Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are a lot of different stereotypes. Since we are an all girls school many males think we are "easy", and in some cases that can be the case (as with any school). There is also a stereotype of mount holyoke being a gay campus... yes we are very happy people and no we have no judgements about your orientation. We like you that way you are!

Stereotypes? I think people feel that Mount Holyoke students are smart, overworked, stressed out, oblivious, and unaware of what goes on in the world, but that we try to solve everything. In the five college area, I think we're supposed to be the pretty ones. I've heard someone say that we're just a bunch of girls trying to find husbands.

That we're not as smart as the Smith students. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. I personally was accepted to both but decided to come here, partially because people here were simply nicer. Another: there are more than the average percentages of lesbians, bisexuals, etc. Absolutely true, but so what?

There is the obvious stereotype that everyone that goes to Mt. Holyoke is a lesbian and even if you don't like girls when you come here, by the time you graduate you'll probably have chopped off all of your hair and become some butch lesbian.

We are stereotyped as being a very homosexual community or as being desperate for guys. I think that there is somewhat of a divide between the students. We are also looked at as a very intellectual group of women.

-Mt. Holyoke students never get to see boys. -Mt. Holyoke students have stupid parties because it's a women's college. -Mt. Holyoke students are all lesbian.

We're all either feminist lesbians who want to escape "the real world" or we're man starved skanks who spend every spare moment partying at UMASS and Amherst.

that were all either whack job lesbian feminists, or prissy prude conservative daddy's girls only here to find a husband and become a perfect trophy wife

That the women are mostly gay, or mostly just looking for someone to sleep with. That we are uptight about academics and don't know how to have fun.

Stereotypes aren't too bad. That we are all lesbians, or all daddy's rich girls, or all desperate. I don't know how you reconcile those three.