Billings, MT
Montana State University-Billings

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Montana State University-Billings

Zoie

MSUB is a perfect balance between big and small.

MSUB is a perfect balance between big and small.

Students at MSUB are very outgoing.

If I could go back and give myself advice on college, the first thing I would say would be to be money smart. I would tell myself to start saving then, paying for at least part of school as you go. I did not do that until this past year, and am now stuck with a ton of debt, and on a future teachers salary in Montana, that is not going to be payed off very quickly. I would really emphasize the importance of saving money, and using it appropriately. Secondly, I would tell myself not to focus so much on writing down everything the teacher says; just write down key points in the lecture. Alot of information is lost when you are too bust writing all the information, you miss important things he/she is saying. Giving high schoolers the info I did not have is very important to ensure their success. I speak to high schoolers now, and explain to them how important it is to start planning now.

katelynn

I am now a college senior at Montana State University Billings and looking back on my experiences, there is advice that I wish I could have given to my high school self. During my freshman year in college, I was content with being “good enough” in my academics. I would be happy if I received a B, even happier if I received an A. I also had this academic point of view throughout my high school career. It was only during my sophomore year of college did I realize that I was capable of earning straight A’s. Since then, I have resiliently worked hard and have achieved straight A’s for the past three years. In subjects where I received B’s, more specifically during my college freshman year, I have decided to retake them in order to earn the highest grade I can. From this experience, I wish I could tell my high school self: “You are capable of more than you imagine; do not sell yourself short.” If I had this information my senior year, I would have approached college with more determination and confidence, achieving more in less time.

I find the worst thing about my school to be how there are some classes only offered once every two years and that there is only one professor for a course.

It all depends on what the person wants to do after college. If they want to be successful in life, they have to put in what they want out of their education.

My school has AACSB accreditation, various ethnicities, well-educated and established faculty, reasonable tuition costs, and a lot of different majors students can plan to graduate with.

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to not stress out about college, but take it seriously. Visit all of the college representatives who come and visit the high school. Take every opportunity to visit with all of the representatives and get a clearer view of what college is. Get to know them and let them help you through the college process. My number one advice to tell myself would be to save money now, get scholarships first, loans later, and get to know all of the faculty immediately. Scholarships do not need to be paid back and loans can become a difficult responsibility. If you want to have money, save it. Do not spend on extra things you do not need just because you have the money. Also, pay your loan while in college. This lowers the amount of interest you will end up paying. Lastly, I would tell myself to not be afraid of getting to know the professors. Faculty are there for you to help you succeed. Make friends with them and ask for recommendation letters. They are there for guidance when you need it.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the budget cuts it is going through because of low enrollment, which means most faculty are part-time rather than full-time employees.

Tamera

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, i would have told myself college is not scary and everyone can go. My parents did not go to college and therefor did not give me any advice or show any interest in steering me in college direction, because of this i thought only rich or really smart people were selected or got to go to college. I knew nothing about campus or the cool things you can do on campus, and it intimidated me so much that i was afraid to even go on campus. I would tell my younger self that college is my only option to really succeed in an adult life, choosing what i want to do and enjoying a job that i can choose.

For a small city, and a relatively small campus we have extremely great professors. Alot of our professors came from elsewhere and are genuinely interested in helping students , listening to students, and they are fun to be around!

The most frustrating thing about my school, is that there are so few classes and options to choose from. There are not enough options for graduate classes, and we recently had a budget cut so there will be even less options next year.

Chelsey

MSU Billings is unique because it is centered mostly in the city. We have an awesome location and everything is very accessible to students.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would be sure to emphasize how important it is to take classes in high school seriously. I did not take school seriously in high school at all, and when I got to college, I had to make serious adjustments and changes. I was so focused on doing well in athletics in high school that I let my education suffer because of it. When I received my scholarship to play volleyball for MSU Billings, I really needed to buckle down academically, because I wasn't just playing volleyball for the love of the game anymore. I was being paid to play in order to have my education paid for. I still really struggle with school, but I work hard and try my best to do as well as I can. College would have been a lot easier for me though if I had just taken the time to do the little things right in high school.

The best aspect of MSU Billings is how friendly every one is here. I grew up in Billings, and it was nice to come to a school where there are so many people from other countries and states attending! I've met so many amazing people over the last 4 years I have been here, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

David

My school is unique because of the small size. The size helps create a sense of community and friendliness.

If I could tell my high school self anything, I would say, "Don't waste any time or procrastinate. College is expensive; and you can't waste time or money while trying to meet such an important goal. Try your hardest in every class, and study more than you think you need to. If you put in more work, it will pay off. Don't get discouraged. Save up as much money as you can."

I wish I would have known how much money college actually costs. Even for a smaller, more affordable school like MSUB, I still have significant money to pay.

Lexie

I have noticed my school is best known for being open and complying to nontraditional students. I am a traditional student myself, but I really enjoy having diversity in my classrooms. There are much older students, mothers trying to do both school and parenting, and even disabled students who inspire me. I have become much more appreciative of the opportunities I once took for granted in my life that some nontraditional students did not have. Overcoming obstacles is a big part of life and I believe Montana State University Billings aids in helping students do so.

Montana State University Billings owes most of its standout education to the caring professors who teach so wisely and care so much. I transferred to Billings from a different Montana university and I feel much more comfortable in and outside my classrooms after making the switch. I truly believe the professors and every member of the staff share the same, unselfish purpose; to educate and help students to the best of their ability. I am always comfortable asking questions and sharing my thoughts, knowing I will be rewarded rather than mocked. My desire to learn has been greatly enhanced.

Change is a good thing. Many college students might say that high school was easy, but I believe high school was just as hard except just in a different way. College is a necessary adjustment that better prepares you for facing more obstacles outside of your comfort zone. High school seems like all there is to life when you are in it. The cliques and jocks make it hard for anyone to be different and still accepted. It's not so much that you belong to a category in college, but you belong to a family far greater than your high school ever was. Boyfriends, girlfriends, and even best friends may drift further apart as we go our separate ways. I have found that people who were meant to stay in your life will always make room. So keep pushing and keep thriving off of nobody but yourself. Find yourself, teach yourself, believe in yourself, and most importantly be yourself. The right people will come along and change your life without you even noticing. One day you will look back and realize you don't even know the person you were in high school.

Craig

My school is not huge or prestigious, but it is known for making a difference in our local community nonetheless. Programs whose goals are to get students involved in the Billings community have flourished during my time here, and every student is encouraged to do their part to make a positive change. We have students from all over the world attending school here, so students have the ability to spread the attitude of helpfulness and their desire to make a positive change not only across the state, but across the world. My school has a healthy environment that encourages growth.

Hey, Craig! It's me, you. I know this is a bit confusing, but bear with me for a bit. I have been sent from the future to tell you about this decision that you're making about where to go to college or even if you should go to college in the first place. Currently you are about to embark on a quest to make a lot of money. At least, that's what you hope it is a quest for. That's great; money leads to happiness, right? That's what I thought. And let me tell you, Craig, I was wrong. You will excel at what you do, and you will have a promising career begin to take shape. However, you will have a realization at some point. You will have a yearning deep inside of you for something more, for something that money cannot purchase. You will feel lost, and you might try to find your way by seeking even more money, but let me tell you, you will not find it this way. Do not waste your time worrying about finding the career that'll make you rich; instead focus on doing what you love.

I wish I had known more about what I would enjoy for a career rather than just what I would be good at. Initially when I went to this school I was focused on computer sciences because I was good at it. However, I soon realized that even though it was a promising career, I would most likely not be happy doing computer programming for the rest of my life, even if it provided a comfortable income. I have matured significantly during my time here and I wish I would have focused on my own happiness instead of money.

Abigail

This is your last year. You're a high school senior, and the time is slowly approaching for you to begin the journey to fulfill your dream. However, the journey will not be easy. I have seen what is up ahead and am here to tell you Never Give Up! You are about to embark on a long trek with several ups and downs before you come to your destination-graduating college. You will face circumstances and situations which you will ask yourself how you will overcome them? But just stay focused on the goal. Don’t slack off while in your senior year. Be the best that you can be. Study harder than hard. Demonstrate to the world that Yes you CAN make it. Take advantage of opportunities given to you, and DO NOT procrastinate! Take your time to study. College life is not a walk in the park; however, it will be glorious fun in the end. Keep in mind that even though you are on your own physically, there is someone greater always watching you. Don’t overburden yourself, but take it one step at a time. It’s the beginning of a brand new story.

Danielle

Knowing what I know now, advice that I would give myself is that college isn't as scary as it seemed. Also, that I should kick myself into gear and try harder in school. Also, that I shouldn't keep using work as an excuse for doing poorly in school. I'm working more hours now than I did in highschool and I am achieving a 4.0 gpa, which I thought would never be possible. I would also tell myself that taking a year off from school was the best thing I ever did because it gave me the focus and determination that I needed to make getting that 4.0 possible. Also, I want to make myself realize that it wasn't the teachers that caused me to get the grades that I got in high school, it was my attitude. I think that having the right attitude towards school is all it takes to be able to achieve the grades that I really wanted, but thought I didn't have the time for.

Montana State University-Billings administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.