South Hadley, MA
Mount Holyoke College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Holyoke College

Gloria

The students are very helpful to each other and everyone is opened towards each other's unique backgrounds from cultural, sexual orientation to academic backgrounds

The school really is there for you and for the students. The teachers are there to teach and to help you and even the staff members and workers respect all the womens in this college with great respect. They show us the admiration they have for us for our hard-work.

I want to advise myeslf to wait a little more with early morning classes and a co-ed enviornment. I will also tell myself not to slack off on working-out.

Linda

Please stay connected to your friends, classmates and professors. They are sources for networking and have resources that you might need in the future. Go to your professors' office hour because office hour gives you the individual attention you need. The professors get to know you better! They might help you find you interest and guide you to the right path. Never, never procrastinate! Do your homework the day it is given. Plan your day wisely, but do not forget to give yourself a break-watch a movie, attend a dance! Be friendly and help each other out.

I wish I had known that there was a Career Development Center where students can seek internship, financial, career, graduate and professional school, resume and cover letter advice. Students can also drop in for a one-on-one meeting with an alumnae or talk with someone there. I wish I had known there is a Speaking, Arguing, & Writing Program Center where students seek advice on how to improve their papers and learning how to think critically and learning to write and speak persuasively.

Claira

Its isolation. South Hadley is a very picturesque town, but it is far removed from the other universities and major towns and the bus system can be a hassel when you just want to make a quick trip to the grocery store. Coupled with an intensive homework load, the difficulty of getting off campus to socialize really has impeded my social experience of college.

Do not get caught up in the marketing campaign of the college. Yes, the college is a member of a 5 college consortium, but that doesn't tell you how well that consortium actually works. The only way to really know if the college is right for you is to talk to the students, ask them about their experiences with the services provided by the school. As for the academics, make sure that you read the description of the major and the course of study in that major before you choose the college based on the availability of that major. You may not get the diversity or scope of study you were originally looking for. Finally, make sure you assess how challenging it is to have a social life. For a type-A hermit like you, you need to be challenged to get out of the library and into the world. Pick a college that has relatively easy access to other, diverse and fun things to do so you will be encouraged to put down that book once in a while and gain some life experience. College should be more than just academics, it is also gaining life experience.

Amira

Mount Holyoke College is best known for the diversity of its student body. It has a very high percentage of international students and embraces the cultures, traditions and religions of other students. Mostly, the internationality of the student body is an advantage in classes as well as in student life. Having many different people from around the world in one class allows for different perspectives and offer new and challenging ideas to the community.

After my first semester of college, I have realized that being yourself is truly acceptable. College life and the people are accepting and welcoming no matter who you are. For the most part, this has been a struggle for me during my high school years. I have battled with the issue of identity and have tried to understand who i really am. The transition to college was a wake up call to me, as it forced me to mature a little, and it forced me to recognize my goals. The advice that I would give myself if I were able to go back in time would be: to go with the flow. You can't always plan and prepare everything, and one of the things I have learned about college life is that you have to do what you want to do, and you can't let anyone else make decisions for you. And lastly, don't be afraid to let that inner teenager out, enjoy all that is given to you.

I very much like that our student body is so diverse because coming from a mixed race background, and from living overseas, i have gotten used to the many cultures and traditions of other countries. It also made the transition easier, as i was able to easily relate to other students. I also like the fact that Mount Holyoke College is a women's college. For someone who has had trouble making friends, being at a women's college has instilled confidence in me and has raised my self-esteem. Most of all, i have made new friends.

My school is--the oldest women's college, bucolic, and academically empowering.

My school is--the oldest women's college, bucolic, and academically empowering.

I consider the best aspect of my college to be the faculty. In the larger intro courses, professors bend over backwards to ensure that you understand the material. They also go out of their way to get to know your name and make themselves incredibly accessible.

Knowing what I know about myself now, I would learn to trust my instincts more. Deep down, you know what kinds of people are true friends. Also, the institution I chose is bucolic and I wishI had planned more outlets for myself to become involved in. The first year, I went to some parties off-campus but realized that wasn't the college experience I wanted. As much as you can anticipate, I think the best thing one can do is go into college with an open-mind. Sometimes you will learn the hard way, but that learning---that process---as hard as it can be sometimes. I had the most difficult semester imaginable this year because of my mother's illness and a loss of a family member but it was the support of my friends and peers at my school that I was able to get through it. Life isn't easy, and as much as college is glamorized as being the best time of your life, for some it is not. I can look back at this past semester and be cynical---or I can look at the new friends I made and my accomplishments and smile.

Victoria

Don?t panic. Seriously. You?re smarter than you give yourself credit for! Maybe you won?t get straight A?s, but that?s okay. All that means is that there?s more for you to learn about. Need I remind you the point of going to college: to learn! Honestly, do you think you already know it all? That?s right, you don?t, but what to DO know has set you up for success. Be open to new ideas. Maybe most students planning on going into the health field major in Biology or Chemistry, but since when have you been normal? Being ?normal? is boring! Take advantage of what you?re good at, what you?re interested in and fly with it. Yes, you still have to take requriements, but that's not all you have to take! Have fun. If you only take classes you ?should?, never taking anything fun, you?re going to wear yourself out. Being sick and tired of classes before you even begin to apply to graduate school isn?t exactly the best way to make a good impression with admissions! Take at least one fun class a semester. And join a club!

Someone who is extremely right-wing and not open to alternative lifestyles. Also, anyone who want to sail through on sports need not apply. MHC is not much of a party school, so don?t come here for that either. Basically, if you're serious about an education, this school may work for you. Don't come if you're a slacker - there is no way in hell you'll be able to graduate without effort in the classroom.

I love the diversity! This school has one of the highest percentages of international students. Nearly all of my friends here are international, which is really cool ? and all from different countries! I have met people from every continent, except Antarctica, but I have met someone who has been there. Students come from all types of family backgrounds as well. All this diversity makes for really interesting discussions, both in and out of the classroom.

Shelley

Well, it's all-women, so that rules out men (obviously), but also women who seriously feel like they could not cope in a co-ed evironment (although I would encourage them to visit before they determine this). Additionally, this school is relatively small, so anyone looking for the "big university experience" should consider an alternative.

Hey senior-me, it's college-me. I'm going to be relatively brief with you because you're busy selling your soul to IB. Right now, you might be worried that loads of high school work will be nothing compared to college work and you will thus flounder in a sea of papers and projects with little time for enjoyment. However, let me ease your worries. You will be assigned long essays to write frequently and you will have a much shorter time frame to write them, but there will be much less stress. I'm telling you now, you're going to be spoiled. Even when you have studying to do, friends will always be there to support and, if you prefer, study with you. Also, the wondeful thing about MHC is that many teachers don't tell you your exact grade in the class. That might sound a bit scary now, but it takes away a lot of pressure and you can just focus on the class instead of the grade. So don't worry about stress in college: there are people and resources that keep you afloat.

I tell them that it is one of the seven sisters, the female equivalent to the once all-male ivy league. I also tell them that it has a gorgeous campus and the food and housing is spectacular (I'm not lying).

Marion

Mount Holyoke has a great International Relations and Politics department, which was very important for me because I knew I wanted to major in International Relations. Other departments we are known for are psychology, neuroscience, education and languages. The administration is very friendly and efficient. Unlike some of my friends who go to other schools and had to wait for ages for things like AP credits or help with their registration problems, the Mount Holyoke Administration works those problems out in a very quick way and always keeps in touch with students. Professors are also easily approachable and very committed to teaching.

Students on this campus form a community. We are very open and accepting. We have a huge international and LGBT community and I am proud to say that students from all over the world and of all religions are welcome here. This is a place for open, accepting, tolerant students - definitely not for close-minded or biased people, especially not if you are biased towards a certain religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

Well - Mount Holyoke students are exceptionally smart and committed young women and we do have a significant number of students identifying as LBQ etc., but as with all stereotypes, this one is definitely too narrow. AND Mount Holyoke students are definitely not guy-crazy :)

Classes here are generally small. This helps a lot with professor - student interaction. All professors hold office hours where everyone is welcome and the professors want to get to know you. This past semester, I have discussed assignments with my professors countless times and I always had the feeling that they were glad to help me out. Studying is very important at Mount Holyoke. Some classes have quite a heavy workload, additionally, our students are very driven. A huge percentage of our graduates goes on to grad school, another huge percentage joins the peace corps - you could say that both our studies and community service are two very important things on campus. Mount Holyoke's distribution requirements (a core curriculum, geared towards a "general education") gives you the opportunity to explore a broad range of subjects and gives you a sound body of knowledge. We also have a bunch of great and very popular study abroad opportunities for which financial aid is available.

Mount Holyoke has a lot of student organizations on campus, and if you still can't find one you like, you are encouraged to create your own! We definitely are not a party school, those who do want to party go to UMASS Amherst, which is a free bus ride away! Mount Holyoke is part of the 5 Colleges Consortium (Smith College, Amherst College, Hampshire College and UMASS Amherst). They are connected via a free bus service that runs 24/7. Students can cross-register for classes and social activities.

We are all brainy lesbians - or if we're straight, we're desperate for guys :P

Julie

It is very important to balance school work with social activities. While it is important to study hard, it is also important to develop lasting friendships and connect with students. Also, choose a college where you feel like you would fit in the best and that meets your needs.

I wish I had a known that the school is very rigorous academically .

All students are very friendly and supportive.

noeen

Do what you want to do. There is no "right" thing to do. You dont have to do what you're parents did. College is a learning experience in many ways. If when you leave college, you are the same person you were when you entered it, then you've wasted four/two years. In terms of finding the right college, find the one that suits you and your family the most. Money is important, yes, but more than that your college has to be your college-literally. It has to suit what you want to do. A word of caution for parents and students both: Do not be fooled by brands. You can make the most of your college experience by taking risks, getting out of your comfort zone. Being out of depth is a good thing.

Mount Holyoke College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.