Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

there are a ton of popular teams on campus-every sport is popular, and a cappella singing groups are definitely big on campus. i didnt lock my door all last year, it's really pretty safe to walk around campus without locking anything. dating? you can meet guys at frats, and you can hook up with them, but you will probably not meet the guy of your dreams at a drunk crazy hookup party. the best way is to take classes off campus and talk to a guy while they're not intoxicated and looking for a hookup. i met my closest friends because they either lived near me last year, took a class with me, or were at the same party as me at some point or another. if i'm awake at 2am on a tuesday, i'm either just talking to friends or my boyfriend or cramming. i can't tell you about the traditions...they're a surprise. but trust me, they're worth it :) hmmm what did i do the last weekend of school? i went to get fried ice cream in northhampton, and then i partied after the last day of finals with a bunch of my friends all over campus. if you dont want to drink on a saturday night, you can definitely go to a concert or just hang out with friends and watch a movie or go out to a college town for dinner and shopping. if i go off campus, it's generally to party.

There are a lot of lame school sponsored parties, which often makes for a sucky freshman year party-wise because you are still convinced you need guys to have fun. By second year people find their own niche depending on their interests, and find a friend group (even including boys) that they can socialize with. Mt holyoke may not be "hoppin" all the time, but there is SO much to do in the five college area. I'm constantly busy--there are tons of theater and dance productions to see. My friends tend to have a lot of costume parties since we decided dressing up to look bad is way more fun than trying to look good all the time. The nicest thing is that since the parties are often off campus, when you get home (or if you choose not to go out) it's quiet and clean. You never wake up to find the lawn littered with beer cans and a party is really never forced upon you if you are staying in the dorms for the evening. Sporting events aren't really popular, sadly. I think if the fields were more centrally located, people would be more willing to stop by and cheer.

When I decided to come to mount holyoke, I thought that I would frequently take advantage of the 5 college consortium to go out and meet guys. Turns out that I had way more fun just hanging out on campus with my friends on the weekends. Occasionally we have a big party where tons of umass and amherst guys come, but for the most part I have an awesome time going to the campus parties which are mostly mount holyoke students. Athletic events dont usually get a ton of attendance, but the A Cappella Jams are always totally packed, and any traditional events like Junior Show and Disorientation get a lot of attendance. We have major school/class pride and love to attend any event where we get to wear our class colors and scream like banshees. Another big draw are the cultural nights like VariAsians, China night, Hawaii night, Afro-Caribbean night, where everyone goes to support their friends who are in the show.

Equestrian is big! And rugby, but totally different ends of the spectrum! Students in dorms leave their doors open but I don't. The popularity of athletic events depends on the team, for example, basketball is very popular. We have great guest speakers!!!!! Dating scene is all girls, but straight girls find boys at Amherst, Umass and Hampshire. I met my closest friends on the volleyball team and in my dorm. I am doing homework if I am awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, or complaining about my coach. There's a million traditions, pangy day, convocation, disorientation, elfing (Amazing!), milk and cookies, all sorts of good things. People party on the weekends but not so much during the week, except for a few die-hards. You can go to Amherst or Northampton or a Mount Holyoke dance or something without drinking. You can eat off campus, you can drink, dance, go to clubs, whatever!

Um, lots of groups, I don't think one predominates. I love the Debating Society. Sometimes students leave their doors open, it depends on where. Athletics? What Athletics? Guest speakers can be popular, depends on who it is. Theater? huh? Dating at Mount Holyoke isn't usually worth it--all guys just want some ass or someone to marry, and its almost impossible to meet someone who just wants to be friends. I lived with my closest friends, but I meet people all the time. If I'm awake at 2am I'm studying. I love Mountain Day, M&C's...all the traditions (there's a lot of interesting ones). It depends on who you hang out with for parties, some people party a lot and some people don't party much at all. I sang for China night and then was an SA on duty during Drag Ball last weekend. Watch a movie with friends? I go to Amherst or Boston or New York to get off campus.

Thank goodness, it's not a big party school- people go to UMass or Amherst to do that. There was more drinking and smoking various substances than I expected, but it is college after all, and I went to a pretty tame, education-focused high school. People sometimes leave their doors open, and what do you know, stuff gets stolen. I had a big tiff with my ex-roommate about that- I don't want my 2,000 dollar laptop, ipod, or camera stolen. Dating scene: I guess it must be pretty good if you are something other than straight. People are more than comfortable displaying their sexuality here. If you are straight, you must either have a boyfriend beforehand, try your luck at other schools, or bide your time. I wish the theater department did musicals! I wish there was a non-substance dorm. Or at least a floor.

Students in dorms usually do leave their doors open because everyone feels that our campus is very safe and usually nothing gets stolen. There are a lot of traditions at Mt. Holyoke becuause the school is so old and I think that the traditions are one of the things that makes the school so endearing and why I like it so much. Most of the traditions happen at the beginning of the year- convocation, first year plants, Mountain Day, Disorientation, Elfing, etc. They really do make the school more of a community and they're something fun to look forward to every year! There are not frats (obviously) and no sororities on campus. Parties here are either privately put on in dorm rooms or they're held at one of the school's venues.

There is so much to do on campus. There are endless amounts of service orgs, sports teams, singing groups, theater opportunities etc... and if you don't find something you like at MHC you can take advantage of the 5 college consortium! I have met my closest friends in my dorm and at chorale. In terms of social life, I love just chilling on campus with friends on weekends, or going into Amherst for dinner. Before I got here I thought I'd be spending all my time over at Amherst, but I enjoy staying on campus so much more!

There are something like five girls to every guy in the Five Colleges so don't count on dating because guys don't need to ask girls out on dates. Without fail, there will be a drunken Mt. Holyoke freshman who will hook up because she's terrified that she's at an all girls school. It is possible to make plutonic, off-campus friends but it's difficult. You're best bet is to take a class off campus and engage sober people in a setting where you know you have common interests.

i met my best friends from auditioning for plays, and have met people from all five college by doing so, it rocks. and we are just basically one big sorority, i mean...all girl's college? think about it. my friends and i party a lot at hampshire, but if we're not in that mood, we go get sushi in noho, see movies at the hampshire mall, gone to the circus, watched bull riding, stolen fruit plates, ordered hangar wings to a car at Umass. You just gotta be creative.