Montclair State University

« See more reviews of Montclair State University

The worst thing about my school is by far the communication between departments. Coming from a small school, I expected everything to run in a similar manner, however, given that there are many more departments within a university, miscommunication between them can be quite prevalent. It takes a great amount of patience and perseverance to deal with, as well as adjusting to the system of the university. Understanding that merely calling or emailing will not always give you the answer you desire is key. Building the skill to pursue your needs actively is necessary and will benefit your success.

The absolute worst thing about Montclair State is the campus food. Unfortunately, there are plenty of unhealthy choices to make, and no where near enough healthy choices. Gaining the “freshman 30” instead of the “freshman 15,” believe me when I tell you that it is in your best interest to stick to whole wheat bagels and hard boiled eggs. There definitely needs to be a change within the dining services. There are too many temptations to eat poorly, and obesity is already a growing problem in America. If you plan to attend MSU, please be conscious of your health.

The social life. If you are not apart of a frat or anything like that it is extremly difficult to make friends because there are no social events for everyone. It is very dissapointing because the school has so much to offer but does nothing about it. Another example is over the weekends everyone who lives there goes home and we have New York city less then ten minutes away from our school and have our own two train stations however the trains do not run on the weekends. There are alot of social difficulties at MSU especially for commuters.

I believe that the worst thing about my schools is the inability to travel or remain active on the weekends. With the population being roughly 90% commuters, there are not many options left for on-campus residents. On the weekends, trains do not run, many students are not permited parking passes, and campus shuttles do not run as frequently as they should. Many food facilities are limited to weekday use and do not leave many options at all for the seemingly "stranded" residential student body.

The quality of on campus living, the dorms did not have hot water for nearly 2 months, the air conditioning didn't work, and I was paying extra for it. And in turn the heat would be blasting to the point where you would be so stuffy and it would get people sick. Also the value of the on campus amenities. The amount of money we pay for our dorms/meal plans is not worth the return. Our food was never really any good, and the people who worked the counters were always rude and unhappy.

Construction. While new additions to buildings are great, the mess and clutter it involves is not. Especially for new students, getting to know the campus is difficult when it is constantly changing. Sometimes the renovations are simple, but when they are significant just as adding a wing to a building, the horizon's appearance changes. The best way to learn a school is to see it totally stripped down. Seeing MSU that way doesn't come easy. It's always expanding.

Lately, I feel that I no longer feel as safe as I used to. There are too many empty and hidden parking lots on campus that make me feel uncomfortable. I started to realize that the campus police have started to stay in the parking lots at night, but it is not consistent. As of last semester, a girl was attacked on campus. As a female who walks alone at night, I feel more unsafe than ever. I wish that the school would be more active about the safety on school.

I believe that the worst thing about Montclair State University would have to be that it is not in a town that is easily accessable. There are many colleges out there that are in a town that students can walk to whereas Montclair you need a bus. If it was in an accessable town i believe it might give students a little more freedom while also maybe helping them to become more independant, like having to shop on their own and manage money.

The worst thing about my school is the trouble of signing up for classes. I feel like they never have enough spaces for the students who want to get into a class to fulfill a requirement. I worry that these struggles will prevent me from finishing all my classes by the end of my senior year. I do like that the classes are decently small, but I feel that this causes me to have a lesser chance of getting into a class I need.

There are several things that are "horrible" about Montclair but if i had to pick one single thing it would be the size . It has become too large for itself and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any help from the staff when it comes to money, credits, or other questions. Since it is a state school, no one will ever admit that it is their job and you are sent from office to office, much like dealing with the DMV.