Monmouth, IL
Monmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth College

Michelle

Monmouth College's campus is beautiful; I fell in love on my first visit. The layout is very convenient and space efficient. Anywhere on campus is a five minute walk. The surrounding town is quite small with few places to eat and shop. However, those few places are very good, and Galesburg, 20 minutes away, has many more options. The academics are very rigorous and hold strong to the Liberal Arts tradition. With keeping to tradition, the college does not accept online classes for credits. Overall, I learned a lot and met many interesting people. I am confident that Monmouth College will lead me to a successful career and life.

maribel

Overall, Monmouth College is a very rounded College. There is so much that only a student can be a part of. We are a liberal arts college, and, yet, we are a family. Everybody knows mostly everybody. Professor to student ratio is amazing. Off campus is fantastic as well. We recognize the problems of our school or any other world-wide/ known problem, and fight for human rights and freedom of well, life. We are well diverse in everything. For our Greek Life and other extracurricular organization's they are all under the word of philanthropies. Everything is for a good cost, whether to help the school, others across the world or in the community itself. We are always up for a task, whether it is the Art organizations painting a new mural, the Fighting Scots winning another football/basketball/volleyball/water polo/softball/baseball/track/swimming/or any other sport played, or just plain helping the community. Being from the Chicago city myself, in a now rural, quiet place has really opened my eyes a bit more on what happens in many other places. Not all of us are from the same place either, some are even from Syria, Columbia, Ghana, Japan, Dominican Republic, and other places. Just know, that Monmouth College is a safe, behaved, diverse, and fun place to call home. GO FIGHTING SCOTS!!

Yaritza

Monmouth College is like a jewel; small yet precious.

Monmouth College is like a jewel; small yet precious.

Yaritza you will be told plenty of times “your college years will be the best years of your life,” “college will be fun” but guess what? It’s not true. College will be hard, it will be challenging and there will be moments where you will find yourself questioning why you even went to college to begin with. There will be moments that you want to give up, but the best advice I can give you is the following: Life is hard, nothing good comes easy. Don’t ever seek the easy way out, because there is no such thing. You simply have to find something hard that is worthwhile to you!

The worse thing about my school would be the fact that there is not a large diversity. As a Latino, I noticed that other minorities eventually dropped out afer their freshman year. This ocurrs because they do not feel welcomed and Monmouth College was not able to retain them.

Jacob

As a NCAA Division III school, you have the ability to compete in sports. For example, I run Cross Country and Track for the school, whereas I would not have been able to at a bigger school. Also, there is alot of camraderie here.

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self any advice, it would be the importance of networking. What I have learned while here is that you need to get to know people, because you never know how they will benefit you in the future. For example, I talked with a professor who is not even in my department and she got me in contact with a former student of hers who is now working in the White House as an aid. Another very important thing to remember is that it is not who you know, it is who knows you. What this means is that people you get to know can give recommendations for you while you are searching for oppurtunities, internships, and eventually jobs. You never know who you are talking to and how they can benefit you in the future. What I would suggest to do is make business cards to hand out to people, because that gives them your name to remember.

A person who is not driven towards their goal or that is not outgoing. Studies are the most important thing at Monmouth College, and you must work hard to do well here. Also, being social helps expand your college experiance here.

Elisabeth

Hey Elisabeth, Congratulations! You've officially graduated highschool. And now you're off to bigger and better things,college for one thing. You're most likely a little nervous about what exactly lies ahead in the next chapter of life and well, I wanted to make things a little easier for you. A couple things I've learned : You can do whatever you put your mind to. You can learn new things even when you think you can't. And you can suceed at things you've never tried before. Hard work does pay off. So does being kind and gracious to those around you. You never know when your smile might be just the remedy for someone's bad day. Remember that who you are and what you believe in truly does matter and nothing, absolutely nothing is worth tossing that away. It's not worth trying to fit in with the "In Crowd", it's not worth getting that perfect grade or dating the perfect person. Remember to keep your head held high, even when you don't feel like it. And remember that you are beautiful, just the way you are.

Shawndra

In my opinion, the close student-teacher relationships are unique as well as the students in general. I also think our mascot and scottish roots are very unique.

I I could go back in time to give yself some advice, I would just remind myself to remain focused even throgh the tired nights I am struggling, take advantage of any opportunity that comes my way, and become more skilled at networking and contacting people who can potentially help me with a problem I may be having.

The worst thing I consider about my school is that the surrounding environment does not have much. Being from this city, I am use to corner stores and shopping malls and there is neither.

Monmouth college is a school that is unforgettable, each student will recieve an education they will value for a lifetime.

Monnmouth College is all about being involved and doing well in school. This school is one where everyone is too friendly not to be involved. Way more than half of the students who attend here are involved in some other type of extra curricular which was perfect for me since I was highly involved in high school. I believe Monmouth College is unique in a sense that the liberal arts education you recieve gets you to think outside the box and to see things in other ways other than your own.

I would tell myself to choose a school based on your future, not what you are interested in right now. Making the transition from high school to college, I choose a school where I could play softball. Softball was a great thing for me to join but I was very close minded coming into college. I believe I would tell myself to get involved in other things and meet people who are different from you because they truly do have amazing things to offer you such as different views on the world. I would also tell myself to get out of the dorm room and meet other people other than the girls that mainly lived on my floor. I would tell myself how important it is to think outside the box and be accepting of new experiences because those experiences will make for a life changing college experience.

Andrea

The campus is fairly small, so students don't have to feel overwhelmed with trying to figure out how long it will take to get to class everyday. Larger campuses have this problem. The teachers at this college are also amazing. Most of them have travelled abroad, and they all know their subjects very well. They are all exprets in their field, and some have even published books on their subjects. They are also very good at listening to helping their students through their course work problems, sometimes even life problems.

I know that it will be hard, but you have to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. What your fellows students, friends, family, and teachers think of you doesn't matter. You are a procrastinator because you worry about not living up to their expectations. So you put everything off until the last moment; which causes you so much stress that you make yourself sick and have to miss class just to finish assignments and make yourself feel better. This doesn't help, because now you start feeling bad about missing class. Just stop. Everything will be fine. You are very smart, even if you don't want to admit it. Find the things and the people you love and cling to them. They will get you through the scary times. Just let go. Not everything have to be perfect. Trust me, the best papers are the ones you write on a spur of the moment inspiration. They are also the ones that your teachers will praise you for. Live your life, don't let the day-to-day tasks put you down. You are so much better than that. So don't give up on yourself.

I wish I had known exactly how expensive this college was. It is a very good school, but it is quite the hassle on the wallet. I also wish I had known that sororities and fraternaties weren't at all like they are described in the movies. I would have joined one a lot sooner. They open up so many networks, and you are able to make so many friends just by being invited into one. It is a very good opportunity to get your name out there after you graduate.

Marian

My classmates are incredibly helpful, fun, and no matter what class I happen to be in at a given time, always turn out to be instant friends.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so many things to tell myself. Words of caution, words of warning, and words of reassurance would all fly to my lips. Don't focus so much on boys--the end of a relationship is not necessarily the end of the world. Be careful who you trust with your personal life--people so seem to be friends in the beginning may turn out to be not-so-friendly later on in the school year. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! Last minute projects and papers that you could pull off all through high school will not cut it in college. This is the grown-up world, and you're going to have to start acting like it. On the other hand, I would also tell myself to loosen up. Being away from home isn't nearly as scary as you think it is. Go to parties, talk to people you think are interesting, put yourself out there. These are your college years--make them as memorable as possible. Those are the things I would tell myself if I could go back in time.

The small class size is definitely the best aspect of Monmouth College. Almost every professor in a given major knows each of their students personally. Each major field of study really becomes a family within the larger Monmouth family. Additionally, the small class sizes allows for more one-on-one time with professors. They have more available office hours, and it is indcredibly easy to organize a meeting with any of your professors.

Zachary

The worst thing is also the best thing. The campus is etremely small and very personal. At the same time that means that if someone does something wrong, everyone knows and everyone judges.

The fact that if you don't have a car, you don't have anyway to get to places. The college is located in a small town and there is nothing to do on weekends that is off campus and in walking distance.

Monmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.