Atlanta, GA
Morehouse College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Morehouse College

Stewart

It is known for producing succesful black leaders. Also, it is famous for producing graduates such as Martin Luther King, Jr., Benjamin E. Mayes and Howard Thurman.

I would suggest that they find a college that is known for producing successful alumuni. Also, they should find a college with good academics and teachers. Another thought to consider would be location such as rural or urban environment. Some people prefer a rural or urban environment. Furthermore, one should find a school that offers financial aid to students who need assistance in attending school. Finally, they should send their children to a school that previous family members have attended.

Some teachers can be harsh in terms of grading.

Joseph

The academic and cultural environment. The Historty of Alumni.

The academic and cultural environment. The Historty of Alumni.

All Male Predominately African-American environment

1) Visit the schools you are looking to attend 2) Talk to alumni to get an understanding of the social environment as well as the academic. 3) Survey the surrounding area and city 4) Consider the cost of admissions

Seth

Morehouse College is most noted for educating the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. King attended Morehouse at a very young age and the College has the only statue of him in front of the Chapel that is named in honor of him.

Primarily Morehouse is known world-wide for educating African American males, and has a comprehensive track record of turning out some of the best minds in society!

The most important advice i could give to parents who have children entering or considering college is to focus on all you can do before you get there to ensure an easier road. In saying this i mean taking the SAT seriously and scoring well so you can be offered scholarships. To participate in extracurricular activities and be an active volunteer. Students should visit various colleges and attend the one that can best cater to the needs that you are trying to pursue in the future. In doing these few things, students will have less headaches in dealing with problems after they have began school.

Mxali

Students at Morehouse College vary from inviting to judgemental.

Students at Morehouse College vary from inviting to judgemental.

College cirriculum is basically the same everywhere. Finding the right college is all about asking yourself things like "is the campus apealing to me?" "Do i like the food?" "Are there places for me to hang out on campus?" "Are the people nice?" Its not about the money, its about the experience.

The kind of person who should attend Morehouse should be someone who is open to everything and anything. He should be forward thinking and have the world's best interest at heart.

Jerren

Super smart guys with great personalities.

Super smart guys with great personalities.

College is a time to have fun. Choose a school that is best suited to what you want to pursue in life and make the most of it. Try t get an A in every course that you do. A high GPA opens up many doors of opportunity. Social status comes with a high GPA too.

Its career opportunities because the best African American/ Black talent are concentrated in this environment

Christopher

I would say attend a school that you know alot about and are at least familiar with. It was a little tough for me to adjust to this school because I knew nothing about its values and history. To have something to bring to conversation can put you on the edge to be an effective successful individual. As far as the college experience goes, certainly be engaged in a social life because I promise you, the relationships you make in college can truly turn out to be LIFE LONG relationships. That is one thing I love about my school. The Alumni Association is very strong and supportive and you can always have close relationships with those that attend your school. These people help enhance your personal development and encourage you to always do better. I think it best to really do well in school because the amount of knowledge surrounding a college campus is enormous. Taking great heed into getting a valuable education is very important. I believe that if you take enhancing your personal development and valuing your education, you can say confidently that you had a great college experience.

the facilities are not the best and the campus itself is not that of a college campus. It is way too small!

People who are very religious and I mean baptist/christian. It is a very religious school. Certainly have some intelligence and be able to bring something to the plate. Be well rounded and versed.

Tyrone

Always follow your own intentive instinct and only allow you to make to decisions for you. No one lives your life except for you, so make the smartest decision pertaining to your education.

The best thing that I beleive that my school posesses is the fact that it is a Historically Black College. This allows me to become more knowledgeable of my African American history in addition to learning my area of study. Many well known African Americans have attended this college such as Martin Luther King Jr., Samuel L. Jackson and Benjamin E. Mays.

The thing that I wish I knew before I came to this school is that there is no education department. My main goal is to teach High school level students, and I wont be able to receive teaching certification upon graduation. while attending this school.

Mel

There isnt a best thing about MC, one thing I would change is the schools attitude and the way they look down on everyone else, the school is little and you would think more of this school for the price you are paying. When people find out i was once a Morehouse Man they ask why, what was the experience like and is all the things they say about the school true.While at Morehouse i spent most of my time off campus at Morris Brown or Clark Atlanta wasnt never anything interesting ever going on at MC. MC administration has a major attitude problem like they dont like their job they show favoritism toward certain students that sings in the Glee Club or whoever does something special for the school.The most biggest controversy on the campus was when MC described and treated me as a common thug that is nobody and is not going to get ahead in life because i was attending MBC and cause of a confrontation with a MC student which happens to be their fault.yes it is alot of school pride and the only thing that is unusal about MC is that they never interact with the other schools.One thing I will always remember is when MC showed there true colors of who they really were. The main complaints that was a problem at MC was Window Units in the Dorm rooms for all that money we were paying out , no personal school library, limited hot water.

Well the only racial issue i came across at MC and that was toward your own race, at MC students that really don't have friends or are loners or have low self-esteem are ones that really would have a hard time adjusting at MC because for starters they are't friendly, when going to class some dress casual, some dress urban some dress like they are going to the COGIC Convention, no differnt students on campus dont interact unless they have a reason to I dont know what the four tables are but I do know they snitch about everything at MC. Most of the MC students are from down south and most them come from wealthy househould , alot of the students at morehosue steer more toward the left meaning negative than right and it is very few that are in the middle. Students do talk about how much they plan on earning and how much they expect to make after they finish paying all them loans and tuition expensese to MC.

MC needs to really wake up and understand that the world still functions without MC as well as there are plenty black men that are intelligent and that can speak for themselves and that doesn't need to have a degree from MC to succeed in life. If you have to go to MC to get the knowledge to know that you are a someone and you are very articulate and determined ,you need to take that up with your parents becasue that is some they should've taught you at a early age.

yes. All the sterotypes are accurate because attending MC i found it to be a very disrespectful and contradicting, and they do live up to all of the sterotypes listed.

yes while at MC i knew my professors name my favorite class the ones I took at Spelman in the Dance/Theater dept. I dont know how often the students studied at MC but the class participation is only common for the ones that were active in the school, outside of class no they dont have intellectual conversations, No, the students at Morehouse are no competitive my major was Music Education/Dance i enjoyed the theater/Dance dept at Spelman MC academic requirments were a little over the edge to me, To me the edeucation at MC is geared more toward learning for its own sake.

They have several organizations on campus at MC but I was never affiliated with any of them because the way I carried myself it still wasn't of good character to them plus they were always so negative. I dont know if the students leave their dorms open I dont check doors, athletic events could be better but they have too much pride, I didnt have any friends at MC I had friends at the other colleges, I am awake on Tuesday at 2am I was at the other campuses hanging out having fun, every year they would have the celebration for Dr. Martin Luther King birthday, Fraternities/Sororities are somewhat important if you are joining them for the right reasons. Its nothing to do on a Sat night that doesnt involve drinking why because I am grown and nothing is wrong with a drink off school campus every now and then.

The sterotypes about MC one is that all the guys at Morehouse are gay as well as they put everyone else down to make themselvees look good as well as they dog the other schools especially Morris Brown College for not being that white collar shirt and tie school as well as if you dont act like the Jones you are put into a certain catergory as well as the MC guys putting up a big front faking to be some and more than what they are.MC pretending to know what the definition of a true black man is just because it is a all male school and Dr.Martin Luther King went there, and that MC guys have more sense than any other black male in/outside the AUC and all MC guys must marry a Spelman girl, as well as MC thinks of other black to be beneath them by saying you can distinguish a Man of Morehouse because a he writes with a pen, CAU writes with pencils, and Morris Brown writes with crayons. If you are a black male and you dont go to MC you are lower than dirt.

Quinn

Morehouse is an institution of male empowerment. Not superiority or dominance, but more emphasis on social conscience and enriching of leadership. Here it's a brotherhood, rather innate or learned, we are brothers. There are many times you'll feel like the person to the left or right of you may not have your back, but the environment is great. Good teachers, you'll learn alot about school, but most importantly consciously or subconsciously, you'll envision and fit the mold of the Morehouse man. And you'll instill the lessons that were taught to you (in or out of class) for the rest of your life. It's an experience. Someone told me that from day one. And i'll tell the next class that. Morehouse: an experience.

The student body is as diverse as any other school. Homo-phobic, yet tolerant. Christian, yet not enforced. Rich, and poor. The thug and the pretty boy. Morehouse is eclectic. I've had good experiences with all my brothers. And I like the diversity.

The sterotypes are NOT accurate. Hence, they are stereotypes. At times there can seem to be an overflow of "personal expression" but none the less that doesn't mean every man wearing a nicely fitted shirt or pair of pants is gay. They can be interested in fashion and just that. Moreover, everyone at Morehouse isn't rich. Some of us HAVE to work for a living and maintain their living.

Un-fucking-believable! When you come in to morehouse you'll think every class is cake. THe 3.8 comes natrually...but as time goes on, the course become unrealistic and especially the 2-and 3- level courses. They say it takes a semester to acclimate, but honestly it takes about a year. The first year you breeze, but then the classes challenge you even more. At Morehouse, you WILL be taught to think for yourself. Period. And each teacher has a unique way of presenting that.

GROWTH. Morehouse is designed to challenge you!

Well for one, the surrounding community feels that many of the men at morehouse are homosexuals and are self absorbed men. Also, Morehouse is over-rated and overpriced.

Carl

In the big picture Morehouse is Morehouse. Like any school where the experiences are unique to your setting, it is hard to explain to outsiders. When we speak of "Club Woody" or "Hump Wednesday" or Crown Forum, others just dont understand. I have grown so much from the time I arrived here. I was told, "You wont get this experience anywhere else and I believe that." I love this place more than anything in the world and I would do anything to help it keep its name. I find myself growing attached to it when I am not with it. I find myself noticing things I didn't notice about it before on a daily basis. I find myself becoming a part of it just as much as it has become a a part of me. I find myself at Morehouse because I find Morehouse in me!

We are a band of brothers. We are a family in every sense the good, bad, and ugly. We battle but we love. I know that some brothers dislike other brothers at time but we all want to see that brother succeed. I truly believe that.

Its 2008 and people still battle everyday with the person they see in the mirror and the person who sets foot into the world. In a world where diversity is ever so embraced and self-expression has become the normality, people still find it easier to fit in with the masses. It has become more evident with the so-called “thugs” we have on campuses across this country. In a literal definition a thug is considered a violent person. Not to say we all don’t have tempers, but violence isn’t the purpose of being in school. Whether it is Morehouse, Clark Atlanta or any other institution, to carry that thug persona while trying to attain a college degree is a contradiction in every sense. Trying to understand what makes men want to appear so much harder or realer than the next has been challenging and can lead to many different conclusions. The most obvious reasons tend to be respect and women. Whatever flatters women and keeps you in the good graces of other men is usually what appeals. For some brothers they think being a thug is the answer. In being a thug there are also concepts that come along with it. It is reasonable for one to believe that those of us who come from harsher more threatening environments embrace the thug persona as opposed to rejecting it. When you live in a neighborhood where your life is constantly threatened that stage of development is just as normal as developing reading and math skills. In institutions of higher learning however, that is not the case. Those of us who are here have come here to better ourselves. Not to say we are all saints but none of us are thugs. Smoking, drinking, cursing, or playing music doesn’t make you a thug. The true thugs lurk outside of the campus. The true thugs are the ones who weren’t fortunate enough to call college home. Although some of those people may still be our friends the fact that we are here and they are where they are is a true testament to the reality of both of our situations. I say that we leave the street persona to the streets and embrace the persona that we all are really striving for. That is to be successful individuals and being a thug doesn’t in any way help that cause. This problem seems to be more evident in institutions that have a majority black population as opposed to others. In all honesty it is not hard to see why. Most of us don’t have very positive male role models in our lives. Many of us grew up with idolizing people we couldn’t touch or even talk to such as athletes. Some of us even grew up idolizing people who were not good for us such as drug dealers and even real thugs. In spite of all those factors we find ourselves here. We find ourselves living a life that can open so many doors for us and others. Yet, some of us show our appreciation by embracing a life that is cold and dark, a life that cares nothing about our well-beings. We must wake up and realize that we are in college to better not only ourselves but the world. Furthermore, to hold on to anything or any lifestyle that posses opposition to achieving that goal is defeating our purpose in being here. We must wake up and realize that our existence here now is greater than the one we left behind, and if the thug life was really meant for us, we would not be here. We must learn to embrace our being and express ourselves not by the standards of the masses, but rather by those we feel are right not only for we ourselves, but for everyone.

I disagree with both not because I attend but because I strongly feel Morehouse is still that great beacon of light that gives the entire black community hope and guidance. My feelings on that are the reasons why I chose to attend Morehouse in the first place.

Its sort of like tought love. Every teacher cares about you and pushes you to the limits because they care. I have the numbers and emails of all of my professors and know each one of them to some degree or another. Students here are highly competitive but it pushes all of us to be great. Mays told us to be so good that no man living, dead, or ever to be bron can do it better. That is the foundation of our academics and our response to it will determine how high the elavators of our skyscrapers will go.

It is an HBCU in its truest sense. We have had speakers from Bill Cosby to Ray McGuire. Being at "The House" really allows chances we wouldnt have recieved elsewhere. To be good here there must be balance. Parties are a part of the experience but academics are the reason why you are here.

We are considered arrogant and the school has been rumored to be falling off from the days of King and Mays.

Morehouse College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.