Rochester, NY
Monroe Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monroe Community College

What makes Monroe Community College so unique is the diversity of all of its students. Everyone who goes there is very different, but everyone is also very accepting of one another. Monroe Community College is a place where you can feel free to be yourself.

There is so much that I would want to say to my high school senior self if I had the chance. I would want to tell myself that even though my years at Monroe Community College may feel very lonely, I should still be optimistic for the future. Although it might take a while before I figure out where I want to end up in my career, I will figure it out. I would tell myself not to worry because it is all part of my journey. I know that I have had commitment issues in the past, especially when it comes to choosing a career path, but that’s ok because when the time is right I will know what to do. When I was a senior that was a big cause of my stress, so I would want to tell myself not to worry about choosing a specific career right away, it is perfectly normal to change my mind and switch majors. Most importantly, I would tell myself to be strong and stay focused because it will pay off in the end.

The worst thing about my school is the fact that it still feels like I'm in high school. It seems like in every class there are always people who don't take the class seriously even though they're paying to be there. Why pay for the class is you aren't going to take it seriously or not even bother to show up? It can be distracting when someone I'm sitting next to is talking to the person next to them or texting (which happens a lot).

Keith

I would tell my high school self to not take high school so lightly and don't slack off just because you know you can get decent graades doing half the work. I would say that all the hard work I put in will pay off- literally in the form of scholarships from a variety of different places. I would say to my younger self that school is a pain in the ass, but it is very necessary for where you want to get in life. Don't ever get discouraged. You've fought through way more difficult obstacles than getting good grades, so keep fighting and don't back down!

Their downtown campus lacks a cafeteria area, but they are planning to move to campus to another building and hopefully that fixes the issue.

Those that are not sure of exactly what major they want to pursue. You will end up saving A TON of money!

Christopher

If I were to go back in time with the ability to share my experiences as well as my lifes lessons with myself. I would tell me that everything your doing now can wait, go ahead and go to College.Learn everything that you can now for hard work now will allow you too play later. What I mean is the social interaction with your peers will shape you greatly,this is needed to mold you into the person that you will become. Communication is key and jump starting that drive to learn will greatly highten all the experiences to follow. There are great Professors that will insight you to grow out of your comfort zone and delve into life changing rolls that will continue to mold you in later life. The support system that is put into place and tools that MCC has is only second to none, there is unlimited help on this Community College that has been put in place to only assist you with succeeding and obtaining goals that change over ones life time.

Someone who is hungry for knowledge,but doesn't want to become over come with life on the Universities,someone who needs that xtra help that would help instill the study habits needed to succeed and move on the a 4yr school.Someone who may be restarting his or her career over or may be just beginning,or theat Grand Parent looking to make a change.This College has the big College support within the small Community feel.

If the student is looking possibly be Ivy league,wouldn't be happy at a Community College.

Kimberley

My school is best known for it's undergraduate psychology department. It has so many great psychology classes and a psychology club. It also has the widest assorment of classes I have ever seen, but I think that is expected of community colleges. Most of the teachers are great and down to earth people. I can't say I've had a bad teacher in my two years of attending the school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say. First I would tell myself to apply to more than one school. I was rejected from the one school I applied to and lost all hope and just attended a community college. I know now that the more schools you apply to, the better your odds. I also would have warned myself about the work load in college. It's not like high school where you can get by with a B doing almost nothing. In college its a whole new ball game. My first semester was very rough because I didn't have any good work habits from high school. So I would definatley have tried to study more if I could go back and talk to my senior self. Everything turned out just fine for me though, so luckily I have no reason to create a time machine and tell myself to change things my senior year of highschool.

I wish that I knew how great the teachers were at this school before I attended. I was afraid that since it was a community college, that all the teachers wouldn't care and wouldn't be as good as teachers at a four-year school. But I have found that most of these teachers cared more than most of my high school teacher. They are just wonderful.

Kelly

The advice I would give myself would be to try harder because it would really make a difference in how well you do in college. After high school I went to college for one year and I had no idea what to expect. College was totally different than highschool. Unfortunatlly I had gotten in over my head and decided to not pursue college. After twelve years of working in the retail industry and having three children I realized that I had made a terrible decision. So I made a decision to go back to school and become a better person not only for myself but for my family as well.

I think my school is a great school to get started in. The only thing I wish I had known before hand is how difficult the parking sitution was.

The worst thing about my school is that my particular major's classes a scattered throughout the campus because out school is to small.

If I could write a letter to me as a senior in high school the first thing I would tell myself is to not stress myself out about going to college. I would make sure that I told myself to get in all my paper work that needed to be filled out early on in the year, and not to wait until the last second to do everything. I would also make sure to tell myself to not be so nervous about moving out of the house and in with people that I had never met before, and that everything was going to work out, as long as I kept my grades up and kept being the great student that I knew I was. I would also tell myself to let the people, and teachers from high school that influenced me, know how they made me a better person, and gave me these huge open arms as I stood infront of the new world that faced me. I would make sure I thanked them, especially my family, for everything that they did for me in order to send me out into the college world.

The best thing about my school would mosy likely be the fact that for being a community college, it has so much to offer. I think this is the best because then students looking into all sorts of different programs can come here, and start their education while trying to find a 4 year school that they can transfer to that would be perfect for them.

The worst thing about my school would probably be that some of the rooms that we have classes in havn't been well kept, they seem to be fairly old and worn out compared to some of the other parts of the school.

Elijah

It is a big school, but there are many unique and interesting classes to take so you don't get bored with your standard class...

It is a big school, but there are many unique and interesting classes to take so you don't get bored with your standard classes.

If I could go back in time and give my self advice about college I would tell my self to apply for as many scholarships as possible. College is very exspensive even at Monroe Community College. I would also tell my self to set up a personal study area while living at home so I could study without being distracted by my many sibblings. The final thing I would say is to always put in an interesting and fun college course for my self so I can enjoy my classes and be excited to go even if it is not apart of my major.

This school is fit for almost every one, but it is a very big one.

Cyialece

They are all different and i have so many that it is quite hard to narrow it down. For the most part their cool.

I would give myself the advice to test my self discipline. Enforce time management and focus. Be a kid, have fun, and don't talk to strangers. That is as simply as it would need to be knowing what i know as a college students. Taking school more seriously, and taking advantage of the help the the school provides.

Parking and the tickets the parking officers give when you have a parking pass or not.

Sierra

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior I would do everything differently. I would have started applying for scholarships and re-taken the SATs. Moreover, I would have taken more classes, some being honors classes. I would have given myself a better opportunity of getting into the colleges that I applied to as a freshman rather than having to go to a community college. The transition from high school to college is drastic. I have always been the mature type who forced myself to excell in all of my endeavors so it was not hard for me to put effort into my college classes right off the bat. For some people the transition is too much because they have a lot of freedom. These people end up slacking off in school and ultimately do no care about their college eduacation. If I could go back in time the one bit of advice that I would give myself would be to work harder in my senior year so I could have had the opportunity to transfer to a better university as a freshman.

Someone who is unsure about what they want to major in.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it is high school part two. I want to go to a college where I can meet new people instead of seeing all of the same faces from high school.

Janmarie

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to worry about where everyone else is going to school. I wasted so much time applying to schools that I really didn't want to go to, just to impress everyone at school with where I got accepted. I ended up not going away to college anyway, but spending my first two years of college at community college, which is the best decision I could have made. I learned so much about myself and my learning styles and my motivations that I would not have learned at a big college, I would have been to caught up in being overwhelmed about all the changes in my life. The best advice I could give myself would be to listen to what I want and what I need and not worry about everyone else. No one else at school knew what I was feeling or what I needed except myself. Now I know exactly what kind of school I want to transfer to--not a huge one where I would get lost, I want a small one where I can have an effect.

I love that all of my classes at the Damon City Campus never have more than thirty people. I have learned that I prefer smaller classes where I actually get to know the professor rather than big classes that hold over 100 students. I brag to all my friends that I get to talk to my professors everyday and that they actually recognize me when I pass in the hallway. The professors really care about your success and are willing to work hard with you to make sure you achieve your goals.

The most frustrating thing about Monroe Community College is the location of my campus. I attend classes at the Damon City Campus of Monroe Community College, and it is located in the middle of Rochester. I had no choice in where I took me classes, because the Education Department is located in that campus. I have learned a lot about being in a city as I am a suburbs girl, but it is a little scary hearing on the news every night about the muggings and murders that have taken place close to where you go to school everyday.

Monroe Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.