Moravian College Top Questions

Toni-Lee

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would have warned myself to prepare much better that I did. Transitioning to college with as late of a start as I have, I have learned to take as much help as I can get. The internet is an excellent and essential resource that I wish I could have discovered sooner. Although I'm now a single mom, I would tell myself that taking care of my daughter and attending school full-time will be difficult, but there are benefits in Rhode Island that help single mothers achieve success with such a serendipitous toddler. Altogether, I would help prepare myself with the necessary resources to achieve my short-term and long-term college goals.

Don't be in such a hurry to leave high school. College will be better than you ever imagined and you will have lots of fun, but, at times, it will be much harder than you expect it to be. You will learn so much inside and outside the classroom during your first year and you will have so many new and exciting experiences in your new college environment. You need to cherish your time in high school. School and life in general will never be easier and less complicated than it is right now. Spend as much time with you friends, your dog, and even your parents before the year is over. You don't realize this now, but you will miss them more than you think you will. Take advantage of every opportunity you get as a high school senior because, I promise, you are going to regret missing out on football games and pep rallies because you don't realize what little time you have left here. Soon you will be on to bigger and better things, but please, appreciate what you have now because next year, things will never be the same.

victoria

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior now would probably be not to worry to much about getting into a college. Its most likely you will have at least two options of college that you will be able to choose from by the end of senior year of high school. Instead I would tell myself to worry more about how I will stay in the college after the first year. So many college students mess up their first year of college because of all the extra freedom they have, especially students living in dorm rooms. At that time they dont realize whats is at stake for failing classes, or not attending them. Most students that do this usually dont come back to the same college mainly because they have lost their scholarships and simply do not have enough money to pay for the college. These students even if they reallly want to go to the college may not be able to attend which is a shame. So my advice is to focus on school work and to make sure I know how to balance that with everything else that may be going on in my life.

Arielle

I would tell myself that going to Moravian may be expensive but it will lead you to the best people you will ever meet in your life. You will have an incredible opportunity to meet people who will change your life. Not only will you figure out who you are as a person but you will figure out what you want out of life. You will have so many oppportunites to help others and become a leader on your campus. Even though the start may be slow, never take any minute for granted because soon you will wish that you could spend forever with your friends, sisters, residence life staff and classmates. Take charge of who you want to become and fly higher than the clouds because this will be the best time, albeit the most stressful, time of your life.

Destiny

Entering into college presents itself as one of the most hectic times. Although now I have the privilege of being enrolled in Moravian College there are a few aspects of my educational career I wish I was aware of prior to my graduation. Although this may seem repetitive it is vital to any student’s future that they understand that senior and junior year is not the time you be beginning planning for college. NO SUDENT SHOULD JUST START THEIR COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS A MONTH INTO SENIOR YEAR! Why? Most times it shows colleges that specific portion of your personality was created just for this purpose: applying the schools. If you are not Leonardo Da Vinci with an IQ of over 205, you need to start planning freshmen year how you are going to appeal to colleges. I’ve always had a learning disability so I took advantage of volunteer opportunities, thus not focusing as much on standardized tests. If you are student who has something that may hold you back from reflecting this pristine image colleges are looking for, then look at how you can work at your weakness, do not totally disregard its existence.

Look for financial aid and scholarships early and aplly for more financial aid and scholarships then you think you will need. There are many factors that play into receiving enough financial aid. Always have a back-up plan.

Ashton

I have been attending my local community college and am in the middle of finishing my prerequisits. I am going to school to become a dental hygienist and i am in desperate need of money. I work full-time for an attorney at law and am a full-time student. I currently live with my family in order to save more money. I have a GPA of 3.8 and am very serious about my studies. I have been shadowing other dental hygienists in the area to learn more about my profession, have received many letters of reccomendations and am in the process of applying to an accreddited dental school in the area. If i win this scholarship it will help me pay for my tuition, gas, board, food, classes, books, and my dental instruments that i am required to purchase for the next 3 semesters. I've known i wanted to be a dental hygienist since my first visit to my current dental office. I love the fact that i will be able to make others love their smile and that i will be helping others feel more confident . Thank you for your time and consideration!

Rudolph

College has been a learning experience for me. Of course I've learned in the academic sense, but, in addition to that, I've learned to be more independent. Being on my own has taught me problem-solving skills, time-management skills, and how to be responsible for myself. I've made connections with professors, and with their help I've been able to get internships and do an honors project, which have all gotten me more focused on what I want to do after college. My education is better preparing me for what comes after school by giving me the knowledge, the experience, and the connections to get a job in my chosen field and/or go on to post-graduate studies. I am very thankful I've had this opportunity to enrich myself.

Sebastian

College gives you alot of life lessones. However, the most influential lesson that I have taken out of college is, Time Managment. Time managment is very necessary in your everyday life because without it you will be doing whatever you want whenever you want and it will all just be a mess. However, if you set a schedule and stick to it your day will flow smoothly and at the end of the day, week, month, year, you will be successfull in whatever it is you do because you made a schedule and stuck to it. Like money is the root of all evil, Time Management is the root of all great acomplishments.

My college experience has changed me as a person. It taught me a lot about myself i didn't know and helped me to mature immensely. Going to college was a really tough transition at first. Getting used the the workload and how to manage my time was probably the hardest thing for me. I found out what it takes to make it in the real world, balancing school work and a sport all at the same time. From college i learned what type of person i am, what type of person i want to be, and what i want to do in my life. It has been extremely valuable to me even to have just attended college for a year so far. Without this experience i wouldn't know what it's like to be on my own or what it's going to take in order to get a good job. I wouldn't know who i am or what i want to do with my life if i wouldn't have attended college.

Belinda

Having the chance to be enrolled in a college of your choice is a brand new chapter in your life. You get to make new friends and start in a new environment. Going to college is not a chance that everyone gets because of grades or financial situations, so take advantage of what is being given to you. I have learned to work twice as hard and be active, but at the same time I would run into time management situations. Eventually, I have found a balance and I am enjoying it. The biggest problem with students is procrastination. Even though I am in college now, it does not mean that there is less of it. There is a lot of freedom at college, so you need to have self-discipline and know your responsibilities. Another big thing when making a transition from high school to college is to stay organize and eat healthy. Overall, making the transition is not that different, but you need to have self-disciplne and motivation as well as having fun and relaxing.

I would tell myself to apply for financial aid scholarships starting sooner and that Moravian is the best choice for me. I would advise against astronomy and advocate taking more political science classes sooner.

Jazmin

If I had the opportunity to go back to my senior year and tell myself, I would say " Jazmin dont give up! you've accomplished many goals through your high school years and you have so many ideas to help your community. Follow your heart and pursue the career you want because its the work force you'll be having for the rest of your life. College life is fun because its way different then high school. Keep in mind that its only you that matters because its a competative world out there. Continue being the student thats full of commitment and taking risks because you will get far. "

The biggest piece of advice I would give myself would be to not worry. College was a big, daunting thing when I was in high school and I was very worried that I would not fit in and I would struggle. I would tell my past self that college is a place to find what you excell and to even find yourself. The teachers are there to support you and help, you may not get along with everyone but if you be yourself college provides you with the chance to make friends that you'll have for the rest of your life. So don't worry, you are not alone, most people are nervous upon arring on campus. College should be something to look forward to not something to cause stress. Take a deep breathe, you are prepared, trust in yourself that you made the right choice, and enjoy your senior year without that worry hanging over you and also enjoy the years to come.

Chad

Since now iam out of school for now i would tell self to be more talkitive then i was and prolly a lil less annoying and to transfer to a different highschool. where i might have been able to get along better with my classmates

Learn how to balance school, friends and family without ignoring any.

Sienna

Parents' role is not 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} compared to that of the student. But their wisdom and opinions do matter since once the student goes off to college, their view of their parents changes and usually for the better. Choose a school that presents just enough of a challenge for all parties involved, financially, academically and socially.

You just know when the school fits. Don't choose a school based on it's name or popularity. Try things that sound interesting to you. Even if they don't work out, it's better to know that then wonder "what if?" Go to school-sponsered events. Learn past what's required. Explore that tangent; that question in the back of your head that you come across.

Definitly sit in on a class or two. I would lean toward going to two then you see how the teachers are and the students, and after the class you must ask the students questions. Do not forget, the professor knows you are in the classroom so they are going to be on their best behavior, not how they act everyday. Make sure you spend some time without your parents also so students will really treat you how they treat everyone else. Visit more then once to get a real feel.

Rania

Finding the right college is all about your personality. You shouldn't base their decision just on school prestige. You have to choose a college that fits their social mold--smaller population if you prefer smaller classes and groups of friends, and larger population if you prefer larger classes and groups of friends. To make the most of your college experience: don't just spend all your time studying. While learning as much as you can in class is important, you also should attend guest speaker lectures and presentations outside of class in topics that you may not necessarily know anything about or you may not necessarily think you'll enjoy. You might find a new hobby or interest in doing so, or simply just a new perspective on life. Also, many collges have good libraries: utilize them! Read a book on a topic you're interested that's not necessarily related to any of your courses or even your major!

Choosing a college is probably the single most important decision a high school graduate would have to make thus far. The best advise I could give parents and students facing this daunting decision is simple - go with what feels right! Every person is different, and as such, not every school is right for everyone. Visit as many schools as possible while still in high school so that you can decide exactly what kind of school you can see yourself at in the future. Remember, this will be your new home for the next four years. Choose the school that feels comfortable. Once you choose your school, make the most of it! No matter what school you choose, there are countless opportunities available to get involved. Find something that interests you - whether it be volunteering, intramural sports, greek life, or even knitting - there's something for everyone. Getting involved can not only help you to make life-long friends, but it can also teach time management which is an important life skill. More than likely you are paying an arm and a leg to attend the college of your choice - take advantage of all the free resources it has to offer!

Spend time at the schools in which you are interested. Attend a few classes, eat a meal on campus, and take a tour of the residential buildings- after all, these are the places you spend most of your time. Talk with some of the professors of your department of interest, they'll be glad to meet you! Take note of the things you like and dislike so you can compare them to your other choice schools. When you are in school, don't take a single opportunity for granted. Learn the most from your classes, join clubs and activities, and give yourself time to relax and meet new people. This is a once in a lifetime (and potentially expensive) experience. Don't let a moment of it pass you by.

Research and visit colleges.

Becky

Do thorough research! Find out everything you possibly can. I did lots of research, and visited my prospective schools, sometimes more than once. I visited Moravian College three times before I finally accepted, and I was positive that that was the right school for me. Look at the section of the website dedicated to students that attend the college to get an idea of what's offered. Don't place TOO much stock in an individual's perspective, because that's just their view and they could be a very different person than you. Find out about financial aid and exactly what you could be eligible for. And don't be afraid to ask questions! Admissions people are really friendly and quite happy to help you.

Choose a college that has diversity and a wide array of majors, especially if your child is still undecided. Do not force your children to play sports in college, as it is a far more stressful experiance than high school was. Take advantage of scholarship opportunities and work study, definitely file for FAFSA. Try and encourage your child to stay on campus most weekends, especially during their freshman year so they can assimilate to the college life. Do not be afraid to ask questions, and do not be afraid to be picky and indecisive, college is a huge decision and a huge investment, make sure you are fully satisfied with your choice before you invest thousands of dollars.

First, when looking for a college, the student should not assume that he or she knows what college they are going to. This topic in respect to parents; a parent should not force there child to go to a school because they want them to or because they went there for their undergraduate or graduate program. It should be the students choice where they go to school and they should look around for a school that best fits them. What makes a school best fit for the student? Easy question. Easy answer. The student should just... "know"; if not right away then by exploring the school by visiting the classrooms and meeting some teachers. The decision of where to go to college is an important decision and should not be taken lightly, nor should it be over emphasized and made out to be the biggest decision the student will EVER make. The student should like the school so much as to want to stay there for the next four years, for that is what is to occur if that is the school they select. I knew right away, but some people don't; it is different for everyone.

Get involved in everything. Try a little of everything until you find your fit. There's something enriching out there for you. Find it.

Choose somewhere you will feel comfortable. A student should look for a place where they will be able to grow as a person and and as a student, and it is important to know how much environment can shape that growth. You will be shaped by the professors you have and the friends you make profoundly, so it is important you feel that you will meet good role models. The academic reputation of an institution is certainly an important factor, but know that there is no such thing as a perfect school. The student is ultimately responsible for his or her education. It is up to the student to take the initiative and utilize the resources of an institution to get the most for their tuition money and rise above his or her peers. Understand the differences between small and large institutions. While large institutions offer many more resources and often possess larger endowments, smaller schools can be more flexible and allow an individual to make a noticable difference on campus during their studies. You will spend some of the best years of your life at college, so make sure it is somewhere you will be happy remembering.

Parents, you have to let your kids make their own educational decisions. It's their future, not yours, and they will be living with it for the rest of their lives.

Suzanne

Visit the colleges of your choice and pick the one that you feel most comfortable in.

Tour as many times as possible. Schedule an overnight visit. Talk to as many current students as you can, as they are the ones who really give you a look at what life at the college is life. When you get to college, talk to as many people as you can and join activities to get involved so you have something do to. Do not feel pressured to drink if that's not what you like to do, because if you search with effort, you can find your place anywhere.

Desirae

Choosing the right college is not an easy task. It is important for students to explore many different colleges in order to find a place where they feel comfortable. I believe that when visiting colleges parents/students should create a list of what they are looking for in a school. Having your necessities met is just as important to you as it is to them. A tour or over night experience for the student is a great way for them to see if they feel comfortable with the atmosphere and like what the school has to offer. To make the most out of a college experience, I believe it is very important to be involved in activities inside and outside of your major. Meeting new people and becoming involved in the community plays a huge part in allowing a student to adjust to their new school. I also think it is very important for first time students to live in a dormitory. Here, the student can meet many people and learn about various activities around campus from their resident advisor. College is a fulfilling experience and I believe each person deserves the chance to experience the possibilities that are ahead.

Deanna

I would advise students to go by their gut feeling that they get when they walk on to a campus. And I would advise the parents to trust their child's decision. Also, get as involved as possible on campus! You only get one (well, sometimes more than one, but...you know what I mean) shot at the most memorable years of your life!

I would tell students to visit as many schools as possible. Don't be afraid to spend lots of time on the campus and really observe your surroundings. Don't make decisions based off what you think you might want (sports,parties) eventually the concept of real life will hit and you might realize you didn't choose the right school for what you wanted to do in life because you were too concern with playing football or being in the band. College is not easy but i would suggest you pick the most difficult school for your own personal needs. Want to strive for something and work hard don't ever be content.

It's very important to take your time and find the right school that fits you personally. Going to a school just because your friends are going there may seem like a good idea now, but will not be as beneficial in the long run. Choose a school that feels right for you! (After all, you'll be there for the next four years!) Once at your school, it's important for you to get involved in as much as you can on campus because it truly will help you grow as a person. You will never know what you are capable of until you get out there and try new things. Test yourself! You'll be suprised what you find!!

Marc

Find a place that feels right in all aspects of the college life. Do not choose a school solely on academics, athletics or social life because all will be extremely important when you are in school.

From personal experience, the transition from high school to college can be a bit rocky. I would advise future college students to not only research the most basic areas of a school that they are interested in, but also research the campus offices; i.e. student affairs, learning center, leadership center, etc. I feel that these certain areas within a college campus can make or break any school. It is very important to have a well-rounded education and in order to receive one you need to be in a place with well-rounded facilities. I would also advise parents and prospective students to not be afraid of a certain school due to the cost of tuition. Most schools offer a great deal of assistance and are more than willing to help out where ever they can. There are also plenty of other opportunities to get the assistance needed to attend a great school; i.e. scholarships & grants, etc. In order to make the most out of college you need to have a firm base of what you want to accomplish while you are attending. You also need to remain focused on your goals, but allow yourself a social life.

I would suggest to visit the college more than once before you make your final decision. Sometimes the day you visit may make one impression of the school that may be skewed. In order to feel confident in your decision go back for another visit or stay overnight, that way you will get a better feel for the school before you go there. And when you get there don't be afraid to try new things, talk to people you would never think you'd be friends with, and just have fun. You never know what college can do for you unless you go outside the norm and make the most of the four wonderful years you have there.

Save

If you are looking for the right colleg for you, do not wait till the last minute. Start your junior year in high school and look for schools then. Determine what you would like to study and where in regards to location from your house and location of the campus.

leslie

Visit a variety of different colleges. When you get to the school you're meant to be at, you'll know it.

Make sure you TOUR campuses. Ask a lot of questions on the tours. When you pick a college that is right for you, join a lot of clubs and be really friendly to everyone. Be involved in your classes and study hard; it's not like high school.

Lillian

You definately need to visit the school. Just because it seems good on paper doesn't mean that the environment will be the right fit for you. Sit in on classes if you can so that you can get an idea of what it is like to go to school there. Make sure you really like the feel of the college, because if you don't you could end up being really miserable. Once at college, make sure to have a social life! School is important, and it is good to get all A's, but not if it means having no time to relax and spend time with friends. College is important, but it is not the MOST important.

Plain and simple. Get to know different kinds of colleges before you make a decision. Don't just look at big state schools, because maybe a small liberal arts school is the best thing for you, not huge classrooms with 200 students in a lecture hall. First take a look at a couple big state schools, smaller private schools, and ones in the middle. It's good to have a lot of choices from a diverse background of schools. After you do some research on schools, then decide which atmospher you like. Do you like the hustle and bustle of a big campus? Or do you like a more relaxed smaller atmosphere that you can still have fun at? After you make your decision in that category, line up some schools that fit that category, and go to overnights! The best way to find out what a school is really like is to live with someone from that school, go to the classes of that school, and see what the social life is like at that school. The more schools you visit, the more likely you will find one that fits your financial, educational, and social needs.

Kia

I would advise parents to really listen to what their children want. If your child has his/her heart set on a specific school, encourage him/her as much as possible and support his/her decision no matter what. If the school is located in a town that you're not crazy about, don't talk your child into letting it scare him/her or be the deciding factor. If he/she sees potential, that should be good enough. Once accepted at the school, your child's ability to get along there will be acquired in no time. Students need room (and the opportunity) to grow as human beings. As far as students are concerned, I suggest "everything in moderation." In order to make the most of your college experience, you have to value your education as much as your social life; after all, you are paying big bucks for it. Do not, however, become so buried in your studies that you cease to exist and forget what fun is. Just be sensible and try and use good judgment when it is called for; make academics and education the basis of your life, but don't let them dictate it.

Always look for a place that fits you. Make sure there are a lot of options in classes and majors available if you are still undecided. Take a fun class along with every semester that you take an extremely challenging course. Get involved in your campus because it really is the best way to get to know people. Talk to people that go to the school when you go for a visit. Ask them things like : What's the worst thing about this place? The best? Where does everyone hang out? How many people stick around on weekends?

Picture yourself at the school and see if you will be happy. Also check with students and ask them to tell you their experience with the school. Do not ask teachers or students who get paid to 'sell' the school

Erik

When choosing which college is right, the decision should come down to the student. The parent should only be a guide. The most important thing is knowing exactly what you want in a college. Do you want a large college? A small one? Do you want to be in the city, or in a more rural setting? There are many characteristics that you must decide on. Once you have a grasp of what you want, you need to give yourself as many options as you can, or until you find the school you are looking for. The best way to get a feel for a school is to visit it's campus. As far as maximizing your college experience goes, get out of the dorm, take part in campus activities. Meet as many people as you can, go to social gatherings. You never know when you might meet the person or people that will change your life. Make sure you keep up with your school work, or else all of that money was all for nothing. It is during this time that you will make yourself. What you are after college is the result of what you put in. Fin.

MaryKate

visit as many colleges as possible, and talk to students who are currently enrolled there.

First off, find a school where the student feels like they are far enough from home to excape their parents, yet close enough if they need them. Look for a school where classes are taught by professors (not TA's) whom you can communicate with, and which teach small class's, and schools that have a well rounded fields of study that they want to major in (dont study marine biology in South Dakota). If you want to play sports, take an overnight trip and hang out with the team at a school you know you can play at. If you didnt like who you were in High School, you can change yourself in college, its a new starting ground. The first month of freshman year is most important to make friends!! Leave your dorm open and talk to as many students as possible. Join clubs and groups that sound interesting and dont skip class just because you have the freedom to do so. Be responsible and enjoy the time you have because before you know it, college will be over!