Montclair State University

« See more reviews of Montclair State University

Montclair has a wonderful student population. It represents a very diverse amount of backgrounds, ethnicities, religious and sexual orientations, and interests. From my experience, students are very accepting and welcoming others and I really can't see any student feeling like they don't belong. This past year, the student body came together in a Rally for Unity in support of the LGBT community after a threat against them was written in the Student Center, posting slogans everywhere on campus that read "Hate is not an MSU Value." There are so many students that it is easy to find others with similar interests and make strong friendships. I have really enjoyed learning more about different religions, different countries, and different political views from other students and it has really enriched my college experience. Students naturally gravitate towards others with similar interests and backgrounds but standing in Sam's Place, the new dining hall on campus, you would see all different kinds of people sitting, chatting, and eating with each other. Though most of the student body is from New Jersey (97%), there is no lack in diversity and acceptance for others. Montclair is truly a melting pot of different people.

Overall, the students are accepting of different racial and ethnic backgrounds. There is a unity between the religious groups on campus. The LGBT community is accepted by the students as well. I do not believe that any student would feel out of place at this school. What most female students wear to class is a pair of jeans, a nice top, and accessories. What most males wear to class are work out clothes. I notice that different students interact around campus and that there are not a lot of prejudice people. There are some cliques on campus for the most part, but the students are still respectful of others. Most of the students are from Montclair and Clifton, New Jersey. There are some students that commute from New York City and there are some international students from China, Korea, and Japan. The high class is most prevalent at Montclair State University.

The fact that Montclair State University is such a diverse environment makes it easy for me to feel comfortable. My fellow students and I come from such different backgrounds that it makes class dicussions a great deal more interesting than if we originated from the same areas, due to the fact that different cultures have different opinions and views on certain topics. We became fast friends and were able to form strong bonds that ultimately helped us out during exam periods and study sessions.

It's always tough meeting new people, especially when you're in an atmosphere like your freshman year of college. Everyone is in the same boat as you, which you tend to overlook, and because of this it's actually very very easy to make friends. My first day at Montclair I met two of my best friends by walking into their open room and saying hi. Everyone's doors are open, people are visiting and introducing each other left and right. It's a very friendly atmosphere.

Ecclectic artists who see the world as the soul of the people living in it. Sporty classmates who play with spirit on their sleeves and passion on their back and in their head. Musicians who play for the world , but bring messages through notes and beats. They sing with everything in their hearts. My classmates make me the person I am because I admire every single one of them for their passion and dedication they bring to their majors.

The people at Montclair State stay in clicks and do not venture far outside of them. In general there are alot of wealthy people at the school. A majority of the students are very young. Then, you have alot of older people going back to school, veterans, and etc. Don't be fooled. Montclair is trying to expand. They will accept anyone.

The friends that I have made and the people with whom I attend school are nothing short of amazing; I can't believe it I hadn't chosen MSU, all of the life-lessons that I would not have been taught by then and the wisdom that I would not have gained from being around these intelligent and well-rounded students, young and old.

The policy here is one of no tolerance. There are various religious and LGBT organizations on campus and issues have arisen between the community and some of these groups and reasonable actions have been taken. Mainly students wear informal clothes, except for what I can guess are certain business classes.

My classmates are friendly and open-minded. They have very different backgrounds in theatre and work well to incorporate the ideas of other students for group projects. THey are very open to different people outside of the classroom which makes living together interesting and fun.

The students at Montclair State University are well-rounded, well-grounded, and dedicated to academic achievement; furthermore, the classmates are friendly and enjoy making new friends and participating in safe activities that promote both a healthy and active lifestyle.