Monmouth, IL
Monmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth College

Ryan

Our track team is outstanding. The mens team has won conference 19 years in a row and the women have won 18 of the last 19. Monmouth is a small college so not many people have heard of us. Our track team is one of the bright spots for our school. The turn out to our meets is better than basketball and maybe football.

I would have told myself to go to this school first instead of starting at a community college like I did. I would say that it takes effort to be successful in college. Both in classes and in the social aspect of college. It took me two and a half years to realize that academics are really the main focus of school, and that the best way to study is in the library. I would tell myself that my track team is really the best form of support and to really invest in relationships with them. Finally I would tell myself to have fun. College is really a great experience and I needed a push to let myself enjoy that experience.

Someone who is not very outgoing would have a hard time enjoying their here. I'm sure that it is the same at many places, but if a person is not willing to work at joining clubs, teams, or other groups they are not going to have much to do. We live on a small campus in a small town so there is not a lot of to do off campus. This makes it very important for a student here to be willing to join clubs and get to know people.

Andrew

It is a relatively small private school that is close to home and it a very good homely feel to it.

It gives very good education and has a good football program.

Go to as many schools as you can and make sure when you find a good school that fits sleep on it and make a sound decision. Then make sure when you decide on a school make sure it can be a good home for the future.

Andrea

They are friendly, but it is hard to make strong relationships with them. Everyone already has there friends; so it is hard to come into a small school as a trasfer student because of this.

It was small that is what I like. It was very close to my home and I could keep my job in town.

I would have gone to a four year college immediately out of high school. Parents and others convinced me to stay at a local community college; it was not the best choice for me. So I would say stick with your gut instinct. Find out what you truly love and stop trying to make others happy. You have to make yourself happy before you can please anyone else.

Colleen

Don't consider the distance away from home or where the school is located, out in the middle of no where, but consider what you want to get of going to college and go where it feels right. The science program is amazing and the school is small enough to actually learn something with the avaiblity of being able to get to know the professors when the courses get more difficult. In the end money doesn't matter, if you get to learn so many interesting things and the experience is as good as you imagine it could be, possibly even better. Take a deep breathe and just choose where the next four years of you life will be spent because once you do that, I can promise you won't be disappointed.

This school is diverse in all the students that choose to attend and i have to say that this year i noticed it much more than last year as the freshmen class increased. For someone who wants to attend this college they have to be open to new experiences and information, more so becasue the school introduces students to different subjects and speakers that would seem very uncommon and something one wouldn't be interested in, but this school does a wonderful job in bringing to light subjects most won't think about deeply.

I think that the way the majors are set up in terms of class scheduling during the 4 years, all the classes somehow piece off one another even though they may be completly different courses. The general education classes that we are supposed to take are more interesting than they lead on to be and as a student here, having those connections to what we are learning in the classroom is a really satisfying feeling, in which we know we are actually learning new, interesting, and useful knowledge.

Andrea

Monmouth College is a glorious mix of Chicago suburbanites trying to escape from their parents, and farm kids trying to stay close to home, and they all come together in this melting pot surrounded by corn, and emerge adults.

First of all...BREATHE. You did it; you finally escaped from this social experiment called high school and are ready to go into the world of higher education. Remember that shy, awkward girl who spent the last four years wandering her high school with her head down, too afraid to talk to anyone? She's gone, so kiss that goodbye and say hello to the new you, because four years from now, you'll be amazed at who you've become. I have so much to tell you about, but I don't want to ruin the amazing surprises in store for you. So, remember these three things: one, GO TO CLASS. I don't care how tired you are, you need to suck it up and go. Two, whoever ends up breaking your heart in the next four years doesn't deserve your time anyways. It hurts, but it heals. Finally, follow your internal compass wherever it takes you. You will never have this kind of freedom or opportunity again, so value it, cherish it, and find your bliss. I'll see you on the other side.

Monmouth College is a very small school, and there can be days (and nights) where there is little, if anything, to do. If you're looking for excitement and adventure, look elsewhere. If you like the smell of meat processing plants wafting gently across campus every morning, then look no further.

Jeffrey

Knowing what I know now, if I were to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would give one piece of advice: don't worry. As a high school senior, I was very worried about nearly every aspect of college. I was worried about making friends, doing well in classes, and keeping friends from high school. Looking back now, I realize that I worried for no reason. I realized early on that to make friends in college I just had to be myself. Once I realized that, it was easy. Getting good grades was not so easy. However, once I had a study routine everything became simpler. Surprisingly, keeping in touch with my friends from high school was a lot less difficult than I originally thought with the help of Facebook and simple phone calls. If only I had known these things before I had come to college, I could have saved myself from worrying.

The small class size and the fact that the professor's actually care about what we are doing. Also we are constantly asked our opinions which is nice because the professor's really want to know what we have to say most of the time.

Students who are not afraid to take risks. People who aren't afraid to try new things, or people who aren't afraid to think for themselves should come here.

I would only tell myself to listen to my gut and go with what I was feeling because it was right.

I can not answer this question because my parents grew up in the area, so I knew many people who had been there.

I like to say that Monmouth is a school that allows a person to have fun with many different groups of people. It always seems like you can go into a building, like the cafeteria, and find someone you know. Also, while other schools are not adding more space, Monmouth is remodeling and building new buildings. These will include new science buildings to new dorms. Overall, for being a small town school, Monmouth is just as good as any state university in terms of academics.

Hope

My schools is well known for having a highly competitive football team and excellent education and business programs.

The best advice I could give would be to find a place that feels like home. The instant I stepped on the campus of the college I attend, I was at home there. As far as making the most of college experience, get involved, not just on campus, but in the community as well. I have found that giving back to the community in which my college is located has been the most rewarding experience of my time there.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of focus on research by individual students.

Kylie

A great academic program. Scholarships are not just given out for sports, they are given out for academic excellence.

Make a college visit! You cannot tell if you like a school just by the internet. Get as much information as you can about all of the services provided by the school.

Kyle

When advising on choosing the right college, parents should encourage their children to step outside their comfort zones and aim for a school that will help them formulate a fresh adult identity, separate from their childhood ties. Essentially, this entails seeking an educational environment that will become a unique ?home away from home,? instead of an exact replication of home; higher learning, after all, is about the pursuit of new enriching opportunities, as one?s eyes and mind are opened to different lifestyles and ways of thought. For example, if the student comes from a more rural area, s/he might consider attending an institution in an urban or affluent suburban community. Also, if the student?s hometown population tends to be homogenous or lacking in variety, s/he could find a university that prides itself on its diversity. These, along with numerous other factors, can be imperative in selecting a college that will offer the best prospects for overall growth, enlightenment, and achievement. From making a fitting decision for himself/herself, the student will inevitably interact with peers from other backgrounds and they will interdependently broaden and influence each other?s insights and awareness of the world at large.

When discussing Monmouth College with friends, I am most inclined to gloat about the close bonds I made with my professors. While many students at other schools have their relationships with their instructors dictated by limited interaction through stringent office hours, I never felt unwelcomed by my teachers. They always encouraged me to visit and discuss my academic progress with them, and they were often willing to address questions or offer sage advice when I was having difficulties in their courses. I feel so blessed to have discovered such wonderful mentors and role models within the faculty of Monmouth College.

I definitely believe that Monmouth College is deficient in regard to the range of diversity present in its student body. While the school celebrates its accomplishments in promoting gender equality (being one of the first postsecondary institutions to admit women), it needs to focus its efforts on recruiting students from underrepresented minority groups. In particular, emphasis should be placed on expanding the assortments of races/ethnicities and sexual orientations found on campus.

Monmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.