Morehouse College Top Questions

Alfred

Id simply tell my self to stay focused and pursue a carreer path that wil make you happy. And be sure to make friends that will take you far and keep you on the right path. Succses never comes easy so be sure to study very hard and some nights will be hard and long but stick it trough and study hard.

Kyle

"Find your priorities and activites that you care about. Figure out how your academics tie into those acivities. Set a scedule to do all of them. Then do them. Be the you you said you'll be, be be him today." That would be the simplest way to summarize all the possible knowledge I've gained being in college. Time management is, has, and probably always will be my biggest struggle. I've finally had a breakthrough in college because I found organizations that I truly care about and goals I plan to reach. I see now how they line up with my academics and that is used as my motivating factor to be disciplined and act as I should. No longer do I let idle time be. Now I take advantage of nearly every moment to make sure that I am bettering myself and making sure that what I need to get done gets done, and what I want to do has its time as well.

Undra

The advice that I would give to my highschool self would be to study harder. Study as much as you can because the information you learn in high school you will use in college. Even after you graduate high school continue to study to try to be ahead because you will come across challenges in college. Be aware of everything thats going on in the world such as wars, politics, diseases, civil injustices, and advances in technology. This information is vital because once you are in college you are now your own person. You have to look out for yourself.

Donnie

I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, to stay focus, and never take education for granted. I realize that an education is the definitely the key to success.

Blake

I would advice myself to manage my time more efficiently by keeping a planner of all of my classes and extra-curricular activities. I would inform my high school self that in college you have more time during the day to get complete tasks. Unlike high school, you can rest between classes and leave to your room to retrieve books or whatever you forgot for class. I would tell myself to create a template of a planned out day, using all 24 hours. This includes a set amount of time and schedule for sleep, hygiene, class, eating, social time, homework and other activities. Following a planner organizes your day and prevents procrastination on homework, causing you to stay ahead, while reminding you when events are so you are always aware of what is going on. College students get distracted easily because they do not manage their time wisely, thus them “cramming” for exams and coming late to class. With a planner you will not worry about what you have to do because it is already written out for you. A planner will assist you to be very organized and a high-performing student who still enjoys the college life.

Dondrae

If given the opportunity to talk to my high school self, I would warn myself about the importance of applying for scholarships as early as possible. While I was a senior in high school, I lacked the enthusiam of preparing for college and instead spent the majority of time enjoying the festivities that arrive with being a high school senior. My lack of preperation and enthusiam resulted in me currently having to struggle to find creative ways to afford the ever growing cost of being a college student.

Nicholas

From an academic standpoint I would have tried to take more AP courses. I was not fully aware that getting fours and fives on the AP exams could exempt you from general educations courses in college. I would have also put in more effort in high school by writing more papers. In college you write a solid amount of papers each semester. As a freshman at Morehouse College, my papers were not the best. I am the type of person that likes to get ahead in classes so I would have began to study different topics in my major the summer previous to freshman year. I've always had a pretty good outlook on life so I wasn't nervous to leave home for school, but the one thing I had a problem with was time management. Finding that balance between your social and academic life is very important. College teaches you many things that you will use for the rest of your life: time management, priorities, discipline, and balance.

Jared

Dear Jared, As you prepare to graduate from Waddell High School and begin your matriculation through Morehouse College there are a few things to advise you about. First, do everything you can to get a 4.0 in the first and second semester. Don’t wait until you get into your major classes before you begin to take college seriously. Because your GPA will be cumulative over the course of the four years, it is imperative that you have a strong GPA in order to better position yourself for internship and job opportunities. Another thing that is essential to making the transition is researching and applying for every scholarship that you can possibly apply for. Don’t depend on your parents and students loans to cover all your costs. There will always be something else to pay for during your matriculation that a scholarship can assist in covering. Last but certainly not least, get involved on campus immediately! Getting involved in clubs and organizations is a great way to meet new people and network. You never know, getting involved could lead to job opportunities or even be a means by which you meet your future wife.

Ibrahiim

Take the AP classes more seriously so that you can put yourself ahead. Make sure that you research scholarships more around your ethnicity and state of residence. Become more social with administarors and other students so that you can build a strong image on the campus.

Joshua

The best advice I could give myself is to always work hard and go above what is expected. As a senior in high school, I did not always think long term. I only thought about the moment and not what I really needed to do in order to properly prepare myself for college. Not only, did I need to apply myself academically, but also prepare for the responsibilities that come with being in college. College Professors do not want to hear excuses as to why you did not accomplish something on time. They only want you to be successful in the classroom so they expect you to respect their time and timelines for completion of assignments. Additional advice I would give myself is talk to adults about their occupations. Do research so you can understand what job opportunities are available in the world. If you take the time early on, you will save yourself time and money in the future by knowing what you want to do!

Ismail

If I could go back into my senior year and tell myself something, it would be to not slack in Pre-Calculus and to tell myself to convince my French teacher to drop the grade that killed my GPA at the last minute, which subsequently lost me about $20,000 in an academic scholarship by .1 GPA points.

Daniel

When I had graduated from high school I asked friends that had gone to the same college I was going to what it was like. They said, "You can do what you want and your parents aren't there". After they told me that I made up in my mind that I was going to have fun; so I did. Now that my first semester is done with I have learned how to say no to partying all the time and chasing after girls. I learned that the true reason I came to college was to get an education and be able to take care of myself in this world. Females and parties will always be there. If I could go back the advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to focus and cut down on the partying and females because they'll always be there. Graduating on time is way more important.

Jordan

I would advise myself to establish a general, reachable goal and to not hesitate to achieve that goal. No matter what my objective may be, it is always good practice to assess my determination. My college experience so far has helped me realize that I am able to achieve anything I want to if I apply my self in a responsible way. Setting small goals for myself such as talking to my professors about grades and opportunities, joining a certain club, and performing community service are useful ways to stay productive. I noticed that I have developed a better capability of focusing by narrowing down my objectives each day. I would also advise myself to do everything with a self purpose in mind. In high school, I had maintained a habit of making choices in order to please my family, friends, and community. College has made me realize that disappointing others does not matter as much as disappointing myself. Therefore, I have made decisions that I know will benefit my persuit of a degree at Morehouse College. I have successfully learned to listen to myself before I let other people influence what I want to achieve.

Anthony

I would simply say this: Cherish the good times, stay strong during the bad times, ask for help as often as needed, and pay attention to all the details you come across. Remember why you are there and do not let anything or anyone deter your focus. Keep in touch with friends, family, and the Counseling Resource Center often!

Elliott

I am positive I would tell myself not to be afraid or shy about going to college. Morehouse is a big change from what I was used to at home, although it is the optimal environment for me to mature into an adult. I would tell myself that I should concentrate on learning in the classroom, but also try to venture out and explore things around campus. The things I have been exposed to have taught me more about the world as well as shed some light about myself that I was not aware of. The bottom line is that I would want myself as a high school senior to realize there is a great deal more he can become that will make the future even more lucrative.

Thomas

The advice that I would go back and give to myself would have to be that although you think Prep School is preparing you for college it is but you must realize that entering a college is much different. The atmosphere is much different and you will have to growup much faster than you think if you truly want to excel and have success from the beginning

Alvin

If I could talk to my old self as a high school senior, first I would for sure stress to apply for scholarships and grants as soon as possible. Once you get to college closing the gap between finances can be stressful, in some cases it could interfere with your academics. Second I would stress myself to do research on all of the universities that I planned or hoped to attend get to know what types of majors and programs they offer make sure that they fit my needs. Last but not least I would stress myself to know that college isnt like high school, courses can be touger, and I would reccomend taking some AP courses, so that it wouldnt be such a shock.

Leighton

I would have strongly encouraged myself to do even more scholarships! I had alot of time my senior year that could have been used preparing for the next step. College comes a myriad of emotions and experiences and the finiacial strain that I have seen people go through due to a lack of finances was really the one thing that hindered so many students from returning to the institution. Having done more scholarships would have allowed me to stay on campus and to have a meal plan throughout my education.

Alondra

After 13 years out of school before my first course, I finally decided to go back to school and finish my education. Although very exciting, being a student once again was very nerve racking for the first couple of classes. As the days, weeks, and months go by it has become easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The college experience has allowed me to get closer and closer to my career goal. My major is in criminal justice because I enjoy the idea of helping others and the community in which I live. I can now see myself as a finger print technician, crime scene response driver, or crime scene photographer. I am looking forward to learning everything I can about the criminal justice field; getting me that much closer to my dream career. Soon my goal will be fulfilled.

olivia

The most important thing I have gained out of my college experience has been insight into what I want to do in my future. When I began college I was undecided as to what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Once I began looking into the different choices I could make for a major and learned about the world around me, my career goals became more concrete and I knew what it was I wanted to do. The most valuable thing I gained from college was a more secure future for my daughter. By attending college and developing skills for a career, I have been able to ensure that she will be well provided for and have a better life and childhood than I had growing up.

Brandon

i learn great people skill and how to handle myself when face with different brands of people

William

I have gotten that college is a huge delay of gratification and is worth every second. All of the myths and stories that I heard about college as a high school student were true and college truly is what one makes of it. To be successful takes persistence, perserverance, and planning and with that I believe anyone could get the most out of college.

Christian

So far, I've gone from an immature boy to a dedicated and hard working man. Criminal Justice doesn't just require attendance, it requires hard discipline. Everything from the way we speak, to the way we present ourselves makes it evident to everyone around us that the program is no joke. We address everyone, no matter what age, as "Sir" or "Ma'm". Simply because it is the respectful thing to do, which is something society is lacking now a days. The program at SJVC has been valuable to me, because not only do i have a newfound respect for the people and law officials around me, but I now have a newfound respect for myself.

Joshua

In order to become a Registered Nurse, one must learn about the human body and mind. The course of study I selected is required by San Diego City College. I believe it to be a thorough course that will easily meet my needs. I have chosen American Sign Language as my second language for three reasons:I took it in high school so I am already familiar with the basics; I believe it will be beneficial to my future employer and patients, and last but not least, I simply enjoy signing. As time permits, I intend to learn Spanish as well to further my ability to communicate with others. The requirements for Registered Nurses are pretty straight-forward. The State of California as well as the college, has set a criteria for which I intend to follow. I want to insure I am knowledgeable and well educated to perform the many duties required of an R.N. In order to achieve my career goal, this is the course of study I must complete.

Katelin

What I have gotten out of my college experience was invaluable. I learned what it was like to live independently and be responsible for my own decisions. I learned how to solve real every day problems and how to manage stress. It was like being able to ride the bike of adulthood with training wheels. Although I did not get a job in the industry of my education, I felt that what I learned would prepare me for a job in the fashion design industry. I was not able to stay or reside in areas that were hiring for my education level, so I needed to look at another career that would allow me to continue designing independently, living in my area. It is very important to choose a career that will work for you in a good or poor economy, something that you can see yourself doing day in and day out. Listen to yourself: your head and your heart.

Desiree

During my attendance at Anoka Ramsey Community College, I have discovered many things about myself. I have discovered that the world is much, much bigger than Cambridge, Minnesota. This discovery has made me want to explore and learn more. I have discovered that there are many different kinds of people and at a college the one thing that unites all these people is the common goal: to succeed in life and becoming successful through higher education. I have never been around so many people that have the same goal as myself, and it was quite nice! I have changed by major from nursing to education to student development/college counseling and back to nursing again. Being at college has secured my decision in becoming a nurse and took out all of the doubts I had about it. Attending college has broadened my mind and I feel good about being educated. Being educated is something that I value highly. My college experience isn't even close to being over yet, but so far, it has been quite the journey and I am excited to keep this long journey going.

Donarell

I've gained a since of focus. This is valuable because it motivates me to complete my goals. It gives me the the drive and the determenation.

Irvin

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell" is a quote by Aldous Huxley that I muttered after recieving the last of my freshman year grades. I was put on academic probation and stripped of what little dignity I had left as a college student. I was a very ambitious student in high school, and even after Hurricane Katrina devastated my city of New Orleans, I continued to do well. After graduating with a 3.6 and in multiple clubs and societies, I chose Morehouse College as the institution of undergraduate studies. After a year of studying under incompetent professors (one of which who didn't even bother to show up to the final exam), my GPA was as low as my self-confidence. The most important aspect that i've gotten out of my college experience is that nothing comes easy in life, and nothing is simply handed to anyone for free. With desire and motivation, anything is possible. Even though I have made many mistakes in college myself, I understand that it is not too late to change my situation. College so far has been a great learning experience that has helped me grow both mentally and spiritually.

David

I have finish High School and an Associates degree in Web Graphic design and I will like to continue with my studying to get my Batch lords degree. The experience of these has being valuable to me, because it gave me a preview of what collage is like.

Travis

Thur my collge experience I have learned how to take care of myself. I have learned how to pay bills, grocery shop, and live on my own. I have recieved a better understanding on the world and how the world works. I have become more socially concousiness. My college experiance has provided me with the blueprint to how I will live my life. I have been presented with so much knowledge that I feell lucky and blessed to have the oppuninty for a college experiance at Morehouse College.

Landy

College experience is one of a kind. I was first introduced to college from my senior year in High School back in 2008. I was a duell enrollment student and from then on i have loved college. I feel it can better somebody mentally and physically. It gives you a self-esteem boost that you sometimes need and it keeps you thinking and constantly on the move. Everybody needs to experiance the college life. You meet new people and have a chance to better yourself and get ready for a hopefull and rewarding career. College has made me a better person, made me feel good about myself feeling as if I was becoming somebody and doing something so I could be proud of myself and make others proud of me. College is the way to go and is very rewarding.

Ryan

College has opened my eyes to whole different light that i never knew existed. Not only learning in a field, that draws me but also meeting indivuals with different backgrounds. Not only my professors but also fellow students have made a impact on my life. With all these wonderful ideas and ways of life, has made me a well roundeded person. So, learning, growing into the man i m suppose to be and making a career for myself, are just a few things that i have got and learn to valuable at college.

Up to this time I have taken a few classes and have not finished. I am now enrolled isn a 2 year program because in my feild I need a degree to get work. I should have done this years ago.

Damian

My experiance here at morehouse, i have learned a sense of cultural pride and unity. As well as being well rounded,it is expected that a man of Morehouse is well spoken,traveled and dressed.

I am going to the Art Institution of Pittsburgh for Graphic Design. Being in college is making me open up my eyes and see the world how it is. I am craving more and more each day for all the knowledge I have been getting. I am scared to say that I might not be able to go on with my education after my associates degree do to funding. I am looking for more exting things in my life and wish they will not end.

Patrick

The best advice i could myself if i went back in time would be time management. It is the most important thing about college, you have to know when to study and when to play, when to do homework and when to go out with your friends. If your time management is poor, it can lead to failure in class because you will have an uneven balance of the two lives in college. You must be able to balance the school life and the social life, and you always want to have your school in front but u have to have a very social life in order to keep you balance in school and keep you from crazy. i would tell myself about the pitfalls that come with college and managing your time correctly because if it is played with it can hurt your college sucess in a major way.

Chaka

It is very important to have an idea of what your strengths are and where you want to be in life as an adult. As a high school senior, you may not have a concrete idea of where you want to be in the future but take the time to find out what your strengths are - what you enjoy doing that can earn you the money and recognition that you would like to get based on the things you would want to accomplish in life. With this knowledge of your strengths, do the research on which college or university offers the courses that can help achieve your career goals and then apply to them. Keep your grades high in school so that you can then get into the college of your choice. Be sure to always respect your parents or those that raised you because you are always their pride and joy. Always let them know how much you love and respect them by doing what they have asked of you and exceeding their expectations. Always keep these pieces of advice in front of you and you will never fail in life. Finally, take time to learn from your experiences.

Twyla

Make a decision about your major and stick with it. Constantly changing majors slows you down far more than majoring in "the wrong field." Any undergraduate degree will help your future, and as long as you do not choose an area that you find uninteresting, it will be well-worth your time. Also, I know that you have a strong idea about what the next 50 years will probably bring, but life is always confusing and full of the unexpected obstacles. Make the best decisions you can for today and let the future you make the best choices she can in that future time Not only do you need to be willing to learn every day, but please search for something to learn each morning. Just because it is easy to study now, do not assume that knowledge will always come easily. Put in the effort to remember the material beyond the tests. It will help you in future situations and courses as well. Friends come and go, but you are always with your thoughts and God.

LeDarius

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take more challenging classes. I would have also told myself to spend more time studying rather than socializing with friends. Another point I would have mentioned is to apply for scholarships and financial aid early and take the ACT or SAT more times than I did. I would have also told myself to do get in the habit of doing community service projects and mentoring.

Kyle

Undoubtedly, the skinny, 17 year old Kyle Jacob would be ecstatic to see a slightly taller Kyle Jacob who looks much older due to the stress of his first semester at Morehouse College. He would be excited that in nine months, his tufts of chin hair would evolve into a full beard that needed constant shaving. Im almost certain he would have many questions I couldnt answer, 18 year old Kyle has many priorities at Morehouse and little time to waste. "Listen closely", I would tell him, although I wouldnt need to, even the Kyle of today listens intently to a man trying to educate. "Focus" I would say. In highschool, many things deterred my focus as a student. With my 20/20 view on the past, I would break down our vices; girls, television and facebook. He would learn that by reducing the time spent on these things, it would clear up his schedule for more productive purposes, like scholarships. I would let him know that know that Morehouse is struggling financially and even if he did well, there was no guarantee that the school would be able to aid him financially. "Do scholarships for an hour a day".

Endra

First off, begin narrowing down your college choices. Consider important things like if they have your major, number of students who get a job six months after graduating, teacher to student ratio, internship opportunuties, scholarships given,etc. As you will see, all these things matter to help benefit you in the long run. Not if its a party school or if your friends and girlfriends are going there. Secondly, start doing more with your self so you will be adapted by the time college comes around. Do community service, start your own programs, get a job and save up for college, or get into some school clubs and organizations. These things will help you learn about time management in college which is a big plus if you know a thing or two about. They also will look good on your application when applying for college. Colleges do not just look at your grades, but they also see if you were involved and doing positive activities in your free time. Lastly, take a little time out of each and every day to fill out scholarships online. There are so many scholarships out there for all students not to do this.

Kevin

Kevin, do you remember the many conversations we had in 2007 about going to college? The transition from high school to college is not easy, and although you are a star athlete, and a good student, college is going to be a lot more demanding of your time. I suggest you learn the principles of time management, improve your study habits, and most important, improve your writing skills. You have great social skills, but all play and a little bit of work will not get you through that first year at Morehouse. Get your resume done, take a couple of challenging classes this year, and get involved in community service. The good times and the girls will come if you take care of your business first. Talk to Terrence, he just finished his first year at "The House." It is all about taking the initiative , treating your school like a business, and developing a relationship and rapport with your teachers. Most important, STUDY.....READ.....STUDY....and STUDY! Kevin, you have all the potential in the world. It is time to untap that potential and convert it to the greatest success story ever. Kevin A. Jones...Deans list, Morehouse College! Yeah!

JAMEL

prepair yourself.

Adrian

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would encourage myself to have worked harder in all classes to boost GPA and apply for more scholarships, and be a more proactive person in the transition from high school to college; this would include, following through with financial aid and being aware of financial obligations, as well as understanding class transfer credits. Knowing the limitations placed on time and constraints of scheduling, I would inform myself that there is a lot of class time that I could have skipped and explain to myself the advantages of starting ahead of most incoming students. I also became involved with Japanese foreign language this fall semester and if I had the chance to go back and talk to myself I would encourage taking another Japanese course, and studying during the summer so that I could have started the class on a higher level. Overall my advice would help me get ahead of the ?game? and make the transition from high school to college much easier. But I say this knowing that all I have gone through has been a learning experience and I appreciate all of my experiences.

Timothy

Timothy continue what you are doing right, because you are headed to one of the finest school's in the country. You will be walking and eating on the same campus Martin Luther King did. The school will prepare you to be a renaissance man.

Tre'vell

DON'T SLACK OFF! Yes, I know it's senior year and your ready to graduate, but it's not over until it's over. People always say that college's look at your junior year primarily to determine whether you're in or out. While this may be true, they look at your senior year to decide if you get any institutional scholarships. Listen to me, if you slack off, you will be using your freshman year in college taking out numerous loans and frantically searching for scholarships to do. But if you set yourself up now in a way in which the college of your choice cannot refuse you and MUST give you money, you are set.

Curtis

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I believe I would congratulate myself and teachers for preparing me to succeed in college. As I know go through my second semester of College I believe that I made a very smooth transition. In high school the main attributes I acquired that prove successful in college is good work ethic, time management, perseverance, independence, and most importantly the ability to have fun. Without fun the rest of those things will not work efficiently. Without fun comes stress, lack of time management, and other factors that are not beneficial to the college experience. So if I had to go back I would tell myself above all, to keep doing what you are doing. And also I would say "never forget how to have fun, because when you do, you will forget how to succeed."

Quentin

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to attend the school I always wanted to attend ? Howard University. By attending Howard University, my parents would have not struggled financially, and neither would have I. If ever there were a time when I had no roof over my head, such as now, I would have been close to home and able to use my resources to my advantage. I would have advised myself to save money from previous job experiences to cover the costs of textbooks and other needed materials not included in tuition costs. Most importantly, I would have advised myself to fill out more scholarship applications with conviction, having faith that my current financial situation would not be harming my pursuit of further education. By advising myself to take scholarship applications more seriously, my chance of receiving financial awards would increase early in my college experience. Advising more initiative in filling out scholarship applications serve as building the foundation of a strong financial structure in college.

Jarred

I would definitely make geographical location and surroundings, campus size, and population important factors to consider. Though we sometimes choose colleges based on financial assistance, the 4 or 5 college years are an important transitional stage in our lives, and we should be as comfortable in our enviornment as possible. For many of us, it is our first experience away from home without parental supervision or advicce an earshot away. Socially, I have always been comfortable with who I am and the choices I make morally, so I would say to stay true to that person. Consciously work on personal growth. Have fun, but do not succumb to peer pressure just because you are "on your own". Remember to set short term goals so you can see steady growth academically, socially and in personal maturation over these college years. I definitely recommend getting help from teachers, tutors or study groups as soon as you find yourself struggling in a class. You may want to take on the challenge yourself, thinking "I got this", but it will only hurt you in the long run. Use everything your campus has to offer. Embrace this once in a lifetime experience!

Kristofer

If I were to travel back in time, I would tell myself to search for scholarships, network, and continue to do well in school. Because of my economic background and the high expenses of college, I am not eligible for federal aid. I would tell myself to talk to the right people in order to receive more funding.