South Hadley, MA
Mount Holyoke College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Holyoke College

Alyssa

The most frustrating thing about Mount Holyoke College is the student voices are not being heard. Student voice is an important part of the student life at an institution. Mount Holyoke College lacks the ability to listen to the students opinions on how to possibly raise awareness of our wonderful community to prospective students. As current students, w know what possible future students are looking for in their new home. We, the students of Mount Holyoke, may have better ideas to capture the attention of future students and build our student body to where it should be.

The worst thing about Mount Holyoke College is the location. Mount Holyoke is located in a small town in Massachusetts called South Hadley . There is not very much to do in South Hadley. Across the street from the college is an extremely small shapping center called the Village Commons. There are some great restaurants located in the Village Commons, but it does not give the "college feel" a future student may be looking for. With that being said, the students of Mount Holyoke do their best to cherish what they have.

Austin

The main focuse of this school is to create strong articulate young women who are capable of speaking on a variety of subjects no matter their training. MoHos are always prepared to articulate a point on Social Justice or politics and feel free standing up for themselves when they are called upon to do so. It's commonly understood that graduates of women's colleges go on to become greats in their field. This is true of Mount Holyoke especially. Women who graduate from here are passionate and have a bright future in front of them.

My biggest piece of advice for a high school senior is simultaneously simple and impossible to follow: relax. While there is nothing to do that can assuage the fears you're felling about transitioning to college from high school, at the end of the day you need to understand that if you relax and trust things to fall into place they will. Do you need to be proactive about joining new clubs? Yes! Should you keep a close eye on your school work and do your best to plan ahead and keep on top of it? Absolutely! But the details, the things you're trully worried about because they're the things that will make your college experience shine, those things will work themselves out over time. You just have to trust the system and take the time to breathe and experience each day as it happens. If you do things will work out okay for you. I feel so strongly about this I would stake my reputation as a perpetual worrier on it.

It can be difficult to be a white middle class straight woman here. You are often white washed and painted as a type of person based on the color of your skin. While this is an important learning opportunity as an ally it can be hurtful when peers and friends refuse to acknowledge that they are doing something that hurts you.

Courtney

I would have to tell myself to spend more time asking questions about the whole process. I feel like I arrived with a general idea of what I was supposed to do there, but no idea on how to go about it. I really feel like I was a "small fish in a big ocean". Thats not to say I wasnt intimidated, because I was. I didnt know where to start to ask the questions I had. My advice would be, ask ANYWHERE! Ask the principal in high school, the teachers or physician (especially me being interested in science/ health). I would tell myself to have visited our local community colleges more and to not have discounted them as viable options for a quality education. I would have told myself to stay closer to home and my support system, which was pretty strong (and is still today). I would have told myself to make best friends with an academic advisor my very first semester. I would have told myself to relax, when things seem overwhelming or like you want to quit, take a break and then get back to business. Lastly, I'd say keep the faith, determination and motivation.

Jazmin

I feel as though this is an impossible task, but here it goes; my classmates are wonderful, beautiful women who are kind and absolutely brilliant in their studies; they work hard and let nothing constrain them, especially expectations.

Mount Holyoke is a tight knit community of highly intelligent and outgoing women. We're all aspiring to better the world in some way and are encouraged to be outspoken and to think creatively. We are an inclusive school knit together from people from around the world. Here I have met brilliant women from San Francisco, Kahzakstan, Beijing, Dallas, and Paris. The staff is phenomenal as well, six of the professors have been named in the top 100 best professors. And, if that's not enough, well, it also has horses and looks like Hogwarts. I swear it's real.

Dear You,I know its tough right now, everything is going downhill. The guy you fell in love with moved 3200 miles away and your friends really dont seem to care that you go to school not caring what day it is. Your grandmother passed away and your grandfather followed a month later. Remember whats important, taking care of Mom, and ignoring the friends that abandon you.But let me tell you something, even though youre going to have to work like a dog for six months just to pay the first two months of your college payments for a single semester, trust me it will be worth it.Youre going to meet women that will care about you, and change you forever, youre going to realize that the depression you had was real, and that its okay. Youre going to be at a place so magical that even when youre up until 5 am writing a ten page paper on who knows what, youll be happier than youve ever been. Youll learn that loving from 3200 miles away is easy. So hang in there, don't fret, work hard, and youll be able to breathe easy soon.Love,You

Mount Holyoke is an all women's college, which creates a unique atmosphere when compared to other schools I applied to. The student body is 1/4 international students, adding to the unique experience because campus life is very diverse.

Classes will be tough, but nothing you can’t handle. Don’t box yourself into one major, give yourself room to explore. Never doubt your ability to excel in a new subject. And don’t give up on the trumpet just yet. Keep practicing and try out for the jazz ensemble. It's really fun! There are many things you are worrying about that don’t deserve your time. Don’t be nervous about your roommate. Just get to know her and let her know you. Also, don’t worry about what you wear or the shower situation. The hardest part is being away from home. College is independence like you’ve never experienced, away from your family and friends. It’s okay to be scared, but don’t isolate yourself. All you need to know is never doubt yourself. College will be more than you ever expect it to be. You will begin to learn things about yourself you never thought applied to you or question things you were once sure about. Campus culture will be inviting and supportive, so be open to the people that surround you and welcome their differences. And don’t forget to have fun!

The dining plan is odd in that there is only one dining plan and if you miss a meal you loose that swipe.

I think my school, Mount Holyoke College, is best known for outstanding experience overall. Its campus is absolutely gorgeous, living here is wonderful. The classes are exceptional, I'm excited to go because my teachers are passionate and intelligent and really care about what I have to say. Besides classroom experience, everyone at MHC really loves it here and supports each other in everything they do. I really couldn't pick just one thing; maybe Moho is best known for having students that gush the most!

What I really found unique when I visited Mount Holyoke was the atmosphere. There was a palpable sense of welcome everywhere on the campus. I was a bit lost trying to find the admissions department, and without even asking a student showed me the way. The community is really what's unique here; everyone is so friendly and accepting and has their own fascinating background to share. This makes every social interaction and classroom interaction a new and exciting experience!

I transferred schools this semester; I spent my first semester of college at a different school. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, firstly I would tell myself to relax; the stress I'm feeling right now is extreme, but it will end soon, and I will have a great new life in college. I would say, don't let yourself be swayed by the opinions of family, friends, college counselors, or random reviews online; only you can decide what's best for yourself. Go with your gut decision, it'll probably be right because you know yourself and you know what you need. And most important, remember to be completely open to all the new experiences you'll have. Say hi to new people, join random clubs, go to a talk by someone you've never heard of, just do everything you can! Because I know you'll love it. Also, no, you haven't packed enough sweaters, because is it very, very cold in Massachusetts.

Ester

You have to focus on your future more seriously.

You have to focus on your future more seriously.

Campus is too rural. It is too hard to go out of campus.

I need a car for free to go somewhere outside campus.

kerry

The advice that I would give to my self would be; that life with an education is more satisfing than a life without an education . I would also tell myself that four years will come and go before I know it , and how important an education is in life.

Kelsey

The most frustrating thing about Mount Holyoke College is that it is so rural. Although there are busses that run and take you to places off campus that are much more geared toward urban life, it becomes difficult to even want to go out when you are trapped on campus. A lot of the time I feel people get trapped, yet there is always a way to get off campus. If there were more options closer to us I feel that it would be much less frustrating.

I wouldn't say that Mount Holyoke College has a "worst" thing. I can't even complain about the food. I really have to say again that the worst thing is how far students have to travel to do something other than see a movie or grab food with friends. Sometimes being on an isolated campus is really nice, but other times it is undesirable. Trying to do more off campus activities require one to own a car or endure the hour long bus rides, which are free, but time consuming.

If I could travel back in time to talk to myself as a senior at East Granby High School, there is so much I would say. I would tell her that I was proud of her and that she should be proud of herself. Coming into college with a large lack of confidence was not condusive to my education. I would allow tests to make me feel intimidated and I would walk around timid and shy because I didn't realize what I was truly accomplishing. Since entering college I have accomplished so many things that I couldn't have dreamed of walking across that stage at my high school graduation. I would tell myself to have a little bit of faith in the things only deep down I knew I could accomplish. I walked across that stage and as I moved my tassel over from the right to the left a wave of fear spreadthrough my body. Could I handle college, succeeding as often as I did in high school? I would tell myself yes. And the greatest piece of advice that I could have given to myself would have been to believe in myself. I could do it.

Mount Holyoke College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.