Monroe, MI
Monroe County Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monroe County Community College

Alex

I could have relieved myself of much anxiety about college had I known how stress-free and comfortable an atmosphere and experience it would soon prove to be. Prior to admission, I felt slightly uncertain about my unforeseen road ahead but with the help, support , advice, encouragement and instruction I received from family, friends and various members of the college faculty, I made the transition with confidence and ease. I would have to say that the advice I should have given myself was "Just believe..." .

I was taught that bragging was an unbecoming trait but giving praise is a positive and acceptable behavior. All of my current friends attend MCCC so our conversations about the school and its faculty are very similar. The entire staff shows a genuine concern for each student's academic success. They're willingness & dediction are truly motivating and inspiring. They live their Mission Statement.

Brett

Many classmates are respectful, outgoing, responsible and courteous to others and allow others to help them if they are neede...

Many classmates are respectful, outgoing, responsible and courteous to others and allow others to help them if they are needed.

Knowing some information about college gives me a better understanding of what needs to be done. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to make a job out of looking for scholarships. Paying for college is the hardest part of college. I would also tell myself to keep up with my work and make sure I spend lots of time studying and asking questions. Asking questions is probably the most important part in college. Many professors will assume everyone knows everything they are saying if there are no questions asked. Also I would tell myself to not procrastinate and to get things done promptly.

Some teachers aren't very experienced and have to use trial and error to see which ways of teaching work best.

Advice I would give myself as a high school senior regarding transition and college life is that college is unlike any previous educational experience. College will not come as natural as the past. Unlike high school, professor?s teaching techniques presents a challenge because professors do not always teach and test out of the book. Extreme attention to lectures and the ability to take skilled notes is critical for reviewing and studying for exams. In college, you?re responsible to get notes and handouts from other students in your class. Professors will help you during their office hours if you have any questions. Ask questions because its easy to get behind if you are stuck. Do not hesitate because exams are close together and it would be easy to fail a test because you failed to ask questions. You need to work harder to earn good grades. Your education is your responsibility. A lot of work accompanies attending college, filling out applications, applying for scholarships, and class registration. It is important to register for classes early and finish scholarships early due to deadlines. Begin activity in community service and volunteer activities. Numerous scholarships ask for extracurricular activities outside of school.

I like the fact that the school is a smaller campus and is cheaper than a university to get my general education classes done. I say the smaller campus size because as a student I get more one-on-one time with the professor. I said it's cheaper because I live in a low income home and it's easier to get my education paid for, meaning I won't have to pay more money for the general education classes at a university when I can take the same classes at a community college for less money.

I wish I would have known how much more difficult college was than high school. I think it would have helped me transition better from high school to college. I say this because I was not prepared for the change of pace and how much more I needed to study in college than I did in high school. I thought the knowledge would come natural to me like in high school. I wish my high school could have offered college classes in the school classrooms so they could help prepare us more for college.

Melissa

If I could go back and give my self advice about college I would tell myself a few things. I would first tell myself to apply to the community college first because it?s the same education for half the price of a four year university. I would also tell myself to get involved in as many after school activities as the school offered, because it is a great way to meet new likeminded people. I would also tell myself that I should take more credits the first couple of semesters so I am not stressed out in my last semester.

If I could go back and give my self advice, I would tell my self to apply to more colleges, research about my options and look at which colleges accept the most transfer credits. I would also tell my self to take a step back and enjoy my last few months of high school, and to appreciate the friends I have.

The most frustrating thing about my high school was it was a smaller school and it did not provide a large verity of classes. It also did not offer a large verity of after school activities that were not sports.