Utica, NY
Mohawk Valley Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mohawk Valley Community College

DaShon

Mohawk Valley has a plethora of extracurricular activities and places great emphasis on diversity. They have something called a cultural series which includes movies, performances, lectures, and other mediums that explore and highlight diversity. The professors are exceptional as is the quality of education. There are many majors to choose from in addition to certificate programs. The faculty are ever eager to help and be of assistance. They make themselves available to you which is extremely helpful. I personally have built a few incredible relationships with a few of my professors. The food isn't that great but there are 3 eateries on campus to choose from and there is always pizza, sandwiches, and a salad bar are always available. It’s not completely horrible, it’s just not good every day. The dorms are really nice and come fully equipped with furniture, cable, washers and driers and microwaves. It doesn’t cost anything to do your laundry which is amazing. It is a dry campus so there is no drinking allowed but there are bars and clubs to go to and there is usually always an event happening on the weekend, either at the bars or clubs or at one of the surrounding colleges. There are study abroad opportunities offered every semester which gives students the opportunity to travel to different countries and learn different things. Counseling is made free and available on campus which I think is amazing, mental health is important. All in all, MVCC is a decent school.

Joseph

Overall I found it to be an excellent college that gets belittled far more than it deserves. Academically I found it to be excellent, one is able to get an education on par with any university for a fraction of the cost. As a current student working for my bachelors I should know, one semester at MVCC costs less than the meal plan for one semester at my current school. I found the professors and staff to be both sincere and professional. No matter what the question or problem may be there was always someone willing to go above and beyond to help. The campus itself was designed with the students and staff in mind, all buildings are set up in such a way that makes it easy to navigate throughout the campus and there are plenty of signs to help new students who may be a little turned around. This school also offered many Diversity and Global View events, better known as DGV's, that gave students and non-students alike many great opportunities to experience many different cultures and events that they may not normally have access to. Mohawk Valley Community college is a fine institution that looks after the best interests of all students who enroll. The education I received here is something I will always cherish. This college was the first stepping stone in the long road of education, and I am thankful for the opportunities that my education has granted me.

Barry

Mohawk Valley Community College is a great stepping stone for high school graduates, returning adult students, and anyone who just wants to get a start towards accomplish their goals. Excellent transfer connections to 4 year schools. Class room sizes are small to medium with full professor attention and accessibility.

B
Safety is a concern

Safety is a concern

Some of the faculty are good, but safety in this campus is one of my main concerns. When I reported my case of molestation to the college, nothing was done. My case was ignored in favor of the student who hurt me, so my reporting the case had gone to waste. The people who tried to help me could only do so much; the persons who were supposed to help me didn't even TRY. So if safety is also a concern of yours, BEWARE.

tony
you bet

it s quaint, but good

you bet

it s quaint, but good

Lacey

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her to really try and figure out what you want to do with your life. Now that I am 25 and going back to college, it is a lot harder than it would have been if I would have gotten a useful degree when I went the first time. I would tell myself that trying to balance work, marriage, paying bills, taking care of a house, and school is going to be very difficult. There are many long days that come with working full time and pursuing a degree in Nursing. I would tell her to not settle for things because your mom makes you think that is as good as it can get for you. I would tell her that she is smarter than she thinks and that she can do anything she wants as long as she keeps her mind to it.

They have small class sizes. The admissions counselors really try to help you out and get you in the right classes for what you need. There are also many online classes available.

Someone who is working full time and trying to go back to school, because they offer a lot of night classes.

Lindey

Mohawk Valley Community College is a great college to start off at if you want a good foundation to allow you to transfer on to a four-year school.

Mohawk Valley Community College is best know for it's cultural diverstiy and efforts to expose its students to different cultural activities.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there's a lot I would say. The transition from high school to college isn't as easy as I thought it would be, you have to make new friends at a new school all while emersing yourself in new, more challenging classes. No one really holds your hand through college so my advice to myself would be to make sure that the school you end up going to is really what will make you happy in the end, not your parents, not your friends, and not your boyfriend, YOU! Don't choose your school soley on its price or closeness to home, go where you can see yourself growing and learning while still enjoying your time there because you don't want to waste any of it. This is a time for you, so take it and don't let anyone tell you what's right for you, they're not you and this is your life. Just follow your dreams and never back down, everything else will fall into place.

Alex

Incredibly diverse, people of all races and origins. Its an incredibly open and active place fully supportive of the vast variety of groups and clubs that are offered.

People may think a lot of the students are inner-city kids going to a community college because they have to but that's completely false! There is a wide variety of view points and types of people at the campus and the majority of them are there to get their degree and move on to a four year college.

The class sizes are small, 20-30 people per room usually, and the professors are incredibly attentive, they learn your name and for most the office hours are flexible so that you can meet them one on one outside of class so that you can get to know them and get help in your major and in the course.

Courtney

Mohawk Valley Community College accepts all students from all kinds of backgrounds and gives each student the opportunity to improve their futures whether through the great science and engineering programs to the diverse art and design classes that are offered at an affordable price both for the students and parents.

I would advise my high school self to be myself and not to be afraid to make friends or be afraid to make mistakes. I will get a B or a C but I am still capable to going anywhere I want. The friends I make will support me through the times of studying and rough quizzes. They will also be there to laugh with because you are allowed to do that in college even if the studies is extremely difficult. I would also tell myself not to allow relationships to hold me back from doing what I really want to do. Do not feel obligated, I am still young. That boyfriend will not always be there but the passion for my studies will be. My final piece of advice would be good luck, college might be more difficult then high school but it is still a lot of fun especially when studying what you like.

MVCC is a great school but it is a community college and many students that attend there do not always care about their studies or the studies of other students and they disrupt classes, taking away from the time the teacher needs to instruct.

Scott

If I could go back in time to give myself advice, I would have to tell myself to save my money and to apply to every scholarship that I was eligible for. I learned from moving up to college that some of the things I thought I would need in my dorm room, have sat in my closet or in my desk the entire time. I could have saved my money for other things that I came to need during my life on the dorms. However I think that scholarships would have been the biggest advice I would have given myself. I?ve learned that there were many scholarships that I would have been eligible for my senior year if I had looked a little harder for them. Scholarships would have been very useful for every year of college, not just the later years. Apply to every one that you can find!

People who don?t work well with others should not attend this college. Also a person that doesn?t want to future themselves and opportunities for a better future should definitely not attend this college.

There are small class sizes, many opportunities; and all the buildings are centrally located. The dorms are convenient, access to the buses, and low costing.

Mohawk Valley Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.