Mott Community College Top Questions

The best advice I could give myself as a High School Senior would be GO TO COLLEGE! Don't listen to all those nay sayers saying you do not need a college education. Because today you do need that college education. Every job worth having requires a degree and for higher jobs requires a Bachlors degree. Companies way of weeding job applicants for just having a piece of paper. There are so many more oppurtunities for just having that piece of paper from a University. Do whatever it takes to get that paper. I promise you it will be worth it in the end. Don't take time off between Senior year in High School and Freshman in College. Continue on with your education like it is expected of you to get the piece of paper. It doesnt matter if you get a degree in Childhood Development or Hotel Management. Because you could be a Pharmacetuical Represenative with those degrees. All because of that piece of paper that says Bachelors Degree. YOU CAN DO IT, DON'T LET ANYONE STOP YOU, INCLUDING YOURSELF!

This is my senior year, as much as I would like to get out and move on to college, I need to realize that these next few months are all I have of what seems to be freedom. Right now life is easy because I only have to drive 6 miles to school, easy homework and my friends to share laughs with. I have no stress of a job or paying bills, it's all easy. Sure there are some days that people get on my nerves and start silly rumors but they're just doing that to get a reaction out of me. Keep your head up and smile as you pass them because your smile is making you stronger, which is the opposite of what they want. As graduation comes, stay close to your friends because these are going to be the last weeks you see many of these faces.

Deborah

When I graduated from high school in 1987, I wanted to go into graphic design. However, none of the local colleges offered that program. Because I wanted to stay close to home, I attended UofM-Flint and graduated with a BS in mathematics. Twenty-four years later, I am back in school, this time at Mott Community College, persuing an associates degree in photography. What advise would I give myself if I could go back to 1987? Pursue your dreams. Don't give up every time a door is shut. Find the resources and help to go for what you want.

Dawn

I have received valuable knowledge and the ability to stay focused and successful. I was worried going back to school at 29 would be difficult; however, I have learned that I am still capable of succeeding. It has been valuable to attend because my children look up to me now as their roll model.

College has taught me how to juggle taking 13 units, working, having a boyfriend, maitenancing a car with 102,000 miles on it, and keeping in touch with my friends. College has taught me that you can't always get it all done and that you must prioritize. I have matured so much since I started attending college. I used to worry about what I looked like and whether or not boys paid attention to me. Those things don't matter, but I didn't realize it at the time because I was so self-conscious and concerned about my social status. If someone had told me that once you get to college, no one cares about whether you're a popular cheerleader or a geek that eats lunch by yourself, I would have enjoyed high school a lot more. I would have had the confidence to meet more people and participate in activities. College has also taught me how to think for myself. My teachers have brought up thought-provoking questions that made me question my values and upbringing. I'm glad that I'm going to college because I know that it will make me a whole person.

I have gotten a lot out of it, i found out alot of people are not your friends . Study Study Study!!! No playing games !!!! Stay away from a lot of people that don't benfit you . Talk to your teachers when ever u have free time to see how your doing in that class. Don't be afread to ask questions!!! Make a study group if you can . If your having probles in one of your classies and your teachers are no help i know you can find a tutor that can help you in that subject. Why has it been valuable to attend ...to help me become a better person that i am today. It helped me to beecome more better skilled in the field that i would like to work in . Also it helped me to become a more better people person!

SeQouia

As I look back on all of the things that I wish i could go back and do over, being a high school senior, is the number one thing on my list. When completing my senior year of high school the only thing that was on my mind was, walking across that stage. Now that I am a college sophmore, I only wish that I would have included my future. If I could go back, I would tell myself, "make sure that you give yourself options". The reason i would say those exact words is because, I never really considered other colleges nor did I even apply to other colleges. I also procrastinated to apply for financial aid and to the college that I attend. If i would have applied myself I would be attending a college of my dreams possibly but I never will know for sure. Always give yourself options, never limit yourself.

Bethani

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself, "Get out there and make some friends. Cement those new relationships. It's easy to regret actions not taken, and you won't die if you put yourself out there and get shot down. It's always better to know that there are people who you can rely on for help, and who trust you enough to ask for your help, as well. Have confidence, and people will be drawn to you. Help others, and they will not hesitate to return the favor."

Assuming that i could go back in time, that i could become what i was before this year, I would work even harder in high school. I went through my senior year with straight A's. I maintained a 4.0 and it felt good, i took hard classes, but i should have taken more english classes. English has never been my strong point. I can do calculus, but english came with more of a struggle. I worked very hard for a good grade, but i shouldv'e taken more of the classes for practice for when i got into college. I always assumed that i wouldn't have to write many papers because i wanted to be a math professor when i grow up. I still want to be a professor when i grow up but now i see that i still have to write many papers. Another thing i would do if i were back in high school would be to fill out more scholarships. i filled out many essays and never heard back, so eventually i started applying less. i shouldv'e applied because i'm third of six children so its hard to pay for college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I could have avoided alot of mistakes. I would advise myself to always be organized. I would explain to myself the impotance of reading ahead in order to be better prepared for the upcoming class. I would tell myself to always ask a question if their was anything that I was unsure about or failed to understand. I would remind myself to always stay focused on the big picture. I would tell myself to make a list of goals, starting with the short term and ending with were I would like to be in ten years. I would say have fun but also be aware of the company you keep, maintain wise counsel and always strive to be the best that you can be. There is no failure when you have giving all that you have to give. Learn from your mistakes for experience is always the best teacher. I would say with a stern voice "stay humble, work hard, and success will manifest itself".

Sirena

If I could go back in time I would tell myself two important things. The first will be to get started on my college things much sooner. If I would have did my fasfa earlier, and took the time out to do other scholarships and/or grants I wouldn?t had to go through the things that I went through in 2008. If I knew I was going to have so much trouble with my financial aid I would have went to Mott or teachers from high school to get it done correctly and quicker. After I graduated in I thought everything was in order for me to start college.. The second will have to be wait to have a baby. Both of these reasons are why I couldn?t attend college. I wanted to take the year off to have my son, but even if I didn?t get pregnant I was still going to have to take time off to get everything situated with the financial aid process. There are a lot of things that I wish I could have done different it just to bad I really cant go back in time to start everything over.

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, i would have suprisingly first said to be more punctual. People are on time or early when they are serious about something, and you need to be serious about college. In college you cannot get by with taking half useful notes and asking your friends for answers. College is about you and it is all on you, its all on you to transition and make it work for you to make yourself a better person, and to grow as a member of the community. I would also tell myself to stay on top of homework, and attend every class. You never know when you can miss something important that you may never hear again. Also, thorough notes and flashcards will help you in the long run, trust me. And daydreaming in class wont get you anywhere except confused and behind, in college its not funny to not pay attention. The people sitting next to you do not think its funny either. But most of all, i would tell myself to have fun! College isnt all bookwork and late night cram sessions! Have some fun!

If I could go back and give myself some advice it would be to take every class serious. Make sure to do ALL of your work and turn it in on the due date or even before. If your having trouble in a class then ask the teacher and students for some help. I would say to talk with the guidance counselor on a regular basis to determine if you are on the right track. Make sure you are preparing yourself for your college career by taking as many AP classes as available. Stay on track and get yourself into good study habits.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to get a job. Even though I am going to a community college, it is still hard to pay for college for someone who never had a job. Also, having a job in high school would have taught me better time management. Time Management is key in college. Being a full time student and having a job keeps me quite busy. I wish I could go back in time to give myself advice on time management, staying organized, being fiscally responsible, and growing up.

If I can go back in time as a senior in high school, I would have sat myself down and listen very closely. The first thing I would say to myself is that the government will not pay for your education and listen to the teachers that tries to convince on going to a local community college. The journey on getting your bachelors could've been shorter and saving a lot of money on the way. You will go to two different school before recieving your Assoicate degree in 2008. Even though, you will seem behind from your peers that has recieved their Bachelors degree. The important part is not what age you recieved it but the journey of hard work that means a lot more than not working hard for it. Find a school that is a reasonable price and cherish the education you get from it even though it wasn't your first choice of a school that you wanted to go too. I would advice you not to go to Iowa State because you would ended up not getting the loan for a second year and another year of disappointment. Overall, do not give up!

I would tell myself to actually apply myself in high school, and would inform my self to take advantage of every opportunity for assistance. I am very hard working, focused, and disaplined so I would just encourage my self to keep up the hard work. I am also a single mother so I would encourage myself to try and take some college courses while I was still in high school.

My senior year of high school had only one meaning to me, freedom. It was not having a curfew, not listening to my parents, or anyone else. Looking back I wish I had listened to those people that said it was just the beginning. Like so many others I slacked off my freshman year and eventually got kicked out. After taking some time off and figuring out my goals that today if I could go back I would change everything. I would tell myself that college isn?t a party it?s about learning and expanding your goals in life. Save your money things get expensive when you?re the only one paying for college, and getting financial aid is hard when your parents make too much. Try not to buy books at the book store, look around for books from other students and online. Most of all I would tell myself not to get overwhelmed, have fun and learn what you can don?t get discouraged. So much advice that I know I wouldn?t have listen to because I was the young and ignorant girl looking for that freedom that I now know is found within your knowledge.

dayna

Dear High School Senior Dayna, Hey girl, I have some advice for you form the future. College is fun and you are doing really well. Everything is going just as you planned academic wise but your work load is getting kind of high. You are working 30-35 hours a week while taking on a 15 credit semester. It?s a lot to handle and you are doing okay but you don't have a lot of free time. So here is my advice for you, apply for as many scholarships as you can! That $4000 Michigan Promise Scholar you got, don't use it, they are going to take it away. Don't pay for college; let all those scholarships out there pay for your college. Life would be so much better if you didn't have to work so much. Even your friends are starting to bug you because you are always working. I know you?re not even thinking about how you?re going to pay for college. Think about it, college is going to pay for itself; someone has to pay for it. Don?t let that person be you. Sincerely, College Freshman Dayna

Chad

If I could go back in time and give advise to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to buckle down and spend more time studying. Especially the basics that would help to do good on the entrance exams at college. If I could have done better on the entrance exams, I could have saved some time and money by skipping the basic classes I am now required to take before I can begin classes in my program of choice. That is the advise I would give myself if I could go back in time with what I know now.

Be open to every person you meet. Even if they don't look like someone you would normally hang out with, they can surprise you and end up being your personality twin! Do what you want to do with your college experience, not whatever someone else wants you to do. If you don't want to be a part of the whole drinking scene, don't do it. There are plenty of other things to do on campus! Get involved in something, whether it be a sport, a club, or a job, and meet new people. Try and eat healthy too, that fried food can catch up to you! And don't sacrifice comfort for fashion. Everyone has their own style here! You don't have to fit a certain mold. And you're going to have to work hard, but as long as you keep up with the work you'll be fine!

Briana

If I could go back in some time machine I would totally give me a lecture about some serious stuff and allot of trivial but important info. One thing I would DEFIANTLY stress was to get my butt in gear and fill out all of the scholarships I can until my hand falls off. Another thing id tell myself is to stop loosing things especially my ID card because paying five dollars every time you loose it is a pain. Pizza or Id?... ill take the pizza. Don't worry what you wear when u walk to class because lets face it when it comes down to frost bit toes in some awesome flats or healthy feet and snow boots I'm going to go with that. My last words would be do all your work, there will always be parties, keep your stuff in check and scholarships equal free cash and college equals expensive so keep it up!

Zachery

High school is a joke. It's a joke because after it's over, then, you realize that everything is different. The things you thought were stupid, you realize were the most important things. High school is one of the few places where people are willing to give you something for free so that you can use it to benefit for the rest of your life. Do not take that for granted. Get your priorities straight. Do your homework and study hard. Try your best everyday and in everything you do. If you do that, not only will college be easier, but the rest of you life will be better.

Kenneth

Knowing how precious life is today, and how I had taken for granted the days of my youth, and wasted my high school years, and repeated classes by making poor decisions and associating with the wrong crowds, I would take the time to talk to myself as a high school senior and remind myself that the decisions you make today willl impact your life forever. There are people in place to help give you advice and assist you with making the right decisions, such as Academic Advisors, Financial Advisors, who can steer you in the right direction and secure the right classes, so that you wouldn't have to stumble at wasteing time and dropping classes that will result in poor grades, or no grade on your transcripts. Knowing now that my love for music, theatre, and the arts is so important to my career, I would advise young Kenneth to take full advantage of the career planning processes offered through student counselors in order to develop a clear path and gain the technical knowledge and experience needed to further my career goals. Which would have been to become a recording artist and later a Video/Audeo Producer.

I would make sure I had enough time to plan ahead. I was lost and scared when I came to Mott. But I would encourage myself to work hard and be prepared for the future. I would also push myself to find a job so it would be easier on my family. Driving 45 miles one way hurts your pocket. I understand its only a 2 year school but its still a big transition from Capac to Flint.

Gloria

Wow! What a great question! If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I'd say is, "Stay focused on your ultimate goal of graduating from college. " I'd also be sure to tell myself to set smaller goals and make a schedule not only of special occasions but also to keep track of my progress of these smaller goals. To schedule frequent study time for better grades but to also make time for fun so you don't get burned out would be another thing I'd tell my high school self. I'd say, "These next years are supposed to be the best time of your life, just know that your college years will be what you make them. Knowing what I know now I'd tell my high school self not to forgot to call home often because your family will miss you.

I would have to give myself the advice to enroll and plan on going to a community college even if I have a college picked out and already plan on going there because it's best to have a backup plan and it's also saves a lot of money. Another advantage is I get a feel for what college is and can take a little more time picking out a 4 year institution based on the classes I have taken at the community college.

This is a classic time-travel paradox. Assuming that I could in fact travel into the past and hand down a few pearls of wisdom to my past self in order to make my college experience go a little more smoothly, and also assuming that my past self actually heeded my words, then it would in effect change my past self?s future and my present self?s past. While this initially doesn?t seem like a big deal, this change in my past would cause me to tell myself something completely different when my past self goes back in time (in my past self?s future). In short, if I had the opportunity to go back in time I surely wouldn?t interfere with my past self. I would probably just go see Miles Davis in concert at Birdland. You can?t change the past. The knowledge gained though personal experiences are infinitely more important than advice given. They are the essence of our being. Treasure the self you are now, and forget the self that could have been.

Well I would first tell myself to pick up some better study habits because you need good study habits to maintain good grades in college. I didn't have any study habits in high school and so when I came to college I had to teach myself and get into a habit of constantly studying for my classes. Also in high school I was dead set on taking a year off of school before going to college so I didnt do any applying or research on colleges, but now I wish I had looked at some schools.