Billings, MT
Montana State University-Billings

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Montana State University-Billings

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to talk to as many people I can and develop good relationships with all of my professors. After attending college for one semester, I have learned how important it is to constantly be talking to people and meet as many people as possible. This includes professors as well. After all, professors are some of the most important individuals that a person meets while in college. They are the ones that will provide you with the tools for success. Also, I would tell myself to study for every exam and every quiz. It is so important to do well on these, especially since quizzes and exams are usually the biggest part of your overall grade. To help you do well, it is important to not only do your homework, but to also understand your homework. Most college students tend to overlook their homework especially if it's not graded. This isn't the right idea! Always make sure you understand all your work to the fullest.

I wish that I had known the importance of studying every night. While in high school, tests and quizzes always seemed pretty easy to me. In college, however, they can be extremely difficult. After completing my first semester of college, I learned that it is absolutely so important to study every night and know the material that I will one day be tested on very well. Also, I learned that it's crucial to ask questions right away when I'm having trouble with a certain topic or problem.

A lot of people might say that the homework or exams are the worst part about school. Well, that's EVERY school and I don't necessarily dislike all the homework or tests. It tests my knowledge and tells me what I need to work on. For me, the one thing that I don't really like about school is going to classes all over campus while carrying a heavy backpack full of books, notebooks, etc. I wish that there was something that could take us from class to class or maybe allow students more time to pass between classes.

Wendy

I would tell myself that just because my parents cannot afford to send me to school, that that is no reason to sell myself short and not shoot for the stars. I have been talking myself out of going to college for many years and I would tell myself to just believe! I got a 4.0 my first semester with a full load, and I continue to do so moving forward. I would remind myself to work hard, believe in myself, positive self talk and JUST dream BIG!!

They do not offer the doctorate program I am going on for in Physical Therapy after I complete my masters in HHP.

The campus is small, friendly and a great mix of ages, etc. I am new to the Billings area and feel very much at home here, and not intimidated by being a non-traditional student.

Franklin

Go to the school of your dreams. I cannot stress that enough. Transferring from school to school is dangerous and expensive. Do not worry about the size of the school or how far away it is from home. You will be a lot happier if you go to your first choice school. I have attended two different colleges and I'm about to enroll in a third simply because I have not been happy at any one school. You will be completely satisfied at your first choice, I promise. You will spend way too much money transferring credits, requesting transcripts, applying for schools, and moving in and out of houses and apartments. Just go to your dream school and do not look back. Everyone will still be on your side.

Delanie

Montana State University Billings is a small university that does not consist of a good social aspect.

When I was in high school, all I wanted to do was get away from the small town I lived in. I only visited one school and I chose to go there, not really understanding what college was like. When I arrived I was disappointed. I hated the social scene, was bored and I didn't really like it. If I could go back, I very much would. I would tell myself to visit other schools, to try more things. I know now that just because you think you like one place, you may like another much more. I also would have to told myself to stay in-state instead of going out-of-state because it was so much cheaper. I'm glad that I left my home but I do miss it occasionally. When I was a senior, I should have been more open to opportunites that I had been given. Lastly, I would express that scholarships are more important than anything else. Once you see how much school actually is, you see where your money priorities lie. Sometimes you make decisions that will change your life and there's nothing else to do but keep on moving.

The cafeteria food is not very good. I would suggest getting the smallest meal plan or not get a meal plan. I also think the dorms are poor

Marcie

Expect the unexpected, dream big, roll with the punches. Tried and true cliches that come all too easily to mind, mostly because they're true. They're true because the pattern of life doesn't differ that much from one individual to another. We share more of the same experiences than not. Life will hit us with the unexpected, we will dream big and have those dreams pummeled down by the mighty punch that is circumstance. Life wares on what was; grinding us down to a lack luster sheen of uniformity. How do we lose our initial spark of luminosity? We forget. We forget why our dreams are important. We forget what motivates us. We forget that we are individual, unique, special. I would say to my high school self, "Don't forget." Remember your strengths and weaknesses. Know what you are capable of and don't falter from that truth. Allow yourself to fail in pursuit of your dreams. Remember your successes and failures and respect how they have crafted who you are. Shine as brightly as that first time you realized you could, and remember that you always can.

Dailyn

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself a lot of advice. The first thing I would say is to always keep your options open. Just because you have one career plan doesn't mean it will work out. Always have other ideas in mind in case something goes wrong. Another thing I would tell myself is that I need to work hard to achieve my goals. If you don't work hard, you will blend in with the crowd. People need to know what you are capable of and if you don't put in the effort, you're not going to get anywhere.

The worst thing about my school is that it's not as big as other schools.

Katherine

MSU-B is a schpool of academics and excellence and excellence is what they help the students achieve, with support, resources and courtesy.

I would tell myself that high school is not reality. I walked the halls of my high school hating myself for not being pretty or popular. When I came to MSU-B my whole world changed. I was accepted. People were incredibly sincere and helpful. They were a specices I did not know exsisted. In high school you walk the halls and see the same people everyday. In college you choose to be around the people who make you feel like you are worthy. I would tell myself to keep my head up and stay strong. College has opened my eyes to the good in the world. High school was brutal, you felt like you were worth nothing, and at MSU-B no one has made me think that. I would say that in life we get all kinds of advice and I need to start listening to it. If I would have actually listened to the words "high school isn't everything" I might have had a better time. I would end with telling myself I can't fix everything. I was always so worried about how I would survive, all I needed was to belive in myself.

I wish I would have taken a break, not because of this school but because college is hard. I went straight out of high school to taking summer college courses. I should have waited to start school and lived a little.

Jeremy

Montana State University Billings, though often overlooked for not being a "party school", offers some great experiences through the personable teachers and social learning environments that comes from the attitude and personality that Montana instills in those living and experiencing it.

Montana State Univeristy Billings specializes in many great programs such as nursing, education, pyschology and history, but as a wildlife biology major what truly stands out to me is the diversity of outdoor places readily availible. Smack in the middle of the Yellowstone River Valley, in just an hour you can find yourself hiking the Beartooth Mountains, fishing one of the great reservoirs , wandering about the mystical Pryor Mountains or exploring the nearby praires and sandstone bluffs. Easy access to these places opens up an endless amount of oppurtunities to perform research and delve into Montanas complex ecosystems.

Jeremy, it is your senior year, the time of your life, and I have some advice, to help answer that big question. What are you going to do with your life? First off, NEVER stop asking that question, for you will be asking and slowly answering it for the rest of your life. Right now your mind is flooded with extrapolations of the future, all of which branch from the same beginning, where to go to college. You have been asking for advice, from your mom and dad to Mr. Miller, and all it has done is make it harder for you to decide. But I have got an answer for you, one that sparked interest in Mr. Miller's eyes. No matter what decision in life you make, whether deciding which college to attend, which job to take or which activity to do, the only thing that can make it enjoyable and memorable, is you. You alone make something fun; you alone get the best out of your life. Whether attending Harvard or jumping into a career, you must trust in yourself that you will make the best of it, for that is all you can ever hope for.

victoria

If I was given the opportunity to talk with high school self knowing what I know now I would advise myself to do what I can education wise to set myself up in order to attend college. My college future was uncertain, my parents did not seem to care if I went to school or not. However, if I could go back in time I would tell myself despite my home life struggles to work hard take the SAT, enroll in college, and apply for scholarships. I learned the hard way, I lived on my own and had a child. However, this was a blessing since I was able to attend college, whereas before I was unable to since my parents were unwilling in helping me apply for financial aid. College is important not only for yourself but for your family as well in order to ensure a brighter future. I would give these words of wisdom to myself and advice, that no matter what adversities are set in front of you whether it be family or life, you must keep going and not let these things get in the way of you reaching your highest potential.

Montana State University-Billings administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.