About Mount Holyoke College

Founded in 1837, Mount Holyoke College. is a Private college. Located in Massachusetts, which is a city setting in Massachusetts, the campus itself is Suburban. The campus is home to 2,199 full time undergraduate students, and 128 full time graduate students.

The Mount Holyoke College Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 10:1. There are 227 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at Mount Holyoke College include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate52%
Application Deadline15-Nov
Application Fee60
SAT Range
ACT Range

Admissions at MHC are considered Selective, with ,38% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only 17 of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

97% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 82% were in the top quarter, and 56% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at Mount Holyoke College.

“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”
“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”

Mount Holyoke College REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

100 Students rated on-campus housing 4.2 stars. 44 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

66 Students rated off-campus housing 2.1 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

104 Students rated campus food 4.1 stars. 42 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

103 Students rated campus facilities 4.3 stars. 46 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

103 Students rated class size 4.5 stars. 59 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

99 Students rated school activities 3.9 stars. 38 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

103 Students rated local services 3.2 stars. 12 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

105 Students rated academics 4 stars. 37 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of Mount Holyoke College?

30 Students rated Mount Holyoke College

Madelyn - 06/15/2021

Overall Mount Holyoke College is a very welcoming environment for people of all backgrounds. I feel accepted, safe, and I learn a lot about different subjects and cultures from both staff and fellow students. Everyone I have met is very kind and willing to help you. I don't feel too stressed over the workload, but there is enough to keep me busy after class. The campus is beautiful and a great place to walk in between classes. Making friends is easy this way, you may make some by seeing them outside every day!

Elise

It is nearly impossible to compare a Mount Holyoke college experience to an experience from a large, co-ed university. Mount Holyoke students are focused and driven to do their best, and campus can often seem quiet and empty, because most students are studying in groups, in the library, or other buildings.

Robin

There is something for almost everyone here, interest-wise; even a campus Republicans group, though most of the students (and likely the faculty) are overwhelmingly liberal and do their best to be socially aware. Like, acknowledging the presence and preferences of students who do not fall on the gender binary. It is not perfect by any means, but no place is, and the students are willing to bring awareness and action to any problems. One thing that seems to polarize people is the location. It is more in the suburbs, and if you don't have a car, your travel options are limited, though the PVTA bus system (free for students!) is extensive and a great way to get between the other colleges in the Five College Consortium (did I mention you get access to four more colleges for the price of one?) and just out to, say, Northampton or Amherst for an afternoon. People who come from a city may find it to be small, and people like me from rural areas may find the public transportation system a bit overwhelming at first. The classes are enjoyable, and Mount Holyoke prides itself on challenges. Be prepared to think critically and take charge of projects. AP English Language would be a massive boon if you can take it, since it teaches college-level critical thinking and essay writing skills. But don't be put off if you can't take it; the First Year Seminars, which every student who comes in with a First Year standing must take one of, are designed to help students reach that level. Also, this is a residential college. Few students live off-campus. Everyone is on a meal plan that provides 3 meals a day, every day, and includes dining dollars that can be spent at Blanchard Campus Center or Uncommon Grounds. The food is good, though, and there is a wide variety of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options. There is also a kosher/halal dining hall, and another dining hall which serves halal meats twice a week. Overall, this is definitely a school to consider. It is full of community, support, and opportunity.

Shauna-kay

Honestly, I couldn't have asked to attend a better school. We affectionately call our school "MoHome," because it is just that: a home. The people, the discussion, the professors... all make up a nice package. No one is seen as too different or straying from the "norm." We see people for who they are (or at least we try to).

Mount Holyoke College FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at Mount Holyoke College?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for Mount Holyoke College is 52%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. Describe the students at your school.

Most of my fellow students are passionate, intelligent, very progressive-minded, and competitive.

3. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

Don't mind the ranking, think about what is really important to you

4. Is the stereotype of students at your school accurate?

Well some of us, but some of us aren't, and we get stuck with these names.

5. What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Everyone's gay

6. What is your overall opinion of this school?

Mount Holyoke definitely has a lot of school pride, on and off campus. But other then alums and a few people, no one has heard of the school. It is really annoying to me. South Hadley isn't really a "college town". The Village Common is the closest we get to that. It is really hard not having a town around the school, especially growning up in a "college town" (Ann Arbor). I really love the MHC "bubble" we live in. I like feeling safe, secure, and free to say whatever the hell I like. However, sometimes I wish there was less of a "bubble", so we could have more of the 'real world' in play.

7. What are the academics like at your school?

Most of the professors learn my name, either by talking to them or they learn the names of everyone. There is definitely a lot of class participation, not as much in lectures, but still some. I love having the liberal eductation because I am not stuck taking one subject for my entire college years. I think I'd go insane if I had to do that. One of my favourite classes so far was my acting class (THEAT 106(?)). It was so much fun and it had a great atmosphere. I felt comfortable acting out my pieces in front of my classmates.

8. What are the most popular student activities/groups?

I am involved with the ice hockey team and the chorale. I love both of them! I do lock my door when I leave the dorm, but I know a lot of people who don't. The traditions that happen every year are elfing, big/little sisiter, dis-o, pangy day, etc. What I did last weekend was play 3 hockey games, participate in Relay-For-Life, hem my dress for my upcoming chorale concert, practice my pieces for the concert, and my homework. That weekend was a particularly crazy one for me.

9. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

The main focuse of this school is to create strong articulate young women who are capable of speaking on a variety of subjects no matter their training. MoHos are always prepared to articulate a point on Social Justice or politics and feel free standing up for themselves when they are called upon to do so. It's commonly understood that graduates of women's colleges go on to become greats in their field. This is true of Mount Holyoke especially. Women who graduate from here are passionate and have a bright future in front of them.

10. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

Inclusive and accepting.

11. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

Its isolation. South Hadley is a very picturesque town, but it is far removed from the other universities and major towns and the bus system can be a hassel when you just want to make a quick trip to the grocery store. Coupled with an intensive homework load, the difficulty of getting off campus to socialize really has impeded my social experience of college.

12. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

The amount of work that was required of me- sometimes I feel as though I am attending a graduate institution. Also, I wish thta I could have known the increase in tuition over time- it has gone up a ridiculous amount each year.

13. What kind of person should not attend this school?

boy-crazy, pampered city girl

14. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

The location of the school in a valley that has beautiful landscapes, two hip towns/cities, cultural events, and 4 other schools.

15. Describe your favorite campus traditions.

Being an all women's college.

16. What's unique about your campus?

The people. They are diverse in EVERY meaning of the word, and incredibly engaged with the world. They are intelligent, knowledgeable, thoughtful, open-minded and committed, and that applies to students, staff and faculty alike. The people are what make the dining halls lively (students and staff), the discussions thought-provoking, and the campus activities so widely-varied. They constantly redefine what excellence means and looks like, and are nurturing of those around in ways that I have never seen or heard of at any other college. The people are the reason I am so in love with Mt. Holyoke.

17. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

It can be difficult to be a white middle class straight woman here. You are often white washed and painted as a type of person based on the color of your skin. While this is an important learning opportunity as an ally it can be hurtful when peers and friends refuse to acknowledge that they are doing something that hurts you.

18. What kind of person should attend this school?

The female that would attend this school is very bright and really very dedicated to her education. She has big plans for the future, even though they may not be finalized quite yet. She is very intelligent but also very social and good at communicating and knows how to use resources that are given to her. Despite the academic pressure, she knows how to have fun while succeeding.

19. Why did you decide to go to this school?

A student describes her decision to come to Mt. Holyoke.

20. Describe the dorms.

Many of them are excellent! The rooms aren't usually too small and are often quite spacious. Furthermore, many of the dorms and/ or bathrooms have been renovated recently, so nothing is too old. It's also great having dining halls in your hall!

21. Tell us about the food and dining options.

Students hanging out and eating at a Mt. Holyoke cafeteria.

Student Body

Student Organizations

Fraternities

Sororities

Housing

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
% Asian/Pacific Islander
% Black or African-American
% Hispanic/Latino
% White or Caucasian

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

81% of students attending Mount Holyoke College receive some sort of financial aid. 16% were awarded federal grants. While 46% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$45,866

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$950

Books and Supplies

$13,440

Room and Board

60,256

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
$21,721
$110K & UP
$34,710

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

CAN YOU GET INTO Mount Holyoke College?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.