Monroe Community College Top Questions

Gina

The advice I would give myself if I were to go back in time would be to take school more seriously. I would tell myself to stick with it and still give it my all even for my senior year. I would also tell myself to try and take a few AP classes so that I could start at higher level classes in college to save time and money.

Debra

The advice I would give to mtself would be to never give up. I have always wanted to be a Nurse. It is my passion and when I see Seniors from High School who just enver put forth the effort to go to School and make a difference. Knowing what I know now about College life and making the transiton, the good advice would be stay in school and graduate. The way the ecomony is today and the job market. You will need a College Degree and more. So, to all the High School Student out there, be somebody, amke a diffefrence, make your parents proud, and not onlt that make yourself proud. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Jazz

To apply for the right college the first time that way my finacial aid wont be taken away from me

Ariel

Ariel, Take it easy. You think you want to be a doctor but life choices and experiences will lead you where you are suppose to be. I know you are beating yourself up for denying that small scholarship to University of Rochester, but don't. You only applied to Monroe Community College and maybe you should have applied to more colleges to broaden your options, but Monroe Community College is good for you. You love to help people and you will do just that at MCC. You will find yourself above the average college student there academically but that's okay. This will give you the chance to help people with their grades and meet new friends. You may want more challenging classes but MCC will provide you with the basics that you think you already know but you really don't. Don't put MCC below you because it is honestly over your financial standings; don't put anything below you. You need to work your way up and you will do exactly that. You will be able to work and go to school and save money. Don't take a single day or class for granted. Always smile.

Michele

If I could go back in time to my senior year of high school, I would tell myself to work harder on applying for scholarships. I am extremely happy with my choice to go to community college, but if i had scholarships for it, my pursuit to go to a University in the future would have been much less expensive. Scholarships are an extremely important part of college that you ignore as a senior because you are excited about starting a new life and having freedom. I recently went to my high school and told this advice to current seniors so that they can keep in mind how important it is to research ways to pay for college.

If I were to go back in time to my high-school self I would have a lot to say to myself. I'd sit high-school me and tell myself everything they should expect. I would tell myself to study hard, go get extra help every free chance I get. I'd tell myself to talk and create relationships with professors in the future because this can help improve on grades , understanding a class better, and professors love to feed knowledge to students. Another thing i would tell myself is to join clubs I'd enjoy because its a great way to meet new people wall doing something you love or something knew you have always wanted to try. Before I leave my high-school self I'd tell myself college just isn't about test, homework, studying, but you need to take the time in your college years to find out who you are as a person and who you want to be.

I would tell myself to go get my permit and license a lot earlier because commuting to college without a car and license would be a huge hassle. Relying on my grandmother and mother to drive me back and forth is not only a pain for them, but also a pain for me because I can't stay on campus for too long. I would tell myself to learn to manage my time better. It's true that the assignments aren't all too bad, but they are time consuming. I would remind myself that college is only as hard as I make it out to be, so I should focus on getting assignments done earlier and not procrastinate like I have done through high school. Procrastination will only make things harder for me. Also, the second most important advice to myself, sign up for classes as early as possible! This will help to avoid signing up for classes on the weekends and week nights. The most important advice is to not give up. You made it as a senior and you will make it to college. Keep going and don't look back.

Making the shift from High School to College was not as difficult for me as other people made it seem. If I could go back and tell myself one thing about college at the start of senior year, I would say that college is really "thirteenth grade". The only significant changes for me were the amount of homework assignments, the amount of people around me that I know only as strangers, and the freedom you experience without teachers over your shoulder rushing you to class all day. The advice I would give to myself as well as any other high schooler nervous about the shift would be to not stress. The homework is easily manageable if you budget your time; set aside a few hours every night and you will get it done I promise. Next I would advise everyone, outgoing or shy, to take a chance and talk to new people; look for people similar to yourself or friends and start a conversation, who knows where it will lead. Lastly I would tell myself to enjoy the freedom while it lasts; soon enough we'll be adults in the real world working towards even bigger and better things.

Janay

I would probably tell myself to, "Have faith and keep moving." I didn't have much direction after high school, but I wouldn't take away that time I was lost because I needed it to truly think about and set my goals up.

Dear my past self, You make good decisions for the next two years after high school. You receive your liberal arts degree-that's the best step you take. Now, during those two years, give yourself some time to figure out what career to choose. Don't look at me confused! You know deep in your heart the career path you are going down is lead by someone else, and it's not your real desire. I know you're interested in technology and you should pursue that. If you cannot make a decision on your career path- go military. Technically, you're going to join the US Navy, but I would really like you to join the Air Force. Why not the Navy? You have a problem with living on the ship. Don't get me wrong, you love your job and working on the flight deck, but you hate living on it. There's barely any privacy, and there are no weekends on a ship. You work 12 hours everyday! Now, while in college: go for a high GPA, join two clubs, become an officer of one club, and dump that boyfriend of yours! Yours truly, Yourself

Katrina

I can go back in time and i tell myself to see what other schools are out there. I made the mistake of only applying to one institution. I would have rather chosen from a bunch of campuses than just one. The one i went to was awful with drama. I most definately would tell myself to be careful of who you make friends with and not trust people so easily. I would tell myself to stear clear of people who are fake and just want attention. I would definately tell myself to get a single room. I had a lot of roommate problems. I would make sure that i stress the fact of attending a community college first. its cheaper and allows you to get all your general education courses out of the way.

Debra

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself a High School Senior, knowing what know now anout College in making the transction, the advice I would give to myself would be to never take life for granted. So, many opportunties came my way and for some reason or other I just let them pass by. I feel every opportunity to get the best College Education should be ones first priorty. I would advise anyone one that is contemplating whether or not to go to College should think long and hard and make that choice. I feel every one is entitled to the best possible Education as poosible. Again, no child should be left behind. Thank you

There is so much that I would want to say to my high school senior self if I had the chance. I would want to tell myself that even though my years at Monroe Community College may feel very lonely, I should still be optimistic for the future. Although it might take a while before I figure out where I want to end up in my career, I will figure it out. I would tell myself not to worry because it is all part of my journey. I know that I have had commitment issues in the past, especially when it comes to choosing a career path, but that’s ok because when the time is right I will know what to do. When I was a senior that was a big cause of my stress, so I would want to tell myself not to worry about choosing a specific career right away, it is perfectly normal to change my mind and switch majors. Most importantly, I would tell myself to be strong and stay focused because it will pay off in the end.

Keith

I would tell my high school self to not take high school so lightly and don't slack off just because you know you can get decent graades doing half the work. I would say that all the hard work I put in will pay off- literally in the form of scholarships from a variety of different places. I would say to my younger self that school is a pain in the ass, but it is very necessary for where you want to get in life. Don't ever get discouraged. You've fought through way more difficult obstacles than getting good grades, so keep fighting and don't back down!

If I were to go back in time with the ability to share my experiences as well as my lifes lessons with myself. I would tell me that everything your doing now can wait, go ahead and go to College.Learn everything that you can now for hard work now will allow you too play later. What I mean is the social interaction with your peers will shape you greatly,this is needed to mold you into the person that you will become. Communication is key and jump starting that drive to learn will greatly highten all the experiences to follow. There are great Professors that will insight you to grow out of your comfort zone and delve into life changing rolls that will continue to mold you in later life. The support system that is put into place and tools that MCC has is only second to none, there is unlimited help on this Community College that has been put in place to only assist you with succeeding and obtaining goals that change over ones life time.

Kimberley

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say. First I would tell myself to apply to more than one school. I was rejected from the one school I applied to and lost all hope and just attended a community college. I know now that the more schools you apply to, the better your odds. I also would have warned myself about the work load in college. It's not like high school where you can get by with a B doing almost nothing. In college its a whole new ball game. My first semester was very rough because I didn't have any good work habits from high school. So I would definatley have tried to study more if I could go back and talk to my senior self. Everything turned out just fine for me though, so luckily I have no reason to create a time machine and tell myself to change things my senior year of highschool.

The advice I would give myself would be to try harder because it would really make a difference in how well you do in college. After high school I went to college for one year and I had no idea what to expect. College was totally different than highschool. Unfortunatlly I had gotten in over my head and decided to not pursue college. After twelve years of working in the retail industry and having three children I realized that I had made a terrible decision. So I made a decision to go back to school and become a better person not only for myself but for my family as well.

If I could write a letter to me as a senior in high school the first thing I would tell myself is to not stress myself out about going to college. I would make sure that I told myself to get in all my paper work that needed to be filled out early on in the year, and not to wait until the last second to do everything. I would also make sure to tell myself to not be so nervous about moving out of the house and in with people that I had never met before, and that everything was going to work out, as long as I kept my grades up and kept being the great student that I knew I was. I would also tell myself to let the people, and teachers from high school that influenced me, know how they made me a better person, and gave me these huge open arms as I stood infront of the new world that faced me. I would make sure I thanked them, especially my family, for everything that they did for me in order to send me out into the college world.

Elijah

If I could go back in time and give my self advice about college I would tell my self to apply for as many scholarships as possible. College is very exspensive even at Monroe Community College. I would also tell my self to set up a personal study area while living at home so I could study without being distracted by my many sibblings. The final thing I would say is to always put in an interesting and fun college course for my self so I can enjoy my classes and be excited to go even if it is not apart of my major.

Cyialece

I would give myself the advice to test my self discipline. Enforce time management and focus. Be a kid, have fun, and don't talk to strangers. That is as simply as it would need to be knowing what i know as a college students. Taking school more seriously, and taking advantage of the help the the school provides.

Sierra

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior I would do everything differently. I would have started applying for scholarships and re-taken the SATs. Moreover, I would have taken more classes, some being honors classes. I would have given myself a better opportunity of getting into the colleges that I applied to as a freshman rather than having to go to a community college. The transition from high school to college is drastic. I have always been the mature type who forced myself to excell in all of my endeavors so it was not hard for me to put effort into my college classes right off the bat. For some people the transition is too much because they have a lot of freedom. These people end up slacking off in school and ultimately do no care about their college eduacation. If I could go back in time the one bit of advice that I would give myself would be to work harder in my senior year so I could have had the opportunity to transfer to a better university as a freshman.

Janmarie

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to worry about where everyone else is going to school. I wasted so much time applying to schools that I really didn't want to go to, just to impress everyone at school with where I got accepted. I ended up not going away to college anyway, but spending my first two years of college at community college, which is the best decision I could have made. I learned so much about myself and my learning styles and my motivations that I would not have learned at a big college, I would have been to caught up in being overwhelmed about all the changes in my life. The best advice I could give myself would be to listen to what I want and what I need and not worry about everyone else. No one else at school knew what I was feeling or what I needed except myself. Now I know exactly what kind of school I want to transfer to--not a huge one where I would get lost, I want a small one where I can have an effect.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college life is for mature adults. In high school, I had my teachers or parents help me with everything, but in college I have to fend for myself. Professors are there to help but you have to take the time out to go to their office or whenever they are available. The effort needs to come from you, not others telling you what to do and patting you back. Also, I would tell myself that studying needs to be done! If I put half as much effort in high school as I do in college, I would of probably done a lot better.

I would go back and tell myself to try harder in school and to get a job sooner so i could afford college better. I would tell myself to take school more seriously and make my self push myself harder for a reach college.

Misty

Wow.....it's your senior year and you are nothing but excited to be done with school. All the home work, studying, test taking. It feels like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and now all there is to focus on is the summer and a cool summer job to have gas money. Before all of these ideas take full control of your mind, try to think more long term. I know it's difficult, but keep in mind that the summer will eventually end. Your friends will eventually move on with their lives. Some will try to stay in the perpetual summer. Do you want to be one of those people? Do you want to wake up one day wondering what happened to my life? What happened to my future? Do I still have time, the money, the drive to grab the dreams that I once had and make a go of it? Now is the time to evaluate where you want to be and how you want to get there. Let school be the road you take. The summer will still be there to great you when it is over.

Meaghan

In my senior year of high school I was severely depressed, abusing drugs and alcohol and myself. My transition to college was a geographically short one, and I did not stimulate any change in me. My first stab at college was at a small Christian college with incredibly rigorous courses. I didn't care about any of my classes because my depression had full control of me, though in high school I was a straight A student. If I could go back in time and tell my senior self the wisdom I have learned it would have been "do not go to school now. get help. you need to get help, get strong and confident and THEN you can go to school." After leaving my first school I have sought intense therapy to help me through the incredible amount of STUFF that I had to deal with before I could be a confident and motivated to not only handle but excell in college. Now, as a healthy(er) adult, I am a straight A student once again (save for a B+ in a math class). My education has multiplied my self confidence and happiness.

greggory

Everything you do this year counts. Simple things like volunteering, working at your part-time job and visiting your grandmother in the nursing home count towards shaping you into an adult headed towards your first year of college. Whether you are going to a local community college or a four year university try to remember that you are not alone. You have friends, family, teachers and counselors around that will be there to help guide and encourage you, if you ask. (Asking is the key) Don't pressure yourself or let others do it to you, if you cannot decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Go to college, take a class that has nothing to do with the major you have picked. Have fun, broaden your horizion and try to talk to people in class that you would have never spoken to in high school. Who knows you may meet your new best friend. So, right now in your senior year, step outside your comfort zone, volunteer, visit, talk to a new friend and remember, everything you do counts.

Patricia

I would tell myself as a high school senior: "Trisha, college will not be easy as high school. The number one skill that is crucial in surviving college is writing. If you can, take as many writing classes in high school as you can. If you have a problem with grammer, polish it now so that your papers are gold by the time you have a paper conference with your English professor. More importantly, I know you have problems with argumentative papers. Your best bet in scoring high in the SAT as well as succeeding in college is knowing how to write argumentative papers. The only way you can succeed in writing argumentative papers is to succeed in History, Science, and English. Though each subject is different in its own way, each require some form of argument to support your stances. Lastly, do not be afraid to ask questions. Though it is intimidating to ask questions, especially in high school, asking questions will only lead you one step closer to understanding the situation at hand, and even a step closer to getting a good grade. Furthermore, asking questions gives the teacher an idea things you dont understand."

College is nothing to fear, so don't over stress the next couple of months. The rest of high school is going to be a breeze, then once you're in and the hype calms down, college will become as natural as high school was. Also, push mom to get the taxes done on time so there won't be any trouble with FAFSA.

Arilyssa

If I was to go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself not to listen to what anyone had told me about what college was really like. I would tell myself that it's not as bad as people say it is, and it's a really great experience. I would also tell myself that nobody is ever prepared to attend college, and no student is ever ready for the transition from highschool to college. The best way to prepare yourself for college is to start being independent in highschool and rely less on your teachers for the help that they give. It's very important to start relyng on yourself and what you're capable in doing.

Mariesa

A community college is the way to go if you're trying to save money and get a good education. It also makes transfering a lot easier. Its also a chance to take courses in various subjects to see what you want to focus on in the future.

I would probably have done better in my classes and have taken harder classes. I would also have tried to gain better study habits. College is based on a few big grades and I didn't do as good as I could have because I don't know how to study. Also I learned to be more accepting of many types of people in college. You have to learn how to live with people and look past your differences.

Torrie

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus on deadlines and be sure to practice good attendance while I still have the opportunity to get used to it. I would make sure I planned on taking the S.A.Ts and advise myself to become more self reliant when dealing with papers and projects. The opportunity to speak to myself as senior in high school would allow me to say that no class is an "easy A" every class takes effort and attention and that it should not be taken lightly. I believe this option would better prepare many students my age or even older who may have made a few mistakes that weren't worth as much as they once thought. In the end the most important message I would relay to myself would be don't be afraid to ask for help or worry about studying because in the end it is my own future and dreams that it all comes down to.

Purvaja

There are many things that I would have advised myself about for the transition into college. Firstly, it would be to learn how to manage your time. Learning how to manage your time is the most important thing in college. Secondly, I would have advised myself about how to look into scholarships and apply for many of them. Money is a killer when it comes to college. It difficult to pay the amount of tuition and so you end up taking out a lot of loans whereas, you can reduce the amount of loan you take out by getting more and more scholarships. Lastly, I would have practiced some better studying habits either by myself or in groups. Studying is the key to success in college and there are many ways to go about it. Knowing the way you study best will help you when you reach in college. College is a huge transition from high school and these little, little things can help you to succeed.