Billings, MT
Montana State University-Billings

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Montana State University-Billings

Kristen

I will be attending online and have not yet met my classmates. My semester will start on September 4th, 2013.

If I were to go back in time and meet myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to take my time in life and not get in a hurry to do anything. Focus on completing school and looking toward my future. I would also that I start school at my local college rather than attempting to go so far from home right out of high school as attending the school that I did in the Chicago area where the pollution was high caused me to be sick so much of the time. I had to leave after the first semester because of these health issues and was then discouraged. I felt that I had failed even though I received good grades and did complete the semester, however, I did not start again right away and the opportunity to return to school did not come to me again until many years later. I would remind myself that life is short and that it is my life to choose what I desire for my future.

I believe that anyone who is wanting to further their education should attend Montana State University - Billings. I attended this college at one time previously and have been very pleased with the results, unfortunately, I relocated to Helena, Montana in the middle of the year and my life took some unexpected turns and I was unable to continue my schooling at that time.

Erika

Even though it's a smaller community college, it has a variety of different major options, and has a friendly learning environment, overall.

Don't worry about what other people think of you, you will not always get picked on and made fun of. In the future, you will find that furthering your education is not only fun and interesting, but a very mature and responsible thing to do. Just because you're not the brightest student with one of the highest GPAs doesn't mean that you won't get through it successfully, even though it may take you a little longer than others to grasp the knowledge coming to you. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Anyone who is striving to get a full, well-rounded education should attend this school.

Mollie

My school is best known for the education program. They have a high hire rate straight out of college and scored a perfect on the NCATE review. As this is my field of study, it makes my preparation for a career very thorough and highly regarded.

As a senior in high school, I often worried about how my life would change. The transition itself from high school to college was almost seamless when it occurred. Surprisingly, the topics that most worried me seemed so minor when they actually happened. I wish I had known that I could adjust. I wish I had understood that I had prepared myself for life’s next step. I wish I had known that life happens the way it’s supposed to, regardless of my anxiety. I wish I had realized that the challenges and obstacles I had overcome in high school were the very ones that helped me face college with an open mind. Could I go back in time and talk to myself then, I would have reassured myself that hard work pays off and life will work out regardless of worries and stressing over the little things, so relax and enjoy the ride.

The campus is gorgeous and full of nice people. Something that always comes up that really has nothing to do with me but is still nice, is that the semesters are short. We go to class slightly longer and get longer breaks between semesters because of it. I think it's a fair trade.

Cassidy

Throughout my first year of college, I spent minimal time actually reading the material and using textbooks and other resources. This is also how I went all the way through high school. I graduated high school with good grades and my first year of college I ended with good grades as well. However, throughout my second year of college, I started using more rescources and spending more time in my textbooks and other materials. I put in much more time and effort toward my studies. I still ended with good grades, but found a distinct difference in my level of stress, confidence, and overall learning experience. I noticed that I was confident in my knowledge and I didn't have to spend study time cramming for tests because I was actually soaking in the information. My advice would be to take the time and study and read the material given to me. This advice had been given to me for years and years, but since I was always still able to get good grades, I never really took it to heart. Once I experienced the difference for myself I realized how much easier school could have been in the past.

So far, I have had a very good experience at my school. One of my few dislikes is that there is a schoolwide website called D2L, which some professors use and others don't. While this site is extremely helpful and easy to navigate it causes confusion when only some professors use it. The majority of my professors are reachable through D2L, which is very convenient. Those who do not use D2L are harder to reach and communicate with outside of class. If everyone used the same system and was on the same page, this would improve convenience and organization.

Someone searching for a really large school souldn't attend Montana State University Billings. However, it is a very diverse school in terms of students who attend. There is a large number of non-traditional students as well as traditional. This provides a mixture of people with many different experiences and aspects to bring to the table. There are also many different people with different races and cultures. It's easy for people to be accepted socially and with such a variety of people, it's not difficult to find somewhere to fit in, regardless of age, race, or personality.

Kelly

There is so much I would try to explain and convince 18 year old Kelly of if I had the chance to talk to her with the knowledge I’ve gained through my college experiences. Most importantly, I would want to convince her that time flies, and she needs to focus on the big picture and her future. Also, she shouldn’t sweat the small stuff. She has way too much potential for that type of negativity. Another big one, would be to focus on her education. Go to class every day. Do the homework. Get the grades. Apply for scholarships. I would tell her it's important to find joy in learning and to learn from her colleagues’ experiences. And for goodness sake, master Spanish, and study abroad! No one ever regrets doing it, but I sure regret not doing it. Also, don’t bring too much stuff from home. You don’t like half those clothes anyways. Lastly, it’s important to know the decisions made during these years will shape the rest of your life. It’s very important to stay focused and take care of your whole self. Like Dad always said: Mind. Body. And Soul.

Celena

If I could say anything to my high school senior self, I would want to reassure her that college is not as scary as it may seem from an outsider’s perspective. No it does not mean the classes are necessarily easy, but they are not impossible either. At first glance when you see all the work you will have to face ahead of you, it may feel intimidating, and you wish you wouldn’t have to do it all. The math assignments, the essays, and the speech presentations; just the thought of it makes you distressed, but at the same time you want to make the most of your education, and you can only make the most through hard work. As you tackle each problem, you can look behind and feel a sense of accomplishment as you see all the tasks you conquered, the tasks you once thought were impossible. And then you can look ahead and see the fruit of your labor, be it a college degree, a job, or even a greater opportunity for the next step in your life. No matter what, just don't give up.

Kiela

My best advice I would give myself would be to breathe. Too many times I have found myself in a pile of books, papers, tests and stress. Each and every time I have learned something: life goes on. Stressing everything is just going to bog someone down. I wish I could go back in time to tell myself this because that one simple task of taking a deep breath has gotten me further than I could ever imagine as a senior! Taking a breath allows you to clear your mind, and sort through the mess of homework. The human brain cannot function without oxygen! I feel like I could have been just a few steps further, a few pounds lighter, and a few gray hairs less (yes, even at twenty!) had I known to inhale… and exhale.

I believe any person should attend this school! My last school was a smaller college that welcomed adults that were later in age and I thought it was amazing! Seeing older adults that wanted to learn more was just outstanding to me! I had an 89 year old in my anatomy and physiology class! I wish more people could experience and see that there is not a limit to learning! A dedicated person with the urge to learn is definitely someone that should attend any school!

Although I have not began attending this college, I have noticed that the most frustrating thing is the parking! The school does not have nearly enough parking spaces to accommodate for the amount of student that attend the school! Surrounding the school is houses and residential parking only. When I moved to Billings from Helena I had to find a house close to the school because of this issue!

Bryana

Montana State University-Billings strongley focuses on achieveing one's goals.

Montana State University-Billings strongley focuses on achieveing one's goals.

Montana State University offer a health and human performance degree.

The first thing that I would tell myself as a high school senior is to pick a bachelors degree that can be more applicable after graduation rather then a general degree. I would also tell myself to be more involved in applying for more scholarships. Another main point that I would tell myself is take more ap classes in high school. Although, the main point that I would say if I could go back is to enjoy friends and family while you are still there becuase time flies when you are away.

Rachael

I wish I had known more about financial aid and the billing situations.

I wish I had known more about financial aid and the billing situations.

I would not recomend this school to anyone who is not a serious student and just wants to party. Students looking for a large campus with a lot of students is not what Billings has to offer either.

Eric

My classmates are very energetic, hardworking, positive, and determined people attending college to further their futures beyond the potential that a high school diploma presents, and happy to be doing so.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would immediately give myself this sage advice: procrastination will not work in college like it did in high school. The day to day work may be less common, but the daunting large assignments and projects will stack up if not handled in an efficient manner. A day planner, as well as a well thought out work schedule is essential to success in college. As long as one stays on track with the classwork, success is not a strenuous task, but if one falls behind it can become next to impossible. Second, I would advise myself to make friendships with my classmates, as they can be a more accessible resource than the professor if you need help with the class material. This also provides you with a potential study partner, and invaluable element to the college experience. Third, I would tell myself to become well acquainted with my professors, as a good relationship with them makes them more approachable, and allows them to better understand you and the unique problems you may have over the course of the class.

I consider the lack of a strong social aspect to be a downfall of the school. We do have clubs and organizations, but I feel the in-class work is very independent. If we did more group activity at the school, I believe that it would be very beneficial for all students, both struggling and exceeding. The struggling students would be able to receive help from exceeding students, and the latter would further learn the material as they teach it to the others. A more active approach to group activity would be a worthwhile addition to my school.

Montana State University-Billings administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.