West Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth University

Additional Loan Options

Kaitlyn

The best thing about Monmouth is the campus. It is safe, historical, and well kept. One thing I would change is the dining hall. The meal plan is very expensive and the food is horrible. The hours of the dining hall aren't good either. The school is just right in size. Some people do not know where Monmouth is, or know that it is now a University. Some people still think of the school when it was a community college. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm, the student center, or the library. We do not have a college town and the people living in the town surrounding Monmouth do not like the college students or college life. The Monmouth professors and advisors are very nice and helpful. They assist the students with in class work as well as outside, like internships etc. The biggest recent controvery on campus was a "black party." Some students dressed like famous African Americans and took pictures of themselves and posted them on facebook. This was very offensive to many of the students. There is some school pride, but there could be more especially with sporting events. The most frequent student complaints is that our tuition money goes to the landscaping. There are new trees and flowers being planted in the dead of winter under snow. In addition, the food plan is horrible and it is required for oncampus students. We also have a declining balance, but there are no good food places oncampus.

The students are not very diverse. THe students are typically middle to upper class white. Most students wear jeans and a shirt to class. Most students are from New Jersey. Students are some what politically aware and active.

No, infact there are many students that are attending school as part of the E.O.F. program. However, the school is in a bubble outside of the realworld setting.

The professors know the students names because of the small class sizes. Students study often. Class participation is common because the class sizes are small. Most classes are open discussions. Monmouth students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and are involved in outside activities. Students are competitive, but not cut throught. I major in Social Work. The department is amazing. Everyone is very helpful and nice. The major has a lot of great professors. In addition, there are three internships built into the curriculum, which is great. I do spend time with the professors outside of class because I am involved in the social work society, which the professors are active in. It is geared toward getting a job, as well as learning for its own sake and life skills.

The most popular groups are fraternaties and sororities. I am involved in social work society. We do a lot of volunteer work and fundraising. We donate the money to outside organziations. The atletic events are some what popular. The theater events are popular because they are requirements for many of the classes. I meet my closest friends in my classes or they were my roomates. If I am awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I am watching TV or a movie with my roomates. People party often, pretty much every night. Fraternities and sororities are very important. I went home last weekend. Monmouth is suticase school. Off campus I go to the mall, Pier village, out to dinner, the movies, or the beach.

Some stereotypes about Monmouth is that the students are all rich snobby students.

Mark

The worst thing about monmouth is the dining hall. The dining hall at Monmouth is absolutely disgusting and I don't know how I made it through a year of eating that garbage. Monmouth is a small school in a town that is not accepting of the college life which causes a lot of problems between the students and police.

i haven't had much contact with many different racial or religious students. I believe theres a niche for everyone at Monmouth as long as you make the best of it. However, the most prevelant financial background is -- loaded! About 1/2 of Monmouth students parents probably make 500,000 a year and over. Just by looking at all the bmw, audi's, and mercedes in the parking lot you can tell this.

School is in prime location for beach lovers in the nice weather. Everyone smoked, even athletes. The dining hall is gross and you begin to realize that half the 30,000+ dollars you pay most likely goes to landscaping. RA's are pretty chill for the most part.

Not true, but there are a few. I would say the majority of students go home, but if you find a good group of friends that are willing to stay your golden.

At Monmouth attendace is counted and in most cases if your absent more then three times in a class your grade will suffer. Professor generallyremember students on a first name basis and many offer help to students even after the completion of their class. I think a few of Monmouths academic requirements such as frechman seminar and the WPE are ridiculous considering the only thing they offer is a chance to drain the rest of your funds.

The most popular team on campus has got to be the football team. Many students leave their doors open so friends can walk in whenever. Frats and sororities are the most important group on campus. If your not going greek and your not joining a D1 sport or club sport don't even bother coming here.

That everyones a New Jersey guido. That monmouth is a suitcase school.(Everyone goes home on the weekends)

Shawn

Not really, Monmouth is not an easy school I believe it is just as challenging as any other university, also there are alot of interesting people to meet and many activities to do on campus.

In Monmouth all of my professors knew my name and who I was even though I did not think they did. Classes are very small and it is easy to get to meet your fellow class mates. I have had absolutely no problems with professors except for one. I find them all to be very understanding and very nice. All the professors are down to earth and willing to help students.

Monmouth students are rich, there is nothing to do on campus, Monmouth is an easy school

Lorie

The school is pretty small and everyone seems to go home on weekends as soon as the clock strikes noon on Fridays. The food is mediocre to say the least. There is little to NO school spirit across campus. Barely anyone attends to campus events. All of our tuition money seems to go towards landscaping.

Everyone seems to get along for the most part but the football players and baseball players have the biggest heads of anyone for the most part.

The teachers for the most part are very nice and very easy to get in touch with and most of them do everything they can to help you out as a student. I would say the professors are Monmouth's strongest attribute.

There is always a way to party at Monmouth. Whether if it is at the Sig Pi house or in your own room or suite with a bunch of friends.

Monmouth University is a suitcase school. Monmouth has excellent looking girls. A lot of girls go to Monmouth.

Tara

Monmouth is a small school with a beautiful campus. The campus is small and so is classroom sizes. It makes interaction between classmates easier and between student-teacher; instead of just being a number in a lecture hall like many of the bigger schools. When you tell people you go to MU there are usually three reactions: its a nice campus, it's expensive, and it's right by the beach. As a commuter most of my time is spent in class or at the student center between classes. Monmouth's administration is usually helpful and friendly; they try to answer the questions that you have and if they can't they will usually escort you to someone who will. The biggest controversy is parking. Most students commute or live off campus, so they still need to drive to class, and if you have a mid-morning or mid-afternoon class you have to leave about a half hour earlier to get a decent spot for class. Yes there is a lot of school pride, the athletics at MU are pretty good.

No, not all students that go to Monmouth are rich. A lot of students have financial aid and pay loans just like every other school.

The classroom size is usually at most 30 kids in a class; most times it is less than that. All the professors are good, but you come across at least one every semester that you just can't understand. I have enjoyed a lot of classes at MU. One of my favorites is Anatomy and Physiology with Dr. Mack. He is the only professor of that course at Monmouth, and he knows his material. The class is anything but easy. It is challenging but very interesting. It requires a lot of memorization and study time. Class participation is common because the classroom size is so small that it would be boring if no one talked. Also, the classes are mostly two times a week for an hour and fifteen minutes versus colleges that are once a week for three hours. Night classes are offered but those are usually the three hour classes. My major is a new major Health Studies. It is just starting off, so I think it is somewhat an easy laid back major. However as it develops I think it will become more strict. The Health Studies department is extremely helpful and always there to answer questions that students have. Overall I have learned a lot at MU that I can use to help get a job but mostly use in life in general.

Monmouth is known for going to school at the beach, yet the months we go to school the beach is way too cold to be on. Monmouth is a private school, so students are stereotyped as being rich.

Tom

i love that monmouth is close to the beach. i wish more people stayed on the weekends and there was more to do. many people have heard of Monmouth when i tell them where i go. they usually say they know of someone that goes there. im usually always busy and spend time in about every place besides my dorm room. the administration are some of the nicest people i have ever met. they are always kind and courteous from the some of the dining hall staff to the secretaries to the teachers. its actually a pleasure to have a conversation with them. many students go home on weekends so there isnt high attendence at the sporting events, but everyone i know has at least one article of clothing that says Monmouth on it. ill def always remember my first college party

the school is mainly white. there are other races but there arent much. the different races usually stick together for the most part but a lot of the groups mix with one another. the main religion that people are is jewish. a lot of people that go to Monmouth come from families that are well off financially. mostly nj residents or the surrounding states. they girls are considered to be very pretty.

Overall, i love going to Monmouth. I have more friends than i can count and im involved in a lot of stuff. i dont ever want to leave

most professors know you name after a week or two in their class. i love the business department because they all have had a experience in the real world and can bring that to the class when teaching. it makes the information seem interesting and helps to enhancing the learning. because of this, more students participate because they are interested in the material. the classes are difficult and when i talk to friends taking the same classes at other schools their classes are usually a lot easier. the classes challenge you. the teachers have office hours and you can make an appointment to see them in addition to the study hours. some classes also have a review session before a major exam or final. i feel i will be prepared when i graduate.

there is basically nothing to do socially on the weekends if you arent involved in greek life or a sports team. there are lots of resturants to go to and the beach is very close. pier village is a nice area with high class shop and the mall is a 5 minute drive. i am pretty much up late every night either doing work, eating, or out somewhere

mainly white, jewish, rich. mostly nj residents or the surrounding states. very pretty girls

Suzy

Close to the beach, close to New York and Atlantic City, its a small school so everybody basically knows everybody. Live on campus! Its the only way to met people as a freshmen. The dorms are not the best thing because they are small and the showers are small as well, but it was a great experience to live with a bunch of people. The class size is about 25 people per teacher. We do not have a "college town" but people have off campus houses, however they get busted a lot by Ocean cops so be careful.

Students wear comfy clothes or jeans and uggs. YOu will see at least 5 people with uggs on a day in the winter I assure you. Most Monmouth students are from Monmouth County or the surrounding area. The SES ranges from middle- upper class for the most part.

Although some people there are rich and stuck up, the majority of the students do not apply to this stereotype because many people are not rich and pay for college by working and through loans.

The professors get to know you because the class size is like one of your high school classes. My favorite class was cultural anthropology and the Holocaust class. My least favorite was Philosophy and Math. I do not know about anyone else, but I study a lot because I need to keep my GPA abovea 2.75. However, Thursday nights are the night to go out, so a lot of people will be seen out on that night regardless of school. I am an education/history major and it is very hard! History requires a lot of reading and writing. Education classes are interesting but they require a lot of projects which are easy, but time consuming. However, the education classes really prepare you for the real world because you have to observe schools all over Monmouth County/

Soroities and Frats are big at monmouth. Students do leave thier dorms open but a lot of people leave once the weekend starts. Monmouth is called a suitcase school because of that.I met my friends through my dorm.

That we are all rich and stuck up.

Julia

Most people I talk to have never heard about Monmouth. Although we're currently becoming a bigger school, Monmouth still hasn't become a big name. I almost like it better that way. I think Monmouth is just the right size - the location is great, the people are spontaneous, and the food in Jersey beats the food in Maryland anyday. I seriously cannot imagine myself anywhere else - Monmouth is my home and my friends are my family. My only complaint is the Dining Hall does not open until 11:30 on the weekends. I'll always remember my freshman soccer season and all the little, meaningless memories I have with my friends. All those insignificant nights have had such an impact on me and I wouldn't change one minute of it.

There are so many different types of people here and the great part is the student body doesn't discriminate. Generally speaking people stay within their clicks - athletes stick with athletes, guedos with guedos, etc., but people are generally open to anyone and everyone. Most students are from Jersey but I'm able to find other Maryland kids - we share Maryland pride and tend to remain close. Some girls get dressed up for class but my friends and I mostly just wear sweatpants and t-shirts. The guys don't dress up either - classes are relaxed.

Going to Monmouth was the best decision I have ever made. I love playing soccer here and I'm already closer with my friends here than I am with my friends at home. I didn't want to come home this summer - I miss my friends so much. There's so many different types of people here and everyone is outgoing and open to anyone - meeting people and making friends is no problem, no matter what kind of person you are. Oh, and we're less than a mile from the beach :0)

Monmouth's really not a suitcase college. There's always something to do - you just have to find it. Some are stuck up and snobby, but most aren't - most are a lot of fun and outgoing. We have our fair share of guedo's and bennies but you're going to find people like that no matter where you go.

I'm constantly challenged in all my classes. The work load can be heavy and stressful at times but it is going to be like that wherever you go to college. At Monmouth you're not just a number - your teachers know you by your first name and I love that. It's great having a good student-teacher relationship and it makes the classes easier. Being a part of the Honors program at Monmouth is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It has challenged me and allowed me to be in classes with the same kids. I was better able to get to know my peers and classes were centered around discussion rather than lecture.

I'm not involved with any clubs or organizations although sororities and fraternities are very popular here. I play for the Women's Soccer Team and it was the best decission of my life. Unfortunately, athletic events are not really all that popular. A lot of times it is the student-athletes who attend each others games. If it weren't for playing soccer I do not know who I would be friends with - my best friends are either on soccer or on other sports teams and I have met them because of being on soccer. I loved the girls in my suite this year - we never locked our doors and usually left them open. We all got along really well and trusted each other. People party every night but that is going to happen at any school. Sunday is the day for student-athletes to party because Monday is our day off and, let me tell you - we throw the BEST parties. Because there is actually a town around Monmouth there is so much to do. You can go shopping in Red Bank, go out to eat in Pier Village, go to a concert or a Roller Derby in Asbury or bowling in West Long Branch. There's always something to do - you just have to be creative and sometimes put in the effort of looking.

People think Monmouth's a suitcase college. People think the students are snobby and stuck up. People think we're all guedo's and bennies.

Monmouth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.