Morehead State University

« See more reviews of Morehead State University

I would inform myself that the need for moor munchies is very important, and getting a larger meal plan to go along with it is very beneficial so your not begging for meals from other students toward the end of a semester. Also, I would try and prepare myself for the feeling of confinement by not knowing anyone or where anything was. On the other hand, I don't really think I could have been able to prepare myself for the loss of being left alone and on your own for the first time. I probably wouldn't have listened to myself anyway.

I have a little brother who is a junior in high school and I gave him this advice: Choose a school that fits. Don't pick it solely on atheletics (my mistake). Don't pick it cause your family tells you that's the right choice. Even if you are a partier, don't pick it because it has the best parties. Visit the campus, meet the students, and find a way to explore the campus life, on and off campus. The idea is to pick the school that is going to give you the college experience that YOU have always imagined, academically and socially.

The first thing you need to look at is the ratio of teacher to students in the classroom. You are there to learn and you need to make sure that the teacher will know who you are and is concerned about your grade. Also, go somewhere that has the right social or e.c activities that you want to take part in. and most importantly, pick the school that is right for you and what you want to do. It may not have a big name that society recognizes but it may have a big name in what you want to do. you just may notknow it yet.

The size of a college is a big factor when choosing. Though my particular college is small, it does have alot of advantages when communicating with the instructors. High school is based on standardized tests and reguardless of how hard you try in highschool, you will be forced to pay for your school on your own if your parents are successful. I just wish that I recieved some type of financial assistance because my parents have their own bills to pay and cannot put me through college.

Don't turn away from State Universities, or assume that you have to go Ivy League to get a first rate education. The better known the college, there's the likelihood that it'll be more expensive (sometimes needlessly so), bigger and harder to navigate, and involve larger, more uninvolved classrooms. Visit the colleges, explore the campuses and the surrounding communities. Pay attention to the class offerings, but look for character, too.

I would tell myself to really consider what im getting myself into and not choose the school cause they want me to play football. Also I'd make sure i did my research and see if they offered the particular major that I am interested in pursuing. Then I would try to see I could take a visit to the school to see if i fit in the campus atmosphere. Last but not least I would make sure I not too far from home that i would get home sick.

Your intended major is the biggest concern you should consider when looking for colleges. Smaller colleges, in my opinion, are the best options because the students have a better opportunity for one on one with the faculty. Extra-curriculars are also a big factor, because if you child is bored outside of class, they will be dissatisfied with their college experience, and they may not do as well as they could and/or should.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senious, I would explain to myself not to be afraid of life in college, or of new people and experiences. I would explain that college is much different than high school, it's a chance to start over in a world where no one knows you and you can portray the you that you want people to perceive you as rather than the you in high school cliques that you were known as.

I would tell myself to get my butt and gear and stop procrastinating on projects. I would tell myself not to underestimate the classes or overestimate my abilities to remember the information on tests without studying a lot. I would say STUDY!!!!! and don't forget to make friends and experience everything you can so you don't end up by yourself most of the time. Take advantage of all the help and tutoring you can get.

Go to a college that is the size and preference that you like. For example if you like smaller town atmospheres go to a smaller school. Also, start a college fund even if its only 10$ a month! I didnt have that and my parents didnt go to college so they didnt know what to do and now i am so far in deft with loans and owe the school so much money I just dont know what to do but try and stay positive.