Billings, MT
Montana State University-Billings

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Montana State University-Billings

Dear Self, Ahhhh, there is so much I could tell you about college life, but let's begin with the basics. The first thing you must do is go see an advisor! Do not try to "wing it" and take courses randomly! It is also vital that you go to the Career Services Center. They will help you narrow down your skills, gifts, and job fields that fit these giftings. Spend time on the government website for the Occupatioinal Outlook Handbook to get a glimpse of job opportunities, wages, and necessary education required for the career path you are considering. In other words, do your homework (before the real homework begins)! Keep your eyes focused on the goal and take advantage of the resources offered by the college. If you are struggling, use the tutors! Lastly, don't be afraid to speak up in class. Ask questions and offer your opinion. You matter and learning is an interactive process! You can do it!

Montana State University in Billings truly makes higher education accessible to all. You will not find a stereotypical student there, but will find an array of ethnic backgrounds and beliefs. It's surprising to find this to be true in Montana of all places, but it is. If an individual has a desire for a degree, MSUB provides guidance and excellent staff to help pave the way to a degree.

Only the type of person who prefers to sow their wild oats and doesn't truly desire to acquire an education in order to better their career opportunities shouldn't attend Montana State University in Billings. With a wide array of classes and ample guidance available, it is difficult to imagine anyone who couldn't succeed. Set a goal, add a smattering of dedication as well as hard work and watch the classes add up on the transcript!

Corina

Take the SAT test more than once. Try to achieve the highest possible scores to help for future scholarships. Don't stress as much as I did about the transition from high school to college. It is different but not as hard to adapt to as I thought it would be. All of the hard work in high school really does pay off in college.

The weather can be cold and if you're not used to it, it takes some adjustment.

A student who prefers a smaller classroom size and more one on one interaction.

Alexander

The uniqe thing about this school is the staff. I went to school in California and the staff there were incredibly rude, and rushed they never really appeared as iff they cared about the problems, it was just from one thing to the next for them. At this school the staff are here to teach, and help students in any way they can. Along with this there are many foreign exchange students and the staff and students are very accepting of them. Living in the dorms everyone encorporates each other in activities no one is left out.

First that high school is high school leave the bad stuff behind because college is a new begining and it is a great begining. Secondly to start actually studying for classes and to put in effort in every class more than what is needed just to get by. The classes here are on a different level and better study habits would make life a little easier. Take as many course's as possible and more general education requirements for degrees not just firefighting classes because you will have to take them no matter what. Also to follow my dreams of being able to study abroad and take Spanish classes while in California where I would be able to speak Spanish a little more easily and not trying to learn it in a state where there are not as many Spanish speakers. There are many things to worry about while going to school, but going to a dream school should never be one of them even if it costs more than I want to spend. The experience I have recieved and am recieving is worth every penny that I have spent to get to this point.

Any type of person can attend this school. The varity of courses avaible is impressive and again the teachers are invested in what they are teaching. The level of competence between the teachers here and the teachers in California are incredible. Montana is pretty accepting of all people and the school is the same, they want as many people to feel at home as possible and they accomplish that incredible well if you are living on the dorms, and even if you are not. If you want to study abroad they also have a great program.

Mitzi

Montana State University Billings has a long track record of fostering continued education like no other college through its three campuses spread throughout the city and the dedication of the faculty.

Montana State University Billings is a college that is centered around student learning. There is much civic engagement and community enhancement through the University. The faculty is encouraging and supportive. There is a vareity of culture, services, althetic and education activities.

Stick with your continued education, don't wait to go to college. Your college education is such a valueable piece of your life. Without your education you won't find a good job, you'll have to work more than two jobs and waste valueable time that you could be spending with your children. Don't be a fool, go to college.

In high school I was a hard worker, but I would tell myself to work even harder. I believe I should have spend those extra five minutes studying, instead of saying it does not matter. I would tell myself to save the chit chatting for later; to get all my work done to the best of my ability. Another thing I would tell myself is to be more enthusiastic about school. I think I should have had a better homework ethic. What you do in high school greatly affects how you are in college. If you were that student that worked hard to get their work done, but not right from the start, then that's how you are going to be in college. Yes, in high school, that's what I did. Today I am struggling to get a good method down to doing my homework the best I can and as soon as I can, and it is hard to change an old habit.

I think the people who are serious about bettering themselves should attend this college. Students who want to start a career or further their current career are the best options to be here, or at any school. Universities are for learning, not just having fun and being with friends.

Do NOT just go to school because that's "what you're supposed to do." If you don't feel ready, then don't go. Your parents will understand. Don't think going to a community college first makes you less smart than everyone. Whatever you do, DO NOT major in Chemistry!! That will be the worst decision you could ever make and you will lose so much time in your college life by doing that. You need to sit down, make a clear plan of what you want to do and start at the beginning. Work hard! College is not like high school and you can't just do the bare minimum and expect good grades! Take deep breaths, slow yourself down, you need to go at your own pace, not anyone else's. Don't overexert yourself and be okay with taking time to have fun! If you follow all this, you'll do just fine and have a wonderful college experience. Also, that guy in class isn't worth your time. He's kind of dumb and it'll just take your focus away for awhile, just ignore him! Keep your head up! You're awesome!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to take my education and future seriously, and to apply for scholarships even if I'm not positive of what I want to go to school for. I would urge my younger self to strive to do the best work possible, and to know that the decisions I make now, will affect my future in ways I would never expect. I would reassure myself that I am smart and capable, and that I can and will make a difference in the world even if I don't know how it will happen yet. I would let my self know that I can and will go to college, and that I will be a 4.0 student with high ambitions and an equally paralleled drive for success. The most important thing I would tell myself, is that my passion for helping others will become a lifelong pursuit that includes the research and development of better psychiatric medicine and lobying for better resources for the mentally ill, but it all starts with my education and decisions.

Kelsey

I would advise myself to set a limit on the amount of money I use to eat out, spend on clothes, and other activities. It is important to have enough money for fun while attending college, but it is also important to save money for important college aspects. I would advise myself to work as hard as I possibly could during the summer in order to have enough money to pay for college. You’re supposed to have the time of your life during college; it is hard when you have no money to have fun. It is important to save money all the time!

I pretty much knew everything I needed to know before I came to school in Billings. I really enjoy this campus and everything it has to offer.

A lot of the activities that go on around campus are rarely advertised for students who live off campus. I would like to be more involved with activities that go on around campus.

Amie

Montana State University Billings is a friendly enviroment where students can enjoy their college experience while obtaining a degree. The staff is very helpful and there are several opportunities for students seeking aid. The small campus creates a sense of community and easy access to classes and professors. Montana State University Billings does a wonderful job of making their students feel welcome and comfortable while they attend school.

As a high school senior, I took extremely difficult classes while participating in meetings for planning prom, pep band at the high school sports, and volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters. I was extremely stressed. The lack of sleep and stress had finally pushed my body too far by the begining of May. I have multiple sclerosis, and at the end of April I had a relapse and lost all the feeling on the right half of my body. Sadly, this occured at the same time as the Advanced Placement tests for all the difficult classes I was taking at the time. I had lost my ability to write and I had a minimum of three essays for each of the several Advanced Placement tests. I was unable to take the tests and therefore the classes seemed rather pointless. If I could go back in time and tell myself that I would not be able to take the tests that would have allowed for college credit, I think I would have been much more stress-free and relaxed. My advice would have been to take the classes, but to take more time to enjoy my last year of high school.

The worst parts of Montana State University Billings are very common and expected. First, the wifi for the dorm rooms is slow and inconvenient. When I need to use my internet to do research for a class, I feel like I am in a constant fight with the connection to the internet. There is one thing that I consider worse than minor technology difficulties, and that is the overall cost of college itself. It takes years of saving money and working to pay for a single year of education. Any scholarship aid would be greatly appreciated.

Katie

MSUB is committed to student achievement, and they have good food!

MSUB is committed to student achievement, and they have good food!

Montana is suppose to be full or cowboys and cowgirls riding their horses to school. I haven't been around too many parts of this western state yet, but I do know that at Montana State University-Billings, I haven't seen one horse on campus. That might be due to the closeness of all the colleges on campus. All the buildings of the university are in easy walking distance from one another. It's impossible to get lost on campus and really convenient when classes are back to back.

Senior years starts. The next day is Christmas Break. Then it's graduation time. That's really how fast the last year of high school flies by. During the year, I really was preparing for college. I was predicting all the fashion trends that would come in the fall. I "college-ized" my Facebook profile by getting rid of all the stupid high school pictures. I saved up the money to purchase the perfect college cell phone, the iPone. Then, all of a sudden, it was time for college. The first day I wore the perfect outfit that mixed the right amount of sophistication with fun, but I had no notebooks. I had no pens or pencils. I didn't have a planner. I didn't have my financial aid turned in. Even though I looked ready, I was NOT ready! When the time machine is finally invented, I'll be making my trip to the second semester of high shcool, and I'll get ready for college for real. In college, no one cares what you wear, or spends time looking through Facebook photos. The best friends I've made in college are the ones i met wearing sweatpants.

Montana State University-Billings administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.