Rochester, NY
Monroe Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monroe Community College

Mary

Dear my past self, You make good decisions for the next two years after high school. You receive your liberal arts degree-that's the best step you take. Now, during those two years, give yourself some time to figure out what career to choose. Don't look at me confused! You know deep in your heart the career path you are going down is lead by someone else, and it's not your real desire. I know you're interested in technology and you should pursue that. If you cannot make a decision on your career path- go military. Technically, you're going to join the US Navy, but I would really like you to join the Air Force. Why not the Navy? You have a problem with living on the ship. Don't get me wrong, you love your job and working on the flight deck, but you hate living on it. There's barely any privacy, and there are no weekends on a ship. You work 12 hours everyday! Now, while in college: go for a high GPA, join two clubs, become an officer of one club, and dump that boyfriend of yours! Yours truly, Yourself

Rude, inconsiderate people should not attend this school. My experiences have shown me students that are forced by their parents to attend college or move out. Those students are ungrateful for the home they are able to stay in. In the future, I hope more students with good attitudes and determination attend this college.

I don't normally brag, but I would mention that MCC is one of the top ten community colleges in the country. I would like to point out that the faculty and staff care about their students achieving academic success. Students that enroll to MCC are of all ages. The traditional student is no more. I have seen ages 18 through 80 attend this wonderful college. Back in 2008, an 80 year old woman was at MCC to achieve a GED, because she never graduated high school. I would recommend MCC to anyone!

Katrina

Monroe Community College is a educational and well informed institution that allows students to study for much less money than a private or large SUNY campus.

I can go back in time and i tell myself to see what other schools are out there. I made the mistake of only applying to one institution. I would have rather chosen from a bunch of campuses than just one. The one i went to was awful with drama. I most definately would tell myself to be careful of who you make friends with and not trust people so easily. I would tell myself to stear clear of people who are fake and just want attention. I would definately tell myself to get a single room. I had a lot of roommate problems. I would make sure that i stress the fact of attending a community college first. its cheaper and allows you to get all your general education courses out of the way.

I brag about how welcoming and friendly the staff is when first starting out at the campus.

Debra

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself a High School Senior, knowing what know now anout College in making the transction, the advice I would give to myself would be to never take life for granted. So, many opportunties came my way and for some reason or other I just let them pass by. I feel every opportunity to get the best College Education should be ones first priorty. I would advise anyone one that is contemplating whether or not to go to College should think long and hard and make that choice. I feel every one is entitled to the best possible Education as poosible. Again, no child should be left behind. Thank you

I most brag about the Professors, they are truly great. I feel they are easy to talk to and I give them a good rating because of their professionalism

I feel the most frustrating things about the school is that lines are long in the Bookstore and that it means waiting for long periods of time

What makes Monroe Community College so unique is the diversity of all of its students. Everyone who goes there is very different, but everyone is also very accepting of one another. Monroe Community College is a place where you can feel free to be yourself.

There is so much that I would want to say to my high school senior self if I had the chance. I would want to tell myself that even though my years at Monroe Community College may feel very lonely, I should still be optimistic for the future. Although it might take a while before I figure out where I want to end up in my career, I will figure it out. I would tell myself not to worry because it is all part of my journey. I know that I have had commitment issues in the past, especially when it comes to choosing a career path, but that’s ok because when the time is right I will know what to do. When I was a senior that was a big cause of my stress, so I would want to tell myself not to worry about choosing a specific career right away, it is perfectly normal to change my mind and switch majors. Most importantly, I would tell myself to be strong and stay focused because it will pay off in the end.

The worst thing about my school is the fact that it still feels like I'm in high school. It seems like in every class there are always people who don't take the class seriously even though they're paying to be there. Why pay for the class is you aren't going to take it seriously or not even bother to show up? It can be distracting when someone I'm sitting next to is talking to the person next to them or texting (which happens a lot).

Keith

I would tell my high school self to not take high school so lightly and don't slack off just because you know you can get decent graades doing half the work. I would say that all the hard work I put in will pay off- literally in the form of scholarships from a variety of different places. I would say to my younger self that school is a pain in the ass, but it is very necessary for where you want to get in life. Don't ever get discouraged. You've fought through way more difficult obstacles than getting good grades, so keep fighting and don't back down!

Their downtown campus lacks a cafeteria area, but they are planning to move to campus to another building and hopefully that fixes the issue.

Those that are not sure of exactly what major they want to pursue. You will end up saving A TON of money!

Christopher

If I were to go back in time with the ability to share my experiences as well as my lifes lessons with myself. I would tell me that everything your doing now can wait, go ahead and go to College.Learn everything that you can now for hard work now will allow you too play later. What I mean is the social interaction with your peers will shape you greatly,this is needed to mold you into the person that you will become. Communication is key and jump starting that drive to learn will greatly highten all the experiences to follow. There are great Professors that will insight you to grow out of your comfort zone and delve into life changing rolls that will continue to mold you in later life. The support system that is put into place and tools that MCC has is only second to none, there is unlimited help on this Community College that has been put in place to only assist you with succeeding and obtaining goals that change over ones life time.

Someone who is hungry for knowledge,but doesn't want to become over come with life on the Universities,someone who needs that xtra help that would help instill the study habits needed to succeed and move on the a 4yr school.Someone who may be restarting his or her career over or may be just beginning,or theat Grand Parent looking to make a change.This College has the big College support within the small Community feel.

If the student is looking possibly be Ivy league,wouldn't be happy at a Community College.

Kimberley

My school is best known for it's undergraduate psychology department. It has so many great psychology classes and a psychology club. It also has the widest assorment of classes I have ever seen, but I think that is expected of community colleges. Most of the teachers are great and down to earth people. I can't say I've had a bad teacher in my two years of attending the school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say. First I would tell myself to apply to more than one school. I was rejected from the one school I applied to and lost all hope and just attended a community college. I know now that the more schools you apply to, the better your odds. I also would have warned myself about the work load in college. It's not like high school where you can get by with a B doing almost nothing. In college its a whole new ball game. My first semester was very rough because I didn't have any good work habits from high school. So I would definatley have tried to study more if I could go back and talk to my senior self. Everything turned out just fine for me though, so luckily I have no reason to create a time machine and tell myself to change things my senior year of highschool.

I wish that I knew how great the teachers were at this school before I attended. I was afraid that since it was a community college, that all the teachers wouldn't care and wouldn't be as good as teachers at a four-year school. But I have found that most of these teachers cared more than most of my high school teacher. They are just wonderful.

Kelly

The advice I would give myself would be to try harder because it would really make a difference in how well you do in college. After high school I went to college for one year and I had no idea what to expect. College was totally different than highschool. Unfortunatlly I had gotten in over my head and decided to not pursue college. After twelve years of working in the retail industry and having three children I realized that I had made a terrible decision. So I made a decision to go back to school and become a better person not only for myself but for my family as well.

I think my school is a great school to get started in. The only thing I wish I had known before hand is how difficult the parking sitution was.

The worst thing about my school is that my particular major's classes a scattered throughout the campus because out school is to small.

If I could write a letter to me as a senior in high school the first thing I would tell myself is to not stress myself out about going to college. I would make sure that I told myself to get in all my paper work that needed to be filled out early on in the year, and not to wait until the last second to do everything. I would also make sure to tell myself to not be so nervous about moving out of the house and in with people that I had never met before, and that everything was going to work out, as long as I kept my grades up and kept being the great student that I knew I was. I would also tell myself to let the people, and teachers from high school that influenced me, know how they made me a better person, and gave me these huge open arms as I stood infront of the new world that faced me. I would make sure I thanked them, especially my family, for everything that they did for me in order to send me out into the college world.

The best thing about my school would mosy likely be the fact that for being a community college, it has so much to offer. I think this is the best because then students looking into all sorts of different programs can come here, and start their education while trying to find a 4 year school that they can transfer to that would be perfect for them.

The worst thing about my school would probably be that some of the rooms that we have classes in havn't been well kept, they seem to be fairly old and worn out compared to some of the other parts of the school.

Elijah

It is a big school, but there are many unique and interesting classes to take so you don't get bored with your standard class...

It is a big school, but there are many unique and interesting classes to take so you don't get bored with your standard classes.

If I could go back in time and give my self advice about college I would tell my self to apply for as many scholarships as possible. College is very exspensive even at Monroe Community College. I would also tell my self to set up a personal study area while living at home so I could study without being distracted by my many sibblings. The final thing I would say is to always put in an interesting and fun college course for my self so I can enjoy my classes and be excited to go even if it is not apart of my major.

This school is fit for almost every one, but it is a very big one.

Monroe Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.