Montgomery College Top Questions

Isaac

The very first advise I would give myself is that communcation is the most important thing during college life. After high school, there will not be anyone keeping an eye on you anymore and answering your quesiton when there is one. However, you will have to take your own time finding the right person to go to and discuss your quesiton to people around you, and do not hesitate from asking question.

Malik

I would tell the high school senior version of myself to realize how important it is to be able to afford college. In high school I did not apply to any scholarships, I was under a false presumption, that my family is struggling so I will recieve a great amount of financial aid; and that is not true. I would tell myself to spend more time thinking about funding your college career, rather than worrying more about where I would start your college career. High school seniors usually focus on enjoying senior year; it’s their last time to be with all their childhood friends and have fun. However, if I did worry more about scholarships and grants, I might’ve been in a different position currently. I would tell the high school me; have fun, enjoy your last year of high school, but please think about how you will pay for college, and how to make that easier for the future.

Vito

Hey it’s you from the future, here to give you some advice about making the transition into Montgomery Community College. First of all feel out all the clubs and activities that you like, but only chose at most two because your grades will suffer if you dedicate yourself to too many activates. Signing up for 8am classes is fine as long as they’re gen-ed classes because you’ll find yourself struggling to keep up with harder classes that early, you know how you are unfocused too early in the morning. That procrastination habit was cute in high school where you could just breeze past most of your assignments, but PLAN OUT EVERTHING AND READ AHEAD!!!!! Leave a half hour early before your first class just in cases there is unforeseen traffic. Most importantly, sign up for all your classes as early as possible to get the best possible schedule and professors. You are the only thing that can stop you from being successful in college, not your professors, not your parents, not other students, not your friends.

Funke

If I could go back to high school and be a senior again I would tell myself to actually take a few college courses at Montgomery College prior to my graduating high school. I would not have wasted my time taking honors courses in high school since in actuality they really did not benefit me in college. I would also tell myself not to work as many hours as I did being I missed a lot of my high school activities due to having to work so I could save for college. While my mates were enjoying senior year I was working many hours and did not get to fully enjoy my final high school experience. High school was great honestly but a do over would be even better.

Imani

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that it is not too late to prove that you can be successful no matter how difficult it may be. When I was a senior in high school, I was in the IB Program. The pressure of the program got to me and I gave up. I went from having over a 3.0 to having a solid 2.0. I felt like I was not prepared for the difficulty of the program, and as a result, I did not get into my first choice, Towson University. Now that I have some knowledge about college life and making the transition, I would also tell my former self that it is not too late to change your mindset and nothing is impossible; success is right around the corner for you.

Daenna Marie

High school is often said to be the "golden years" but it wasn't as golden as it could be for me. If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to do better and to ask for help. I spent months feeling sorry for myself because of my grades. If I had took high school more seriously, I would be exploring and growing elsewhere. I see high school students saying how much they hate living where they are. From my experience, the best way to get out of being somewhere you don't like is to either join the military or get schlolarships to attend the school of your dreams and avoid staying in one place. I look back at my high school life often now that I'm in college, wishing I had done better and had taken a certain class to avoid taking it in college. I even wish that I had sucked up my pride and asked for help when I needed it the most. I probably wouldn't be in the situation I am in now if I had done better and asked for help.

Shelly

In hindsight, I am actually quite pleased that I prepared myself for the college life. Yes, it is challenging but college life is essentially about time management and balancing one's social life with their academic life. Being a varsity cheerleader, a captain of the gymnastics team, a member of the TRI-M music honors society, and a member ofthe SGA has aided me in becoming less dependent on my teachers constant reinforcements and reminders and instead being more independent and taking initiative. One thing I would tell myself as a high school senior would be that organization is key. Just being organized itself is extremely important to success. Although I did complete my work in high school efficiently I was not the most organized student because I relied on Edline, a community management system, for notifications. At montgomery college one's syllabus is essentially one's bible. It contains information from the very first assignment to finals. In my first week of college I misplaced my syllabus to my english course for three days and was unfortunately not prepared for the first homework assignment. Essentially,being organized leads to greater productivity and management.

Andrea

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her to apply for scholarships and focus on my grades a little bit more because that will impact everything in college. I would also explain that friendships are not meant to vex you so when starting college, it is alright to start new friendships with the people you meet on campus and cut ties with the people you may have knew in high school. It is for the best because you will need to work hard to be the best you can be to make yourself and your family proud. Also I would say to look into internships because those give a lot of experience in the field you are looking to get into.

Malkah

I would tell my high school self to not only follow my heart with where I go but be wise. Know what is good in terms of your education because it has a major impact for your future. I would tell my high school self that no matter how long and how tiring it is to apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible so the stress for the cost of school will never be an issue. My high school self already had the focus and determination, but I definitely needed the drive to go persevere and succeed in all of my classes and maintain a high gpa. I would tell my high school self to have fun and never lose sit of who she is. I would end with telling my high school self that she has a major purpose in the world, but in order to pursue it my education must come first.

Robert

Dont party so much and study just a little bit more than you do now. College isn't handed to you and you have to earn it, its not the end of the world for sure, but if you study during the study time and play during the play time your gpa will be perfect. Good luck.

Carmen

If I were to be able to give my old self advice, I would tell me myself to focus on school. Due to certain obstacles thrown my way (ie. my parents house foreclosing, my older brother was incarcerated, and I had a series of car accidents, medical emergencies), I was distracted and did not place much of my attention on my school work. I would tell myself that it would all work out in the end and to focus on my studies because that is one of the most important things I could do in order to better my living and financial situation in the future.

Shannon

Put in effort. If you put in as much effort as you do now, you could probably get scholarships and not have to worry about how to pay for school. Also, you need to focus,focus,focus! It is not a game, your whole life and being relies on you putting your best foot forward.

Jason

I will tell you these three things, and I want you to promise me that you will try to follow my advice to the best of your abilities. Number one: Love. Love with an open heart ; Love until you can't possibly love anymore; Love until it hurts to breath. I understand that dad doesn't seem to care or love you, but you have to learn to love yourself; even if that means hurting yourself in the process. Oh yeah, those wonds will heal. Number two: Know that education is the key to a better life. In a few years time, Mama will be working, and going to school in addition to being a full time mother. Please work hard, so that you don't have to suffer like she will. Work hard, so that you may give back to her for all the things she has done for you. Number three: Never give up! Although earths gravitational pull may feel like it's dragging your old, torn, chucks, you must never lose hope. It is at our darkest times when we need to have the most hope. Follow my advice and you'll be fine, kid.

Sade

I would tell myself to take college applications more seriously and not procrastinate on them. I would explain by saying that college is a great experience if you do not spend half of it in offices traveling back and forth for paper work to be filled out and sent to the right person. In addition, I would tell myself to sit and ponder about what majors would be best based on skills, ability, and interest. My explination would be that the college transition will be much easier if you already know what you would like to do, (and it would save some money). Lastly, I would tell myself to apply for any and all scholarpships possible because they help in more ways than just paying for tuition and books, they provide the opportunity to achieve greatness and set your future. I would close my advice by reminding myself that my grandfather always said "An education is the one thing than cannot be taken away from you".

Nissa

Thinking back two years ago, I was not the most well prepared. If there was one piece of advice I would have given myself, it would be to do as many scholarships as I could to help pay for college. One of the major reasons I am where I am is because college is not cheap. My parents alone cannot pay for my four years or more of education and it is my responsibility to step up and try to help finance some of my education; which is what I am trying to do now. Going to college means a person is taking the steps in their education to become a working adult and earn money for their families. Starting early and helping with scholarships can make a huge difference towards those goals.

If I could go back in time and advise myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to continue with my education right out of high school. I didn't have anyone in my life at that time to encourage me to go to college or pursue a career in any field. Neither of my parents were able to complete high school and I didn't have any friends who planned to attend college. I think having someone or being a person who can support or encourage young people just finishing high school to pursue higher education can be invaluable. I am a returning student at the age of 36 and have found a lot of support to pursue my dreams at my local community college. Although it may have been a smoother transition for me to continue with college right out of high school, my maturity has made me a very serious and focused student. As an adult and displaced home maker without an advanced education, I can really appreciate the value of a degree and plan to encourage my children to earn four year degrees before taking any breaks from school.

komla

Just keep up the good work.

Casimir

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior,and knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, time management, chosing good friends, and listening to my superiors would be the things that I would consider the most. Many students ignore that time is the best investment they can make in life. Time spent cannot be redeemed. Every second we spent in life determines our future. As a student, I would use my time reading books or studing with other good students. Instructors have become so available that they offer their time for office hours so that students should take benefit of. Friends we choose in life sometimes determine our future. It is important to choose friends that will encourage you to study instead of wasting time doing other things that cost our precious time. Finally, it is important to listen to our parents and instructors who have life experience. the more we take into account their advice the better we do at school because their instructions are always beneficial. Life experience is the real school of life, and I have really learned from my past mistakes.

Ardalan

One piece of advice that I would give myself is to keep my options open and visit every college that I am interested in. Before doing that I should research which schools offer the most opportunity to get to know the professors and get involved in research. I did not research and look around at different schools, so I limited my options on where I could go. Another big piece of advice I would give myself is to look for scholarships everywhere I could. I shouldn't rely on scholarships that the school gives or federal financial aid, because that might not be enough. I would also tell myself to try to make as many friends as possible and be active in student life, because part of the college experience is to have fun and be around other people my age. I did not do enough of that in college, and that should be a reason that I should be excited for college.

Tiffany

I've gotten a better attitude on life and a better perspective of myself. It has been valuable because it has made me a stronger, more dedicated person who will stop at nothing to achieve my goals.

Alisha

Knowing what I know now about college life, I would tell my high school self in transition to not be afraid to do what interests me. My first semester at college, I spent it trying to be what I thought others expected me to be. I tried to hang out with the "cool" crowd. I dressed as they did, went to the same parties they did, and spent money in the same ways as they did. I was miserable the entire time, though I pretended not to be, and I'm sure they knew as well as I that I did not fit in with them. My second semester I let go of the notion that I had to be "cool" in order to succeed and I joined the seemingly geeky videogames club. Even though I had never played them in my life, they had always interested me so I decided to try it. The members of the club were surprisingly accepting of me and I felt no pressure to change myself to hang out with them. This showed me that simply by doing something I am geniunely interested in, I can make friends and be happy.

Enrico

The first thing that I would tell myself going back is to not take your senior year for granted. Although, the transition maybe assumed to be hard it is a minor hyperbole but at the same time do not take it delicately. Reading is one very important factor that many people take for granted. The reason why reading is so significant is because it enlightens the reader on the knowledge they are reading. Also continuously reading would have helped me increase my reading speed. The major segment of transition I would have told myself was the fact that although the assignments may seem more difficult it remains to be the same amount of assignments.

jacob

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to take everything step by step, little by little.

Kourtney

I would tell myself to make sure I was prepared for my entry into college. This encompasses my studies, my SAT/ACT scores and to excel in whatever gift God had graciously given me. College is very competitive, more so than I could have ever imagined. I did not see the value of attaining certain awards in high school, one being the Gold Award in Girl Scouting, but I do now. I would tell myself not to forsake this award because it is an honor and an accomplishment to be proud of and may set me apart from the rest. I excelled in music but I believe one should be well rounded so I would tell myself to stick to the clubs and organizations I had joined and not quit. I would make sure I knew that I could attend college, excel in my studies and enjoy college life not forsaking one for the other. I would tell myself to do all I can today because tomorrow cannot be relived. Once high school is over and college begins it is too late.

Marcus

If I could go back in time so that I could give myself advice during my senior year in high school in regards to college, I would tell myself to refuse failure, and to ignore the people who try to pull you down to their level. I wish I would have had someone there beside me after high school telling me that the only thing I should worry about while in college is me. I took deconstructive criticism as constructive and I believed it when people told me I couldn't accomplish what my heart had already told me I could. I understand this now, but as an eighteen year old entering the adult world; I was unprepared for the tasks that college life would throw my way. I've learned so much over the years and I feel that any eighteen year old can take my personal experiences and apply them to themselves. The transition into college means an adaptation to our own lives. High School was a place were people told you how to do things right; college is a place that pummels you with the challenges of being both an adult and a student.

Marcus

With the newfound knowledge of how college life is, the advice I would give my high school self is to break the habit of procrastination. During my high school years, I didn't particularly like doing my any of my homework, studying , projects, or essays on time. That came back and bit me in butt because procrastination is one of the hardest habits to break, in my opinion. And because I didn't break the habit, my grades weren't as good as I know I could've done. So, if I was able to go back in time and convince my past self that I'm not a mirage, I would preach about breaking the procrastination habit as soon as possible.

Cecilia

If I could go back to the past, I would tell myself the following: ?Get involved on campus and participate in extra-curricular activities because it is the best way to meet people that share the same interests as you. Keep in mind, however, that it is a big commitment to join clubs. Don?t take on what you can?t handle so you can later dedicate the time and effort to those that matter, because after all, quality always beats quantity. Also, don?t wait until the last minute to sign up for classes, your first choice may go quick and then you?re stuck taking classes you didn?t really want to take and at inconvenient times. In addition, if you're interested in making money, look for jobs on campus instead of somewhere that you have to commute to; it saves you time and gives you benefits which can vary from department. Finally, as tempting as it might be, save the partying and fun for the weekend and concentrate on your classes during the week; you?re there to get a degree and learn to balance your responsibilities, not to waist your time. Enjoy your college experience!?

Lisa

Dear Me: I have traveled back in time to visit you and share some insight with you about college and about life. Right now, you aren't sure what you want to do; your mind is swimming and you have so many ideas. Mostly, you believe you want to be involved in the entertainment industry, and that's fine. But I think you should take some time before you go to college to figure out what you really want to do with your life. Seriously. Many of my peers entered college straight out of high school and, because they weren't ready to make the kinds of decisions demanded of higher education with regard to majors and career plans, most did not achieve what they had hoped to. Take some time and figure out what you really want to do. Find your passion. And then, instead of thinking you know what is available, take some time to investigate all the possibilities. There are so many majors about which you are unaware, so many possibilities. Talk to people. Ask questions. Explore. Doing so will save you from regrets and will allow you to become all that you can be. Good Luck!

Susana

If I were to go back in time to high school, and see myself as a senior, I would first start off with the most important advice: the last year is not a time to lack off, but it is the most important one. Back in high school the term ?senioritis? became a ?disease? for the most of us, and of course including me. Because of my decision to believe that the last year of high school would not make a difference for college application, I tried but not hard enough. If I were to go back I would advise myself to get my head straight, and not just try my best but actually do my best. The College life is the time where you can feel independent but at the same time learn what it takes to pay for school, and have a job at the same time. In college, nothing is free while in high school mostly everything is. The books, the tuition, amongst other financial needs in college increase as you begin your career, therefore the last advice I would give to myself is to see high school as a privilege.

Keiana

I would tell myself not to give up because I make it this far. Life will be hard but it will be harder if I dont continue with my education. Do let no one get in your way and keep my head up. No matter what you go through think about the out come of all the hard work that you put in. I DIDN'T go to school for years to just fail myself now.

Irene

I will tell them that college is not like high school. in high school teachers tell you what to do, and even give you chances to redo your work but in college you have to be responsible for your own work. proffessor do not have time to tell your what to do. they do not care whether you go to class or not. in college you are in for your self, you have to make decision that will help you successed. you have to have more time for your studies and if you procastinate on your work it will catch up with you. you need to find study who are serious and willing to study so you can help one another. you have grow up in college because nobody is there to tell you what to do the choice is always yours.

Allison

Hey there, little highschool me. Listen, don't do what we did all over again-that was a big mistake! I'm just another floating face on a big commuter campus. Don't wait on your college applications; get them all in right away! Spend weekends looking for scholarships, later on you won't regret it. And even if after all that you still end up here at community college instead of Belmont University, don't settle for it! Find a club, or start one if all MC's clubs are failing. Put energy into it,; even if you don't find your best friend in the Fashion club, you'll learn great leadership and organization skills. And take advantage of their big community service helpline-I never knew it was there. Find at least three service projects a month, and participate happily. You'll feel better about yourself, make a difference for someone else, and on top of all that have some really good resume experience to get you into that University next year! I know we didn't plan to be at Community College, but we are. So remember, make the best of it!

christopher

What I am about to tell you is the sad, unembellished, painful true story of what I would say to my High School Senior self. To begin I am USAF Veteran at 28 years old. I went into the military after graduation only to leave three years shy of my six year contract. With no money for college and the career I had planed my life gone, I was lost. I returned to the states and was confronted with $30,000 of back due child support for a child I have never seen and a women I had a one night of unprotected sex. I used all my savings and ruined my credit to pay it all back and now pay $300.00 every month. It has taken me five years but I now finally back in college and doing well. I have straight A?s, a part time job that pays the bills, and a beautiful and loving girlfriend who has been my rock for the past four years. If I could go back in time I would tell myself this story and persuade myself to go right to college and never look back until I get a doctorate.

Dorald

Follow your dreams and never give up. There are so many opportunities in life and they come and go in a blink of an eye. Time goes by way to fast and you need to live each day like it could be your last. Never be afarid to try something new. Always strive to do better each day and never stop believing. You can do anything if you try. The one thing that I have learned that I found to be the most rewarding is that you can always learn. Our mind is like a sponge... the more you allow it to soak up the bigger it becomes, absobing, soaking up and holding onto. Knowledge something you can not buy but is worth working for. Words to live with always in the back of your mind... It is not that we try to fail...it is that we fail to try... Never stop trying.

Latashia

If i could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior i would advise myself to know exactly what I want in a college education. I would make sure that I knew what degree I wanted to pursue. Having changed majors a few times, I now realize how not knowing will only set you back in the end. I would tell myself to sit back and truly analyse the schools I have chosen to make sure the one that I go to is the right fit for me both educationally and financially. I would tell myself to take advantage of scholarship opportunites to lessen the burden of loans. I have seen many people that go to college because they feel obligated to do so even if the timing is not right for them. I would tell myself that if I didn't want to go to college right now, that it was ok because I didn't have to. I would advise myself to make the committment of college to myself first and foremost. If I could go back in time, I would tell myslef that college is a lovely and fulfilling experience.

Erin

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely advise myself to take the time to research schools and available money. I would also suggest to complete my associates degree even if I wasn't sure about what I wanted to major in. Now that I am an older student I can appreciate the importance of foregoing a night out with friends to make sure I am prepared for my classes, which is something every senior should be aware of. I wouldn't have the life experiences I have, or be the person I am, if I hadn't travelled my path, but I believe that I could have made things a little easier on myself had I received a little bit of what I know now.

Denise

Although I was very involved and always on the go in high school, I wish I wouldn't have had to work so much so I could do more volunteer projects. I was not a slacker in high school and so that has helped tremendously in my college career. If the option was there, I would have visited more campuses.

Alexandra

Since the day I decided to go back to school, I thought of this question and many things rush into my mind. One of them and probably the most used by anyone but it is entirely true; focus in school, YOU ARE AN ADULT, and you are responsible for everything or anything that happens in and outside of the classroom; I am the one who will come out hurt at the end of the road not the teacher nor the classmates. Another suggestion will be not to take class with old friends, it is distracting, draining, and if you and your friend have a fall out, the distracting part becomes annoying because not only all the classmates notice but you just opt not to go to class. If this happens again and take a class with a friend and a fallout happens, I will suggest to just focus on your life and class not on the rest. I will also remind myself of how great it feels to accomplish things on my own, how much more I appreciate getting a degree because I was the one who decided to do it. I did it for me!

Crystal

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior can be summed up in two words: time management. I work well under pressure and in a fast paced environment. Based on this, I know that it is important for me to have a lot going on in order to be successful and acheive greatness. So, I would tell the high school senior version of myself to be sure to get involved in as many opportunities as possible in college, keep working while in college, and be extremely diligent in everything I do. The ability to manage your time well is a valuable skill not only in college but also in the rest of life; being able to juggle multiple things at once while still staying on task is a much desired skill. I believe that over my year and half in school I have begun to master this skill; however, had I known this or told myself to do manage my time prior to college, it would have made me all the more successful. Time management will lead to a successful college experience and a successful lifestyle.

CHRISTIE

i WOULD HAVE TOLD MY SELF TO GO STRAIGHT TO COLLEGE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL!

Katherine

If I could go back to my senior year, I would tell myself not to be afraid and that college is a great experience that allows myself to explore new things, find my passions, and expand my horizons. I was scared to go to college because it was a very different experience from high school and a step foward in my life, but I realize now that college has been a positive experience that has allowed me to expand my mind, learn new things, and meet new people.

Dalafaka

Always allow time for studying the subject material before and after classes. Maintain good note taking skills and always arrive at your classes 5 minutes before they are to start. Keep a positive attitude towards people and your life and remember things happen for a reason.

Leila

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to hesitate. I remember that as high school student, the pressures of finding a school to go to and figuring out my future seemed overwhelming. I spent all my time worrying about planning what to do, and almost no time actually doing what I needed to. I ended up working for a couple of years after high school, until I finally decided my education couldn't wait any longer. However, instead of trying to plan out my whole future and getting overwhelmed with it like I did in high school, I decided to focus on one step at a time. So, if I could go back, I would tell myself to do the same thing, to keep the big picture in the back of my head, but focus on each step as it comes, and not worry so much about all the possibilities.

Markus

If I could go back in time and inform myself about college life, I would have listen and thought twice about what to do after high school. The one advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate. Apply for universities way before senior year ends so that you would have time to end your year with something big. Procrastinating is not a good thing - pimples grow, sleeping late happens and worries never end. Apply for scholarships even before being accepted to a university. If you apply for scholarships ahead of time you could have the chance to experience a real college life - sleeping in dorms, meeting new people in a new city and having the experience to come home for the holidays. If you achieve enough scholarships, then you could go to Wentworth Institute of Technology and have the college experience you dreamt of. If you want the college experience then don't procrastinate. If you do then you will regret on where you?re going to end up, and you'll be jealous of your friends who comes home for break and have so many stories to share, while you have a story about the crowded parking lots.

Melissa

Going back in time is a concept many have contemplated, and as I raise my sons, it is an idea that crosses my mind often. As I bring them up in the world, I don't want them to have to look back and wonder what if all the time. With this thought in mind, if I were to go back in time and speak with an 18 year old me , I would stress the importance of goals. Many teens transition to adulthood without a set direction and head to college with the idea of fun and parties and think college will be just like highschool, with a teacher breathing down their neck to accomplish assignments. The reality is, college is your responsibility and is more similar to holding down a job then heading to seventh period English. In highschool if you don't complete your assignment you will recieve a bad grade, college however takes it a step furthur; you lose money. Seniors need to head to college with the understanding they are truly entering the adult world now and need to make informed decisions and weigh the consequences of their actions for a positive college experiance.

Robert

Their is many things i could tell myself that would of helped make my senior year a lot better. First I would tell myself not to wait til the last minute to start applying to colleges or to even take the SAT or ACT. Telling myself would of helped me a lot because I would of had more time to get things done. For example more chances to get higher score on the SAT and ACT. Also i would tell myself to push more and to ask for harder work, not jus sit back and get by with easy work. Doing this would of helped me be more prepared for the work that i was reciving from the classes i was taking. Giving myself this advice would of made my senior year a lot better and less stressfull.

Kenia

I remember as I applied to college as a high school senior, the strongest feeling that I felt was fear. I would no longer travel along the hallways I knew so well, or chatter with the same close friends about nonsensical things. College was serious, and college was BIG. Of course, I knew that by applying to a community college, the school would not be much larger than my high school, but it was more than that. Hearing about the difficult curriculum that was going to be taught in the scholar's program that I was applying to, listening to the inspiring stories told by already and soon-to-be graduates, I could not help but feel insignificantly small. However, remembering myself back then, I cannot help but smile, pat my own head and say, "It will be alright." I was quite smart back then, determined and serious, and knew where I was going. My first year of college was filled with praise from my professors, rivers of new knowledge, and excellent grades. If I could go back in time, I would wipe away my foolishly overwhelmed tears: "Don't be afraid. You will be just fine."

Aziza

I would tell myself, to focus on getting into the university you want to attend, and not on the opposite sex. Though whoever you date may care for you, they will only serve as a distraction during this stage of your life. You should also know that, though the SAT?s are important, do not stress over them. Whether you score high on the SAT's will not stop you from getting into college, it is only an aid. Therefore, prepare yourself for them, but do not fear or worry over them so much. Some students take a few years off before attending college. Do not wait. The more you wait, the less you will remember from your last formal education. The longer you wait the more you will find other excuses to stop you from attending sooner. Go after your education with all you have, because your youth is your greatest asset. My last bit of advice would be to apply for scholarships and save your money; you will have plenty of chances to enjoy your money. Everyone should have money saved for a rainy day, and paying for you education could be one of them.

Derek

To the horror of many parents, I would tell my high school self, "Study what you're PASSIONATE about, and figure out how to earn an income with it later." I was doing very well in math and science -- and a career in engineering certainly sounded lucrative. But when I got to college, I lacked the passion and drive to carry me through the demanding course work. When I wasn't doing school work, I was always sketching and doing small art projects. I changed my major to design, breezed through my classes with top grades and had a job almost a year before I actually got my degree. But I'm still interested in science, so I'm back in school now with a genuine passion for learning physics. I'm not sure how a physics degree will make me money, but I've learned that there are so many different kinds of jobs out there, I'm absolutely confident that someone will have a need for my skills and knowledge. College isn't just about job training: it should be a place where you learn to shape your life into something you find meaningful and exciting.

Mary

The transition from high school to college is radical, and life-changing. I wish I had enjoyed my last year of high school. High school seniors are so caught up in applying for college, scholarships, and loans, that they forget to enjoy the little things in life- afternoons with friends, Friday night dates, and even tasks such as community service and bake sales are looked back upon with fondness. Graduation hits childhood innocence like a ton of bricks, and in the aftermath, we find that we are adults, out on our own in this big, cruel world. Our parents and loved ones won?t be waiting at the door when we return home ; No one to tell us goodnight or remind us to wear a coat. It a difficult adjustment, but no one ever said life would be easy. I, for one, choose not to waste my time regretting events in the past, for it is through our faults and errors that we grow. But I wish I could tell myself-as-a-senior tojust enjoy life. Drink in every moment, good and bad. Because you don?t know what you have ?til it?s gone.