Mount Holyoke College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mount Holyoke College

Elise

It is nearly impossible to compare a Mount Holyoke college experience to an experience from a large, co-ed university. Mount Holyoke students are focused and driven to do their best, and campus can often seem quiet and empty, because most students are studying in groups, in the library, or other buildings.

Robin

There is something for almost everyone here, interest-wise; even a campus Republicans group, though most of the students (and likely the faculty) are overwhelmingly liberal and do their best to be socially aware. Like, acknowledging the presence and preferences of students who do not fall on the gender binary. It is not perfect by any means, but no place is, and the students are willing to bring awareness and action to any problems. One thing that seems to polarize people is the location. It is more in the suburbs, and if you don't have a car, your travel options are limited, though the PVTA bus system (free for students!) is extensive and a great way to get between the other colleges in the Five College Consortium (did I mention you get access to four more colleges for the price of one?) and just out to, say, Northampton or Amherst for an afternoon. People who come from a city may find it to be small, and people like me from rural areas may find the public transportation system a bit overwhelming at first. The classes are enjoyable, and Mount Holyoke prides itself on challenges. Be prepared to think critically and take charge of projects. AP English Language would be a massive boon if you can take it, since it teaches college-level critical thinking and essay writing skills. But don't be put off if you can't take it; the First Year Seminars, which every student who comes in with a First Year standing must take one of, are designed to help students reach that level. Also, this is a residential college. Few students live off-campus. Everyone is on a meal plan that provides 3 meals a day, every day, and includes dining dollars that can be spent at Blanchard Campus Center or Uncommon Grounds. The food is good, though, and there is a wide variety of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options. There is also a kosher/halal dining hall, and another dining hall which serves halal meats twice a week. Overall, this is definitely a school to consider. It is full of community, support, and opportunity.

Shauna-kay

Honestly, I couldn't have asked to attend a better school. We affectionately call our school "MoHome," because it is just that: a home. The people, the discussion, the professors... all make up a nice package. No one is seen as too different or straying from the "norm." We see people for who they are (or at least we try to).

Sheyla

A non-negotiable I was looking for while searching for my college was for the school, its faculty and staff to genuinely care for its students. Mount Holyoke immediately caught my attention during prospective student weekend. While waiting for the second flight I was able to meet some students who were also going to the Mount Holyoke and other students who were visiting other nearby schools. We were later informed that our flight had been canceled. Stranded in Detroit, not knowing what to do, we all decided to contact our individual schools. Mount Holyoke’s staff was instantly willing to help. They told us they would find another flight for us the next morning and they made sure to get us a safe place to stay for the night. This caring gesture was not displayed by the other schools who told their prospective students to find their way back home if they were unable to be on campus by the time the activities started. Seeing the difference of student treatment by the different colleges I realize that Mount Holyoke sincerely cares about its students. The caring and supportive culture of Mount Holyoke is exactly what I was looking for in a school and ever since my arrival to begin my first year, the Mount Holyoke community has proven its self to be one where its members look after each other. Professors are easy to talk to, get in touch with and they are always willing to help. Upperclassmen are also inclined to support underclassmen. Being far away from home can be difficult but having a strong supportive community has made my first year away from home unforgettable and life-changing.

Gauri

I came from a large public high school. Going here, I can see that I have a lot more opportunities available to me and attention given to me. Academically, I couldn't ask for more. It is a little difficult to have a social life because the campus is a bit isolated, but I've seen people do it. The campus is diverse and there are always conversations going on.

Charisse

Mount Holyoke although it is an all women's college is known for their academics as well as their welling news to let lose and have some fun. When we're not rigiuously studying we're off campus at other schools partying going to art museums or just relaxing at Starbucks or our neighboring café thirsty minds. On the weekends we tend to party some of party a little to hard but that's only because we want to party before the snow comes in the winter. And when there's no party at any of the other colleges surrounding us(which rarely happens) Mount Holyoke College is always having either an amazing party or an awesome event which some how always features an awesome after party. So we're kind of like superman brains by day but chilling and having fun by night...that is if we're not studying for a hard exam or quiz.

Haley

This place is actually the best. The classes here are challenging, but fascinating. They don't just encourage you to push the boundaries, it's expected of you. The community on campus is one of the kindest I have ever encountered on anywhere else. I have met a bunch of absolutely amazing people, and I don't think I could have been happier anywhere else.

Deanna

Mount Holyoke College is great for many reasons. The campus itself is gorgeous; the gothic architecture and lush landscaping give the school a Hogwarts-like feel. We are also right across the street from many shops, services, and churches of all denominations. There are also many farms nearby. The community is warm and close-knit as well. There are a multitude of clubs and organizations one can join, many of them specially catering to the International population. For those interested, there are many religious groups of all kinds and frequent interfaith activities. My favorite part about Mount Holyoke, however, is the academics. Class sizes are generally small, and being part of the Five College Consortium means I can take classes at Smith, Hampshire, UMass Amherst, and Amherst College. All of my professors have been brilliant, helpful, and genuinely interested in their students. They always make themselves available and work with you to help you achieve your goals. The library is also extraordinary: it is stunningly beautiful, and the LITS staff is welcoming and helpful. We have access to not only the material in our extensive collection, but also to the material in the Consortium libraries. The reason I am giving Mt. Holyoke only four stars is because the residence halls have many issues (some do not have water fountains, adequate heating, elevators, the vending machines are not restocked enough, there are not enough laundry machines, etc.) and the food is not great, but it is bearable. Also, the school is EXTREMELY liberal, so if you are not comfortable in that kind of environment, you should make sure to visit the school and experience what it's like in depth before applying. Yet people of all kinds go there, so it is not hard to find your own group. Ultimately, I love Mt. Holyoke College because it gives you a phenomenal education and offers a welcoming and diverse community.

Sophie

It's a good school and the professors are very accessible. The overall feel of the campus is very peaceful and the students are intelligent really nice and easy to have conversations with. I've grown and learned a lot since coming here . There are people that are skeptical about historically women's colleges, but I don't regret going to Mount Holyoke College and I don't feel inhibited when I speak in discussions with my peers and professors. Love it here!

Deborah

Mount Holyoke strives to be an accepting and welcoming community. Professors here are always accessible and willing to help, and students are supportive and build each other up. The campus is gorgeous!

Shoshana

The student body is always passionate and caring. They are unafraid to stand up for a cause, even if it means they are standing up to administration. Professors are gracious, encouraging, and helpful. The overall community tries its best, even though sometimes they don't succeed.

It is a very unique place to be. There are a lot of opportunities and several activities that one may partake in. There is something going on on a daily basis. I think most people either love it or hate it but there are a few that are in the middle.

Lilly

As an alumna of Mount Holyoke, I can say that it truly changed my life. First of all, the classes and the academic experience were top-notch. The faculty were excellent and my fellow students were smart and engaged. I was challenged to work harder than I ever had before, challenged to think critically and communicate effectively, and challenged to become the person I was meant to be. In addition to the academics, I appreciated that all the positions leading activities and groups were held by women - it created space for me to really find my voice, my passions, and my leadership skills. Mount Holyoke is exceptionally diverse and I loved the global sensibilities that brought to classes and conversations. It broadened my thinking and my horizons. Finally, the campus is just gorgeous. There is something special about being in a beautiful, supportive, intellectually-focused space that enabled me to breathe, to think, and to grow. I will be forever grateful to have gone to Mount Holyoke.

Johanna

Mount Holyoke is a rigorous, self-selective school perfect for students who want to explore lots of options, get involved, and be a part of a tight-knit community steeped in tradition and enthusiasm for the school. Mount Holyoke is the perfect place to find your footing, get to know yourself better, and gain confidence in all you do. Your ideas will be challenged and challenging, you'll make deep connections with your peers and professors, and you'll always have a place to call home.

In 1837, Mary Lyon did the unthinkable. She founded the Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, which later became Mount Holyoke College—the first of the Seven Sisters. Radical moves for a woman wearing a bonnet. In doing so, she forever changed the landscape of higher education—not just for women in South Hadley, Massachusetts, but for women around the world. She built a place where women could develop their intellects, hone the power of their voices, and cultivate courage.

Lanie

Mount Holyoke has a welcoming environment for everyone. Although it is traditionally a women's college, we have people of all walks of life among us. There is an organization for everyone, even if it's not the one you had originally imagined for yourself. This campus is all about diversity and inclusion.

Emma

Mount Holyoke students are caring and accepting, and hard workers. The professors are brilliant and the class sizes are usually small enough to have a discussion based class. Also, the campus is beautiful. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment.

Morgan

First, the school cafeteria has REALLY good food. It was much better than what my high school cafeteria used to feed us, and Mount Holyoke has a lot more variety. The people on campus are also super nice. My interview ended up going half an hour longer because my interviewer was happy to answer all of my questions and describe what her experience at the school was like.

Emilie

Mount Holyoke is a gorgeous school with great academics, a diverse student population, and a fascinating history. Although it is a small school, there is a lot to do on and off campus. I do wish there was more diversity in regards to the faculty and that there was more transparency in the financial aid process.

Heather

Spent two years at Mount Holyoke, then transferred out because that place was just toxic. I didn't fully realize how harmful the environment was to my mental health until I left. It is a culture of stress and over-sensitivity. People get offended over the smallest things, so you have to tip-toe around them. Extremely feminist and SJW, openly hostile to conservative or even moderate beliefs. They say they care about academics, but they don't really. They'll skip class to protest, block hallways, and generally make it difficult for those of us who came to the college to get an education, not to be an activist. Professors are generally very good and care about the students, but they too often bend to will of spoiled rich brats who don't want to do their work. I went to Mt. Holyoke because I was given generous financial aid and I expected an academically rigorous experience, so I was astounded to see how little students really cared about their academics. Aside from that, just the idea of a "Women's college" is so outdated and unnecessary, since there are already more women going to college than men. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Katerina

Mount Holyoke College is a special community of diverse young adults. I love the small class sizes, the opportunity to take courses at the other four colleges since we are part of the Five-College Consortium, and the network you build. The professors are great and always want to help you succeed. MHC encourages it's students to study abroad and the overall atmosphere is very friendly and humble. There is no competition between students and the "stress culture" is not merely as bad as other colleges.

Kiana

Mount Holyoke College is a great place to get amazing professors and dorm rooms! The food here is far above what one would expect from college and so are the employees who help students. I personally feel that its a well rounded college with some amazing students that can change the world.

Nana Aba

Mount Holyoke College is a place I would recommend for people that seek to be empowered.The community here is amazing ,the people here are so nice and the professors are great! The professors here are genuinely concerned about your success,are always welcoming and do not look down on you.They are always ready to help.The students are same.A selfless community that will ride with you on the road of success and to the location of victory.I love MoHome traditions.They are one to look forward to.The buildings are beautiful and there are so many places to take pictures also

Tia

Great school. Great community.

Briyana

Mount Holyoke college is honestly all I ever dreamed of in a college and more. This upcoming year, I will be a Harriet Newhall Fellow in the admissions office, and my job will be to interview prospective students while telling them about my experiences at Mount Holyoke. All I can say is that no one should worry about this being an all women's college. Class sizes are small, your professors know you on a first name basis, every day you're engaged in conversation about what you love with people that inspire you. Your professors, advisors, and friends are a couple yards away. The education is top notch. I don't know what else to say but my school is incredible and honestly, "Mount Holyoke Forever Shall Be."

Tamar

I love Mount Holyoke. I am so lucky to be able to spend four years in this environment, where students are able to influence every aspect of our education. This is a community that values learning, respect, individualism, and conversation. Wherever you are when you come to MHC, from there you will grow.

helen

Once a distinguished, rigorous women's college, Mount Holyoke today plays host to "the gender marginalized" who aren't particularly smart. There is little rigor left. Faculty are told not to correct grammar, as that'd be judgmental. A bloated administrative bureaucracy drives pedagogy. They, for example, encourage faculty not to require deadlines, as it might stress the hot house flowers. It's the land of misfit toys.

Olivia

There is a lot more partying than the school would have you think. There are people who don't party (myself included), but most students attend at least one or two before they graduate. The academics are pretty good, and the campus is absolutely gorgeous. However, whenever you have a bunch of women together, there is a plethora of gossiping and drama. So it takes a bit of shifting before you find your good friends, and you need to be prepared for at least one drama storm a semester. The board of trustees don't always listen and occasionally come up with offensive and absurd ideas for the school, but in general the admin do a good job of listening to the students and trying to solve the issues. I got involved in a Title IX investigation and found that they take those kinds of things very seriously and work hard to help both parties be represented properly. They also make sure both parties feel as safe and comfortable as they can while on campus and especially while the investigation is taking place.

Gabrielle

As an alumnus, I look back on my time at Mount Holyoke with nostalgia and happiness. It is truly a transformative space, where students uplift and support one another through everything. As a first-generation student of color, I was able to find community quickly and during my four years there, I never felt alone. I adjusted very easily to the campus and immediately saw how tight-knit the community was. It is a place I hold close to my heart.