Utica, NY
Mohawk Valley Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mohawk Valley Community College

Gina

It's known as a great transfer school. Also, I've heard we have a great ESL program.

I would tell myself to learn to better manage my time. I would also tell myself to not ignore my online classes, and to do the discussion board questions. I didn't realize until it was too late how badly that would set me back. Lastly, I would tell myself to not be afraid to ask questions, because that is what the professors are hired to do. My first year, I was so shy and nervous that I did not ask many questions, and I feel like I would have had a much better experience if I had kept all this in mind.

I wish I knew what my plan for after school was. I changed majors twice. It wasted a whole semesters' worth of credits. I also had no idea whether or not I'd be going on after I get my Associates. If I did, I would've started dealing with researching 4 year schools and scholarships much sooner than I did.

Joseph

I would tell myself that certainly I was heading for a major point in my life and that it would be tough at first, but if I work hard I will be able to do it. I would also tell myself that it was ok to be a little nervous, but do not be scared. Just keep working and continue to study hard. If you do that you will succeed. I would also tell myself do not let anybody tell you, that you can not persue or are not capable of what you want to do. If that is what you love and want, work even harder to prove them wrong, because when you do, you will feel great. It is not an easy task that is going to be set for you , but if you have the drive and work hard. You will be able to do anything and everything you want.

The best thing about my school are the starting programs and Transfer agreements it has with many colleges in NYS. Mvcc also allowed me to save money as well as get college experience with out being thrown out on my own at a university. The transfer agreements allow alot of flexibility to students currently attending the college. You have the added of comfort of knowing that if you keep up with the guidelines the university you want to attend sets in the transfer agreement, all your credits and most importantly you should be able to tranfer with no problem.

I tell them that I am saving about 35 thousand dollars a year and will be just as eligible for the professional phase of the Doctor of Pharmacy program as someone attending a four year university or Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences ( the school i want to attend ). That really catches their attention and they certainly find out if they can do the same thing I am doing, with the program or major they want to persue.

Meeting different types of people in college was refreshing. There is such a huge change going from high school - with all its groups and ranks into college where everyone in your class is at the same level as you are. Some of the people you meet will influence you for the rest of your life. In a way it is terrifying but at the same time there is an adventure to be had in every new classroom! Life is like an empty book and high school was just a dark chapter but college is the chapter that changes your life.

If I could go back to my former high school self and offer any bit of advice - I would tell myself to get extra help in mathematics. In highschool I struggled through Math A and barely passed the regents exam. My parents helped me find a tutor to push me through Math B. I was always, without fail a high 90's student but when it came to math my brain seemed to shut down. I could not think inside the box and math would not let me think outside the box. After passing the Math B regents by the skin of my teeth I quit taking mathematics courses in highschool. However, much to my dismay I found out that math will never go away. When you get to college it is still there staring you boldly in the face with its ugly formulas and greek symbols. My placement test sent me reeling into MA 050, a remedial math course which I could not pass no matter how hard I tried. With America falling behind in Science and Mathematics (the future of our world) I would tell myself and all highschool students to push themselves to meet the coming storm!

The very worst thing about Mohawk Valley Community College is the lack of space. There are only four main buildings where classes are held. Overall the campus is incredibly small with little to offer the students for entertainment. Being on campus is much like being trapped in a jail cell. The administration makes it exceptionally difficult for anyone to access the gymnasium without having to pull teeth or sacrifice an arm and a leg. To make that matter worse the food was costly and it was absolutely terrible for you. Hello freshmen fifteen!

Christina

MVCC is known for being a good community college. They offer many online courses to make it easier for students.

I would tell myself to at least go to classes until the course is finished. Maybe someday you will want to go back to school, and the bad grades that you have obtained because you decided to stop going to classes hurts your GPA.

Some teachers do not follow their own grading system. When a teacher lays out a grading system and uses 30 points for participation and does not give them all to you, even though you clearly participated with documented proof (online).

Kenneth

Efficient as a communicator of neccesary skills to begin a college study toward a four year degree completed elsewhere.

I would need to tell myself that it is the journey as well as the result of a college education that is important. within the time that is spent in higher education one has a chance to define themselves and the need to enter with a rigid plan will most likely be recognized as effectually, a closed mind. I now realize that the begining of a higher intellectual capacity is only attainable through an open mind and that in maintaining this flexibility I become supportive of life around me. If the pursuit of happiness is as important a goal as anyone could strive to, then a definition of happiness is best found in the word "eudaimonia"; the happiness attained by an active life spent engaged in the service of others. Go and do likewise.

I am not a braggart, however, I might point out that the school that I attend has a good flow of humanity that seems to associate well together and stimulate a fellowship of ideals and passions.

Shanique

MVCC is a fun and cofortable school, it provides a comfortable work environment and the education is fun. They also make learning suitable for students who work and can not get to a classroom by providing internet courses.

Starting college was very hard for me my first semester i was not mentally prepared or focused and i wasnt motivated enough to push myself to get good grades. So if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior i would tell myself first that college life is very serious,and that it takes alot of hard work to get good grades. I would say that you dont get many chances to catch up with work and the professors take assignment deadlines very serious. I would also tell myself that i would need to be focused, because in college there is alot of freedom, and that makes it alot easier for us to get lazy and start slacking, and its not like highschool where they offer classes to help make up the grades . college is an entry to adult hood and its all about being goal orientated there's room for fun but school work comes first.

The type of person that should not attend this school would be someone who is lazy and not focused.

Laura

Dear Laura, I'm writing to you today as your 44-year-old self with advice on your future. First of all, you probably think that you are invincible and don't need to listen to adults because you are "grown -up" and already know it all. You're wrong. Adults do have a thing or two to say, and some of it might actually make life easier for you. Just because you're graduating with a Cosmetology degree, you still need more education. People that have a college education earn far more than those with only a high school diploma. That's not just me blowing smoke, it's a proven fact. Not to make this sound like a lecture, but you also need to stop taking your senior year so lightly. Yes, you can have fun, but you don't need to be partying so much. It would'nt hurt you to apply yourself to your schoolwork a little bit more, either. Good grades now mean scholarships and an easier time in college. In summary, work hard now, and it will pay off later. Believe me, I speak from experience and have only your best interest in mind.

Honestly, I don't think there is a bad thing about my campus. Parking is sometimes difficult, but not impossible.

I think that this is a good school for anyone that may have an undecided major. It 's also a good school to attend to get your general education requirements done. The price is reasonable, teachers are nice and considerate, and it's a beautiful campus.

Charlotte

MVCC is now known for its Nursing program.

MVCC is now known for its Nursing program.

If only I could go back in time to inform myself what I now know about college life. If given the chance I would tell myself to go to a college just far enough away(and where the snow doesnt fall!) that staying in the dorms was needed, so that I could finially learn what its like to take care of myself by myself. Also, that once you start studying its not so bad, so study from the beginning and do not wait untill the last minute! Finially, I would tell myself that meeting new people isnt so hard and actually turns out to be fun.

Knowing that I should have taken higher math classes and deffinitly taken sociology class in high school would have been helpful to me.

Daniel

It is much cheaper than the other schools that i have checked into, and it is only a half hour away.

Well 2010 would be my first year as a college student. But if i had to give my self some adviced it would be to take advantage of the classes and time that is given to you in high school. When i was in high school it was a choice for me. I really didn't have a structured home so i went to school as much as i thought nessesary. Now i realize all of it was nessesary because im going to be paying for most of the classes that were given for free. I passed with a local deploma and then took a couple of years off from school. It seemed more like a chore when i was in high school. Now I know that going to college is for me and my future of being sucessful. I would be more applying these days.

I don't brag but the reason that i chose to go to mohawk vally rome branch is that it is close. Plus its much more affordable for me.

Ciarelys

Wow, if I could go back in time from when I was a highschool senior the advice I would give myself is to get a head start!!! I would tell myself to shake off the Senioritis and to not slack. I left all my applications until last minute and I only visited one college ahead of time. It's important to visit those colleges that you're considering and maybe even possibly spend a day on campus when classes are in session to see whether the environment suits you. Another important piece of advice is to research the colleges your considering applying to see what the admission requirements are. It's important that in that last year of school you get everything done possible (SAT's ACT's,Grades!) so that you're not limited in where you can attend because you have no other choice. Speak to someone who's been in your shoes not too long ago and ask them for advice on getting the application process started. And one more important thing to start considering is to find out what you're passionate about, do some soul searching figure out what you want to study!Good Luck!

I think the worst part of my school is first registering for classes. When I first attended I had a lot of difficulty registering for classes and when a problem arose I was given the run around on numerous occasions and it seemed like each department worked independently and were very disconnected. I had no idea what I was doing and was lost and a bit scared when I was first going to attend MVCC and it took me a while to get used to but I got the hang of it.

The type of person who should attend this school is someone who may not be looking to be in school for a long time but desires to improve their employment status and economic status in a short time with the many associates degrees that MVCC has to offer. A lot of working adults who work and have started their own lives attend MVCC without difficulty. It's very flexible and there are a number of resources to help in whatever is needed.

Mohawk Valley Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.