Yankton, SD
Mount Marty College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Marty College

Rachael

I attend the Mt. Marty College at the Watertown campus in Watertown, SD. It is a very small college with no campus or housing but it does provide the same courses you would receive in a regular college. I would recommend this college to anyone who likes to really get to know the classmates and are able to work one on one with professors. The only downside is there is no campus but since I grew up in this area, I still have my high school friends.

Instead of thinking about getting away from home and being on your own, look for what college works best for you and for your lifetime career.

That there was no chance to receive a college-based scholarship, they only go to Mt. Marty Yankton campus students.

Kellie

The best thing about Mount Marty College, is the size. There is a total of about 500 people on this campus, including teachers and students. The average class size is 25 and there is 50 minutes to a class each day. One thing i'd change about MMC, probably extending the hours for the library and using that much more. People ask why I came from Anaheim, CA to Yankton, SD. For the very reason, everyoe is so very nice here. I can't think of how many times people have waved at me or smiled. If i smield at anyone back home,i would have gotten a dirty look or some rude comment. It's nt only in the school but all around town. Kindness is everywhere.

Coming from California to a smaller town and school I assumed it'd be much less dramatic, but in reality it's the same. Drama, i mean. You have your average students, the rude baseball players, the people who work hard in whatever they do, the girls who get around, then the normal people who just get by. It's all the same but in a smaller setting where everyone has seen everyone at some point. It's a very small campus, and even if they don't know your name, they'll find something else to call you. I was called California for the first 4 weeks of school by a few kids because my name was less interesting than the fact I came from California.

Jesse

Mt. Marty College is small in size, but still prestigious for its education.

Mt. Marty College is small in size, but still prestigious for its education.

If I were given the chance to go back and talk to my pre-college self, there are several things I would let "him" know. The first thing I would tell "him" would be to overcome procrastination early- it took me awhile to figure out how much of a procrastinator I was. I procrastinated on just about everything, from homework to paying for school. Everything seemed so much harder than it needed to be, becaused I never alotted the right amount of time for myself to complete something. Once I figured out how to manage my time, college started going much more smoothly for me. Another thing I would tell "him" is to try hard with school from the beginning. My first year of college was pretty pathetic. I didn't care much about class- I only wanted to hang with friends and have a good time. When I realized how poorly I was doing in the classroom, I changed my attitude, and from then on have been doing well in school. If all this were possible, hopefully this information would help "his" college experience to be a little more "on-track" than mine has been.

I wish I had known how bad the weather gets here! I came back from Christmas vacation and the snow piles were two-three stories high! In all seriousness, though, I was very well-informed about this school before I came to visit. Nothing has come to a shock to me so far- the people in charge of reeling students in do a very good job of making sure the students know everything they need to about the school.

Katie

I would tell parents and students to schedule several college visits among the colleges and universities that they are interested in attending. This will give the student and parent the opportunity to see the campus first hand and ask any questions that they may have to those that know best. I would also encourage the parent and student to sit down and go over the financial side of attending college so it is understood how certain loans will be taken out and how things will be paid for once graduation comes. I would encourage the student to get involved as much as he or she can on campus to make the most of their experience. Some of your best friends will be made in college and the time goes by way too fast so enjoy every minute of it!!

Kimberly

It is a great place to get a good education and meet many new people.

It is a great place to get a good education and meet many new people.

Mount Marty feels like a family and is your home away from home

When trying to find a college that is right for the student it can be a very frightening and stressful event. While looking for the right school for you or your child just remember to do what feels right. Not all schools are going to work for you. Make sure the correct support system is available to make the student the most successful they can be. Choose a college is not an end, but a beginning to a new and exciting adventure. Keep in mind this adventure is one the student must venture down and so the school must be right for them, and not just what the parent wants. There are many choices when it comes to picking the right school for you, but once you step on campus of the school you are supposed to attend, you will know it. You will feel as though you were at home with your family, and in truth it will become your home away from home.

Lora

Make sure it feels like home. Make sure it's somewhere you feel safe and confident leaving your child. Mount Marty definately is. Make sure as a parent that you too try to talk to the teaching staff. You can learn a great deal about the school from it's teachers, and most first impressions are pretty accurate. As a student make sure you know what you're getting into. What is there to do? What is most common on the weekends? Colleges will tell you anything to get you there, but you have to remember that college is just as much social as it is academic. Make sure you get some of the social information as well as all the academic. It really helped in my college planning and hopefully it will in yours too!

The size. Because MMC is a smaller school everyone gets to know you. You can make friends in all different circles! The teachers are much more recptive to your needs and they treat you with respect. They want you to pass and not fail and will do just about anything to help you out. They are awesome. I have had nothing but good experiences at this school.

Knowing everyone and how it is so easy to find a group of people and just hang out. Also, the teaching staff. Again, they are just simply awesome.`

Maggie

It's very small, and the professors are very one on one with you. Also it's such a friendly environment and people are very caring. You make friends that would do anything to help you, and I don't think you can find as much as that at a large state school.

The advice I would give to parents and students about finding the right college is find a college that suits you. That may sound obvious but it is a difficult thing to do. If you learn better in a small classroom than obviously you would want to find a smaller college. If you want to do athletics in college than you need to find a college that has a team that you click with. But the number one thing to keep in mind when choosing a college is whether or not they have a good program in the field in which you are going into. To make the most of your college experience I think you should get involved in lots of activities that you are interested in. For expample, I play on the volleyball team here at Mount Marty and I found my closest friends on the volleyball team, and have made some life long memories with the volleyball team. I think that if you find an activity you are interested in, you will find people like you, that you can hopefully become life long friends with, and make the best out of your college experience.

I feel like this school is open to accept anyone, and no one should feel like they don't belong.

Mount Marty College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.