it. The best advice I ever received was “You can accomplish anything you set your mind too, with hard work and dedication anything is possible.” Never give up! Always work hard, and try to understand everything with the best of your ability. High school is the easiest part of schooling and don’t take anything for granted, obtain all the information you can, create efficient study skills, and build intermediate work skills. Make sure you have a strong support system because they are your backbone for when you want to give up (Trust me, it gets HARD). After getting settled into the college lifestyle don’t get caught up in the social aspect of making friends (that comes with joining organizations), get involved, build a support system, study hard and make lots of network connections with in your first years. College is the best years of your life, but only because you take everything you learn and apply it to the rest of your life. So have fun, but not too much fun!

Randall

If I could go back in time, I would say to forget the spring job and continue going to track to attempt for a scholarship for college. I would also say to focus more on achieving a 4.0 GPA, because it was definately possible. With those two things accomplished, the struggle to get financial aid and other scholarships may have been easier. Rather than putting down the book for the personal enjoyment of video games, focus on the book. If school work was taken a little more seriously in high school you could've also taken more college credit classes in order to be further ahead in your college career. Use sports and studying in order to further your chances for more financial aid to help you to be more successful in the future.

Erica

I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes as I could. I would say to do summer school and keep preparing for college study wise. I would force myself to fill out more scholarships, and try to be more involved in highschool to prepare me for more time management skills. I would ask myself what I really enjoyed doing and make sure that I could make a career out of it. Making sure that I am happy and enjoy what I do will make college and life much easier.

Tasmia

My High School self would spend hours thinking about what college would be like, anxious about what lied ahead of her. I would firstly ask her to calm down because Missouri S&T turned out to be much better than I had expected. I was anxious about my housing situation and whether or not I would be able to make friends. Fortunately, I immediately fell in love with the community I was placed in, becoming friends with the people on my floor pretty quickly. I would also ask my High School self to start getting into the habit of doing things on time. In order to stay on top of all the work in college, you have to work regularly and diligently. College courses, especially engineering courses can take up a lot of time and its important to stay organized. Another huge concern I used to have was becoming incredibly homesick. Although I do miss home, college has a lot of activity going on that keeps me busy and doesn't let me drown in my own tears. Joining a design team has kept me busy and is giving me a great experience. There's nothing to worry about!

Robert

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself as a high school senior, I would advise one thing: stop worrying. I spent my senior year of high school in anxiety, stressing over fears of college - how difficult it would be to succeed academically, meet new friends, and live in a new place away from home. I can still remember my last week before I left for college; I felt extremely terrified, as if my life was about to end, and I was barely able to sleep. When I finally moved into my dormitory and my parents left, I was lost; I was alone in a foreign world without any friends. This negative attitude continued for several months; I barely spoke to anyone. However, as time progressed, I began to realize that college isn't so bad unless you make it that way. There was nothing keeping me from having a good experience except for myself and my high school opinions that accompanied me. I changed my attitude, and I became involved in extracurricular activities, making friends. So, to prevent the bad first impressions of college, I would advise my high school self to stop worrying.

Mason

I remember the first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. I remeber thinking, "I'm READY", had my pencils, crayons, scissors, and mind by me. Then I walked through those exspansive metal doors to a world unknown, I wasn't ready! I saw hundrends of other boys and girls who like me, didnt know a single face there. Terrified is the only word that could describe my state of mind, and body. I quaked and slowly walked, and then tears began to flow down the slope of my innocent cheek... Fastforward to walking into my first lecture at University, and I can tell no difference. If I could give my senior, niave, self one word of advice it would be, "RELAX!". College is going to be walking into a world unknown, but that world wears a mask. Lift that mask, though, and the endless light of oppurtunity will blind you. Keep your chin up, because just like those first days kindergarten when you thought you weren't ready, you actually were.

Payton

That is simple; I would tell myself to find some way to get into a better high school. I grew up in small town Missouri practically an hour and a half away from any major city. Even though I took the hardest classes available in my school and graduated Valedictorian of my class, I was extremely ill-prepared. My school didn't even have a basic trigonometry or a full calculus class. It was a complete joke. I practically wasted 4 years of my life getting held back by my school system. My parents would have loved to have gotten me out of there if it would’ve been finically reachable. My first two semesters at Missouri S&T were horrible when it came to classwork. I spent nearly every week night with a tutor or study session with others. I have been playing extreme catch up my whole career at college. It has been a struggle but in the end it will be worth it, and I will do whatever I have to make it.

Spencer

Well, first off I would explain to myself the extreme importance of a college education. Then I would say that not studying and playing all the time won't cut it and will not get me anywhere in life. Aslo, don't trust anyone, almost seventy percent of the people you will meet aren't trustworthy at all. Get to know your teachers, if you show them you are interested in their class, they will take interest in you and your needs. Don't be afraid to ask for help, because without it you won't live up to your full potential. Ask questions in class even though you'll feel stupid, because almost everyone else is just as lost as you are and have the same question. Don't cheat, it's not worth it's not worth the ramifications you'll experience if caught. When I say cheating, I mean being a push over and letting your buddy copy your work, but also copying others work. Plan our your days, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Never go home until you have finished everyting for the day, other wise it won't get done.

Alexis

Despite the fact that I was a senior only last year, high school still seems like an eternity ago. If I traveled back in time to talk to the naive high school senior version of myself, there would be too much to say but two things stand out in my mind. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not be afraid if I actually start thinking like my mother. My mom always told me to ask questions and during this year I have suddenly realized what she meant. The questions I have asked this year have gotten me better grades, less stressful schedules, and some amazing friends and I will be forever in my mothers debt because of it. The second thing would involve my sister. I would make my past self find my twin sister and I would tell both of them that being apart in college would only bring them closer. I would tell myself that I shouldn't be afraid to make new friends, lose old ones, and even fall in love without her because it's part of growing up and my sister would always be a phone call away. These lessons have made college amazing.

Brett

I'd warn myself of the crippling debt I'll be subjecting myself to by attending a public school on out-of-state tuition. "I understand that dad promises to handle the costs, but that's asking far too much of a divorced and unemployed man of working class means" (because this wasn't obvious enough to my former self, blinded by the idealistic notion of leaving home for something "different"). I would proceed to enumerate the consequences of my irresponsibility: "You'll rack up a tuition bill greater than your cumulative life earnings after two semesters. You'll come home for summer break, optimistic that you'll return in fall. You'll be wrong." So begins the frantic job search. "You'll come to resent the phrase 'prior experience needed'. Options are running slim. You'll join the Air Force Reserve in a futile attempt to mitigate this horrible situation. It won't be enough." That'll bring us to present day. "In following the path of greatest resistance, and while still very heavily indebted, you're finally back in school (one of manageable cost, at that). Save yourself some grief and live within your means, you dumb kid."

Cairon

I would tell myself to take more time out to study. I would have to tell myself to prepare for nights that you will be staying up to midnight or pass midnight completing homework or sudying for quizzes and exams. Here in college you have to work for your grade. There is no more smooth and steady and just cruising by through classes. It takes so much out of your own free time to study for tests that are few days away. The material at Missouri University of Science and Technology does not come to you that easy. It takes getting pass your own pride to go get help, that is heavily expressed on campus. There are resource centers, other students, professors, and administrators that are here for you. Even though you may have studied hard for a test it may not result in a good outcome.. There are times that you may be at your lowest because of that test that you did not do well on, but it takes alot to get back up and keep moving forward. Hopefully, on the next test you will show yourself that you have major comebacks for minor set backs.

I would first tell myself to learn better study habits. Just because you don't have to study very much in highschool to get good grades, does not in ANY way mean you won't have to work your butt off in college. I would also encourage myself to use the computer more often because so much of the work in college is on the computer and if you can't do it you are pretty much out of luck. My past self should also have worked harder at learning to make new friends. I would tell my past self that having the same best friend for thirteen years is awesome, but if you go to different colleges it is a little sad. Also, you will need help in college and if you had more people on campus that you could ask for help your life would be alot easier. The big thing is to learn good study habits! Tests are a large percent of your grade and classes are only a semester anyway. Lastly, be sure to remeber that God is always there for you!!

Justin

I would say that there is nothing that will fully prepare you for the transition from high school to college, but remember to focus on the important things and ignore the distractions right now. Take as many AP courses as you can in high school, trust me it's cheaper and probably easier this way. Also I would tell myself that living on your own is hard but you need to be ready for it, talk to strangers, be more outgoing in high school, it will help prepare you for independence away from your beloved family. But most importantly apply for as many scholarships as you can because you are most likely going to be broke for the next 4-5 years, but being less broke makes a world of a difference.

Gage

As a high schol senior, I was at a crossroads. I wanted to talk to other people, but I was very afraid, almost like I had a social phobia. At the same time, I wanted to meet new people, but was unsure how to go about doing it. My senior year was the mst miserable time I ever had in my life because of this. What I would tell my former self, given my current experience with college and life in general, is that not everyone is out to get me, and not everyone is evil. Back then, I would have been afraid to ask for help from anyone, but that's a very vital thing to do in college. Making friends, making connections, none of those things would have been possible for me back in high school. I would have told myself how important these skills are, and how to hone them.

Mathias

I would say to myself: "Mathias, I know you are worried about living on your own, how hard college is going to be, making friends, and all of the added responsibility, and you should be worried about it. I advise you not to worry about living on your own or making friends because the worst part about living on your own is cooking, which you do not have to do, and you will be living so closely to the thirty other students on your floor that there is no way that you will not make friends. What you really need to worry about is how hard college is going to be and the added responsibility. College will be the hardest thing that you have encountered so far. You need to mentally prepare yourself and make sure to focus on your school work by throwing all forms of entertainment out the window. Most importantly, you need to become a lot more organized and use your time more efficiently because you are responsible for a lot in college and you need to make time to get more involved to make yourself a more balanced student."

Briani

Please make sure to participate as much as possible. Your grades are outstanding so do not worry about them too much. I know that you do not like to be involved in social opportunities, but please believe me that it can do wonders for scholarship applications. I want you to get the most out of your education, so participate much more than you already are.

Lindsey

If I could go back in time and advise my younger self, I would tell myself to do a few different things. The first would be to take more dual-credit classes in high school. I transferred in 15 hours from high school work, but I know I could have taken more that would have helped in college. I would also tell myself that college is a place of freedom, which is great, but that freedom comes with a lot of responsibilities. I learned very quickly my first semester that I was going to have to study a whole lot more than I did in high school. I realized I could not just skim over my notes and then be ready for an exam, so I would tell my younger self to take studying in high school a little more seriously. The final thing I would tell my past self is that it is all going to work out. Dorms aren't as bad as I thought they would be, classes are hard, but not outrageous, and friends are easily made if you just step out of your comfort zone a bit.

Adrienne

I would like to tell my self that if you think your social life is going to be abruptly altered in college and that you can remake yourself in college; you are wrong. Yes, people change their values in college but the way you acted in highschool is only almost magnified in college. Also I would tell myself to remember that I am there in college to study. I only say this because I should not have picked a college based on sports opportunities. You will only be playing soccer for 5 more years max. Your future is what you do in the class room. Although it may seem as though soccer is your whole world your grades are what get you the career. I would also tell myself as much as I hated high school: not to forget my highschool friends because when your college friends become annoying you are going to want someone to talk to that is not your parents, and you will need them.

Please do not wait until the last minute to start writing your first speech. I know it seems as if it won't matter in the long run, but bad habits are hard to break. I promise the world does not come to an end because your second Chemistry grade is not what you will want it to be. You will get through it, and you will be thankful that your professor pushed you to try harder than you ever thought you could. Talk to the people who sit around you. You are going to need them to remind you of what is really important: giving one hundred percent at all times. Make sure you are present for all the little moments. Before you notice it, two years have passed. I told you it was not as difficult as it first appeared. Your teachers are not intimidating; they are wells of wisdom and advice. They love poring into their students. Always take time to speak with them and let them know how much you appreciate their help. And most importantly, do not sweat the small stuff.

Aaron

During my senior year of high school, I made no effort in trying to get involved with after school activities or getting to know my peers. I spent so much time studying to achieve good grades that I had such a miserable year. I applied that same study habit to my first semester of freshman year and it drove me mentally insane. I made no friends and went into an agonizing depression as I saw people enjoying the company of friends they have made. Although I achieved good grades, I was not happy and did not grow as a person. College is a place where one realizes their potential, which allows growth in character and knowledge. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say that grades are not the most important thing that you attain. It is the development of your character and willingness to try and learn new things. Through that, inner happiness can be found by realizing how much you’ve grown and learned as a person.

Calm down, plan everything out and focus more on your GPA than your social life. Save all the money you can, apply for more scholarships and make sure that you leave behind a legacy.

Kaylea

If I could go back and talk to my highschool self, there are a few things I would say. First, I would tell myself to take more college courses. Espicially the courses I didn't like, such as english, so I didn't have to take them in college. Next, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. College isn't cheap and I don't believe high schools minds quite understand that. Have an expense plan and budget and STICK TO IT! I would tell myself to study more for the ACT. A higher score equals MORE MONEY! I would tell meself that college isn't as scary as one thinks. That people are nicer than you imagine. So make friends. Go out and be social. Get involved early and make yourself known.

joshua

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college life and the transition high school, I would first and foremost emphasize the enormous change from high school to college life. It flipped my academic habits for the better, although I did make some mistakes along the way. Having been able to avoid those mistakes, and hit the gates running with confidence, I would have had much more success. I would have made sure that I knew exactly what I wanted for my life, exactly how I was going to do it, and nail down everything that would be expected of me in the years to come, from schooling, to relationships, social skills, to a career.

Jared

I would tell myself that going to class is the single most important aspect in suceeding college.

Jacqueline

Breathe. College is exciting, it's extravagant, and it's breathtaking. Take a moment and breathe it all in. Choosing a college is a big step in a young person's life and should be taken very seriously. Visit more universities, talk to more current students, and go outside of the state. Do not worry about where your current friends are going to attend school, just worry about who you are and where you fit in. Do not worry about making new friends and starting over that is the best part of college. Join as many clubs as you can. Put yourself out there and dive into something that makes you happy right away. Do not sit in your dorm room and play video games, explore the world, meet new people, because before you know it the real world is knocking on your door. So do not be nervous, I promise everything will be just fine. Pick a medium size school with lots of school spirit, you'd like that. Pick a school that has great academics, because after all that is what pursuing a college degree is all about. Oh, and one more thing, breathe it's okay.

Nicholas

Heading to college is an important time in everyone’s life and what you do to prepare can make for a much better college experience. If I could talk to my high–school senior self, I would tell myself a few ideas I need to work towards for the next year. I would first tell myself that I need to apply for as many scholarships as possible. These scholarships are necessary to graduate college without owing thousands of dollars from loans. Another key goal I need to finish would be to look at the extra-curricular activities and be sure to pick at least one that I would be willing to stick with for at least a year. These extra-curricular activities help out a lot with obtaining leadership, which eventually leads to obtaining a summer internship or a co-op. Finally, I would tell myself that before I stick to a major to make sure I like it first. I have currently switched three times and have fallen behind, so I would hope my high-school self would not make that mistake. This is the advice I would give to my past self.

Kelly

I would tell myself to be open to new methods of learning. Discover and branch out in the ways that you learn. Not everything will be the same as in high school. Some professors will lecture, some will strive their hardest to make you understand the material, while others will leave you on your own to teach yourself. In changing your ways, do not be afraid to ask for help. It will do you wonders and you will be much more masterful of the material. Schools provide the opportunities, you just have to seize them. Ask for help, ask questions, be friends with everyone- you never know who can help you the most; with school, careers and networking, or just in everyday things. You're here to learn, so learn as much as you can in the best ways possible.

James

This is your senior year and I know you are a bit anxious. Don’t be. The years after high school will be the beginning of your new life. And it will only get better each year. Sure, you are going to go to the local community college, but you will transfer within a reasonable amount of time. But there are some things I need to tell you. Every few semesters, you will have a pretty bad schedule. You and I both know that you are not a morning person, so spend a lot of time choosing your class schedules. Also, it is always a little scary meeting new people in each new class, but just remember to be an open-minded individual. Everyone is walking their own path. Another piece of advice, get a job! I mean, what’s a degree without work experience? The first job you are going to get will be horrible, so as soon you get that one, apply to different jobs. Last advice I will leave with you is this: always think positive thoughts. I know life will seem hard but it will always get better.

Christopher

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell him try hard my freshman year. It is the easiest year you will have at Missouri S&T and you will pick up good habits for studying and time management. Also, I would tell myself to not take Physics 23 and Calc 22 at the same time; both of these class are considered weed out classes, in which they weed out the people that should not be engineers, and if you take them at the same time you are going to spend all of your studying in your room by yourself. Overall though, I would tell myself you need to work hard but you also need to go out and meet some people. I have made some great friends here at Rolla but we all are going to graduate sooner or later and so you should have fun and hangout with your friends whenever you can.

Laura

Dear Self, My advice to you is this: know yourself. Do everything in your power to discover, embrace, celebrate, and remain true to the real you. Right now, more than ever before, people are expecting things from you-great things. But I caution you: do not meet their expectations! Exceed them…not by becoming the best version of who they think you should be, but rather, the best version of who you already are. It’s not smart to choose a major simply because it will make you look smart. There is no wisdom in selecting a sagely career if it means ignoring your true calling. The world doesn’t need another high-achiever. The world needs the matchless, irreplaceable gift that you are: your unique hobbies, quirky personality traits, the things that break your heart, the things that bring you great joy…that’s what makes you, you! Don’t try to prove yourself. Don’t try to find yourself. You don’t need to look for what you already have. Your story has been written. Don’t let anyone re-write it for you. Know yourself…simply know yourself. Sincerely, You

Clinton

If I had one 'do over in my life' It would be to complete my education because that what really imperative in life for your independence and being a productive citizen. My choice to leave school before completing my education was irresponsible. My life experience that I have encountered leads me to believe that education is the key to being a productive member of society. If giving this opportunity I will share my experiences with some one that‘s about to make that mistake of leaving school. Your education should be primary to each and everyone that enters College.

Nikki

Go all out! SInce coming to college, it's been tough meeting up wiith everyone from high school. So take those chances,those trips and make memories. Don't be afriad to network or to be assertive...it wil be good practice for when you get to college. Also don't forget to do research...not only for the college you want to attend as far as academically, but what you can do on campus and look to see what difference you can make on campus. Be honest with yourself and don't hesitate to be different. AND always, always remember that whatever you put in, whatever you are willing to share is what you will get out of everything you do. SO don't be shy to ask questions, you are in college to learn. I wish you the best of luck and God Bless!

My senior year of high school was the busiest year of my life. Between IB exams, scholarship applications, and classwork, I didn't think about the transition from high school to college. If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself to be more accepting of change. College has been the best experience of my life, but during the first months of school, I stubbornly kept the same routines I had in high school. I studied by myself a lot, didn't get to know many people in my classes, and didn't get involved in the community. Because I went to a small out-of-state college, I didn't know anyone from my hometown, and it was very easy to lock myself away in my dorm-room. A lesson I learned quickly is that having friends to help you through rough times is much more important than studying. When classwork seemed overwhelming or several exams were scheduled for the same week, I needed the support network of other people to help me through. Once I changed my attitude and started getting involved, my grades improved, and I began to understand what makes college so amazing.

Racheal

Hi Racheal, What a journey. You’ve finally made it to your senior year of high school and you fought to the top. I’m will not tell you everything you should do because some mistakes mold you into who you become. However as heads up, senior year is going to be hard; it might be your last year but it’s very important. Keep doing well in your classes and pay attention because you will be taking all your AP tests, and you have to study hard for them so that you can get a good score and have some credits transferred in for college, especially chemistry. Also use this year to focus on track. Try to get your times down and don’t you dear mention to the couches that you run the 800 meter run because they will make you run it and you know how much you hate running it. I know you say that you do not was to continue track in college but if you try to picture life without track you cannot. I promise that you will make lifelong friends along the way and travel while doing what you love. Love forthcoming you

I would tell myself that attending a community college is definately the best choice before transferring to MS&T. I would say to give up on silly online games and focus more on Studying the fundamental courses that I took in my first two years. I would tell myself that I am an example learner and that it would be in my best interest to talk to my professors a lot outside of class and get as many examples worked out in front of me as I could. I would tell myself to get more sleep during the week, and do whatever I could to stay awake in my classes, becuase you it's very dis-respectful to sleep in a class when a professor is spending their time trying to teach you. I tell myself to get to know the other students at my community college really well, because I will be living with them for the next two years. I would warn myself against a particular room-mate that has very...different views on cleaning and proper care of the home. I would tell myself to save up as much money as I can, and not eat out.

Mary

Missouri S&T was my last choice in university. I am originally from St. Louis and wanted to move as far away as possible. I applied to universities on both coasts, in the south, and in the north; Missouri S&T was the only one within several hundred miles of St. Louis. However, due to financial reasons I ended up attending Missouri S&T. My high school self was disappointed, devastated that my high-reaching plans did not succeed the way I originally intended. The best advice I could have given myself at that point in my life is that each experience is what you make of it. No, things don't always work out the way you plan them. Yes, sometimes life takes an unexpected path despite your great attempts to prevent it. Yet if you commit to that path, make the most of each experience you are given, then things will always work out for the best. I am now very involved on campus, have a part-time job, am participating in undergraduate research this summer, and studying abroad in Hong Kong next fall. Life is what you make of it.

Brennan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself how to study more efficiently, not to procrastinate, and to stay on top of my classes and scholarship applications. I was forced to learn the hard way how to study, resulting in grades that were much lower than I had expected. I also had a bad tendency of procrastinating during the first semester, and at a university as hard as this one, that won't get me very far. I would make sure that I knew exactly how hard my first semester in college would be, and better prepare myself for the hard times.