Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Modesto Junior College

Yelena

Considering the fact that there is no actual opportunity to go back in time to my former self and give some advice on how to better make the transition between high school and college life, I am glad to have this chance to ponder some ways that I could have transitioned better. Firstly, I would have loved to have been more informed about the many various scholarship opportunities that I had missed out on. As a high school student, I did not apply myself to many activities and groups available there. Now, I would say to take advantage of your high school teachers and all the programs that exist. The many scholarships that are out there could have made my life easier and I would not have been so worried about the 500 dollar average spent on books and the money on gas and other supplies. The other piece of advice I would give myself would be to take more Advanced Placement classes. The reason is that all the AP classes I took and passed have really helped in college and have made me a well-rounded student. Lastly, college life is still stressful, so get used to it.

I wish that I had known how hard it would be to get into the classes I needed the first couple of semesters. I realized this when in one class, the weightlist was longer that the class size. I also wish I had known how challenging the coursework was and how much reading we have to do each evening for almost every class. High school did not really prepare me for reading 50 pages or more a night and it definitely did not prepare me for the long waitlists that are here.

Modesto Junior College is a pretty small place in comparison to universities, however it is an awesome school with lots of patient and wonderfully helpful professors and faculty. The worst thing about this school is the traffic. It is always packed and the parking lots are full by 10:00am. If you are running late and need to find parking, your best bet is to park alongside the road and walk for at least five minutes. Although this school has a lot of good things to offer, the parking makes getting to class stressful every morning.

Chad

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior i would tell myself to try harder at looking for a good college instead of putting it aside for later. I would say that if you don't go to college right away it would be a mistake because you would be losing valuable learning opportunities. Taking the year off that I have was a mistake and I wouldn't make the same one again. I would also tell myself to try harder in all of my classes because those are some classes that i may have to take again when I get to the college level.

Lakeshia

I would say if i could describe my school in one sentence i would say competitive.

My school is best known for being academically more advanced then most junior colleges in the surrounding area. You have more academic choices when it comes to classes in any other college in this area. And it is more likely that you'll transfer to any school you choice to go because of the transfer rates are really high.

If i could go back in time as a high school senior and tell myself anything i would tell myself to better prepare for college on all levels. Mentally, financially, and emotionally. My first semester wasn't easy because my high school didn't too much prepare for what college life was going to be like. Fighting for classes and the homework level was mentally and emotionally draining. I would also tell myself to prepare financially for college. I wish i would have contacted my financial aid office at the school more before school started then after. It would have prevented my parents from having to pay my first semester in school. I would also tell myself to relax more and understand that everything good doesn't come without a struggle. So work hard and understand that just because times are hard in the beginning it doesn't mean it'll always be hard.

My classmates come from all walk of life with one purpose in mind, to better improve their lives in someway through education...

If I was able to go back to my high school senior year I would tell myself several things. One topic would be to take a full year off before going to college and experiencing life, do not trust your job and the promises that they are making. Go on the volunteer trip to Australia and soak up everything that you can. Do not be so shy while meeting new people. There will be many situations in which your life will be enriched if you put yourself out there earlier. Take a mixture of classes, take two serious classes, one fun class, and one PE class. Do not let three bad planning meetings make you wait until the end of your Junior College career to go back and seek advice. While applying for college write fun and creative essays. Be unique?remember the panel is probably reading tons of these essays. Find creative ways to make ours stand out. Spend the night at the college you are interested in. See if you can sit in on a class or attend a weekend activity to get a real sense of the environment. And more importantly ? have fun.

Whether that person is black, white, tan, purple, striped, or polka dotted, anyone who wants to enrich their lives to a better status through education should be allowed to attend school.

Joyce

They have a great Business program where the teachers know what they are teaching and the teachings are easy to understand. The Dean of Business is a fantastic man who loves business and whats everyone else to love it as well.

If I could go back in time and tell myself how college would be, I would have to remind myself that college is not like high school. There are many obstacles that you endure and there are many times that you have to choose if you want to go on with your education or quit. I would also tell myself that it is much harder than you think it might be. The mid-terms and finals are extremely hard but if you study and focus hard on them you will do perfectly fine. Don?t get discouraged when you do not get perfect grades because college has its way of boosting your self-esteem. Be excided as you already are because it is worth it.

Anyone should attend this school. It is amazing in everything because all the teachers I have encountered always have a positive attitude.

Angelica

If I could go back to High school to talk to myself it would be thrilling knowing I had another chance to go to a university and not go to a junior college. As of now I would say to myself that apply as to many schools as possible and learn as much as possible. But the most important is to enjoy and have pride at the school your in. It may not be just as if it was high school considering its a college but try and go out for sports and interact with everyone and socialize and enjoy. College is about experience from classes to friends and learning about yourself to know what are your weaknesses to what you can over come to be in life. It may range with those but it shows you that you can do many things that the mind can offer. For example, "teachers wanting to teach to making new friends". All you have to do is try and do your best and thats all you can really hope for and know that you did try and that you wont have to look later back at life wondering why you didn't try.

It's really not easy to get involved in a junior college. I have to say its one of the hardest things that you can face. Your in a transition from a four year high school to going to a university. Your just inbetween and it doesn't seem as fun as it use to be. You face a challenge of having to try to find that time to do social activities and it just doesn't work. I came from a high school where i use to play sports all four years and now its nothing.

The most frustrating thing about our school is that the parking is horrible. But what can you do? Besides the parking its the social activity. It's not fun and nothing to do. It's as if you never went to college and you don't get that over all exsperience. Teachers at this school dont really care at all it's really sad. It's all about the money. It's really hard to come by nowandays trying to figure out where your going to get it and where its going to come from.

Kaci

As a local community college, Modesto Junior College helps prepare students complete their prerequisite classes and transfer to a state or university college or earn their Associates Degree, all while providing a safe, fun, interactive campus close to home.

As a freshman in college now, I have realized the big difference between college and high school. Some may say the difference is minimal, but to me, it was a huge change. If I were to go back to give myself advice as a high school senior, I'd tell myself not to give up. I'd also tell myself to apply to multiple colleges and try your best to get in them. College is a once in a lifetime opportunity and picking the best one is hard. But, I'd tell myself to visit more colleges and get a feel for the differences in them. I probably would advise myself to aim for the highest college and to stay focused while applying. I'd also inform myself to chose college classes wisely and even out the work loads among the semesters. College is a great experience and it takes a lot to transition from a high school senior on top of the school, to a freshman in college, back to the bottom.

Modesto Junior College is very close to home. You can save money by attending the community college for two years, then later transferring out to a state or university college. Books and tuition is cheap, and there are so many great opportunities on campus. Especially if you are undecided on your major, MJC will help you get your prerequisities out of the way. Classes are offered all year long and are easy to get into. Because of the small school size, student-teacher interaction is very close. Overall, Modesto Junior College is the way to go.

College is a new environment to make new friends, it can be overwelming at first buut then you fell more comfortable.

If I could go back talk to myself as a senior in highschool. I would say take as many classes as you can, classes are easier in highschool. And you have to pay for them in college.

I wish I knew where everything was before i came to this campus but, as school goes on you eventually figure it out by yourself.

Kelsey

MJC is a great campus to go to before putting yourself into a university.

MJC is a great campus to go to before putting yourself into a university.

Many are here to actually learn and it's easy to see the students who are really taking the class for a reason.

When choosing what class times to take, be realistic. Don't assume that just because you sign up for a saturday class means that you will attend it. Also, when choosing classes, it's good to stick to an educational plan. While sticking to those core classes, it wouldn't hurt to take a few classes you know that you will find interesting that may even work toward your educational goal. Give yourself time between classes to grab a snack or rest for a bit. You'll burn yourself out if you just keep going all day long. College is a fun experience and you can enjoy it if you are willing to stick to it.

Modesto Junior College has many different cultures and ethncities attending, enriching the learning environment and teaching students not only about the curriculmn they are studying, but also teaching them to build social networks with individuals they may have never interacted with previously.

My classmates are intelligent and eager to learn.

I would tell myself to prepare to enter the greatest competition I have ever participated in. College is just the beginning of a brutal competion called life. College is the vessel, the instrument that prepares you for life and the career and social networks that will support you throughout the rest of your life. To view college as a party experience or a chance to get away from home is the wrong approach. In college, you should be selfish and studious, always learning and challenging your knowledge. Graduation is only the beginning. In these times of harsh economies, it is truly an employers market and knowledge in your chosen field is not enough. You have to be able to stand apart from the millions of other graduates, have some piece of knowledge or an outstanding personality that sets you apart from the individual who has been in your industry for years, but is willing to settle for an entry level position so that he can feed his family. The college experience is a lesson, a life learning event, that will affect the rest of your life more than other single event. Fight for victory, fight to win, fight for knowledge.

Modesto Junior College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.