West Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth University

Additional Loan Options

Cameron

I think Monmouth is the perfect size. Monmouth has a gorgeous campus. Most students are convinced that all of our tuition money goes to the landscaping. Regardless of what people say about Monmouth being boring, if you are fun person, you are going to have a lot of fun. The location is perfect because the beach is literally right down the street.

There is a good blend of people at monmouth. No one really dresses up for class. Its pretty laid back. The dining halls food is bangin.

Monmouth is a good time. Make sure its the school for you. Don't slack on your school work but dont forget to have fun. There is always something to do. So if your looking to party every weekend starting wednesday, it is possible.

Not everyone from monmouth is wealthy. I personally don't have a lot of money. I think society in general is always going to be clicky so there really is no way to get around that. And yes, monmouth does have the hottest girls.

The classes are small. So you will be able to have a personal experience with your professors.

The people that i am closest to are the people tha tliv ein my suite. There are parties on and off campus. Greek life is a pretty big deal. I personally dont like greek life, it reminds me of a cult. Football games are a pretty big deal.

That we are all rich kids and stuck up. Also, that monmouth is just another version of highschool with its clicks. And according to playboy we have the hottest girls.

Christine

The best thing to me about Monmouth, is the campus. The campus is beautiful. The people that take care of it do an excellent job at it and are always up early working to make it a warm find place. The food and staff at Monmouth are always on the ball with everything. It's great food and each night they try and make it a new theme so you don't eat the same thing every night. I love the staff here at Monmouth as well, they are always free and willing to give you there time. They are very helpful with everything and always have a answer for you. Another thing that is great about Monmouth is the computer staff, many college students have to write papers, or surf the net and sometimes your computer can fail, whats nice about Monmouth is someone is always there to fix it!

One thing that i love about Monmouth are the building. We have some of the oldest buildings around and they are all kept it the greatest shape. I also enjoy the classes and classroom size. Every teacher knows your name by at least the second week of school and it's easy to get along with your classmates as well because there isn't that many of them to be shy around. Monmouth also has great sports teams and fans as well. The campus is beautiful and always being taken care of.

Monmouth's student body is wonderful. Everyone is so outgoing and well-rounded. I made so my unbelievible friends this past year its amazing. I feel that these are all friends that i'm going to kepp for the rest of my life.

Monmouth ones one of my last choices of college as strange as it may seem, but i couldn't express to you how happy i am to be here and how much i love you. I truly made the right choice for my future :]!

We don't have them. Athletes aren't just friends with athletes they are friends with everyone, as well as students involved with drama or anything else, even Frats are welcoming, it's a wonderful place to be

Coming from sophmore now, my experience at Monmouth has helped me to realize that grades are very important, and if you want a school that's going to help gear you into the right direction Monmouth is the one. Monmouth has the best academics program i have ever seen. The staff of teachers are always free and willing to give you the time and help that you need. We have special centers that are opened to help with art, writting, math, anything that you may need help with they have may people that are specialized in your subject for help.

Being part of Monmouth University's Track and Feild as well as Cross Country team, I would say that the social enivorment at Monmouth is amazing. Being an athlete doesn't mean you can only be friends with the players on your team, here at Monmouth, athletes are friends with everyone. It's just a title not a meaning to us. We are titled as an Athlete, just as anyone else would be titled as an artist, or an actor. But, that's a title her you don't have to carry that title out with you. Once you step on the feild or track, that's when your sports comes into play or of course at practice as well, but once that time is up we are just normal people, and have an everyday life like anyone, and thats something i cherrish a lot about Monmouth is that everyone is looked at equal.

There really isn't any type of stereotype at Monmouth, everyone is very friendly and welcoming.

The student body is wonderful. I have made so many friends just being a freshman in one year than i could think to imagine. Everyone here is so welcoming and made it very easy and nice my first year here.

My favorite class at Monmouth has to be Information Technology. I enjoyed this class because we got to work well with computers and learn new and exciting things about them as well. It was also one of my more easiest classes that i had to take as well. My least favorite class has to be history. I dislike history a lot so having to take it really bummed me out, but i had a wornderful professor and she made history fun and exciting for me this past year.

The social and athletic life at Monmouth is very welcoming and everyone is really fun to hang around. I have never heard of any fights or miscommunications with anyone here, and that really helps to make the school atmosphere!

We really don't have stereotypes here at Monmouth University. Everyone is very friendly and helpful as well. It's very easy to make friends here.

TJ

The academics are great - - personally, i've never had a complaint about one teacher. Actually that's a lie, but you find out pretty quick from others which professors not to take. The classes are challenging, but not overwhelming- - as with any school, I guess it depends on your course load. That is also speaking from a non-honors standpoint. The people are incredibly fake - - literally, every one of them. It is bad enough that even you yourself are forced to be fake around people, just to avoid confusion. The students, in my tenure, tends to be the frats/sororities or anyone else held to a higher standard by the rest of the facebook-addicted, drone like student body, that are very used to getting their way. People become preoccupied with other people, and other people's problems, I can honestly say there is very little privacy at the school. In addition, the VAST majority of the students are preoccupied with other things, notably working and tanning. I can understand picking up a side job to help keep the refrigerator full and utility bills paid (if you live off campus), but students are working 40 hour weeks, resulting in, i swear to god i've heard this.."I don't have time for school, i have to work!!" Is our country and its citizens so obsessed with making money to blow on beer, weed, food that we forget that taking six credits a semester is going to keep your ass here longer? I'm on pace to graduate in four-years, and have never worked here. I couldn't do it, but then again, don't believe everyone who tells you they can. Sure, they are making money, but they're taking 4 classes and failing 2 of them. As far as the surrounding area of Long Branch, its residents despise the existence of Monmouth University. The school will never develop the way it wishes too, and off campus parties are usually called in to the station as the DJ equipment is going INTO the house. Students are given no respect, although for the aforementioned listed reasons, I'm not entirely shocked. School pride is for shit...Its not like a Rutgers or Penn State when school pride is actually...well, school pride. Our homecoming celebration consists of about 4 days of hype which then involves everyone at the school getting blackout drunk and walking to the parking lot outside the football field. The game is 5th, maybe 15th priority, most don't even go. It's just an excuse to get fucked up, receiving the same treatment as Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day. In all honesty, the subterfuge of trustworthy, honest, true friends took until the Spring semester of my Junior year for me to fully realize how much I truly dislike it at this school. It has contributed to a lot of recent anxiety problems for myself, which have since subsided since I finally got out of there this year. Fortunately though, I have met some people that I can vibe out and realize that they aren't just acting a certain way because certain people are around -- the most common trait at Monmouth. It is so absurd in that sense that you could be having an honest heartfelt conversation with someone, and one of your "boys" (and i mean those quotation marks to the highest degree) comes over and the whole atmosphere changes. - - Dining Hall food wasn't half bad, and life gets a lot simpler once you live off campus. Overall I'd give Academics a 7/10, only because they don't offer enough classes Atmosphere I'll give a 7/10, right by the beach and the area is really navigable Social standpoint I'll give a suck/10, obviously if you've read this you know its my biggest complaint, as well as one of the biggest from others. Fake, spoiled, immature are only some of the words that describe a large percent (upper 80's) of the school's population.

After my first year I thought that this stuff was entirely untrue, but after three years living here, pretty much all of those sentiments are accurate. There's no sense of camaraderie among the people you meet, I'm almost certain the friends made at Monmouth rarely stay so for very long after graduation. Everyone is very concerned about looking out for themselves only.. The guys want to be the biggest badasses around, and the girls only go after frat boys or athletes. This is completely expected and, unfortunately, accepted from our society, and I'm not complaining about that, what is appalling is how obvious each student makes it. Every relationship you develop will not be on a personal level, but how well you aide the other's habit. Drugs are incredibly abundant in addition to egos and yes, of course, guidos.

Full of "guidos", not as big of a party school as advertised to high school kids. The majority of people are spoiled brats who can't do anything for themselves.

Kaylin

the best thing about monmouth is it's campus. it's what attracted me the most. i fell in love with it when i came in high school. the one thing i'd change is the food system. we are college kids. we stay up late and we wanna eat late. it'd be better to eat dining hall food then nellys late at night. it could help us save money. we pay so much money for the dining hall, and i'm furious with the system. nothing it open late at all and it's not fair. when i tell people i go to monmouth, they're like "where's that" i tell them it's by the jersey shore, and then I get an "oh." when I'm on campus, I spend most of my time in the dorm buildings. I made alot of friends both on and off campus but it's easier to party on campus. if only monmouth cops and ra's weren't so strict, we could have alot more fun. people around the town hate us students so much. they call the cops, which is understandable, but it makes it that much harder to live off campus. Administration is good. I think that the administration really show how much they care about the students, but of course there's an exception to some administration that I've come across. I feel like a student, where as my friends who go to big schools like Ruters and UCONN are just numbers. I like that student-teacher relationship. No school pride, I don't care what anyone says. My high school had more school pride and it was so much smaller (obviously). i was pumped my first football game and when I realized that NOBODY got up and cheered I was so upset. (people get up and cheer only when the team makes a play). i don't know, I just think our school has no school pride really. It's so clicky and separated but that's not to blame monmouth, it's to blame the students.

Walked onto monmouth campus day 1 freshman year. first question i was asked "so what sport do oyu play?" (im black, so I get that alot but have learned to deal with it). Yea, I think Monmouth Campus can be a little bit racist. It's so separated at monmouth. It's athletes (and even that is broken down further--football players; black and white then it's baseball- then don't seem to like blacks too much then it's track-where everyone gets along just fine, then it's sorority girls (and even they can't stand each other-- d phi e doesn't like theta phi alpha because one claims to be hotter than the other) it's ridiculous and the fraternity boys, they're guys, they all seem to get along pretty well, then it's the social outcasts, black kids sit together spanish kids sit together, then it's everyone else. Why does any of this matter? I don't know.

yes. when i first came to monmouth i was so surprised at the little bit of people that stay over the weekends. it's depressing. it could be so much fun over the weekends too.

Like I said, it like the fact that monmouth is small enough where professors know your name and you can have that relationship with a teacher rather than just being a number. I like the classes at monmouth, however I'm sick of being babied by professors. I think that since we are paying $32,000 annually to attend the University, we should be able to decide whether or not we want to attend class. To have a limit as to how many classes we are allowed to miss is ridiculous. I don't think it's fair. If I can pass a class without going to a single class, that should be for me to decide. We are old enough to realize when it's a necessity to attend class or not, and sometimes, situations demand that we skip class.

Greek life is pretty big, but it's not like OMG IF I DONT GET IN HERE IM GONNA BE A NOBODY. Everyone is segregated in it's own way. I don't like the social aspect of monmouth really. i'm an african american student who wants to go greek but can't, because monmouth nuiversity has ZERO blak greek life on campus. SAD. I usually find myself leaving campus late at night. There's never anything goin on, so me and my girl friends hop in a car and drive, seaside, up north, anywhere off campus. The campus is kinda boring. I liked last year '06 homecoming because the cops allowed us to drink in the parking lot but it was a very controlled and supervised environment. It gave the underage people a chance to feel mature. This past year was more strict and not nearly as fun. Saturday nights, we usually drink, but if we don't we will go bowling or go play on the beach or play man hunt (more of those things we did drunkenly, but it's still fun).

Monmouth is a small school with small class sizes which makes for a nice individualized experience for each student. One thing I would change would be to make the dining hall hours accommodating. Its disappointing for someone who takes night classes ending at 8 not to be able to eat at the dining hall.

Students often dress up for class. Many students are from NJ.

The dining hall food is atrocious! Hours are horrible and the dining hall is the only option for food on the weekends.

All my professors knew my name within the first week. I am an Art and Elementary Ed major and the art department is amazing.

Athletic events aren't that popular. Fraternities and sororities are very popular at Monmouth. You'll be spending Saturday night alone if you don't go out to a party.

Overpopulated with preppy rich who get what they want

Rick

The size is ideal. People question where monmouth is, to which my reply is 5 minutes from the beach. Not really a college tow...

The size is ideal. People question where monmouth is, to which my reply is 5 minutes from the beach. Not really a college town.

The student body is primarily located throughout NJ

Classes are small and relatively difficult. You get out of the school as much as you put in

Fun, and people who enjoy the beach

Bob

I think the school is a great size with a great location, in between both Phila and NYC (about 1.5 hours either way). The relationship among teachers and students is what you make. I have met some professors who I consider friends and life long mentors. The repuation and ranking of the school is increasing dramactically. The surrounding town(s) include a mall, the beach (about a mile), and everything you need is within driving distance. Most frquent complaints on campus are the dining facility, which I would say have there good days and others are just average. Overall, though I thought it was fine. The other thing was a complaint was the price of the school. Although there are many other private schools that are more expensive, the endowment is not huge and so only a portion of tuition is usually offered in financial aid packages. I recommend becoming an RA so that you do not have to pay room or board....huge savings.

We have a ton of classes on the campus relative to the amount of students on campus. Primarily people on campus are white and from NJ but that is changing at a good rate. most students are liberal (democrats) in their political feelings. Students wear anything they want to class. Some wear pajamas while others dress to the nines.

I think it is a great school, but like anywhere it is what you make it. It takes getting involved anf talking to people to make it happen. Monmouth provides the tools you just have to use them. I could not have been happier.

Some of them are. Some people have money but you would never know it. There are just some really great people there. IT's like anywhere else you like some and not others.

I think there are some great programs, business in my opinion being the best! Our facilities are also very good. We have student run radio and tv stations and two 24 hour computer labs, a gorgeous library, and Wilson Hall (where Annie was filmed) is a beautiful building. We have a some great classes from an entrepreneurship class to a coaching and team development quiz.

Fraternities are the main party holders. However, a ton happens across campus as well. The surrounding towns have gotten stricter on off-campus drinking. There is always something going on you just have to ask. People are up almost all hours of the night. I personally went bowling on thursday nights.

Rich kids, stuck-up, Uggs wearers, hot girls, beach lovers

Andrew

When I first came to Monmouth it was a little harder to make friends. Most kids were like me but for some reason I didn't hit it off with them. I ended up going home almost every weekend of my first semester freshman year. Then, in the spring I decided to pledge a fraternity - Sigma Pi. At first I didn't think I would like it because I didn't think I was a "frat guy". I even finished up the pledge process, got in, and still didn't think it was for me, but then in my sophomore year everything changed. I actually took a step forward and decided to get more active in the fraternity; give it a real shot. That decision ended up being the best one I ever made at Monmouth University. I started taking positions in my fraternity, running events, and this eventually led me to being elected President for the 2007 school year. I ended up learning that Sigma Pi was not the prototypical "frat" but was actually a fraternity. A fraternity that changed my life for the better. Not only did it help shape me as individual but it taught me about leadership, decision-making, delegating and much more. Sigma Pi always strives to uphold its standards and ideals through many community service/outreach programs, which is why it was such a great fraternity to join. Outside of Sigma Pi, Greek Life here at Monmouth is a pretty big deal. Monmouth itself is a tight-knit community but Greek Life is its own community inside Monmouth University. All the Greeks know each other and host many different events on campus. They also are most heavily involved in extracurricular activities as most Greeks are heads of other respective organizations such as SGA and the Senior Class Executive Board. The one thing I wish Monmouth had more of is school spirit. Monmouth is a Division I school but no one seems to notice. Our men's basketball team has made the NCAA tournament 3 out of the last 7 years. Everyone of course goes to those games but no one seems to make it out the regular season games which is a little discouraging. I always see these big-time schools with their fight chants and huge school spirit, and I look at Monmouth and there is barely any of that. I just think if we had a better school spirit it would enhance everyone's collegiate experience a little more. Monmouth isn't really apart of a college town persay, but it's not like it resides in a desolate area. There are tons of things to do around Monmouth's campus. There is West End which is great for 21 year olds because there are multiple bars on the road that students can hop to and from on any given night. Most importantly, the most distinguised (AND BEST) bar is located on West End and that is Jack's Goal Line Stand. Anyone who's anyone that goes to Monmouth knows about Jack's. It is the Monmouth Bar and it deserves to be. It's great food, great prices, and just prestigious, laid-back atmosphere make it the place to go. Also, outside of the bars there is the Monmouth Mall which is less than 4 miles away from campus. There's Nelly's which is a great, late-night spot for some of the best college food around. And finally, Monmouth's kind of only a half a mile from the beach which is needless to say, awesome. All-in-all as I look back at my time I Monmouth I enjoyed it so very much. I mean, yeah, some of the kids are a bit stuck up and judgemental but once you get passed that little annoyance you really can enjoy yourself. The professors are great and really care about you. They even take time out to learn your first name which I always thought was pretty cool, and you're more than just a number here at Monmouth, you actually matter to your professors and what not. You're NOT just a name on a class roster. The classes are not that tough, just make sure you study and get your work done and you'll be fine. And most importantly...HAVE FUN! Your 4 years go by so quick, enjoy every second.

Like I said earlier, most Monmouth students are upper-middle class kids. Almost all students wear Abercrombie, Hollister, or American Eagle. Status in general is pretty big at Monmouth. How much money you have, what type of car you have, who's going out with who, are all paid attention to pretty closely at MU. Not to say it's a bad thing, but almost everyone knows everyone's business (particuarly in the Greek community). Monmouth is predominantly white, and not that's its overwhelming, but its noticeable that Monmouth has more females than males. Monmouth doesn't really have a politically dominant class, most people thing it's more right-winged because it is a rich, private institution, but politics aren't really discussed alot at MU.

Monmouth is a great school and a great place to have your college experience. The only discouraging thing I can think of is the neighboring towns outlook on our campus. Most students obviously move off campus in their upper classmen years and have to move out into these neighboring communities. Automatically this negative stereotype is projected on you by the residents. To combat this I would suggest to make sure you go to your neighbors at the beginning of the year, offer your numbers in case of any emergencies, and just be a good resident yourself, because if you aren't you have no one to blame but yourself.

Like I said earlier, all the professors are extrememly passionate at Monmouth. All teachers know your first name, you actually matter to them. You're NOT just a name on a class roster. There are tons of times to meet with your professor outside of the classroom as all professor are mandated to have at least 4 office hours per week. Some classes have more class participation than others. Academics aren't hard as long as you study and get your work done. I was a Communication major and the department heavily stressed getting involved outside of the class room. WMCX (our school's radio station) was a huge part of my collegiate experience as I was able to learn very extensively about radio, something I really couldn't experience inside the class room.

Again, Greek Life is pretty big at MU. It's like a community inside the community. Most students try to be friendly in the dorms, almost everyone leaves there door open to try and create friends. School spirit again can use some work. Things like Homecoming and Spring Fest though do show some school pride as they are the two biggest events on-campus all year (outside of Greek Week). The Student Activities Board works hard to put events together for the students, especially for the weekends, but most of the time they have attract minimal attendance. Greeks have most of the parties that student usually attend Thursday-Saturday. West End is pretty big for the 21 year olds during the weekends as well.

A bunch of rich preppy fashionable kids who's mommy and daddy are paying for college and their expenditures.

Devon

I love almost everything about Monmouth. I applied to 33 schools and decided to come here, so I think that says something for the school. I fell like there is always either a person or an entire department to answer any question you might have. The professors here want you to succeed, and the students here want to be your friends.

In general I love the atmosphere on campus; very casual and comfortable. There are tons of clubs or greek life to get involved in, and if you can't find something you like you can start your own club. Chances are there will be someone else at Monmouth who shares your interests. There aren't really any "cliques" at Monmouth, just lots of different people all trying to get along with everybody else. Only thing I don't like is the overwhelmingly leftist lean of both the student body and professors, but that is basically typical of all college campuses.

There are a lot of Mexicans in nearby Freehold.

Not for the majority. We do have A FEW of this type of student on campus, but most students are working their own way through college, very pleasant and approachable, not necessarily fans of the beach, and fairly intelligent.

I think the academics at Monmouth are very strong. You have to put in serious effort if you want to get A's, yet you also would have to try pretty hard to fail. All of your professors know your name and probably some other personal details about you. They are always approachable both during and outside of class. Lots of choices in courses as well; I would stay here an extra year if I could just to take some of Monmouth's interesting classes. Quite a few Gen Ed requirements, but they are working on that. Probably the most popular majors at Monmouth are Business, Education, and Communications, but the other majors are pretty strong too. I think the science departmet is good; I love all my professors.

You should know that the Monmouth population is almost entirely New Jerseyan, and a lot of people go home on the weekends. Also, most of the school spirit at Monmouth is associated with their Div I athletic teams. However, if you are truly here to get a good education then these things shouldn't bother you too much. The location is nice, there is great shopping close by, and obviously the Jersey shore. There are 1 or 2 bars/clubs, the school is very safe, and most of the neighbors are friendly.

Rich, snobby, beach bums, kinda dumb.

Mandy

The school is located a mile from the beach so that has a big influence on why a lot of people come here. The beach is amazing and it is such a great place to hang out when its warm out or even fun to go to in the winter when its snowing. I think the school is just the right size ... not too big so no one knows you, but big enough that it's not just a repeat of your high school. Most people call Monmouth a "country club college" and they pretty much think you sound spoiled because it is a pretty pricey private university. Monmouth isn't exactly known for its party scene but there's usually something going on once you make some friends. When you're in the dorms it's fun to hang out with the people in your building but usually by sophmore year a lot of people get off campus housing and thats where everyone usually ends up. Monmouth has a lot of really great professors that take the time to get to know you and most are extremely helpful. There's always going to be a few rotten eggs but the majority of my professors have been nothing but helpful. All in all I love going to Monmouth and I absolutely would never transfer and I'm so sad that I'm already halfway done! :(

Monmouth has a somewhat diverse student body. It is somewhat dominantly white, but there are a lot of various races and religions. It is very different from highschool, however because everyone simply makes friends with who they want to be friends with. Everyone comes in as a nervous freshman and race and religion don't really play a factor in who you end up being friends with like they do in high school. A lot of the students dress pretty typical; sweatpants, sweatshirts, flip flops. Nothing special. It's not a fashion show for most people but of course there are those select girls who have to wear heels to class everyday. A lot of the students here are politically aware but it's not the main topic of conversation. People have their opinions but I don't see anyone forcing their opinions on anyone else or judging people based on politics. Most people are just here to have a good time in college and get a degree from a pretty respectable college and get a good job.

I really think Monmouth is such an amazing school. Great location, great professors, great classes, great people. I have made some of my best friends here who are literally like my family now. We all travel all over to visit each other in the summer because you never want to be away from those people! I'm so glad I came here and you just need to have an open mind when you come here. You will meet a lot of different people from so many different towns and it's great to get away from the same people you've always known from your same old town. Basically, if you love the beach ... just come here!!!! You can't lose.

Not entirely, some students come from wealthy backgrounds, but the students come mainly from the New Jersey and New York area and there are so many down to earth people that aren't the stereotypical rich kids.

I have had such great experiences with most of the professors I've had. So many of them are truely passionate about what they're teaching and make you interested in the subject. Most of the teachers are more then willing to meet you outside of class to help with anything and really have no problem providing extra help if you ask for it. I have heard good and bad things about Advisors but I know my freshman advisor was really helpful and reccommended I take a minor that would help with my major in getting jobs after I graduated. I am a rising junior and I already see how helpful the minor is going to be so I'm really greatful for the advise. They really want you to be able to apply what you learn to real life, not just the tests or finals. I have had one or two bad professors but I guess you can't completely avoid that. Overall though, I would have to say most professors here are really very helpful and good at their jobs.

I don't really do any activities through Monmouth but there are a lot of really interesting ones here. I always wanted to join the sailing team here but I haven't been able to with my schedule but there are pretty cool activities like that since we're on the beach. Students in the dorms (at least in the dorm I was in) almost always left their doors open. I had an amazing experience living in a suite freshman year. Our whole dorm was made up of a bunch of suites and everyone in the building basically became your new family. You always had your best friends right down the hall or up a flight of stairs. Even without cars on campus or a lot of people we knew with off campus houses, we always had something to do in the dorms because our best friends were in the same building anyway. Monmouth has a lot of fun events they do every year like Springfest ... basically just a lot of food and activities which is always fun. Frats and sororities aren't that important here at all ... there aren't any school sponsored frat houses or anything but if you have friends in the frats they usually have fun parties which is mostly what you do on the weekends. For people who choose not to drink, Monmouth actually has special floors and dorms where its a substance free floor so you don't have to be involved with drinking if you choose not to. They also has Thursday Night Alternative because Thursday is a big drinking night (Thirsty Thursday) so they have a lot of different stuff to do if you choose to avoid drinking and parties.

Monmouth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.