Moody Bible Institute Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Moody Bible Institute

Moody has solid Biblical teaching with a great community that has implementations to help Christians in their walk with Christ. Although the food at Moody Bible Institute is not that great, it is located in the heart of down town Chicago. There are a lot of different things to explore like the bean or Maggie Daley Park.

Emile

I really enjoy attending Moody Bible Institute. My time here has grown me in ways I could have never imagined. I came in as a naïve freshman girl, thinking I was "mature" and already knew a lot about the Bible and Christian Ministry. But my educational experience here has shown me how little I know, how much I can grow, and how many people are lovingly willing to help me get there. One of my favorite aspects of my education was the Church History courses I took. I realized how much more my present reality made sense if I looked at it through the lens of church and (consequently) world history. I learned why certain aspects of our present condition in society are "messed-up" in my opinion, because there is history to explain how we got here. This lead to a world of discovery for me. Another integral part of my educational career occurred when I went on Moody's Study Abroad Program in Israel. I spent eleven weeks living in Jerusalem and seeing the stories of the Bible come alive as I walked in the very same places that biblical characters walked. This helped me grow in my faith. The opportunity for close relationships with professors also developed here as I realized how much of an impact class size can have on the learning experience. I also learned how to live in a very tight community with my classmates. We often experienced each other's flaws, conflicts arose and deflated, but in the end we all remained friends. It was incredible to grow with my peers in such an intimate setting. This time at Moody I will always look back on fondly. This school has given me so much more than I could have asked of it!

My overall opinion is that, while the school has its downfalls and issues, so does every other school. The education and experience you gain are quite helpful, even if it's not quite what you expect. There's a strong sense of community on campus. With a couple exceptions, the professors want to help you and have a heart not only for teaching their subject, but also for the Lord.

Christian

When I think of Moody Bible Institute, I instantly think of its founder, D.L. Moody, and his life dedicated to spreading the word of God to people all over the world during the nineteenth century. When he founded Moody Bible Institute, Moody aspired to build a school that would serve as a training ground for young Christians to evangelize to many parts of Chicago, including the slums of Chicago called Little Hell. Nothing but awe escapes my mind when I remember Moody's dedication to serving God until his passing in 1899. As I approached the institute campus and entered into the campus buildings in August of 2018, I saw and felt, without a doubt, God's presence all throughout campus. Both the community and academic atmosphere reflected what D.L. Moody's purpose of the institute was intended to be - to serve as a training ground so that they can evangelize to the world. My overall opinion of Moody Bible Institute is very high because of how true and committed everyone enrolled at the institute is to serve God, just how D.L. Moody was. Even though the institute is located in the heart of Downtown Chicago, people attending the Institute are committed to serving everyone who is within reach of knowing the gospel and God's word. I am proud to be called a student at Moody Bible Institute.

Alyssa

Moody is the perfect school for individuals looking to go into vocational ministry. The classes, outside class experiences, faculty, and administration are top notch. Faculty are always willing to meet and work with students and want students to succeed. The community found on campus is also unique and enriching.

Danielle

Excellent school and Godly community of people who are always there for you, academically and through life.

Mollie

I absolutely love Moody Bible Institute! It took a little time to adjust to living in the city at first (I'm from cornfields), but overtime, exploring the city with friends really reshaped my admiration for Chicago! The school has a perfect location--right in the middle of downtown festivities, a mile from the lake and beach, and near what feels like a hundred coffee shops. The fellow students share a passionate desire to learn and serve the Lord. The professors are kind and are willing to grab some coffee with a student to help them understand the class work or just have a chat about life. Moody Bible Institute is an amazing place, and I have had an exhilarating experience thus far!

Neih

I love the location and the school. I am really happy to in here because I learn so many things from this school. I like the ways our professionals treat us. they are friendly and humble. All the people are very open and love God.

dawn

Moody is a bible based college and is very conservative. The surrounding city is wonderful. Bible based classes are engaging and professors are very accommodating. Worship and chapel are regular during the week. Classes can be very tough but very rewarding.

Preston

When I first heard of the school, I thought there was no way that I would ever be able to go there. But somehow here I am, and I can confidently say that this school is amazing. It is not perfect, I will admit that. But nothing is perfect. All I can say is that this school is going to help me become the person that I was meant to be and do the things that I was meant to do in my life, all thanks to Moody Bible Institute.

Joshua

Moody Bible Institute was not originally intended to be an institution of higher education. The original idea of MBI was to form an institution in which lay men and women, who did not have the time and money to become clergy, could still be trained in the Bible and in how to reach the nonbelieving population of Chicago. Today it still carries that vision, but also carries the vision of higher education, to train people for ministerial jobs without having to go to seminary. My opinion is that Moody Bible Institute lost its original vision in becoming a higher education institution. Because it is an institute, it is a premiere institution for undergraduate laymen to learn about the Bible and gain an undergraduate degree in the meantime. People from around the world come to this institution to gain a strong biblical foundation for their careers and for their lives. Not to mention the Practical Christian Ministry (Community Service) requirement that MBI has for its students makes Moody one of the most positively influential institutions throughout Chicago. Nonetheless, it is no longer merely for lay ministers in the city to be equipped for ministry, but a world-renowned institution of higher education focusing on preparation for ministerial vocations. All the while it does this while under the radar of the secular world. The influence of MBI is striking--if it did not exist, the world would be a much different place.

I love everything about Moody Bible Institute! The community is amazing as is the location, food, professors and other staff. The housing is pretty crowded (unless you house alone), but it should be expected in Chicago. The cost at MBI is also very reasonable which is extremely helpful!

Joshua

It is a great school with wonderful professors who are very passionate about enhancing your Biblical knowledge and spiritual maturity as you prepare to serve the Lord. The school also allows you to be engaged in ministry each week in an area that you choose, giving you practical experience in ministry.

Morgen

Intentionality and love are the two major characteristics of the professors at this school. They make up what is best about it. When you feel silenced by the world, stressed, and confused about all you're taking in you can go to any of the professors and they will pour into you as if you are one of their own. They care beyond our grades- they see us for who we are and care that our passions extend beyond the classroom.

Alyssa

Moody Bible Institute has been an amazing choice for me. While Moody does not have many student "groups" to join on campus they have many of them built into the program to ensure everyone has community from the very beginning. Each floor has a weekly bible study together which builds relationships. They also have a program called First Year Experience (FYE) that students are able to participate in for their first year at Moody. This program places you with other students that are in the same boat as you so that you can go through the transition of college together. The food here at Moody is quite similar to typical school food. However, in the cafeteria there is a cart full of spices and sauces that you can add to your meals to add more flavor to every dish. This allows for every student to make their meal taste more like home. Everyones first year at Moody is about the same when it comes to classes. Just as typical Universities require general education courses, Moody does the same thing. However, because it is a ministry based Institute, your core classes are mostly centered around the Bible. I found this to be extremely nice for two reasons. One reason is because this way, most of your classes are with students who are in similar circumstances as you. A second reason is that because you are not taking classes that are specific to your major, you are able to spend this time looking into majors if you are not sure about what you want to have a degree in without getting behind others in that major. Something unique about Moody is that most people receive a two year degree in the Bible while they are working toward their major. This is really nice because you know you are getting a firm Biblical base for whatever future ministry you end up in. I hope this review was helpful for you in your decision on Moody Bible Institute. May God lead you in your future decisions.

Tyrone

Moody Bible Institute is a very down to earth university. I've never been to the Chicago campus, only the Spokane campus but it's very easy to navigate and is the perfect size for the number of students. The student/teacher ratio is excellent and classes are never over-crowded. Because all of the classes take place at Felts Field, an airport, there is no on-campus housing. However, Moody has set up a means for students to rent housing for about $275/month from investors. This makes living and moving to Washington much easier and affordable. The education is demanding but immensely rewarding.