Monmouth College

« See more reviews of Monmouth College

When advising on choosing the right college, parents should encourage their children to step outside their comfort zones and aim for a school that will help them formulate a fresh adult identity, separate from their childhood ties. Essentially, this entails seeking an educational environment that will become a unique ?home away from home,? instead of an exact replication of home; higher learning, after all, is about the pursuit of new enriching opportunities, as one?s eyes and mind are opened to different lifestyles and ways of thought. For example, if the student comes from a more rural area, s/he might consider attending an institution in an urban or affluent suburban community. Also, if the student?s hometown population tends to be homogenous or lacking in variety, s/he could find a university that prides itself on its diversity. These, along with numerous other factors, can be imperative in selecting a college that will offer the best prospects for overall growth, enlightenment, and achievement. From making a fitting decision for himself/herself, the student will inevitably interact with peers from other backgrounds and they will interdependently broaden and influence each other?s insights and awareness of the world at large.

For the students, I think the most important thing about finding a college is look at several differnet options. If you look several different places you will know where you belong. When I went to visit Monmouth it was like a home to me and I knew it was the place for me. College is a time in ones life that will be unfogettable, finding the best college or university is challenging. However, if you feel home, I can guarentee you will succeed. I would also suggest, that as soon as you enter in college join something that will get you involved. The more involved, the more expierence you will have at school. This also leads to a memory's with the friends that you will have. For the parents, I would say let your child pick where he or she wants to go then worry about finicial situations. Many schools have scholarships and financial help if needed. My family was very worried about money but Monmouth was willing to give loans. College is an amazing time and I would suggest that every child should go through this expierence because it is a once and a life time opportunity.

This is a hard question for me since I definitely did not choose my school conventinally. I went with a feeling more than a real logical reason. I think it is important to understand what you want to experiance and what you are comfortable with. If you grew up in the city, you may feel out of place in a small rural college, but you may also find it refreshing after the speed of the city. The reverse way is a student living in a small country town may be dieing to get to the big city, but it is easy to get overwhelmed. Be sure you have really thought about your temperment and what you wnat to experiance besides learning, because college is so much more than academic learning, it is life learning. After you have really looked into yourself and decided what kind of atmosphere is best for you, it is time to think academically. do you want a liberal arts school to get a well rounded education full of different experiances, or do you just want to focus soley on your major. Niether is bad or good, just different, and it depends on what you want.

I know that it will be hard, but you have to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. What your fellows students, friends, family, and teachers think of you doesn't matter. You are a procrastinator because you worry about not living up to their expectations. So you put everything off until the last moment; which causes you so much stress that you make yourself sick and have to miss class just to finish assignments and make yourself feel better. This doesn't help, because now you start feeling bad about missing class. Just stop. Everything will be fine. You are very smart, even if you don't want to admit it. Find the things and the people you love and cling to them. They will get you through the scary times. Just let go. Not everything have to be perfect. Trust me, the best papers are the ones you write on a spur of the moment inspiration. They are also the ones that your teachers will praise you for. Live your life, don't let the day-to-day tasks put you down. You are so much better than that. So don't give up on yourself.

I would tell myself that I should have studied harder in my first semesters at school. That it is vital that you go to professor’s office hours and ask questions about topics, concepts, and problems you do not understand. I would have also told my self to save money, save as much as you could save because you will need it in the future for school, bills, books, etc. In addition to these I would have also told myself to become more involved in every aspect of your school, classes, and classmates. The reason being that, you make your own experiences and the more effort, time and heart you put into your classes the more you will benefit and become a better well rounded individual. Lastly I would have told myself to organize your time efficiently, be cautions of time spent on things you do just for enjoyment versus things that need to get done. Time, effort and dedication are the biggest factors for success and if you are managing these things at a constant basis you will succeed and you will achieve anything you set your mind to.

Hey Elisabeth, Congratulations! You've officially graduated highschool. And now you're off to bigger and better things,college for one thing. You're most likely a little nervous about what exactly lies ahead in the next chapter of life and well, I wanted to make things a little easier for you. A couple things I've learned : You can do whatever you put your mind to. You can learn new things even when you think you can't. And you can suceed at things you've never tried before. Hard work does pay off. So does being kind and gracious to those around you. You never know when your smile might be just the remedy for someone's bad day. Remember that who you are and what you believe in truly does matter and nothing, absolutely nothing is worth tossing that away. It's not worth trying to fit in with the "In Crowd", it's not worth getting that perfect grade or dating the perfect person. Remember to keep your head held high, even when you don't feel like it. And remember that you are beautiful, just the way you are.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so many things to tell myself. Words of caution, words of warning, and words of reassurance would all fly to my lips. Don't focus so much on boys--the end of a relationship is not necessarily the end of the world. Be careful who you trust with your personal life--people so seem to be friends in the beginning may turn out to be not-so-friendly later on in the school year. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! Last minute projects and papers that you could pull off all through high school will not cut it in college. This is the grown-up world, and you're going to have to start acting like it. On the other hand, I would also tell myself to loosen up. Being away from home isn't nearly as scary as you think it is. Go to parties, talk to people you think are interesting, put yourself out there. These are your college years--make them as memorable as possible. Those are the things I would tell myself if I could go back in time.

It is important that you visit the colleges you want to attend! Getting on campus during the school year when students are around will be helpful in seeing if the atmosphere is right for you. Also it is important that you do not count out small schools that you have never heard of. It is not the name of the institution that determines the value of your education, it is the work you put in. I go to a small private liberal arts college that is not at all well known and does not have the reputation of being a "good school" like for example University of Illinois in Champagne Urbana. What people think and reputations should be irrelevant in the decision-making process. Pick the school that feels right, put in the effort, and you will get the best education around no matter where you go. When you do pick a school and arrive on campus for your first term, take risks and step outside your comfort zone. The best way to succeed in higher education is with an open mind. Good luck!!

First of all...BREATHE. You did it; you finally escaped from this social experiment called high school and are ready to go into the world of higher education. Remember that shy, awkward girl who spent the last four years wandering her high school with her head down, too afraid to talk to anyone? She's gone, so kiss that goodbye and say hello to the new you, because four years from now, you'll be amazed at who you've become. I have so much to tell you about, but I don't want to ruin the amazing surprises in store for you. So, remember these three things: one, GO TO CLASS. I don't care how tired you are, you need to suck it up and go. Two, whoever ends up breaking your heart in the next four years doesn't deserve your time anyways. It hurts, but it heals. Finally, follow your internal compass wherever it takes you. You will never have this kind of freedom or opportunity again, so value it, cherish it, and find your bliss. I'll see you on the other side.

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self any advice, it would be the importance of networking. What I have learned while here is that you need to get to know people, because you never know how they will benefit you in the future. For example, I talked with a professor who is not even in my department and she got me in contact with a former student of hers who is now working in the White House as an aid. Another very important thing to remember is that it is not who you know, it is who knows you. What this means is that people you get to know can give recommendations for you while you are searching for oppurtunities, internships, and eventually jobs. You never know who you are talking to and how they can benefit you in the future. What I would suggest to do is make business cards to hand out to people, because that gives them your name to remember.