Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

The best thing about Mt Holyoke is the faculty, resources and the CAMPUS. Its gorgeous. and I have never met professors bending backwards to help their students. Can't turn a paper in on time? need an extension to be inspired...done. The professors here really make the school what it is. Needless to say, because you get an extension does not mean the school is easy. You get alot of work, I take around 20-22 credits each semester because I love reading, writing and genuinely want to do the work. Thats not just me, thats most of the students here. So why choose Mount Holyoke over an Ivy league or a school ranked 'unfairly' higher, because the school is built so you succeed, you really can't fail unless you try REALLY hard haha. I think the population of the school is just right, could be larger but mostly just right. The sad part is that people don't really know about Mount Holyoke, we have alumni everywhere, Pricilla Painton (Editor and Chief at Simon and Schuster), Susan lori parks (Pulitzer Prize winner), Jeanemarie O'brien (One of the most intelligent corporate lawyers I have worked with; Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen and Katz). We also had Anthony Lake as professor here for 10 years before he left to serve as secretary of state under Bill Clinton, and if Obama wins he'll do it all over again. Every few years, like this one, he comes back and teaches a class or two. So when people ask me wheres 'Mt. Holyoke,' I just take it as their ignorance. The biggest controversy on campus recently was the sudden death of a fellow student. it really affected the campus, as students that didn't even know her held a candle in her memory. I do think their is a lot of school pride, students who don't have school pride usually transfer, and if your one of 'those' don't come...and the most frequent complaints is the town of south hadley, unfortunately reffered to as 'sa'hadley' as the saddest town ever. But even that just makes students get off campus to do things...like me, who is filling out this survey in a coffee shop in northampton...oh and yes I would choose mt. holyoke over smith--the admins there are just mean.

i love that i can go out and party on a weekend and come home to a quiet, sane campus. i also love that i can party with my friends for a weekend in my room and just have some quality girl time with them. it's also great that if you are by chance intoxicated, there is far less of a chance that you will get taken advantage of by a male at a party, so people are a lot more carefree in that respect. i spend most of my time on campus in my room and the library, and in the summer, sitting out and tanning on the green with a bunch of friends. i also go to blanchard dining hall a lot. i think mt holyoke is just the right size, but i was looking for a small school with small classes when i applied to colleges. if you want a huge class/school, this isnt for you. people are generally impressed when i say i go to mount holyoke if they've heard of it, apparently it is considered a superb college among many people. our college town is basically the village commons, across the street, but most people go to northhampton or umass when they want to really get off campus and into the real world. we do have a lot of school pride, and there are a lot of little traditions that we like to uphold every year, which is really unique. i'll always remember jterm, which i am telling every first year student to try at least ONCE in their four years. students generally complain about lack of testosterone and too much work, buuuut they know that if it came down to it they love their girl's school and the work that moho gives us is necessary.

My favorite thing about the school are my friends. We're all down to earth, outgoing, and not competitive with each other. Furthermore, the size of school size is just right; you know a lot of people, but you don't know everyone. Although South Hadley is not quite a college town, Amherst and Northampton definitely are and they're not that far from MHC and are easily accessible by the PVTA, which is the free public bus. I don't spend much time off campus because I'm rarely bored on MHC's campus. We have a lot of school pride and we're not afraid to show it! I feel very safe and secure and happy here, despite the work-load. What's most unusual about the school is the diversity of its students. We have many international students, racial minorities, and socioeconomic diversity. I feel that members of the different "groups" interact with each other. I feel that at most schools people who are alike generally stick together and are not always willing to move out of their comfort zones, but I may be incorrect. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen at MHC, but I think it may be less common here.

You don't go to Mount Holyoke for the guys. You go because you will make the most amazing girl friends you'll ever have in your lifetime. I'd want to be closer to the city. It's just a little bit too small. Some people ask me "Where is Mount Holyoke?", lots of people just don't know anything about the school...other people know that it is prestigious and are really shocked. I spend most of my time running around from class to studying to meetings. What college town? There isn't even a pharmacy that isn't run by the school. The administration is really slow sometimes. The race controversy was pretty big (someone claimed in the newspaper that minority organizations weren't involved enough). There's a lot of school pride, but there is some school hate too. It's mostly because it's just stressful to be here. Mount Holyoke is just a sweet place. I'll always remember living with my three best friends in a quad and LOVING it. Lots of people complain about boys--I think it's natural, but it goes away after awhile, when you realize that you don't need them to be happy.

Well the "biggest" thing about Mt Holyoke is that we're woman's college. But whatever associations people have with that are usually wrong. I didn't particularly want to go to a woman's college, I just liked MHC and it happened to be a woman's college. After three years am I glad it is? YES. Compared to other schools I've been to, the level of respect and awareness for their surroundings and community is so much higher. People don't destroy stuff because we know the housekeepers and we don't want to disrespect them. I feel like many college students have this completely self absorbed mind-set. I feel like mhc can see past its own little world. We value our educations. This isn't just four years living off your parent's money because you don't know what else to do.

It's so beautiful! The library is gorgeous! The size is just right for me. People always think I am a lesbian when I tell them I go to Mount Holyoke, but they are just silly. I spend most of my time at the gym and hanging out in my dorm. It is not a college town, but Amherst and Northampton are nearby and you can take a free bus to get there. It is not too hard. The administration has always been very helpful. There is controversy between the haves and the have nots but I think that can happen at most small liberal arts colleges. There is a lot of school pride, especially when it comes to competing with Smith. I will always remember my team! They're amazing!! And my amazing professors like Kavita Khory and Chris Rivers.

Mt. Holyoke is a school that is entirely out of date. The all-girls population can be tremendously catty and does not encourage the development of confidence in young women, as advertised. If you are not sure of yourself entering the school, there is not a demanding enough social sphere for you to grow. Mt. Holyoke will prepare you to efficiently handle more work than you ever thought possible, however it will not prepare you for any kind of debate or confrontation because the school stresses tolerance (in other words, "I don't care to consider your opinion if it differs from mine."

The best thing about Mt. Holyoke (it sounds cliche) is the bond I've made with all of my friends. It feels like a huge slumber party and we're all so open with each other. I love the size of my school- it's small enough that you can recognize a lot of people whenever you leave your dorm and also small enough that your professors personally know you. There isn't the anonymity that exists at large schools. People are usuall impressed when I tell them I go to Mt. Holyoke because they've heard that it's a very good school.

MHC is a great school. The academics are great. The campus is BEAUTIFUL. There are enough students that I don't know every single person I see, but whenever I go into the student center I always run into a friend. The library is gorgeous. I fell in love with it when I was a prospective student!. I spend time there in between classes, but most of my time is spent in Pratt music hall or in Kendade sports complex.

I love Mount Holyoke. We aren't really in a college town. South Hadley is kind of boring but the surrounding towns are great and easily accessible. We have the opportunity to take classes at 4 other schools (Smith, Umass, Amherst and Hampshire) an asset I find really great. When I tell people that I go to Mount Holyoke they seem to be impressed especially if they are from an older generation.