Monroe Community College

« See more reviews of Monroe Community College

I would tell myself as a high school senior: "Trisha, college will not be easy as high school. The number one skill that is crucial in surviving college is writing. If you can, take as many writing classes in high school as you can. If you have a problem with grammer, polish it now so that your papers are gold by the time you have a paper conference with your English professor. More importantly, I know you have problems with argumentative papers. Your best bet in scoring high in the SAT as well as succeeding in college is knowing how to write argumentative papers. The only way you can succeed in writing argumentative papers is to succeed in History, Science, and English. Though each subject is different in its own way, each require some form of argument to support your stances. Lastly, do not be afraid to ask questions. Though it is intimidating to ask questions, especially in high school, asking questions will only lead you one step closer to understanding the situation at hand, and even a step closer to getting a good grade. Furthermore, asking questions gives the teacher an idea things you dont understand."

Making the shift from High School to College was not as difficult for me as other people made it seem. If I could go back and tell myself one thing about college at the start of senior year, I would say that college is really "thirteenth grade". The only significant changes for me were the amount of homework assignments, the amount of people around me that I know only as strangers, and the freedom you experience without teachers over your shoulder rushing you to class all day. The advice I would give to myself as well as any other high schooler nervous about the shift would be to not stress. The homework is easily manageable if you budget your time; set aside a few hours every night and you will get it done I promise. Next I would advise everyone, outgoing or shy, to take a chance and talk to new people; look for people similar to yourself or friends and start a conversation, who knows where it will lead. Lastly I would tell myself to enjoy the freedom while it lasts; soon enough we'll be adults in the real world working towards even bigger and better things.

Ariel, Take it easy. You think you want to be a doctor but life choices and experiences will lead you where you are suppose to be. I know you are beating yourself up for denying that small scholarship to University of Rochester, but don't. You only applied to Monroe Community College and maybe you should have applied to more colleges to broaden your options, but Monroe Community College is good for you. You love to help people and you will do just that at MCC. You will find yourself above the average college student there academically but that's okay. This will give you the chance to help people with their grades and meet new friends. You may want more challenging classes but MCC will provide you with the basics that you think you already know but you really don't. Don't put MCC below you because it is honestly over your financial standings; don't put anything below you. You need to work your way up and you will do exactly that. You will be able to work and go to school and save money. Don't take a single day or class for granted. Always smile.

In my senior year of high school I was severely depressed, abusing drugs and alcohol and myself. My transition to college was a geographically short one, and I did not stimulate any change in me. My first stab at college was at a small Christian college with incredibly rigorous courses. I didn't care about any of my classes because my depression had full control of me, though in high school I was a straight A student. If I could go back in time and tell my senior self the wisdom I have learned it would have been "do not go to school now. get help. you need to get help, get strong and confident and THEN you can go to school." After leaving my first school I have sought intense therapy to help me through the incredible amount of STUFF that I had to deal with before I could be a confident and motivated to not only handle but excell in college. Now, as a healthy(er) adult, I am a straight A student once again (save for a B+ in a math class). My education has multiplied my self confidence and happiness.

Dear my past self, You make good decisions for the next two years after high school. You receive your liberal arts degree-that's the best step you take. Now, during those two years, give yourself some time to figure out what career to choose. Don't look at me confused! You know deep in your heart the career path you are going down is lead by someone else, and it's not your real desire. I know you're interested in technology and you should pursue that. If you cannot make a decision on your career path- go military. Technically, you're going to join the US Navy, but I would really like you to join the Air Force. Why not the Navy? You have a problem with living on the ship. Don't get me wrong, you love your job and working on the flight deck, but you hate living on it. There's barely any privacy, and there are no weekends on a ship. You work 12 hours everyday! Now, while in college: go for a high GPA, join two clubs, become an officer of one club, and dump that boyfriend of yours! Yours truly, Yourself

Everything you do this year counts. Simple things like volunteering, working at your part-time job and visiting your grandmother in the nursing home count towards shaping you into an adult headed towards your first year of college. Whether you are going to a local community college or a four year university try to remember that you are not alone. You have friends, family, teachers and counselors around that will be there to help guide and encourage you, if you ask. (Asking is the key) Don't pressure yourself or let others do it to you, if you cannot decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Go to college, take a class that has nothing to do with the major you have picked. Have fun, broaden your horizion and try to talk to people in class that you would have never spoken to in high school. Who knows you may meet your new best friend. So, right now in your senior year, step outside your comfort zone, volunteer, visit, talk to a new friend and remember, everything you do counts.

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior I would do everything differently. I would have started applying for scholarships and re-taken the SATs. Moreover, I would have taken more classes, some being honors classes. I would have given myself a better opportunity of getting into the colleges that I applied to as a freshman rather than having to go to a community college. The transition from high school to college is drastic. I have always been the mature type who forced myself to excell in all of my endeavors so it was not hard for me to put effort into my college classes right off the bat. For some people the transition is too much because they have a lot of freedom. These people end up slacking off in school and ultimately do no care about their college eduacation. If I could go back in time the one bit of advice that I would give myself would be to work harder in my senior year so I could have had the opportunity to transfer to a better university as a freshman.

I would tell myself to go get my permit and license a lot earlier because commuting to college without a car and license would be a huge hassle. Relying on my grandmother and mother to drive me back and forth is not only a pain for them, but also a pain for me because I can't stay on campus for too long. I would tell myself to learn to manage my time better. It's true that the assignments aren't all too bad, but they are time consuming. I would remind myself that college is only as hard as I make it out to be, so I should focus on getting assignments done earlier and not procrastinate like I have done through high school. Procrastination will only make things harder for me. Also, the second most important advice to myself, sign up for classes as early as possible! This will help to avoid signing up for classes on the weekends and week nights. The most important advice is to not give up. You made it as a senior and you will make it to college. Keep going and don't look back.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to worry about where everyone else is going to school. I wasted so much time applying to schools that I really didn't want to go to, just to impress everyone at school with where I got accepted. I ended up not going away to college anyway, but spending my first two years of college at community college, which is the best decision I could have made. I learned so much about myself and my learning styles and my motivations that I would not have learned at a big college, I would have been to caught up in being overwhelmed about all the changes in my life. The best advice I could give myself would be to listen to what I want and what I need and not worry about everyone else. No one else at school knew what I was feeling or what I needed except myself. Now I know exactly what kind of school I want to transfer to--not a huge one where I would get lost, I want a small one where I can have an effect.

If I were to go back in time with the ability to share my experiences as well as my lifes lessons with myself. I would tell me that everything your doing now can wait, go ahead and go to College.Learn everything that you can now for hard work now will allow you too play later. What I mean is the social interaction with your peers will shape you greatly,this is needed to mold you into the person that you will become. Communication is key and jump starting that drive to learn will greatly highten all the experiences to follow. There are great Professors that will insight you to grow out of your comfort zone and delve into life changing rolls that will continue to mold you in later life. The support system that is put into place and tools that MCC has is only second to none, there is unlimited help on this Community College that has been put in place to only assist you with succeeding and obtaining goals that change over ones life time.