Monmouth University

« See more reviews of Monmouth University

When I first came to Monmouth it was a little harder to make friends. Most kids were like me but for some reason I didn't hit it off with them. I ended up going home almost every weekend of my first semester freshman year. Then, in the spring I decided to pledge a fraternity - Sigma Pi. At first I didn't think I would like it because I didn't think I was a "frat guy". I even finished up the pledge process, got in, and still didn't think it was for me, but then in my sophomore year everything changed. I actually took a step forward and decided to get more active in the fraternity; give it a real shot. That decision ended up being the best one I ever made at Monmouth University. I started taking positions in my fraternity, running events, and this eventually led me to being elected President for the 2007 school year. I ended up learning that Sigma Pi was not the prototypical "frat" but was actually a fraternity. A fraternity that changed my life for the better. Not only did it help shape me as individual but it taught me about leadership, decision-making, delegating and much more. Sigma Pi always strives to uphold its standards and ideals through many community service/outreach programs, which is why it was such a great fraternity to join. Outside of Sigma Pi, Greek Life here at Monmouth is a pretty big deal. Monmouth itself is a tight-knit community but Greek Life is its own community inside Monmouth University. All the Greeks know each other and host many different events on campus. They also are most heavily involved in extracurricular activities as most Greeks are heads of other respective organizations such as SGA and the Senior Class Executive Board. The one thing I wish Monmouth had more of is school spirit. Monmouth is a Division I school but no one seems to notice. Our men's basketball team has made the NCAA tournament 3 out of the last 7 years. Everyone of course goes to those games but no one seems to make it out the regular season games which is a little discouraging. I always see these big-time schools with their fight chants and huge school spirit, and I look at Monmouth and there is barely any of that. I just think if we had a better school spirit it would enhance everyone's collegiate experience a little more. Monmouth isn't really apart of a college town persay, but it's not like it resides in a desolate area. There are tons of things to do around Monmouth's campus. There is West End which is great for 21 year olds because there are multiple bars on the road that students can hop to and from on any given night. Most importantly, the most distinguised (AND BEST) bar is located on West End and that is Jack's Goal Line Stand. Anyone who's anyone that goes to Monmouth knows about Jack's. It is the Monmouth Bar and it deserves to be. It's great food, great prices, and just prestigious, laid-back atmosphere make it the place to go. Also, outside of the bars there is the Monmouth Mall which is less than 4 miles away from campus. There's Nelly's which is a great, late-night spot for some of the best college food around. And finally, Monmouth's kind of only a half a mile from the beach which is needless to say, awesome. All-in-all as I look back at my time I Monmouth I enjoyed it so very much. I mean, yeah, some of the kids are a bit stuck up and judgemental but once you get passed that little annoyance you really can enjoy yourself. The professors are great and really care about you. They even take time out to learn your first name which I always thought was pretty cool, and you're more than just a number here at Monmouth, you actually matter to your professors and what not. You're NOT just a name on a class roster. The classes are not that tough, just make sure you study and get your work done and you'll be fine. And most importantly...HAVE FUN! Your 4 years go by so quick, enjoy every second.

The academics are great - - personally, i've never had a complaint about one teacher. Actually that's a lie, but you find out pretty quick from others which professors not to take. The classes are challenging, but not overwhelming- - as with any school, I guess it depends on your course load. That is also speaking from a non-honors standpoint. The people are incredibly fake - - literally, every one of them. It is bad enough that even you yourself are forced to be fake around people, just to avoid confusion. The students, in my tenure, tends to be the frats/sororities or anyone else held to a higher standard by the rest of the facebook-addicted, drone like student body, that are very used to getting their way. People become preoccupied with other people, and other people's problems, I can honestly say there is very little privacy at the school. In addition, the VAST majority of the students are preoccupied with other things, notably working and tanning. I can understand picking up a side job to help keep the refrigerator full and utility bills paid (if you live off campus), but students are working 40 hour weeks, resulting in, i swear to god i've heard this.."I don't have time for school, i have to work!!" Is our country and its citizens so obsessed with making money to blow on beer, weed, food that we forget that taking six credits a semester is going to keep your ass here longer? I'm on pace to graduate in four-years, and have never worked here. I couldn't do it, but then again, don't believe everyone who tells you they can. Sure, they are making money, but they're taking 4 classes and failing 2 of them. As far as the surrounding area of Long Branch, its residents despise the existence of Monmouth University. The school will never develop the way it wishes too, and off campus parties are usually called in to the station as the DJ equipment is going INTO the house. Students are given no respect, although for the aforementioned listed reasons, I'm not entirely shocked. School pride is for shit...Its not like a Rutgers or Penn State when school pride is actually...well, school pride. Our homecoming celebration consists of about 4 days of hype which then involves everyone at the school getting blackout drunk and walking to the parking lot outside the football field. The game is 5th, maybe 15th priority, most don't even go. It's just an excuse to get fucked up, receiving the same treatment as Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day. In all honesty, the subterfuge of trustworthy, honest, true friends took until the Spring semester of my Junior year for me to fully realize how much I truly dislike it at this school. It has contributed to a lot of recent anxiety problems for myself, which have since subsided since I finally got out of there this year. Fortunately though, I have met some people that I can vibe out and realize that they aren't just acting a certain way because certain people are around -- the most common trait at Monmouth. It is so absurd in that sense that you could be having an honest heartfelt conversation with someone, and one of your "boys" (and i mean those quotation marks to the highest degree) comes over and the whole atmosphere changes. - - Dining Hall food wasn't half bad, and life gets a lot simpler once you live off campus. Overall I'd give Academics a 7/10, only because they don't offer enough classes Atmosphere I'll give a 7/10, right by the beach and the area is really navigable Social standpoint I'll give a suck/10, obviously if you've read this you know its my biggest complaint, as well as one of the biggest from others. Fake, spoiled, immature are only some of the words that describe a large percent (upper 80's) of the school's population.

The school is located a mile from the beach so that has a big influence on why a lot of people come here. The beach is amazing and it is such a great place to hang out when its warm out or even fun to go to in the winter when its snowing. I think the school is just the right size ... not too big so no one knows you, but big enough that it's not just a repeat of your high school. Most people call Monmouth a "country club college" and they pretty much think you sound spoiled because it is a pretty pricey private university. Monmouth isn't exactly known for its party scene but there's usually something going on once you make some friends. When you're in the dorms it's fun to hang out with the people in your building but usually by sophmore year a lot of people get off campus housing and thats where everyone usually ends up. Monmouth has a lot of really great professors that take the time to get to know you and most are extremely helpful. There's always going to be a few rotten eggs but the majority of my professors have been nothing but helpful. All in all I love going to Monmouth and I absolutely would never transfer and I'm so sad that I'm already halfway done! :(

I think the school is a great size with a great location, in between both Phila and NYC (about 1.5 hours either way). The relationship among teachers and students is what you make. I have met some professors who I consider friends and life long mentors. The repuation and ranking of the school is increasing dramactically. The surrounding town(s) include a mall, the beach (about a mile), and everything you need is within driving distance. Most frquent complaints on campus are the dining facility, which I would say have there good days and others are just average. Overall, though I thought it was fine. The other thing was a complaint was the price of the school. Although there are many other private schools that are more expensive, the endowment is not huge and so only a portion of tuition is usually offered in financial aid packages. I recommend becoming an RA so that you do not have to pay room or board....huge savings.

Monmouth is a place where you create many chapters in your life. Each year as a student represents a chapter. I could not have had any better of an experience thus far. The first day of Freshman year is a day where you do not know what you are getting into. You just take a chance and go with it. Monmouth is a place where you feel comfortable taking a risk and shoot for the stars. It is a place that allows you to learn who you are, find yourself and along that journey you create lasting friendships. New friendships are made every year and no one is afraid to talk to the person next to them. It is a place where you can have as many friendships as you want and take part in anything you are interested in. No one will turn you away or look the other way. That's the best thing about Monmouth, it allows you to be who you want to be and there is no one stopping you. It is a place that makes you feel like your at home!

The best thing to me about Monmouth, is the campus. The campus is beautiful. The people that take care of it do an excellent job at it and are always up early working to make it a warm find place. The food and staff at Monmouth are always on the ball with everything. It's great food and each night they try and make it a new theme so you don't eat the same thing every night. I love the staff here at Monmouth as well, they are always free and willing to give you there time. They are very helpful with everything and always have a answer for you. Another thing that is great about Monmouth is the computer staff, many college students have to write papers, or surf the net and sometimes your computer can fail, whats nice about Monmouth is someone is always there to fix it!

i love that monmouth is close to the beach. i wish more people stayed on the weekends and there was more to do. many people have heard of Monmouth when i tell them where i go. they usually say they know of someone that goes there. im usually always busy and spend time in about every place besides my dorm room. the administration are some of the nicest people i have ever met. they are always kind and courteous from the some of the dining hall staff to the secretaries to the teachers. its actually a pleasure to have a conversation with them. many students go home on weekends so there isnt high attendence at the sporting events, but everyone i know has at least one article of clothing that says Monmouth on it. ill def always remember my first college party

The best thing about Monmouth is how safe and homey it feels, almost immediately. I am so comfortable going to school there, I really love it. It's a really small school and you almost always know all the faces you see walking to class. The campus is gorrrrgeous, and everyone who visits is always amazed at how nice it is. The town is not very college-y. Its a family beach community, but a lot of houses, especially towards Deal and Allenhurst, are rented to college kids during the school year. The parties are pretty fun, your best bet is to get close with someone who has a house so you can party there, but the frats have some pretty good parties too. You usually end up seeing the same people when you're out, which is nice.

Most people I talk to have never heard about Monmouth. Although we're currently becoming a bigger school, Monmouth still hasn't become a big name. I almost like it better that way. I think Monmouth is just the right size - the location is great, the people are spontaneous, and the food in Jersey beats the food in Maryland anyday. I seriously cannot imagine myself anywhere else - Monmouth is my home and my friends are my family. My only complaint is the Dining Hall does not open until 11:30 on the weekends. I'll always remember my freshman soccer season and all the little, meaningless memories I have with my friends. All those insignificant nights have had such an impact on me and I wouldn't change one minute of it.

The best thing about Monmouth is the beach. It gives the whole campus and school year a different feeling than any other schools I have visited. Being a part of the Cheerleading team at Monmouth is one of the best decisions I have made since I've been there. I get to do community service for good causes and I get to be a part of something fun. The only thing I would change about MU is the school spirit. A select few people show soo much spirit but as a whole the school doesn't have nearly as much spirit as my home town. I would like to see the stands filled more at football games.