Mott Community College

« See more reviews of Mott Community College

Dear High School Senior Dayna, Hey girl, I have some advice for you form the future. College is fun and you are doing really well. Everything is going just as you planned academic wise but your work load is getting kind of high. You are working 30-35 hours a week while taking on a 15 credit semester. It?s a lot to handle and you are doing okay but you don't have a lot of free time. So here is my advice for you, apply for as many scholarships as you can! That $4000 Michigan Promise Scholar you got, don't use it, they are going to take it away. Don't pay for college; let all those scholarships out there pay for your college. Life would be so much better if you didn't have to work so much. Even your friends are starting to bug you because you are always working. I know you?re not even thinking about how you?re going to pay for college. Think about it, college is going to pay for itself; someone has to pay for it. Don?t let that person be you. Sincerely, College Freshman Dayna

Knowing how precious life is today, and how I had taken for granted the days of my youth, and wasted my high school years, and repeated classes by making poor decisions and associating with the wrong crowds, I would take the time to talk to myself as a high school senior and remind myself that the decisions you make today willl impact your life forever. There are people in place to help give you advice and assist you with making the right decisions, such as Academic Advisors, Financial Advisors, who can steer you in the right direction and secure the right classes, so that you wouldn't have to stumble at wasteing time and dropping classes that will result in poor grades, or no grade on your transcripts. Knowing now that my love for music, theatre, and the arts is so important to my career, I would advise young Kenneth to take full advantage of the career planning processes offered through student counselors in order to develop a clear path and gain the technical knowledge and experience needed to further my career goals. Which would have been to become a recording artist and later a Video/Audeo Producer.

College has taught me how to juggle taking 13 units, working, having a boyfriend, maitenancing a car with 102,000 miles on it, and keeping in touch with my friends. College has taught me that you can't always get it all done and that you must prioritize. I have matured so much since I started attending college. I used to worry about what I looked like and whether or not boys paid attention to me. Those things don't matter, but I didn't realize it at the time because I was so self-conscious and concerned about my social status. If someone had told me that once you get to college, no one cares about whether you're a popular cheerleader or a geek that eats lunch by yourself, I would have enjoyed high school a lot more. I would have had the confidence to meet more people and participate in activities. College has also taught me how to think for myself. My teachers have brought up thought-provoking questions that made me question my values and upbringing. I'm glad that I'm going to college because I know that it will make me a whole person.

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, i would have suprisingly first said to be more punctual. People are on time or early when they are serious about something, and you need to be serious about college. In college you cannot get by with taking half useful notes and asking your friends for answers. College is about you and it is all on you, its all on you to transition and make it work for you to make yourself a better person, and to grow as a member of the community. I would also tell myself to stay on top of homework, and attend every class. You never know when you can miss something important that you may never hear again. Also, thorough notes and flashcards will help you in the long run, trust me. And daydreaming in class wont get you anywhere except confused and behind, in college its not funny to not pay attention. The people sitting next to you do not think its funny either. But most of all, i would tell myself to have fun! College isnt all bookwork and late night cram sessions! Have some fun!

My senior year of high school had only one meaning to me, freedom. It was not having a curfew, not listening to my parents, or anyone else. Looking back I wish I had listened to those people that said it was just the beginning. Like so many others I slacked off my freshman year and eventually got kicked out. After taking some time off and figuring out my goals that today if I could go back I would change everything. I would tell myself that college isn?t a party it?s about learning and expanding your goals in life. Save your money things get expensive when you?re the only one paying for college, and getting financial aid is hard when your parents make too much. Try not to buy books at the book store, look around for books from other students and online. Most of all I would tell myself not to get overwhelmed, have fun and learn what you can don?t get discouraged. So much advice that I know I wouldn?t have listen to because I was the young and ignorant girl looking for that freedom that I now know is found within your knowledge.

If I can go back in time as a senior in high school, I would have sat myself down and listen very closely. The first thing I would say to myself is that the government will not pay for your education and listen to the teachers that tries to convince on going to a local community college. The journey on getting your bachelors could've been shorter and saving a lot of money on the way. You will go to two different school before recieving your Assoicate degree in 2008. Even though, you will seem behind from your peers that has recieved their Bachelors degree. The important part is not what age you recieved it but the journey of hard work that means a lot more than not working hard for it. Find a school that is a reasonable price and cherish the education you get from it even though it wasn't your first choice of a school that you wanted to go too. I would advice you not to go to Iowa State because you would ended up not getting the loan for a second year and another year of disappointment. Overall, do not give up!

The best advice I could give myself as a High School Senior would be GO TO COLLEGE! Don't listen to all those nay sayers saying you do not need a college education. Because today you do need that college education. Every job worth having requires a degree and for higher jobs requires a Bachlors degree. Companies way of weeding job applicants for just having a piece of paper. There are so many more oppurtunities for just having that piece of paper from a University. Do whatever it takes to get that paper. I promise you it will be worth it in the end. Don't take time off between Senior year in High School and Freshman in College. Continue on with your education like it is expected of you to get the piece of paper. It doesnt matter if you get a degree in Childhood Development or Hotel Management. Because you could be a Pharmacetuical Represenative with those degrees. All because of that piece of paper that says Bachelors Degree. YOU CAN DO IT, DON'T LET ANYONE STOP YOU, INCLUDING YOURSELF!

Assuming that i could go back in time, that i could become what i was before this year, I would work even harder in high school. I went through my senior year with straight A's. I maintained a 4.0 and it felt good, i took hard classes, but i should have taken more english classes. English has never been my strong point. I can do calculus, but english came with more of a struggle. I worked very hard for a good grade, but i shouldv'e taken more of the classes for practice for when i got into college. I always assumed that i wouldn't have to write many papers because i wanted to be a math professor when i grow up. I still want to be a professor when i grow up but now i see that i still have to write many papers. Another thing i would do if i were back in high school would be to fill out more scholarships. i filled out many essays and never heard back, so eventually i started applying less. i shouldv'e applied because i'm third of six children so its hard to pay for college.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself two important things. The first will be to get started on my college things much sooner. If I would have did my fasfa earlier, and took the time out to do other scholarships and/or grants I wouldn?t had to go through the things that I went through in 2008. If I knew I was going to have so much trouble with my financial aid I would have went to Mott or teachers from high school to get it done correctly and quicker. After I graduated in I thought everything was in order for me to start college.. The second will have to be wait to have a baby. Both of these reasons are why I couldn?t attend college. I wanted to take the year off to have my son, but even if I didn?t get pregnant I was still going to have to take time off to get everything situated with the financial aid process. There are a lot of things that I wish I could have done different it just to bad I really cant go back in time to start everything over.

This is a classic time-travel paradox. Assuming that I could in fact travel into the past and hand down a few pearls of wisdom to my past self in order to make my college experience go a little more smoothly, and also assuming that my past self actually heeded my words, then it would in effect change my past self?s future and my present self?s past. While this initially doesn?t seem like a big deal, this change in my past would cause me to tell myself something completely different when my past self goes back in time (in my past self?s future). In short, if I had the opportunity to go back in time I surely wouldn?t interfere with my past self. I would probably just go see Miles Davis in concert at Birdland. You can?t change the past. The knowledge gained though personal experiences are infinitely more important than advice given. They are the essence of our being. Treasure the self you are now, and forget the self that could have been.