Monmouth University

« See more reviews of Monmouth University

I don't really do any activities through Monmouth but there are a lot of really interesting ones here. I always wanted to join the sailing team here but I haven't been able to with my schedule but there are pretty cool activities like that since we're on the beach. Students in the dorms (at least in the dorm I was in) almost always left their doors open. I had an amazing experience living in a suite freshman year. Our whole dorm was made up of a bunch of suites and everyone in the building basically became your new family. You always had your best friends right down the hall or up a flight of stairs. Even without cars on campus or a lot of people we knew with off campus houses, we always had something to do in the dorms because our best friends were in the same building anyway. Monmouth has a lot of fun events they do every year like Springfest ... basically just a lot of food and activities which is always fun. Frats and sororities aren't that important here at all ... there aren't any school sponsored frat houses or anything but if you have friends in the frats they usually have fun parties which is mostly what you do on the weekends. For people who choose not to drink, Monmouth actually has special floors and dorms where its a substance free floor so you don't have to be involved with drinking if you choose not to. They also has Thursday Night Alternative because Thursday is a big drinking night (Thirsty Thursday) so they have a lot of different stuff to do if you choose to avoid drinking and parties.

I'm not involved with any clubs or organizations although sororities and fraternities are very popular here. I play for the Women's Soccer Team and it was the best decission of my life. Unfortunately, athletic events are not really all that popular. A lot of times it is the student-athletes who attend each others games. If it weren't for playing soccer I do not know who I would be friends with - my best friends are either on soccer or on other sports teams and I have met them because of being on soccer. I loved the girls in my suite this year - we never locked our doors and usually left them open. We all got along really well and trusted each other. People party every night but that is going to happen at any school. Sunday is the day for student-athletes to party because Monday is our day off and, let me tell you - we throw the BEST parties. Because there is actually a town around Monmouth there is so much to do. You can go shopping in Red Bank, go out to eat in Pier Village, go to a concert or a Roller Derby in Asbury or bowling in West Long Branch. There's always something to do - you just have to be creative and sometimes put in the effort of looking.

The two most prominent groups on campus are the Student Activities Board and Student Government Association. I am involved with the Student Activities Board as a Co-Festival Chair. As a chair, I assist in planning 6 major events a year (3 per semester). In the Fall semester we typically plan, Monmouth Palooza which is part of Welcome Week and takes place the first weekend of school. This is an outdoor themed event that included novelties, inflateables, food and live music. The second event is Casino Night which takes place during Family Weekend and students and their families are able to win many prizes all while feeling like they are in Atlantic City. The 4 other events we do can range from a game show, mind reader, magician, illusionist, etc. We engage the students in fun and interaction amongst other students as well as the performers. Always a hit along with our other committees such as Diversity, Awareness, Travel and Tour, Comedy, Concerts, and Novelties.

At monmouth most people are involved in some type of organization. whether it be sports, clubs, or frats/sororities. i think that sororities think they own the school sometimes and it can be annoying. i particularly think there is more to school than that. I think mu isnt such a party school but there are definately more options of things to do as you get older. and when you are old enough for the bars that is mostly what the weekend consists of. I think a lot of people work though because there are a lot of places to get a part time or full time job and a lot of babysitting oppportunities around the area so most people work sometimes. there are so many things to do off campus especially pier village. it is so nice to go there and just walk. there are so many places to eat too around the campus.

Living in the dorms was the best experience ever. You naturally become extremely close with the people you live with because you see them every single day. They're there when you wake up and when you go to bed and when you're awake at 4 in the morning. It's great. There aren't that many sororities or frats, but there are some, and they have good parties usually. Joining one is a really good way to make close friends. I haven't joined but I know most people who do join do not regret the experience. People are always down to party, which is nice. If you're not a drinker, the movies and the mall and Pier Village are like 10 minutes away, and the beach is like 5 blocks away. It's a really safe town and a really safe campus, and I have NEVER felt unsafe walking around at night.

Being part of Monmouth University's Track and Feild as well as Cross Country team, I would say that the social enivorment at Monmouth is amazing. Being an athlete doesn't mean you can only be friends with the players on your team, here at Monmouth, athletes are friends with everyone. It's just a title not a meaning to us. We are titled as an Athlete, just as anyone else would be titled as an artist, or an actor. But, that's a title her you don't have to carry that title out with you. Once you step on the feild or track, that's when your sports comes into play or of course at practice as well, but once that time is up we are just normal people, and have an everyday life like anyone, and thats something i cherrish a lot about Monmouth is that everyone is looked at equal.

Again, Greek Life is pretty big at MU. It's like a community inside the community. Most students try to be friendly in the dorms, almost everyone leaves there door open to try and create friends. School spirit again can use some work. Things like Homecoming and Spring Fest though do show some school pride as they are the two biggest events on-campus all year (outside of Greek Week). The Student Activities Board works hard to put events together for the students, especially for the weekends, but most of the time they have attract minimal attendance. Greeks have most of the parties that student usually attend Thursday-Saturday. West End is pretty big for the 21 year olds during the weekends as well.

There is not much to do on campus at night, but everyone finds it to get a fake, or sneak into the clubs and bars around the area, because they aren't policed. I would certainly not trust leaving my door open for too long in the dorms, because there are a lot of those people that would steal just for the fun of it. Greek life is bland. All of the sororities are ugly, the fraternities are all mostly idiots, one of which was even rumored to have a puppy and killed it at the end of pledging as a pledge task or something. You will probably meet your friends in your majors and classes, as long as you aren't a loser and talk to them for once.

You should know that the Monmouth population is almost entirely New Jerseyan, and a lot of people go home on the weekends. Also, most of the school spirit at Monmouth is associated with their Div I athletic teams. However, if you are truly here to get a good education then these things shouldn't bother you too much. The location is nice, there is great shopping close by, and obviously the Jersey shore. There are 1 or 2 bars/clubs, the school is very safe, and most of the neighbors are friendly.

there is basically nothing to do socially on the weekends if you arent involved in greek life or a sports team. there are lots of resturants to go to and the beach is very close. pier village is a nice area with high class shop and the mall is a 5 minute drive. i am pretty much up late every night either doing work, eating, or out somewhere