Flint, MI
Mott Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mott Community College

dayna

Dear High School Senior Dayna, Hey girl, I have some advice for you form the future. College is fun and you are doing really well. Everything is going just as you planned academic wise but your work load is getting kind of high. You are working 30-35 hours a week while taking on a 15 credit semester. It?s a lot to handle and you are doing okay but you don't have a lot of free time. So here is my advice for you, apply for as many scholarships as you can! That $4000 Michigan Promise Scholar you got, don't use it, they are going to take it away. Don't pay for college; let all those scholarships out there pay for your college. Life would be so much better if you didn't have to work so much. Even your friends are starting to bug you because you are always working. I know you?re not even thinking about how you?re going to pay for college. Think about it, college is going to pay for itself; someone has to pay for it. Don?t let that person be you. Sincerely, College Freshman Dayna

Before attending Mott Community College I wish I would have know more about scholarships and finical aid. I only had one scholarship when I started my freshman year, the Michigan Promise, which was taken away. Because this scholarship was taken away I now have to try and repay the thousand dollars I used during my first semester while paying my current semesters tuition. I have to work very hard to work 30-35 hours a week while attending school full time. I wish I would have know how much work it was really going to be.

The most frustrating thing about Mott is the students who get paid to go to college and don?t go. These students sign up for their classes and go for the first couple weeks then they get their check from the government. About $1500 goes towards their tuition and the rest goes straight into their pockets. Most of these students stop attending class once they get their check. The students who do this really frustrate me because there are students how work hard pay for their college on their own and are struggling, and they just get a free pass.

Chad

If I could go back in time and give advise to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to buckle down and spend more time studying. Especially the basics that would help to do good on the entrance exams at college. If I could have done better on the entrance exams, I could have saved some time and money by skipping the basic classes I am now required to take before I can begin classes in my program of choice. That is the advise I would give myself if I could go back in time with what I know now.

The parking situation at my college is terrible. You have to pay to park, which becomes very expensive after a while. Or in order to get free parking you have to get to school very early, or with enough time to wait for someone to leave.

The type of person who should not attend this school is a person who thinks they can continue to act like a high school student. This is a college, and students are here to learn and move on to their choosen careers, and should not have to put up with disruptive people.

Unique, not the typical "Miami J. Crew U" stereotype. They are fun, just like me, but different in their own special ways. They are also people to look to for help with schoolwork and a blast to hang out with on the weekends.

Be open to every person you meet. Even if they don't look like someone you would normally hang out with, they can surprise you and end up being your personality twin! Do what you want to do with your college experience, not whatever someone else wants you to do. If you don't want to be a part of the whole drinking scene, don't do it. There are plenty of other things to do on campus! Get involved in something, whether it be a sport, a club, or a job, and meet new people. Try and eat healthy too, that fried food can catch up to you! And don't sacrifice comfort for fashion. Everyone has their own style here! You don't have to fit a certain mold. And you're going to have to work hard, but as long as you keep up with the work you'll be fine!

That you didn't have to have the "J. Crew U" preppy style. There are plenty of other people who have their own style. It's okay to be yourself here.

Briana

The most talented, diverse student body in the area.

The most talented, diverse student body in the area.

One thing thats unique about my school is that there our art program is pretty darn good. U of M Flint actually send there students to our school for the art programs. Even though were only a community college we have a strong group of instructors and creative and extremely talented students.

If I could go back in some time machine I would totally give me a lecture about some serious stuff and allot of trivial but important info. One thing I would DEFIANTLY stress was to get my butt in gear and fill out all of the scholarships I can until my hand falls off. Another thing id tell myself is to stop loosing things especially my ID card because paying five dollars every time you loose it is a pain. Pizza or Id?... ill take the pizza. Don't worry what you wear when u walk to class because lets face it when it comes down to frost bit toes in some awesome flats or healthy feet and snow boots I'm going to go with that. My last words would be do all your work, there will always be parties, keep your stuff in check and scholarships equal free cash and college equals expensive so keep it up!

Zachery

My school is a small and individual oriented school where the facility's goal is for the student to succeed.

High school is a joke. It's a joke because after it's over, then, you realize that everything is different. The things you thought were stupid, you realize were the most important things. High school is one of the few places where people are willing to give you something for free so that you can use it to benefit for the rest of your life. Do not take that for granted. Get your priorities straight. Do your homework and study hard. Try your best everyday and in everything you do. If you do that, not only will college be easier, but the rest of you life will be better.

People that don't think they are ready for the life of huge class sizes should go to Mott because they, as a student, will be able to recieve more one on one time with the teacher.

Kenneth

At the present the semester has not began, however my previous classmates were the most mysterious yet sincere individuals ever met.

While serving time at The Charles Egler Facility, State of Michigan, Penal Institution, I was offered the oppurtunity to attend a internal extention program from Spring Arbor College. The oppurtunity rendered allowed me to gain the education that I never would have been able to obtain, and equipped me to re-enter free society with a plan of action, and knowledge that otherwise would not have been available to me. We went to school at the prison, and the instructors came in through armed gaurds, and barded wire to educate us. Now I'm attending school as a free man.

Knowing how precious life is today, and how I had taken for granted the days of my youth, and wasted my high school years, and repeated classes by making poor decisions and associating with the wrong crowds, I would take the time to talk to myself as a high school senior and remind myself that the decisions you make today willl impact your life forever. There are people in place to help give you advice and assist you with making the right decisions, such as Academic Advisors, Financial Advisors, who can steer you in the right direction and secure the right classes, so that you wouldn't have to stumble at wasteing time and dropping classes that will result in poor grades, or no grade on your transcripts. Knowing now that my love for music, theatre, and the arts is so important to my career, I would advise young Kenneth to take full advantage of the career planning processes offered through student counselors in order to develop a clear path and gain the technical knowledge and experience needed to further my career goals. Which would have been to become a recording artist and later a Video/Audeo Producer.

I would have to say everyone is allowed to have a fresh start at Mott. No matter who or what you are there is always a place for you at Mott. Something that is huge at our school is the Men's Basketball team. Many people come out to watch the electricflying non stop action of our boys playing basketball.

I would make sure I had enough time to plan ahead. I was lost and scared when I came to Mott. But I would encourage myself to work hard and be prepared for the future. I would also push myself to find a job so it would be easier on my family. Driving 45 miles one way hurts your pocket. I understand its only a 2 year school but its still a big transition from Capac to Flint.

I do brag that it is different compared to the school where I live. Most of my friends attended St. Clair community college but I decided to go the other direction. It seems like Mott is different compared to others. Our Men's Basketball team is nationally ranked and is very exciting to watch. Our sport programs are very deicated and treat their athletes very good. I'm an ex softball player and played 2 years for Mott. I love it.

Gloria

My school is best known for it great athletic department and it's newest restuarant on campus the Bear Bistro. Mott's men and women's basketball are returning champions.

Low tutition, friendly faulty and staff, and ideal location are just a few reasons Mott Comm. College stands out among other colleges. I'm close to family and friends and just minutes away from my job. Lower tutition compared to other colleges helps me to afford going to school. I enjoy getting to know my professors personally. They not only help me in class with school work, they talk to me outside of class about other things and are always available by email or phone.

Wow! What a great question! If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I'd say is, "Stay focused on your ultimate goal of graduating from college. " I'd also be sure to tell myself to set smaller goals and make a schedule not only of special occasions but also to keep track of my progress of these smaller goals. To schedule frequent study time for better grades but to also make time for fun so you don't get burned out would be another thing I'd tell my high school self. I'd say, "These next years are supposed to be the best time of your life, just know that your college years will be what you make them. Knowing what I know now I'd tell my high school self not to forgot to call home often because your family will miss you.

Joshua

My classmates are young and seemingly mostly unmotivated to complete college.

My classmates are young and seemingly mostly unmotivated to complete college.

I would have to give myself the advice to enroll and plan on going to a community college even if I have a college picked out and already plan on going there because it's best to have a backup plan and it's also saves a lot of money. Another advantage is I get a feel for what college is and can take a little more time picking out a 4 year institution based on the classes I have taken at the community college.

The most frustrating part has to be the long waits for financial aid and registration. No matter how early or how late you register, you always have to wait at least 2 hours before you can be seen for just a few minutes. You're not allowed to schedule an appointment either.

James

The attitudes, educational aspirations, beliefs, motivations, and social situations of the students I attend class with are as varied as their genetic structure, and thus cannot be adequately summarized in less than a hundred words.

This is a classic time-travel paradox. Assuming that I could in fact travel into the past and hand down a few pearls of wisdom to my past self in order to make my college experience go a little more smoothly, and also assuming that my past self actually heeded my words, then it would in effect change my past self?s future and my present self?s past. While this initially doesn?t seem like a big deal, this change in my past would cause me to tell myself something completely different when my past self goes back in time (in my past self?s future). In short, if I had the opportunity to go back in time I surely wouldn?t interfere with my past self. I would probably just go see Miles Davis in concert at Birdland. You can?t change the past. The knowledge gained though personal experiences are infinitely more important than advice given. They are the essence of our being. Treasure the self you are now, and forget the self that could have been.

am not inclined to brag about my educational institution but in the spirit of this survey, I would most likely "brag" about the fiscal benefits of attending a community college such as my own.

Mott Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.