Montclair State University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Alyssa

there are no real stereotypes present on campus that i am aware of

Christelle

I have no idea what the stereotype is. Whatever comes with the liberal arts territory I suppose.

Meghan

As a large public university, Montclair has a very diverse student body, representing all 21 NJ counties, 30 states, and 85 foreign countries. There are about 18,500 students, both graduate and undergraduate. In Spring of 2010, of 13,130 undergrad students, about 97{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} were from New Jersey, 61{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} were female, and 58{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} were white. There is a strong respect for and appreciate of diversity, so I would say there is not really one specific stereotype for Montclair students. This past year, students came together in a rally to support the LGBT community on campus. There are definitely party-goers, fraternity and sorority kids (about 4{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body participates in Greek life, ~700 students), geeks... etc. There are various living communities you can be a part of if you live on campus, including Honors, Arts, Science and Math, Men's Special Interest, Women's Special Interest, Language Immersion, Global, Business, Emerging Leaders, LGBT, and more. Many of the students are also involved in clubs on campus, which include groups based on background or ethnicity, religious and sexual orientation, sports activites, gaming, academic subjects, etc. The biggest stereotype about Montclair students that I can think of is that a lot of them either commute or go home on the weekends. This is what people refer to as a "suitcase" school. Since the addition of two new residence hall complexes this past fall (2011) called the Heights, about 5,000 students live on campus, or about 27{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. The campus does get pretty quiet and empty on the weekends, and there are not as many activities going on as there are during the week. However, Montclair's location makes it very easy to get off campus on the weekends and go to into downtown, or the mall, or even the city for not a lot of money and without needing a car.

Christopher

There is no steriotype really. There is a mix of everyone. Honestly when Montclair said that it was diverse I honestly believe that.

Daniel

There are some stereotypes in college that follows from the high school era of someone's life. There is the athletes, the stones, and the popular groups. In college, some groups form into the Frats group. But this is what of the college culture norm of what college is suppose to have.

Ana

There is a stereotype that MSU students are geeks. That is not true but we are a very loving accepting community. WE accept all people and we are not boring by any means. We have many organizations and events that make us so diversity.

Ben

One of the first things a person notices at Montclair State is the enormous amount of diversity represented by the population. When one thinks of some stereotypes race is perhaps the first thing that comes to mind. Classic racial stereotypes exist as well as prejudice towards the kids with liberal 1960-like attitudes who take part in activities pertaining to marijuana. Of course, we have the smart kids who are perfect with grades and do NOTHING except study. We also have the greeks who tend to drink a lot. We have it all here at Montclair which is great. Different races, attitudes, and activities spawn many stereotypes that are inaccurate, but also provide an environment for a wide range of different types of people.

Matthew

I feel like MSU has all types of people. There are the frat kids, the druggies, the nerds, the sports players, but there are just your average normal people.

Christina

Most people who have visited MSU find it to be fun and interesting to say the least. Although it is a fun school the academic programs and opportunities offered are just as great. The campus is about 8 miles from New York so there is a lot to do. The campus has a lot of commuters but lately the amount of on campus students has increased and it is becoming more of a residence school which is more fun!

Eunice

The students at Montclair State University are well-rounded, intelligent, and open-minded individuals.

Thomas

Although I am sure they exist, I am not currently aware of any stereotypes of the students at Montclair.

Ryan

The stereotype at MSU is that it is very easy to get into and that a lot of students here are stupid.