Montgomery College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Montgomery College

Egbe

iT'S A GOOD COLLEGE TO GO TO TO GET THOSE CREDITS NEEDED TO MOVE TO A LARGER, 4-YEAR UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE, BUT THEY ALSO HAVE A LOT OF DEGREES YOU CAN GET THROUGH THE COLLEGE. THERE IS A LOT OF ACCESSIBLE TRANSPORTATION WITH THE BUS SYSTEM AND THE CLASSES/EDUCATION IS REALLY GOOD HERE.

Declan

It is fine so far. The financial aid process was aggravating and confusing. The counselors for incoming students and for my major were/are great. I cannot wait for the theater programs to start so I can really get into the behind-the-scene stuff I like to do.

Iwin

Montgomery College has a lot of opportunities for all students that attend. Staff are always around ready to talk to you about the different organizations, sponsors, and clubs that are available to help you get involved. Their tutoring programs are phenomenal, as they truly engage with students individually, making sure that they clearly understand the material that they are being put up against. They also offer many scholarships, one in fact that pays a full year's worth of tuition. Since this is a community college, class sizes are small, so professors can have one-on-one meetings with students during class, to help them get caught up on all assignments. For anyone who lives in the DMV area and doesn't want to have a huge loan on their back, Montgomery College would be a great fit for you.

Angela

It's interesting ,fun, has lots of majors to choose from, and a variety of clubs. The teachers are nice, some students are nice. Overall, you can feel safe because we have security there. The only problem is the the food is expensive, not always cheap.

SEBASTIAN

Montgomery College is an excellent community college that provides many educational opportunities for anyone who (but not limited to): -Had to drop out of school for whatever reason(s) and are looking to come back and further their education -Is looking to get an associates degree -Does not have money to pay for full university tuition rates -Does not know what exactly they would like to study at a 4-year university The bottom line is that Montgomery College is an excellent stepping stone for anyone looking to expand their education and mind. The Community College feels more relaxed in the sense that there isn't a lot of pressure from classes and professors. In other words, it is a low-stress environment. Higher level classes are harder of course as with any academic institution after high school. But registering/dropping for classes are a little less intuitive and require assistance for first time students. Frustration would come over me as I struggled to register for classes and since I didn't know exactly what I wanted to study I struggled finding which courses I should take. I highly advise meeting with a counselor and sticking with them for as log as you're there or find one you are comfortable with. Make appointments and talk to them about your ambitions and possible academic goals. They can and will help you if you ask them. The college also provides many meetings and seminars that are free to attend that can help you navigate through loan counseling, class registration (and everything it entails), financial aid registration, admissions, majors, mathematics help, reading and writing help, etc. The resources are there and they are helpful. The college seems to lack promotion of these services however. Even with the emailing list (that does well to let you know of these services) sometimes we just don't check our emails and get busy with other responsibilities. It would be nice if the college promoted these more. Befriend your teacher whenever possible because it improves your experience in the classroom. Many (if not all) of the professors at Montgomery college are very passionate about their areas of study and teaching itself. Having that connection with a professor will not only make it easier to learn the material, but you will have someone that supports your educational journey and you will feel more comfortable asking for help inside and outside of the classroom. Most of the professors are available during their office hours so feel free to visit them but it is always good to let them know at least a couple days prior to your visit so they can prepare to help you. They are indeed flexible so if you need anything short notice I am sure some will be more than happy to help you. One thing to remember is to always ask questions and try and stay informed to events and services. If you are not vigilant (as is with other universities and life in general) you will miss important info and opportunities. Stay focused. Have a plan. Create a supportive network of professors and counselors. Ask questions whenever you can. And soon enough you'll meet your goals, and you'll be on your way to taking your next steps in your educational career and/or other aspirations.

Mariah

Montgomery College is a great college! Most professors were professional and knowledgeable. The most beneficial was the tutor center which helped with subjects, such as math and accounting. Overall, MC helps students prepare for the real world.

Dulce Alanna

I absolutely LOVE Montgomery College. I am sad that they do not have my Kinesiology major, otherwise, I would have stayed all four years to complete a bachelor's degree for Kinesiology. I really appreciate being able to sign up for classes online because I am able to sit down for a long period of time to make my academic schedule work around my job. I like the class to professor ratio because it is not too large. This allows me to have good relationsips with multiple professors to be able to help me ensure that I am on track with my academic path. There are always extracurricular activities to do on the campus and events to go to which always keeps the campus lively too! I love Montgomery College!

Kaitlyn

Montgomery College is a place for pretty much everyone. Students that graduate high school, or still in high school, international students, Military personnel, disabilities, or people coming back to get their degree. There is something for everyone at the school. There's dozens of programs offered from fields in cyber security, physical fitness, to art animation and interior design. The professors there go out of there way to make sure that students are prepared in whatever they go into in the future, and are a constant help in making sure you pass. It's sectioned into 3 campuses spread throughout Montgomery County, so you get a different experience for each one. While some are more updated than others as far as structure and technology, Montgomery College continues to work on building a better school for students in the future. Online classes are good, so long as you have a professor who can use the platform well. And as far as extracurricular, there's tons to do on practically anything that interests you. Even board games. Despite it being a community college, it's one that thrives in academics, diversity, and extracurricular.

Kezia

Montgomery College is an amazing, fun place to begin your college career, or even acquire an associates degree. The college is spread over three campuses that interact with one another to provide the best education for their students. Faculty are almost always available to speak with students, even if its for a quick hello in the hall way. Courses are rigorous, yet understandable, and extra help is provided on each campus for free. Montgomery College also has a Student Life program where students can become more involved in campus politics through a student senate and working alongside staff. Members of Student Life also have the opportunity to be student leaders, reaching out to the new and first year college students on campus, providing information, support and a listening ear. Overall, Montgomery College is a great two-year institution that educates, enriches, and invests in their students.

Phuong

It's an ok school, it's a community college, so I don't expect much from it. But I do appreciate that the class room size is small, so the professor can get a good understanding of the students' strength and weakness. It's kind of like high school, but with mature adults of all ages.

Jesy

Its a community college where people go just so they can earn credits and either get a job after or move onto some other university. This whole place has a chill vibe and the Rockville campus is the safest out of the 3 campuses. There are events sometimes but they are small things and these get a decent amount of people but no huge crowds or anything. When I say this place is chill, it really is, like everyone usually minds their own business. The facilities are nice and the new learning center is great for studying and depending on the time you arrive here, parking can be a bit of a hassle but other than that, this place is pretty good.

Jared

Montgomery College allows students to test the waters of university while also building a network of colleagues. Whether trying it for the first time or coming back to it, it shows that you can go to college and still work, pace yourself, and organize all you need.

Akhil

I've seen a lot since joining Montgomery College but overall I can definitely say that don't expect the rigor of coursework to be lighter because it is a community college and the teachers in general are very engaged. During my first semester in English 102 I had to write multiple 5+ page papers arguing my stance on aspects of illegal immigration which was something I did not expect. I thought the rigor here was not as much as 4-year universities but I was wrong. Then in my second semester I had to do complex chemistry experiments involving measurements, observations, and solving equations for acids and bases etc. which was something else I was not expecting. Besides the special rigor I saw in these classes my other classes did also have a lot of material to be covered and required me to focus everyday. Other aspects I want to talk about now are the social and operating aspects of the college. Many of the students at Montgomery College are not as tolerant as other students in 4-year universities.. Don't get me wrong in my classes all the students that I had seemed fine but when you walk around campus you're going to hear a lot of profanity and occasionally see some violence. I still do like some parts about the way Montgomery College operates. Every campus has ride on buses and if you show them a valid ID the ride is free. The campus is also not too wide at all so it is easier to go from place to place. Hope this was helpful!

Briana

I love Montgomery college because of its atmosphere and friendliness. I'm always kept well informed about what's happening on campus and when things are going to happen. All the staff are very helpful and willing to answer any questions you have and if they can't answer they can point you to someone else who can. The professors are always able to be reached through emails or whatever the the communicate method is for the class and even if you happen to get a teacher who isn't that good with responding to emails you can always visit them during the office hours. The professor’s are willing to answer your questions but also leave you room to think about them and research them yourself. Montgomery college is a great school and I enjoy going there because I know they have my best interest in heart.

Selena

Montgomery College is really good for having online options, and class time availability. The only bad thing I would say is the graduation department does not thoroughly process your applications. This makes you wonder how important you are to the school. Not graduating would have effected my entire life, all because of major mistake on the schools part.

Jordan

I enjoy Montgomery College a lot and I believe it offers a lot for a community college. I used to attend a private college in North Carolina called Campbell University and it was not the greatest school to attend. I did not feel like I belonged at the school and yet I do at Montgomery College.

Kaitlynn

Community college tends to have a bad reputation. You hear whispers of how they are only for those students who didn't make the cut to attend a 4-year college or university. You also hear that the education provided by community college is far less than the best. Montgomery College (MC) throws all those misconceptions away. I too believed every negative thing about community college but at the time I was ignorant the important lesson MC would bring into my life, a lesson I will keep in my heart forever. It's that you're never too old to learn and follow your dreams. At this school we have many students who are over the traditional college students age. Though sometimes it can be challenging due to the generational language and cultural barrier, it gives us younger students peace. It shows us that even if life gets crazy and you're force to defer your dreams, you never had to give those dreams up. That there's always a place for you that'll help get you there.

Katricia

Montgomery College is the best place to go to when you want to easily finish all your general education requirements! This college is affordable and you're saving a lot of money instead of a 4 year university. This college is very diverse and people here are genuine. If you want a perfect way to save money, and also get the credits you need in order to transfer, then come to Montgomery College!

Mael

Being a Community College, a student here may not feel the full campus experience as do other universities that are said to be four years school. But regardless of that fact, the academics are still as good if not even better. Due to smaller classes and a more focused engagements from the professors the students here get to learn better in some aspects.

Fernanda

I really enjoy classes. Professors are very helpful and they give great lectures you can have discussions in. They offer many opportunities for learning and thinking outside of the box. They also offer a lot of help for students that cannot afford certain supplies.

Tamara

It's a good campus. They have good people and great staff

Aida

It's a good starting place for students who already know what they want to major, and from there they can get good quality education that can help them potentially transfer to a four year school, which can save money.

jacqueline

It is very diverse and can be a critical stepping stone to transfer to a four year college. Though the social aspects are lacking, the academics are amazing. The differences in people's backgrounds and ages are critical to creating an environment where all different opinions are shared.

Lavallie

The school was very nice. I was going to do two years at this community college and then transfer to a 4 year university to finish out. I would recommend this school to anyone who may have some financial setbacks because they will work with you to help get to signed up.

Yomaris

Montgomery College is a good two year college. They offer many opportunities for the students. Most of the professors are always willing to help the students and always offer their availability. The class size is small, which allow the professors to assess the students individually.

Samuel

Let's put it out there and say it's not Harvard. You get what you pay for but the majority of the students are on Financial Aid so technically, if you're paying for your own education, you are also paying for someone else's and hat's off to you for that! I wouldn't recommend any high school students to come here unless you have to because the chances of graduating from a community college are very slim. Make sure you are not distracted from your focus or otherwise it will swallow you whole but as long as you have your head screwed on tight, you won't be making the wrong decision here.

Kelly

I think this is a great community college. I have learned so much, just as someone in a university would their first two years. As a student at Montgomery college community college, I feel safe, valued, and given the best education possible. I am apart of 2 clubs, and there are so many others to join, anywhere from arts to adventures to sports. Even though this campus does not have housing since it is a community college, it makes students feel like it is their college since it is such an open and diverse community. Montgomery College gives me as a student a great start to college before transferring to into a four year university.

Sofia

Overall, Montgomery College is a pretty good community college. The student body is pretty diverse, particularly on the Takoma Park/Silver Spring campus. Most professors are nice and are willing to help. There are also many scholarships available to students, two different honors programs, and lots of school clubs.

Selena

Montgomery College is a school where you can learn in an open and welcoming environment. Class sizes are small and people from all over come to the school. The diverse student population is very friendly. Many opportunities are available as well such as clubs, tutoring, and classes.

Yafet

Montgomery College supports its' employees. Salaries were higher than most other public institutions. Advancement was available to all who excelled at their jobs. I worked with a dedicated group of people. Everyone did their jobs well. Everyone worked to support everyone else. We all depended upon each other for certain kinds of information.

Leslie

Montgomery College is the college to attend when considering getting an Associates Degree in any field of study.It is first of all very affordable and with small class sizes,one is sure to get their money's worth.It also has a very diverse student population,thereby providing an opportunity to be exposed to a variety of cultures.Its affordability, cultural diversity and nationally recognized academic degree programs make it a college to attend.

Sidy Lamine

Montgomery College is a pleasant school with awesome opportunities. The school is one of the best in the DMV territory and offers more than a hundred fields of study. Be that as it may, certain advocates are a tad bit deceiving understudies some of the time. The Takoma Park grounds is truly dynamic with in regards to administration exercises and extracurricular exercises. They likewise offer openings for work to understudies in the greater part of their specialties. Moreover, the school does not have dormitories or lodging alternatives. Up until this point, the school merits a 4/5 on the grounds that there is dependably opportunity to get better.

Ramatoulaye

Montgomery college is an amazingly diverse school that has great and available professors. Class sizes are generally small compared to university classes, making it easier to speak with professors. The food is good, but could be improved. There are three different campuses and all of them have a "serenity space," where students may pray or take a break if they need to. This space is very useful to me as a Muslim, since we pray five times a day.

THERESE

Have never seen a fight or scuffle of any sort happen at campus nor have I heard of one. Many mature individuals attend this college who are looking to learn and assist one another. Campus security can be seen roaming for everyone's safety and security. Nor have I heard of any reported stolen items on campus since i've been here soon to transfer

Ngong

I love Montgomery college especially how diverse it is. I get to learn not only about academics but also about culture from various people of different backgrounds. I also like the serene environment and how every student works to accomplish something each day. I also like the fact that there is a gym in the school and a swimming pool to encourage students to not only learn but also release stress and keep fit in the gym and in the pool.

Mariam

I think it's a great school and I'm really happy that I get to attend. Montgomery College is filled with great people, food, and has amazing resources for educational purposes. Montgomery College is an amazing place for students of all ages and overall it is an amazing school!

Varnessa

my first year attending the school was good i felt like the teachers really wanted their students to be successful. But, once i started my second year of school the teachers i had were rude and wasn't helpful.

Nicholas

The school has a couple different campuses choose from and offer a wide variety of classes as well as majors. The professors from my experience have been helpful and are willing to help you and even go the extra mile to see you succeed. School atmosphere is always chill and never have to worry that you're in danger.

okole

It's a fine school. Students just come here so they can save money, then transfer.

Iliana

Montgomery College provided me with a great steeping stone to attending post-secondary. I always wanted to go to college but I wasn't ready financially and mentally to study at a 4-year institution after my high school graduation, and Montgomery College helped me through this process. I received a lot of help and motivation from the professors and staff. I enjoyed all my classes, especially those pertaining to my major. I learned a lot at Montgomery College and I am very proud and grateful to have been able to attend a helpful institution.

Evelina

Montgomery College is a great institute for international and transfer students, to either pursue an associates degree or attend classes for pre-requisites and transfer. College offers a variety of extra curriculum activities and opportunities for students to get involved in Student Life.

Virginia

Montgomery College was a great place for me to explore different academic and career options while I got my feet under me after high school. The small class size makes it easy to get one-on-one help from professors if needed, and there are many computer labs, writing assistance, and tutoring options. The tuition is fairly affordable. I enjoyed every opportunity I got to meet new people, connect with my classmates and professors, and explore my plans for the future.

I would have to say that there are teachers that care about you but there are counselors that do not care and will but you down if you are having a hard time with school. They will crush your dreams and tell you that you will never achieve them. If you go to a counselor you better make sure that you do your own research or they will screw you over.

Francisco

Great place to earn an AA Degree and move on to a four year institution. I had the pleasure to meet some of my favorites professors in this school. Needles to say, I truly enjoyed my experience. I had a chance to attend full time, part time and at times only enroll in online courses. My expereinces across the three settings were exceptional and I would recommend anyone who is not sure about what to do with their academic life to enroll in this school. It was perfect because it allowed me the opportunity to be a student and part of the workforce, which in turn helped me develop skills in and outside the classroom.

Brendon

I love Montgomery College. It is a community college, so there isn't much to be expected in terms of extracurriculars and Greek life, yet they do their best to keep students involved. The college has small class sizes, so it is easy to get to know your professors. It is also a very cheap option and it has made me very thankful for the opportunities it has provided for me. I am now able to pursue my education farther at a 4-year university without worrying about a huge debt to be repaid.

Nima

It is a great community college, and I am lucky to study in there. I have been learning in a verity of things everyday. Studying in there is enjoyable and I feel cheerful. Professors have high knowledge of curriculums to teach and most importantly, they are always available to meet them.

Amber

I went here for an SAT prep class. The campuses are pleasant, I have been given directions many times, and the councilors are so helpful. I wish I spent more time on this campus, but I have not. There are many busses that can get you to and from all of the campuses, students ride free. There are restaurants around but I have not seen the cafeteria so I cannot judge the school food. Would visit again. Can’t give it a higher score because I spent only a few weeks on campus.

Loren

My overall opinion is that the school is great for those who want save money and or just want too obtained an associate's degree and enter the workforce sooner rather than later. Other than that, Montgomery College can compete against four year schools in academia as well as tournaments.

Amber

Montgomery college is a confortable and amazing college. it a college where you can be actively involved.

Caitlin

Montgomery College has its pros and cons. I decided to go because it is a cheaper alternative to a four year college and because it would provide me with an easier transition into college life. It has achieved both of these things. I was able to earn an academic scholarship so it really is a cheaper alternative, and the academics at this school are extremely good. This school has amazing professors and that is the reason I have been able to sustain a 4.0 GPA. Since it is a community college I have also been able to really focus on my school work as opposed to living on my own. Montgomery College also has its cons, however. Being at this school has made it hard for me to engage in a social life. I was able to play on the volleyball team and it was a lot of fun. However, most of the friends that I made through volleyball go to a different campus than I do and they live farther away. Being on the campus that I am on (Germantown campus), there isn’t much socializing that goes on because people are usually on the go and have somewhere else to be. I can’t say anything about housing because there is neither on nor off campus housing. The food on campus is decent, however I don’t usually eat it just because I don’t have the need to since I can just eat at home. Overall, Montgomery College could be great for some people or not so great for others. Personally, since I will only be here for my freshman year, it was a good choice because I was able to really focus on my work and it was much cheaper.