South Hadley, MA
Mount Holyoke College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Holyoke College

Catherine

Catie, Know that you will not be homesick, but think carefully about where you are from. Listen as much to those who have had everything as to those who, like you, have had to struggle mightily to arrive here. Those who struggled will tell stories that sustain your soul, and those who have not will draw the contours of the world that you are entering. Do not be bitter about the rural town you call home, or the high school that failed to prepare you for the challenges of college. You can and will make it, but it will take everything you have. The best news? This place believes deeply in you, and will expect more of you than you could EVER imagine. There is no other place where encouragement will make you examine yourself so deeply for strength, weakness, privilege and lack - but you will come out victorious, alive and thoroughly grateful. You will know the power of your own voice intimately, and from experience, because your life is changing forever. Embrace your growing pains. Finally, appreciate your family deeply, but let your boyfriend go. There's a beautiful girl who wants to ask you out anyway. Love, Me

The people. They are diverse in EVERY meaning of the word, and incredibly engaged with the world. They are intelligent, knowledgeable, thoughtful, open-minded and committed, and that applies to students, staff and faculty alike. The people are what make the dining halls lively (students and staff), the discussions thought-provoking, and the campus activities so widely-varied. They constantly redefine what excellence means and looks like, and are nurturing of those around in ways that I have never seen or heard of at any other college. The people are the reason I am so in love with Mt. Holyoke.

I start by talking about my friends, who come from all over the world and leap enthusiastically to talk about anything from quantum mechanics to the oppression of sexual and gender minorities. Then I talk about my professors, who dress up for Halloween, bring candy to every exam, have students over for dinner and offer a room to students in need. Then, I talk about John, the war veteran who works at one of the dining halls, greets me with a smile, knows me name, and sings to me when I walk in. Finally, I talk about the beautiful campus.

Katherine

Mount Holyoke is a beautiful liberal arts college that provides an empowering learning environment for women.

My classmates are extremely intelligent, dedicated, empowered women who have taken their education and lives into their own hands.

Most importantly, take a deep breath. Relax. Transitioning into college might be your most nerve-wracking adjustment to date, but know that you are not alone. Make the most of your remaining high school career. Keep your friends close and do not fall victim to ‘senioritis’; you will need a strong work ethic in order to be successful later on. Be sure to sign up for classes that are meaningful to you, and never be afraid to take a class just because it seems like too much work; if you are passionate about a subject, the learning experience will make it completely worthwhile. Academics aside, you will need to adjust to a new social environment. Orientation is an amazing opportunity to connect with other students. Everyone will be scrambling to make new friends in order to feel welcome; embrace this and be friendly! Invest in a doorstop and make friends in your hall! Keep your door as well as your mind open to the amazing opportunities in front of you. Join clubs, meet new people, and immerse yourself in this new environment. Eventually, it will become your home away from home. Have fun and good luck!

Stephen

I would tell myself five words, that I am sure a lot of people could also benifit from: get out of your shell. College is often described as the best part of your life, but on top of that the people you meet in college can be some of the best friends and assets of your life. Proffessors, colleagues, and everyone else in college can help you whether it is by teaching you something you are actually interested in, helping you when you are lost, or even years down the road doing you a favor. College is about networking, pure and simple. Open up your college yearbook, and anyone in there might be an asset. You are all alumni from the same institution and that means a lot. This advice and description of college might sound cynical, but I assure whomever is reading this that I mean it in a completely well-meaning way. This is the advice I would give anyone, not just myself, so I fully expect everyone else to view me the same way; as an asset. That doesn't mean we are something to be used, but it is certainly something everyone should keep in mind.

melissa

I f i was a high school senior and knew about the college life and making the transition i would tell myself to be focused on my work and be mature . College life is different com,pared to high school. In college you dont have someone telling you what to do, when to be in class, or to do your homework. Coming into college you have to be mature because you are on your own and make your own decisions. I would give that advice to anybody transitioning from high school to college!

Kecia

Honestly I like the decision I made when I attended high school. I had held myself back a year because I knew that I needed it. See, I have a learning disability so many things I do I have to take my time at. Now I am proud to say I have accomplished a lot. Anyway, then I was sure that applying and attending a Community College would give me the step I needed if and when I wanted to attend a University. Well, I never did go to a university I just continued my path at the community college. It seemed easier to graduate with all the credits I had. Advice I would give myself would be never give up hope on the journey to success. It's always worth it. Another would be to tell myself to actually have a better choice for an Associate’s Degree than what I chose. Believe me it was hard to find a job with a degree in Business Technology.

Being an all women's college.

Being an all women's college.

The campus beautiful and the community is very welcoming. It is a wonderful environment to be in for four years.

Advice to myself as a highschool senior: Be who you want to be. Study the subjects that are most interesting to you without worrying about what other people think. What matters the most is that you feel proud of your accomplishments. If you are doing things to please other people, you won't feel successful. Once you find the subjects that inspire you, then immerse yourself in the community of that college department; spend time with the students in your classes and get to know the professors. The more you learn about the things you feel passionate about, the more clear the future will loook.

Ariel

My favorite thing about the school are my friends. We're all down to earth, outgoing, and not competitive with each other. Furthermore, the size of school size is just right; you know a lot of people, but you don't know everyone. Although South Hadley is not quite a college town, Amherst and Northampton definitely are and they're not that far from MHC and are easily accessible by the PVTA, which is the free public bus. I don't spend much time off campus because I'm rarely bored on MHC's campus. We have a lot of school pride and we're not afraid to show it! I feel very safe and secure and happy here, despite the work-load. What's most unusual about the school is the diversity of its students. We have many international students, racial minorities, and socioeconomic diversity. I feel that members of the different "groups" interact with each other. I feel that at most schools people who are alike generally stick together and are not always willing to move out of their comfort zones, but I may be incorrect. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen at MHC, but I think it may be less common here.

What are the most popular classes offered?

World Politics with Vinnie Ferraro; everyone loves it!

Tell us about your professors.

They're excellent! So friendly and intelligent!

What's the Greek scene like?

it's Greek to me!

What do students complain about most?

Lack of men on campus, the workload, and the lack of a typical college social life. However, we are students at Mount Holyoke because it's an excellent institution and because of its accepting and friendly atmosphere.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

It's great having the option of choosing where you want to eat! Each dining hall has its own unique menu that changes every meal!

Describe the dorms.

Many of them are excellent! The rooms aren't usually too small and are often quite spacious. Furthermore, many of the dorms and/ or bathrooms have been renovated recently, so nothing is too old. It's also great having dining halls in your hall!

Most students are active and interested in what they are studying or related passions. As a side note, most of the women are politically liberal.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It felt like home! From the moment I stepped onto campus, I felt comfortable. I was greeted by friendly strangers, the campus was beautiful, and the academic atmosphere was exactly what I was looking for: serious, but not competitive.

Nope! There are many openly lesbian and bisexual women. It is highly advisable that all applicants and students are acceptable of this. I would say that almost everyone is. There are a select few exceptions, but do not fret! There are always are those select few are a little bit different. MHC takes pride in each other's differences and I love that!

I have had pretty good luck with my professors so far, which is absolutely great! Class participation is vital in most classes. Most of them have been accommodating and helpful, which I have really enjoyed.

My closest friends are my roommates and those who live on my floor, except for a few exceptions. I feel safe and comfortable here. I am not involved in the party scene, but there are plenty who are! Mostly, I hang around with friends just talking or watch movies or go to the campus parties. You can do whatever you want to do on the weekends although Sunday is STUDY DAY!

That we are all interested in women.

DJ
What are your classes like?

What are your classes like?

The majority of my classes here at MOHO has usually been no more than 25-30 students. The few classes that have had more were intro classes but they are usually no more than 50. So you won't have to worry about being in a 300 person lecture here at MOHO.

From what I view I feel that Mount Holyoke students wear 4 types of clothing to class on an everyday basis. The most common is the jean, t-shirt and sneakers combo, I feel that the majority of students wear this to class everyday. The second most common is athletic wear, either they play sports or just feeling like wearing sweatpants for the day I say that this is the second most popular. The third would be more dressy, shoes, skirt or dress, blouse, cardigan,make-up, styled hair (that's not loose or in a ponytail) I personally know some MOHOS who dress like this everyday. The final would be pajamas but I only see this with students who have early morning classes.

If a MOHO is awake at 2am on a weekday she is either doing two things 1. writing a paper or studying for a quiz or 2. hanging out with friends in her room or common room space.

I would say that I have had two classes which were my ultimate favorite so far at Mount Holyoke College. One class was African-American culture in society, it was an inside-out course, which is a course that is shared with college students and inmates at a local jail. What made this class my favorite was that I learned a lot not just from my professor but mainly from the women inmates at the jail, they were extremely smart and offered their opinions and thoughts on the criminal justice. It was the class that helped me decide what direction I want to pursue for a career. Another class that was my favorite was the crime and prison industry in the US, it was the most interesting class I have taken. In the class we had heated debates, excellent readings and a wonderful professor. My least favorite class at Mount Holyoke was elementary Homeric Greek. Although the professor was extremely nice and helpful I just had a hard understanding a lot in that class.

Natalia

Mount Holyoke is best known for being the oldest All-Women's college in the US. It is also fairly well recognized for it's outstanding faculty. A less important way in which it's known is for how the girls at Mount Holyoke know how to study hard but also party hard.

Start searching for scholarships earlier, plain and simple. A lot of the scholarships that I have been finding since I have started searching for them in college require you to be a high school junior or senior. I know that I did not do enough to find scholarships and it is really coming back to haunt me. I would tell myself that it is not fair that my mom has to work 2 jobs in order to pay for my college tuition and even then she has to dip into her savings. I would tell myself to take a deep breath and look for a job, scholarships, grants, etc. anything to make this time easier. A lot my current worries are directly related to money and despite my mom ensuring me that it is okay, I continue to worry. I would also tell myself to not hold back. You never know what your full potential is until you give it all you have got and not doing something out fear is the worst kind of regret. Lastly, I would remind myself that the future is bright and full of possibilities regardless of how dark the clouds may be today.

The cost. I absolutely love Mount Holyoke and I'm ecstatic that I go the chance to attend it, but the cost is incredbily high. I understand that it is worth it for the top notch education and faculty, but it has caused some financial strains in my home.

Athea

I would say that I need to kick it into gear with finding a job and filling out every scholarship I possibly can! I now understand why everyone kept pushing me. I filled out many scholarships but there was so much more i could have done. I was late on my FAFSA application and should have gotten it done. Everyone may say that college life and high school life are completely different, and they are different but so much is the same. You have to keep pushing yourself and be accountable to continue what you want and not let anyone in your way!

Mount Holyoke College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.