Monmouth, IL
Monmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth College

Morgan

While in high school I had the opportunity to do otwo years of high school and two years of college. As my senior class moved throughout early college we always had the oppourtunity to talkto the upcoming freshamn and explain to them what was ahead of them. While talking to them I always tried to explain to them that college is completely different from high school. The number one objective that they should remeber is to stay focused. From the time i was in the ninth grrade to the tweleveth , early college lost over one hundred students due to the fact that they let outside things distract them. So if i was to give advice this would the number one tip I would give them.

Esa

I would tell myself that I should have studied harder in my first semesters at school. That it is vital that you go to professor’s office hours and ask questions about topics, concepts, and problems you do not understand. I would have also told my self to save money, save as much as you could save because you will need it in the future for school, bills, books, etc. In addition to these I would have also told myself to become more involved in every aspect of your school, classes, and classmates. The reason being that, you make your own experiences and the more effort, time and heart you put into your classes the more you will benefit and become a better well rounded individual. Lastly I would have told myself to organize your time efficiently, be cautions of time spent on things you do just for enjoyment versus things that need to get done. Time, effort and dedication are the biggest factors for success and if you are managing these things at a constant basis you will succeed and you will achieve anything you set your mind to.

Anthony

Work harder! Those two words are the best things I could possibly tell myself at any point in my highschool career. I did well in high school, but I was unprepared for the rigor of the coursewoork that I would experience in college. In the first week of college, I was assigned a seven page, single-spaced paper that amounted to about 4,500 words when finished. Needless to say, I was unprepared for this level of academic challenge. I was not ready to invest so much time into one assignment. I did not anticipate the amount of research that assignments of this nature entailed. Although I have since gotten used to assignments of this level of difficulty, I know I would benefit if I could go back in time and tell myself to work harder during my highschool career.

As Monmouth College is an insitution that offers very rigerous coursework in all disciplines, it is a college that fits the needs of students who are ambitious. A strong work ethic coupled with a great desire to learn are two things that are necessary when attending Monmouth College.

Brianna

Make sure you live up your senior year. don't regret anything. Make sure you take all your final exams if you have a choice not to. Make family relationships strong before you come to college. They will be your rock through your transition.

The worst thing about this school is the music program isn't as good as they say sometimes, and the weather gets awful in the winter. Also, the school never closes no matter how bad the weather is.

A person should go to Monmouth if they want a great liberal arts education.

Tatiana

My classmates are very friendly and family like in all my classes.

My classmates are very friendly and family like in all my classes.

Some advice I would give myself is to not be shy. The people that are more open to talk to others and join more things will have a better college experience. Always remember that the upper classmen were also in your position before and they can be a great help if you have any questions. Also the last thing I would tell myself is to not pack a lot of stuff because you end up not even using half the stuff that you bring up from home. So pack only the necessities.

The worst thing I consider about my school is kind of the location. If you do not have a car to get to Galesburg there is not much else to do.

Adam

Most of the people ive met, are wonderful focused students. The atmosphere of the school is learning, and the focus is on making sure your concentrating on your work. The most youll see is the band practicing (on bagpipes) but the school and people are serious about learning.

College is the threshold to responsibility. No one reminds you to do anyting, unless theyre being nice. You wake up on time, and make sure you do everything you have to do, or you fail. No hand holding, no teachers chasing you down for missing assingments, youre literally on your own. Its a huge change , and it can be fun, but you have to take the responsibilites of independance with the freedom.

The most important thing i wish i had known, is really how far it is from city life. The most youll see is a shopco (which i never saw before), and mom and pop stores. No big city convience or much in the way of local entertainment. The nearest attractions are in Galesburg, so you have to drive or make friends with a car!

In my opinion, MC is just the right size; not so small that you know everybody on campus within the first few months of being here, but not so large that you're always seeing unfamiliar faces. I meet new people every day, and it is nice to be able to walk through campus and say hi to a wide variety of people. There are a lot of campus activities for students to go to during the weekdays and weekends, so as long as you stay involved, you can always find something to do. One of my favorite things about MC is its mascot - the Fighting Scots. At most home games for athletic events, bagpipes play at the beginning of the games. You might also find "Big Red" walking around campus. The Scottish pride of MC is very exciting and unique to the school.

I can honestly say that as long as students put forth the effort to make friends and stay involved in campus activities, they all fit in with each other quite well. There are the occasional students who go home every weekend and stay in their rooms during the week, which makes socializing difficult, but other than that everyone is willing to become friends with anyone else.

Overall, MC is a great place to be if you're looking for a small liberal arts school with a friendly atmosphere and great people. As long as you start building friendships early, they will last you throughout your college experience (and maybe even your life) and make these four years as enjoyable as possible.

After going here for a year and a half, I'd say yes. The atmosphere is very friendly and almost everybody I know is a member of something, whether it is a sport, a club, Greek Life, and more.

The average class size here is 14 students to 1 teacher, so it is very common for teachers to know each and every one of their students' names. This makes the learning environment much more enjoyable and efficient. The professors' availability outside of class time is also great. I have never had a problem meeting with a teacher about an assignment or project. In regards to the classroom environment, students are generally active participants in discussion, which makes for some very interesting classes.

I am involved with the volleyball team at MC, and it is without a doubt one of the primary reasons why I have made so many friends here. The coach is a huge proponent of team bonding both in and out of practices, and the team generally hangs out with each other on their own time, even when "team bonding" doesn't require it. Also, athletes tend to make friends with other athletes through sporting events, so that helps in the socialization process as well. Overall, I would strongly encourage a new student to MC to participate in some sort of campus activity--such as a sport, Greek life, a club, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, there aren't really any negative stereotypes. Even before I came here, I was told that the students here are all very friendly towards everyone and that they are generally very involved in campus organizations and activities.

Matt

The best thing about Monmouth College is the student body. I found the enviornment at Monmouth College to be very friendly and welcoming to diversity and differences. Never have I been excluded from a group of friends or an organization because of who I am.

The students of Monmouth I found to be very diverse and welcoming to students of any background, wheter your gay, jewish, etc. the students here are very accepting.

Monmouth College is placed in a very small town but because of the community of the college I sometimes forget Im in such a small town. Rarely do I ever find myself bored with nothing to do.

I found the stereotypes to be false. I am living proof. I am a Public Relations major with a theatre minor. Most of the campus is athletic but they are all well rounded in the fine arts as well.

Because Monmouth is a liberal arts instituation, students are required to take a wide variety of different types of classes. The professors are also very personable, I get emails from them daily and I have even been to a number of professors homes for dinner parties. One class I particalarly liked and was interesting was Forensic Science, which I took last semester. Throughout the term as a class we had to solve a "crime" set up by the professor. We had to investigate the crime scene, and collect evidence in which we ran tests on during labs.

I find myself to be heavily involved in social life at Monmouth College. I am a member of various clubs and orgainizations as is pretty much everyone else that attends Monmouth College. This is a very invlolved campus, most students are involved in a multitude of clubs and activities. I am also involved in a Fraturnity. Joining has probably been one of the best decisions of my life. The greek community on campus is ver open and inviting to anyone and everyone, and I reccomend no matter which school you attend, to get involved in greek life. It definatly has already been a rewarding experience.

Many people that have heard of Monmouth College say that the stereotypical students are athletes majoring in Physical Education.

Autumn

I felt like the size of campus was perfect. I really liked the personal attention that I got all over campus...from the financial aid office, to the professors, to the directors of student life, etc. I think there is a lot of school pride at MC, especially around big events like the MC v. Knox Turkey Bowl, Homecoming, and Scots' Day. We have Scottish heritage as an institution, so you'll learn to love the bagpipes!

I'd say that the student body at MC is comprised of a lot of first-generation students whose parents and grandparents have not attended college. I was in that same boat and I found that MC was a good place for me to transition from high school to college because everyone is so supportive and close-knit. Most MC students come from Illinois, but the out-of-state student demographic is expanding. The racial diversity on campus is expanding, too. The freshman class of fall 2010 is the most diverse class that MC has ever had. The overall student body is 17% minority. Overall, I feel that the campus is a very welcoming place for racial diversity, religious and spiritual differences, LGBT students, etc.

Nope. There are a good number of student athletes on campus, but no more so than any other small, private, liberal arts school.

I remember being surprised as a student about which classes ended up being my favorite. Being a liberal arts school, you'll take classes outside of your major so that you are well-rounded when you graduate. Though I was an English and Public Relations double-major, some of my favorite and most memorable classes ended up being Economics, a Political Science class, and a Philosophy course. The professors all knew me by name and knew what I did outside of the classroom, too. And, now, even as an alum they STILL remember me! Also, while I was getting my college internships, getting into graduate school, and getting my first big job, my MC professors were always there as references, resources, and to help me network.

The residence halls are really, really nice and they are a great place to meet people. The people I met in my dorms became my best friends (and still are!). The Greek life tradition is pretty big...two famous national sororities were founded at Monmouth (Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Kappa Gamma). About 25% of the student body is affiliated with a fraternity or sorority. Greek life isn't like what you see in the movies at MC. They have fun, but it's not one big drunk-fest. Just like any college, you'll find some students that choose to drink, but at Monmouth, you'll also find plenty of students who choose not to drink. There are always alternatives available, like free movies on campus, comedians, bands, etc.

I think the biggest stereotype is that Monmouth's student body is all athletes.

Elisa

What I have gotten out of going to college was that it isn't always about grades in school. It is about what you learned and how you use it. I've also learned to be more mature and independent since I'm living on my own.

I wish I had known how the weekends are there and how limited students are without a car.

A person who loves the city and is always out and about shouldn't attend this school.

Monmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.