Morehead State University

« See more reviews of Morehead State University

I would advise parents and students to visit as many campuses as possible so that they have a good understanding of what is offered. In my experience, a college may look good on paper but until you visit the campus you never really know what it is like. The best time to visit the campus is during the regular school week so that you can see what the college will be like on a regular basis. I found that it was best to set up a private tour of the campus instead of coming on an open house day because you were able to see a lot more and could ask more questions. Once you have chosen a school, make the most of it by getting involved. Most campuses have student activity boards that plan fun things for students throughout the week, so keep a sharp eye! I found that once you start putting yourself out there people will flock to you because almost everyone is just like you--nervous and looking to make friends. Most of all, don't be afraid to try new things and meet new people because that's what college is all about!

Go on many college visits, visit interesting colleges more then once. Find that college that makes you feel happy and at home. If you are not comfortable on campus on a visit, you wont be comfortable attending there. Don't be afraid to stop students walking by you, they were in your shoes before. Look at the town/region the college is in, a tiny college in Appalachia is not right for everyone neither is a large Ivy League school. Also, don't limit yourself to the colleges where all your friends are going. You're going to make new friends. This is your life, your college, and your future. Once you move in to the new college students, be yourself, a lot of new students will think they can make a huge change just because this is a new school. If you're uncomfortable with yourself it will show. Make a few small changes but stay true to yourself. And lastly, do not be afraid to try new things. But remember some things aren't for everyone. Just don't forget you went to college to get an education above all else.

Figure out what you want to do and go to school. If I had the opportunity to go back in time, I would tell myself, finish school. I began college, but had no clue what I wanted to do. I went two years without knowing what I wanted and ended up changing my major and then eventually dropping out. I have worked many jobs trying to make ends meet. I would tell myself, life is too short to struggle. If I would have completed my college courses after high school, I wouldn't be strapped for time now. I work full-time and go to school full-time. I juggle that, a husband and my children, and that leaves little time for myself. I depended on my husband for support, but I wanted to depend on myself. I went to Big Sandy Community and Technical College in 2002-2004 for Graphic Design, I graduated with a 4.0 GPA. I decided I needed more, in 2006, I started my core classes and graduated from BSCTC in 2008 with my AA. I now attend Morehead and it's a stuggle with my life and school.

I would advise you to study harder in Math, to save yourself the trouble of having to take extra, and costly, classes to pay for the reviewing you'll need before getting into Math 120. I would also advise you to get a higher grade point average so that you could have a better chance at scholarships. You should also not spend all of your money on frivelous things, and save for school. I would highly reccomend you spend more of your free time exploring your interests and finding out what it is you love so when you get older, you all ready have a good path to follow, vs trying to figure it out before it's too late. Take the SATs as those would help give you a huge advantage, and clarify which classes you need to take BEFORE you begin to sign up and register so you can have fully functioning goals to go after, and not have to worry about sudden, costly, surprises. Lastly, begin your scholarship search immedaitly, to avoid the stress of worrying about making it though college.

I have made plenty of mistakes since I entered college four years ago, some things I am okay with, like the time I walked into the wrong class, sat down and began taking notes only to learn my class was in 102 not 201, and others I wish I could vanquish from my memory, like New Year's Eve 2012 when I became black out drunk with no recollection of the nights events only to wake up in an unknown place shocked and scared. But that's just it. College is about learning who you are, but more importantly who you want to be known as for the rest of time. New Year's Eve 2012 did just that. I didn't want to be known as the stumbling girl at the party, I was smarter than that. Learning who you are stems from the mistakes you make. Perhaps that's the best advice to give oneself, make mistakes. Those mistakes created the person I am today, and I am proud of who I am. I have become an educated woman who plans to make a difference in the world, and I can thank my mistakes for that.

Knowing what I know now about college, I would tell myself that I should not be nervous about college. Morehead State University is where I will find who I am. I will meet people here that will be in my life forever and those people will positively impact my college experience. I may be unsure about what I want my career to be for a while, but I will have great professors that will make inspire me to be a Teacher. Those same professors will help me find my best learning style and will assist me in my study skills so that I can be the best student possible. At Morehead State University, my teachers, friends and family will guide me into becoming the person that I have worked so hard to be. Don?t be worried about leaving home, because college feels just like it. You will be happy, you will have to work hard and study hard. Morehead State University is the path to success, they provide you will the vehicle, you just have to drive.

When looking for a college to attend ,I think the best thing to remember is this. Bigger is not always better. You should look for schools that have the program available that you want,then look at the smaller schools and communities. I feel smaller is better because you are not a face in the crowd. You have a name ,professors know you,and you tend to get a better education because of it. You want to get the most out of your time in college. This is the best way I feel to do it. Another reason why smaller is better is the community is smaller. The businesses know that you are there for a reason. They tend to help you out,and take care of you. The police force also tends to be more of a presence on campus,and there is less trouble. So don't always think bigger is better . Look at the small schools and communities . There just might be the right one for you in a little town near you.

First of all, I would tell myself not to bring my whole room to the dorm with me! I didn't use half of what I brought my first semester. I would tell myself not to worry about not making friends because there are plenty of great people at college. It was easy to make friends. I would also tell myself to keep up my confidence because I would definitely need it. I would want myself to know I could get through any class no matter how hard the class was. Finally, I would tell myself not to think my friends from high school would still be there for me. I learned that lesson and would like to avoid it all if I had to do it over. In order to avoid the dorm drama, I would tell myself to room with a stranger. Things may have been better for me if that had been my decision on the whole dorm situation. Rooming with your best friend may work for some, but it definitely didn't work for me.

Ok...you're a high school senior and you have met your Math requirements already...TAKE a math course anyway! It was really hard to remember Math after a year or two away from it. They will tell you that there are tutors and Labs that you can go to if you are having trouble, but don't count on them. They don't help the big, shy guy as much as they do the cute, blonde...ever! When I was in high school, I didn't know that an Apple computer wouldn't run the program needed for my Math and that the professor spoke English as a second language. I stopped working as hard as I had in my last year of high school and spent a lot of time learning to play the quitar and learning how to be a good boyfriend. These are terrific things to know, but a college education is just as important. College is not as hard as they tell you it will be in high school, but the Math is harder!

Advice I would give to students and parents about finding the right college is to first find out what kind of college you're interested in. Take into consideration teacher to student ratios, the amount of studying needed for each class, the availability of the professors, and possibly the traveling distance. The advice I'd give to students about how to make the most out of their college experiences, is to go to the university's programs and meet new people. Sign up for a sorority or fraternity, join a club or organization on campus, become active in your campus' activities. Students should be theirselves and remember to not become too wrapped up on the social part of college and forget about their coursework. The last advice I would have for future students is to know what kind of student you are and to always allow time for studying and doing homework!