Mount Holyoke College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Huge LGBT population, super serious, politically active, slutty, smart

That we're pretty, study all the time girls that get blackout drunk on the weekends. Also that we're all lesbians.

Maia

Some common assumptions about women's colleges in general are that everyone is gay, that the few straight girls here are starving for male attention, that we're afraid of men, and that we're all militant feminists.

Marion

We are all brainy lesbians - or if we're straight, we're desperate for guys :P

Ariel

That we are all interested in women.

Sasha

We're all either feminist lesbians who want to escape "the real world" or we're man starved skanks who spend every spare moment partying at UMASS and Amherst.

liberal, gay, tree-hugging, intellectual, smart, independent, strong, well-rounded

Some stereotypes are that all girls at mount Holyoke are very very smart and all lesbians.

There are a lot of different stereotypes. Since we are an all girls school many males think we are "easy", and in some cases that can be the case (as with any school). There is also a stereotype of mount holyoke being a gay campus... yes we are very happy people and no we have no judgements about your orientation. We like you that way you are!

Barbara

The question I am asked most frequently is if I'm a lesbian yet. The second most common question is "why did you give up on the male race?" This one comes most often from guys who can't gather enough mental capacity to form a better pick-up line. The truth is that yes, we do have more homosexuals percentwise than most schools. The other part of that is that not every girl who enters Mount Holyoke "gives up" on the male race, myself included. I'm still as straight as a pin, but i don't feel the need to refrain from friendships with lesbians and bisexual students.

Maudie

People assume that everyone is either gay or afraid of men (a common assumption about many all-women's colleges).

Mickey

There are many homosexual and trans-gender students. Another stereotype is that we are all over achievers and study way too much. There was a rumor that we have more homework than Yale.

Meredith

The girls are either lesbians or boy crazy and we party hard.

Terry

Some stereotypes include that Mohos are prudish, very studious, a bit unwelcoming, and uber feminist.

Dale

Mt. Holyoke in mostly gay women and those who are straight are desperate.

Rosie

That the women are mostly gay, or mostly just looking for someone to sleep with. That we are uptight about academics and don't know how to have fun.

Mount Holyoke students are often thought to be strong-willed, very intelligent feminists. Also, many assume mount holyoke students are gay, or socially awakward.

Allie

1. We are all feminist lesbians 2. Tree hugger 3. Book worms

-Mt. Holyoke students never get to see boys. -Mt. Holyoke students have stupid parties because it's a women's college. -Mt. Holyoke students are all lesbian.

Everyone is a lesbian or that it's a school for riders who aren't academically oriented

Nina

We're all lesbians, we're desperate, the guys in the other colleges tend to think we're easy.

That we are really preppy, really driven, over motivated, over competitive, over achievers.

Dorothy

That we're either all lesbians or going to become one after the first semester. That the straight students are so desperate for a date that we'll do anything.

-college where most of the students are lesbians -there is no social life -everyone is incredibly petty and competitive

Arianna

I've heard about several stereotypes for Mount Holyoke, such as that Mount Holyoke girls party a lot and such.

some stereotypes... smart..motivated...gay

We are stereotyped as being a very homosexual community or as being desperate for guys. I think that there is somewhat of a divide between the students. We are also looked at as a very intellectual group of women.

The stereotypes are awfully conflicted for Mt. Holyoke. I think people assume you are a butch lesbian who plays rugby or a pearl wearing Daddy's girl who rides for the equestrian team. Does not make much sense trying to squish both identities into one student.

Lipstick lesbians. Desperate skanky straight girls. Nerds.

Lesbian, snobby

That a lot of students here do not leave campus on weekends. We tend to be "over" studious. There are exceptions though, because a lot of people use the bus to get out of South Hadley.

Stereotypes aren't too bad. That we are all lesbians, or all daddy's rich girls, or all desperate. I don't know how you reconcile those three.

They are stereotyped as being desperate women or was working too hard.

Jess

When they learned I was attending a women's college a lot of people mentioned the stereotype of all the students being lesbians.

Dani

There's the stereotype that everyone here is a lesbian. There's also the stereotype that all the straight girls are easy.

That the only students who go here are lesbian, that students are only about school and studying and nothing else.

Mireille

That we are all lesbians. And if we happen to be straight, we are sluts and desperate for boys. That we live in a "bubble" because there are never any boys here. This is clearly untrue, guys can take classes here, girls always have their boyfriends visiting, a lot of the faculty and staff is male, and guys will flood to our bigger and well-known parties.

Quinn

Too many lesbians; the 'Mt.' throws people off; no social life; no boys = no fun/no access to boys.

Some people tend to think anyone at an all-women's college must be a lesbian. I don't think there are many strong stereotypes connected to MHC specifically though. Sometimes people say that the five colleges in the area can be represented by the characters from Scooby Doo. Mount Holyoke is usually said to be Daphne or sometimes Velma.

Ruth

-We are all lesbians -We are all stuck up bitches

Most people are lesbians and evil feminists.

That we're not as smart as the Smith students. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. I personally was accepted to both but decided to come here, partially because people here were simply nicer. Another: there are more than the average percentages of lesbians, bisexuals, etc. Absolutely true, but so what?

That we're all lesbians who want to study international relations or gender studies.

One significant stereotype regarding MHC is that students do nothing but study.

Among the Seven Sisters school we are sort of known to be the "party school," and as an all women's college the stereotype tends to be that the majority of our students are butch lesbians.

that were all either whack job lesbian feminists, or prissy prude conservative daddy's girls only here to find a husband and become a perfect trophy wife

lesbians, feminist, liberal

Quinn

that there is a large gay population, and that Mount Holyoke women hate men

That we are all are or become gay. That we are all rich and snobby. That we drink and party all the time. That we hook-up with any guy. We hate men.

meg

Totally gay or straight and desperate, smart women,