Morehead State University

« See more reviews of Morehead State University

I believe college has developed several character qualities in me. Upon attending college, I realized the burden to understand the material, achieve excellent grades, and maintain a high grade point average was solely my responsibility. My dedication has allowed me to become a member of an honor society. I am grateful for the outstanding college graduates who have been role models for me. In my opinion, I see that the educated are respected and have far more opportunities to lead. In our current social economic environment, we need more educated and responsible people to lead and direct the next generation. The college experience has definitely stretched me, but the opportunity to become a positive role model for the next generation is well worth the arduous journey before me. My intent is to lead others in a path of success as well.

I would tell those looking at colleges to first of all, take visits to as many colleges as you need. Even if you don't think that a certain school is going to be an option for you, it never hurts to look. It will help you to make your decision. Also, when you find the right college you will know it. In my experience, when I visited the college I chose, I felt a sense of calmness. It was like all of my college worries were over. Follow your heart and your gut instinct to make your decision. As far as making the most of your college experience, get involved in things at school. It is a great way to meet people. Also try to be very open and friendly to others in your classes. That is another great way to meet people, and it also gives you options to have others in your classes to help you out if you are struggling in a class.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I know the first advice I would give myself would be to start taking campus tours and researching different schools early. Options should always be available when one is choosing a college to attend. If you wait to the last minute, you might end up going to a school that you woulnd't have chosen otherwise. I would also tell myself to take college very seriously. College is not all fun and games like the movies make it look. I would tell myself to buckle down and study, instead of putting it off. Sure college is fun, but grades are always a priority. The last bit of advice would be to get involved, whether it's a club or sorority, just do anything to get involved with the school. This would have helped make my transistion to college much smoother.

If I were to give my high school senior self advice, I would tell myself to strengthen my study skills. College is not like high school. High school was easy and didn't require much studying. When I came to college, I realized that having it easy in high school was not going to help me succeed here. Since I didn't have to study in high school, my study habits were severly lacking. This led to me not completing my major in four years and finally switching to a different major. Since I have been here for so long, I am now considered a non-traditional student. If I had the chance to do it all again, I would still come to Morehead State University, but I would have learned how to effectively study beforehand.

The first thing I would tell myself as a high school senior is to not take any of it for granted. The friends you have now won't always be there. Some will drift away but some will stay forever so cherish what you have right now. It's going to be a lot harder than you think it is to leave home but it's not horrible forever. When the assignment is given, do it that night. Don't slack off and procrastinate and think you can just do it before class because it doesn't work that way anymore. You actually have to learn how to study now! I know it's a foreign word and a concept you're actually going to have to be taught but it will come in handy, I promise.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the most useful piece of information I would give myself is, "Do not fall off your tracks!" It is very easy for high school seniors to lose focus on why there are attending high school, but it is so important that they do not. I would advise myself to step up my studying and spend more time on homework because grades really do matter. Also creating good study habits and homework habits during high school really helps prepare students for the college work load. So all in all, my biggest piece of advise is to settle down just for a few more months, it will be woth it in the end.

When looking for a college to go to pick the college that you want to go to not what everyone else wants. And while you at college dont fall under peer pressure do what you want if you dont want to party or drink dont. I am a sophmore at Morehead State University and i picked it becuase of the price, the campus size, and the surroundings. Everyone should experience the college life it really does change your life and gives you a different out look on life. But just remember college isnt just about having fun and getting drunk. I have never drunk in my life and never went to a college party and still am having the time of my life.

I would tell myself to never expect that I know everything. So many things other than what I planned on, happened my first semester and already in my second. Go into college with an open mind, ready to face the world and willing to change. Don't be set in the same mind set as when you leave high school. Clean your mind of most everything you've experienced as far as applying that to what you think will happen. If friendships you had in high school don't keep and turn out in college, it's okay because there are plenty of people at college to be your friend and who will really be there when you need them. Just live, and be happy.

If I could go back in time to give my High School self some advice about college I would tell myself to learn to be more patient with the living styles of others. I would say your first few roommates are probably going to come from completely different backgrounds and you will have many personal differences. These differences are going to cause you to have living disagreements, and that you need to be understanding and try to talk through your problems. By doing this you'll come to learn that these people, though they are different, are good people whom you can come to be friends with.

To go back in time and speak to the high school senior me, I would definitely tell myself to branch out of my shell. I was extremely shy in high school and that kept me from doing a lot of things. I would also mention to myself that it is necessary to budget and save money. I was never a student that had to study a lot but college has taught me differently. I would also tell myself to stick with softball. I played fast pitch for the high school but I quit my senior year in order to take college classes. If I would have stuck with softball I could be playing for college right now.