Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

Beware of being a Spring Admit!!! The college picks 50-70 students to start school in the spring semester of their freshman year instead of the fall. They don't tell you when you apply that this could happen, and you'll think that there must be some mistake or that you check the wrong box when filling out the application. But trust me its not you, it's them. Not going to lie its hard starting half way through a year. Everyone is already established in their own routine and knows what's going on. We were given a warm welcome but a brief and incomplete orientation. I struggled to figure out to get a work study job and how self scheduled exams work. It was nice in the fall because I was able to work and save some money, but now as enter my Junior Year I'm still 8 credits behind and rushing to catch up with the rest of my class, so that I can graduate on time. I am taking summer classes at home, but the college is picky about the credits that they will except form other institutions, which only makes it more difficult to catch up.

mhc is a great school, but it is not for everyone. Most people find that once they visit, they feel something about the school and are instantly connected to it, wanting to call it home (I did...). It has always been a second home to me and not once have I felt uncomfortable there. this is not to say I always enjoyed my time there, there have been times when I've felt lonely, homesick or desperate, but I have never disowned it as my home. I will always look back favorably, but it is a peculiar place so I advise doing your research before choosing a school. it has prepared me well for the world and I do feel above others sometimes when I say, I went to a women's college, I made wonderful friends, I focused and did wonderfully for 4 years and now I am more secure and independent than you!

I really love MHC and MoHos in general. I leave my door unlocked all the time, and never have to worry about leaving my backpack alone in the library. There is such a huge range of personalities on campus that virtually everyone manages to find a group of friends to hang out with. Yesterday I was sitting next to a group of like 8 girls who were all playing on their game boys and talking about one of those online multi player games. There's also a bunch of girls who dress in capes and go to rocky horror every weekend, and another group of girls who go out to UMASS frat parties every day they can. Seriously, pretty much anyone can find some like-minded people here.

I got stuck with the roommate from hell. I stated quite clearly that I am anti-substance/drugs, am not comfortable having guys in the room, am extremely messy, like the temperature high, and am the lightest of sleepers. And what do you know, she wanted to have her new boyfriend stay over the third night we were here, hid tequila in her desk drawer (for which I personally could have gotten in trouble), griped about my piled desk (she piled stuff on the floor), and opened the window and turned off the heat before she left for three days and came back at 3 am. Thanks a lot, roommate-matching deities.

Mount Holyoke is a tight knit community of highly intelligent and outgoing women. We're all aspiring to better the world in some way and are encouraged to be outspoken and to think creatively. We are an inclusive school knit together from people from around the world. Here I have met brilliant women from San Francisco, Kahzakstan, Beijing, Dallas, and Paris. The staff is phenomenal as well, six of the professors have been named in the top 100 best professors. And, if that's not enough, well, it also has horses and looks like Hogwarts. I swear it's real.

The main focuse of this school is to create strong articulate young women who are capable of speaking on a variety of subjects no matter their training. MoHos are always prepared to articulate a point on Social Justice or politics and feel free standing up for themselves when they are called upon to do so. It's commonly understood that graduates of women's colleges go on to become greats in their field. This is true of Mount Holyoke especially. Women who graduate from here are passionate and have a bright future in front of them.

What I really found unique when I visited Mount Holyoke was the atmosphere. There was a palpable sense of welcome everywhere on the campus. I was a bit lost trying to find the admissions department, and without even asking a student showed me the way. The community is really what's unique here; everyone is so friendly and accepting and has their own fascinating background to share. This makes every social interaction and classroom interaction a new and exciting experience!

I love Mount Holyoke and am really glad that I decided to go there. I hardly notice the all women's environment and find that the school has a great learning atmosphere. Also the campus is breathtaking (Princeton review almost always has it in the top ten most beautiful college campuses). As an athlete I have found MHC to be the perfect balance between academics and sports. My classes come first and then my sport!

Mount Holyoke is a wonderful place, it just takes some adjusting and a lot of girls leave because they aren't able to deal with it. It's a different kind of experience, an experience that you can't get anywhere else, and you have to think about the big picture to really understand why we do this. And we're not bitchy (the bitchy girls aren't usually willing to go to a women's college).

First of all, we're an all women's college, and so that in itself is really unique. It sets up very different social dynamics than a co-ed college. We don't have as much crazy partying and pranks. The campus is always clean, we have a lot of funky traditions, very unique people, excellent facilities, and fresh air.