West Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth University

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Monmouth is great, since it isn't too big, compared to other state universities. I think the size of the campus is good enough for anyone because of the fact that it is so easy to get around, and you don't have to take a shuttle to get anywhere.

Visiting as many college campuses as possible could be an option for some individuals. It's really important to make the right decision when choosing the right college for you, though. You may end up visiting 20 different colleges, but choose the one that you looked at first. Go with your instincts if you want to make the right choice. You are the only person that should decide for you. When you finally get there, remember to get involved! That is a major part of the college experience. It gives you a chance to meet new people and get settled more quickly in your new surroundings. Also, college can be expensive, but don't get discouraged. There are numerous ways that you can get help from organizations, banks, financial aid, and even the college of choice.

The best thing at Monmouth is the way that the whole campus is set up. I really like how there is a computer lab in every building, which makes it so convenient for the students. I also enjoy being able to either meet up with friends anywhere, or i could go to another secluded area to study on my own. There are tables outside, so I can do homework out there on a nice day. Overall, the campus is beautiful.

Kristin

Our school is best known for our academic programs and also being the home to Woodrow Wilson Hall

My first piece of advice to someone looking for the right college would be to find a school that is most aligned with your academic goals. Look for a school that has good programs for what you wish to study. If necessary, make a list of the top 5 things that are important to you in your school. This will help you eliminate and choose schools. I also feel that it is very important to visit several schools before applying or making a decision. Once you are there you will be able to see and feel things that you cannot find out from a pamphlet. In order to make the most out of your college experience I would recommend living on campus for at least one year if you have the money to do so. This really gives you a sense of independence and helps you grow and mature as an individual. Also, try to get involved as much as possible. Choose an activity or club you are interested in - this is a great way to meet people that you will get along well with!

The most frustrating thing about Monmouth University is undoubtedly the parking situation. The Commuter Lot is not large enough and I waste too much time looking for a spot some days.

Shawna

Visit each campus and speak with the professors. You will learn alot from observing current students and the professors can give you an idea as to what direct the college will take your major. Psychology at one school is a completely different learning experience from psychology at another. Choose a school for its education, not based on looks. Catalogs are nice, but until you visit the school first hand you do not really know anything.

If you like spending your daddy's money and are a spoiled little brat who needs her stomach pumped every weekend from binge drinking you'll fit right in! Don't forget your uggs and your gucci sunglasses.

If you care at all about academics and are paying for your own education dont't come here. Its all rich snobs who drive mercedies and go shopping with daddys money every weekend.

Sapan

To the parents: don't think that the college that your kid picks is going to be the best one for him/her. Make your own educated decision.. kids often pick a school because of the number of parties alone. To the kids: go with what your parents pick.

It's absolutely beautiful, both concerning the campus and the beach, which happens to be less than 1 mile away. Also, going from Honors and AP classes in highschool to these classes in college was a very easy adjustment, because they're both at the same level. In fact, I barely studied during my second semester, and only went to about two-thirds of classes, and still maintained a 3.81 GPA, without breaking a sweat.

There is absolutely no diversity among the students, racially. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive (a little over 30K/year, 15k/year for me because I received a scholarship), at least compared to Rutgers (which would have been $0/year for me, as I received a full-ride scholarship).

Erin

The campus is absolutely beautiful and housed on the property is a mansion that a former President of the United States lived in. The groundkeepers are outside everyday making sure the campus looks spic and span which I really enjoy.

Finding a college is a difficult decision for many people. My advice to students would be to make sure you know what kinds of people will be attending your school. College is the ultimate learning experience and you want to have people around you who will help you grow as a person. If you plan on staying on the weekends make sure that the school provides activities and oppurtunities for making friends who also stay. Don't be nervous when you don't make friends right away. It took me a few years to really find the people I got along with but now that I have them in my life I know they will be around for a looooong time. Oh, and don't forget to study and do your work! That is why you are at school. TO LEARN! My advice to parents is to let your kid tour as many schools as they want. If they decide to go far away don't worry because they'll find ways to come home because they will miss you, regardless of what they think. The college experience is something you don't want your kids to miss out on!

I wish I knew that alot of the students attending the school are from high-class families and walk around campus like they own the place. I am thankful to have found students that are down to earth and more like me.

Blake

The Monmouth campus is gorgeous. The student body is a good size, it makes you feel like you aren't just a nameless face in a crowd. It's easy to spot atleast 10 familar faces whereever you go. I was born and raised in the town Monmouth is located it. The people there honestly don't care that there is a college there, despite the fact that the students think they are God's gift to the town haha.

The majority of Monmouth students are white, middle class. While there is representation from some minorities, it's not extremely noticable. The majority of students are from North Jersey/New York and fit the typical "guido" stereotype. While a lot of the students are casual around campus, there are several who treat each day like a fashion show. I think that most of the student body at Monmouth is liberal, and there are different political events throughout the year, however, few people attend. Greek Life is prevelent. I think that students from the immediate local area (such as myself) would tend to feel uncomfortable there. It's a little strange for a Jersey Shore local to feel as though they've been thrust into Staten Island...

Monmouth kids are 95% spoiled, ignorant, and lazy. I would rather sit alone in my room than hang out with the majority of them... That's my no holds barred opinion!

I think these stereotypes are 95% accurate, unfortunately.

Academically, I have been fairly impressed with Monmouth. The majority of teachers are very well-informed on their subject matter and truly care about it. The classes are very small, some are even smaller than my high school classes were. All of the teachers I have had have known me by name and have been very accomidating. However, in all honesty I think that the academic requirements are pretty lax. I have been in classes with A LOT of students who just do not care, and from what I can see, their grades aren't suffering from it. I think that a lot of students are just allowed to skate by, which is unfair for those of us who try very hard.

It is virtually impossble to make friends at Monmouth if you don't get involved. I met my closest friends by joining a sorority. I love Greek Life, as it has become a huge part of my life.

I think the biggest stereotype about Monmouth students is that they are all from North Jersey/New York, and are primarily Italians who like to go to night clubs and have spikey hair, etc. They are very spoiled and aren't really in touch with reality or the outside world.

Jenna

The best thing about Monmouth is how safe and homey it feels, almost immediately. I am so comfortable going to school there, I really love it. It's a really small school and you almost always know all the faces you see walking to class. The campus is gorrrrgeous, and everyone who visits is always amazed at how nice it is. The town is not very college-y. Its a family beach community, but a lot of houses, especially towards Deal and Allenhurst, are rented to college kids during the school year. The parties are pretty fun, your best bet is to get close with someone who has a house so you can party there, but the frats have some pretty good parties too. You usually end up seeing the same people when you're out, which is nice.

Most students are from New Jersey and most have money, being as Monmouth is a private school. The atmosphere is very casual though; most kids wear sweatshirts and sweatpants to class. There's a whole array of people and its always interesting to see who is hanging out with who. Most people are really nice and friendly, especially your first year because everyone just wants to meet everyone and make friends. I met a lot of amazing people my first year, and was still meeting new people until the last day of school so its really not an issue to find people who you like to hang out with.

The food at Monmouth really isn't bad. The student center has realllly good food, and the dining hall is alright too. There's always cereal and salad so you never go hungry. The dorms are pretty nice, I lived in a suite style building and lovvvved it, but people who live in regular style dorms like it too because you end up meeting a lottt of people on your floor. I met my best friend at orientation, so its really important to go to that if you're a freshman. Its a great way to meet people so you feel a lot less nervous and overwhelmed on the first day. Basically its just important to be open minded and to try new things and push yourself during your first year. Living with people is difficult but you get used to it and most people end up lovvving it, and living away from home is scary at first but its amazing freedom once you're used to it.

Its not very crazy but there are a lot of people from Jersey.

Monmouth is a really good school, academic wise. The classes are small - really similar to high school. My biggest class was probably no more than 25 people. Studying is really important because you gotta get your work done on time and get good grades. It can be hard at first, balancing this new freedom with the amount of work you get thrown at you, but work hard, play hard. The professors are very knowledgeable and definitely want to help you pass. They're always there if you have questions or need extra help and most are very understanding. I really have not had any complaints about any of the professors I've had yet.

Living in the dorms was the best experience ever. You naturally become extremely close with the people you live with because you see them every single day. They're there when you wake up and when you go to bed and when you're awake at 4 in the morning. It's great. There aren't that many sororities or frats, but there are some, and they have good parties usually. Joining one is a really good way to make close friends. I haven't joined but I know most people who do join do not regret the experience. People are always down to party, which is nice. If you're not a drinker, the movies and the mall and Pier Village are like 10 minutes away, and the beach is like 5 blocks away. It's a really safe town and a really safe campus, and I have NEVER felt unsafe walking around at night.

I always heard it was a crazy party school filled with rich kids from New Jersey.

KJ

The best thing about Monmouth is the beach. It gives the whole campus and school year a different feeling than any other schools I have visited. Being a part of the Cheerleading team at Monmouth is one of the best decisions I have made since I've been there. I get to do community service for good causes and I get to be a part of something fun. The only thing I would change about MU is the school spirit. A select few people show soo much spirit but as a whole the school doesn't have nearly as much spirit as my home town. I would like to see the stands filled more at football games.

I dont think anyone would feel out of place at monmouth. There is something weird though, a select group of people tend to get VERY dressed up for class, and not like business dressed like heels and a dress. I on the other hand end up going in sweats sometimes. I think that many different types of people become friends from going to any school including Monmouth. Most students that come to Monmouth I feel like are from usually NJ and a lot of times within like 1/2 hr to 1 hr away. I think anyone can feel comfortable at Monmouth. And not everyone that comes here comes from Money. There are a handful of people that come here because their parents work here and they are able to attend for free.

No, I think every school has their groups and there may be a group of snobby people at Monmouth but not everyone is like that. I've met some of the best friends I have here and they do not fit the stereotype.

I love the faculty at Monmouth. I have never met a rude person on campus. It's kind of weird actually you think when you go to college your teachers wont know your "name" anymore and they wont know if you were a good student in high school but here they do. Teachers pay sooo much attention to you (not like in high school when your teachers say when you get to college your professors wont be watching over you) but they do. I think the requirements at Monmouth are accurate. Once you get into upper classes like junior and senior year depending on your major, mine business management, most classes are basically all class participation and presentations. I find it easy to stay on top of my school work without stressing myself out too much with studying and homework. However, some weeks can be really tough.

At monmouth most people are involved in some type of organization. whether it be sports, clubs, or frats/sororities. i think that sororities think they own the school sometimes and it can be annoying. i particularly think there is more to school than that. I think mu isnt such a party school but there are definately more options of things to do as you get older. and when you are old enough for the bars that is mostly what the weekend consists of. I think a lot of people work though because there are a lot of places to get a part time or full time job and a lot of babysitting oppportunities around the area so most people work sometimes. there are so many things to do off campus especially pier village. it is so nice to go there and just walk. there are so many places to eat too around the campus.

Joe

The dining hall food is terrible

The dining hall food is terrible

Get into Greek Life or a sport very important at Monmouth

teachers are very good but you must pick and choose there is a large difference between some of the professors at this university your rprofessor can really make or break you

girls are very stuck up everyone is very rich

Kara

Monmouth is a small campus that you can walk from the one side of campus to the other in about 10-15 min. Its a beautiful campus though..they really keep it looking nice. Its exciting because they are building the new MAC center which is going to host the new basketball stadium. This MAC center will look like the new fitness/activity centers that many of the bigger schools and other schools have recently built. Living on campus is not guarenteed for freshman, but i think they are trying to. The resident side is split by and underpath from the rest of the campus. All the dorm buildings are right by eachother so it is easy to go visit a friend in another building. From what i have seen, Monmouth seems to be becoming more popular. When I tell people I go to Monmouh, most people have heard of it. One of the biggest problems though, is it is not really a college town. Outside of the campus is a residential area..and the residents are not always thrilled that they have college students as neighbors. So when you live off campus ( which will most likely happen because housing is limited for upperclassmen) you have to be careful of your neighbors.

Most of the students are from New Jersey and the tri-state area. There are a few students from California and different countries too. The school is a private school so it is expensive to attend, but scholarships and financial aid help to bring different socioeconomic and finacial backgrounds to the school. The school is not known for being diverse (esp. compared to a school like Rutgers), but they are trying to make it more diverse. Everyone can fit in at Monmouth and there are various clubs and activities that accomodate different races, ethnicities, religious views, and sexual orientations. Everyone seems to get along around campus.

No. The school is less than a mile from the beach so when it is nice out it is possible to walk to the beach. There is a lot to do around the area. Monmouth is really what you make of it. If you get involved like join a group or team (dance team!), you will have friends to hang out with on the weekends that you thought everyone went home and people to get inside the loop about what is going on that night. SABs ( student activities board) is trying to having activites and events that keep students on campus during the weekend. Most of the athletic teams are good too and they have gams on weekends that the players and fans usually stay on campus. It is true that some nights you may not find a big party and you will just have to hang out wtih some close friends or your roommate but no one said that was actually a bad idea. Not everyone is snobby and rich..you just have to find the right group of friends to hang with. Give everyone a chance and don't judge too quickly people will suprise you! Remember as a freshman everyone is in the same position as you and looking for friends

The classes at Monmouth are generally small. The largest classes are probably between 25-30 students. Im a math and education major. Since math isn't a very popular major..my classes vary in size. I've had a few math classes with between 12-18 student. My gen ed classes and education classes have more student in them, but usually the univeristy caps the size at 30. In the classes the professors do get to know your names. I had very few professors that did not know everyones name. That also means attendance is important. Some professors (esp. freshman year or determined by the departments) make attendance and participation count for a grade. Other teachers say you are paying to be here so you should come to class. The classrooms are not big lecture halls and are usually either in classrooms with desks or tables or computer labs depending on the class. Most of the professors do use technology in there classrooms and are capable of communicating online through email or ecampus. Ecampus it a place where teachers will post your grades, ask you to "dropbox" assignments, and display other important information.

There are many different activities across campus. There is an activity or club for any interest you may have, and if not you can start one. I am mainly involved in dance team, which is a try-out based team. We perform at various events including football, basketball, frat/sorrority events, and other campus functions. Homecoming is one of the best activites that is planned for the year. The night before there is usually a bonfire/pep rally planned. The next day is the homecoming football game in which people get up early to start tailgating. Frats and sorrorities are important at the school. A lot of people are involved in one and they do a lot of community service and school events. Since MU is a smaller school, you can see groups and clicks. For example, the athletic teams, sorrieties and frats, and different clubs all hangout with one another. Not everyone is involved in a club, team, sorrority/frat, or organization, but a lot of people are and find it easier to be a part of the school.

People belive Monmouth is a suitcase school and there is nothing to do on weekends. Everyone that goes to monmouth is rich and snobby.

Monmouth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.