Mount Saint Joseph University Top Questions

I would tell myself to apply for a lot more scholarships than I did. College isnt cheap and Im quickly realizing that. Also not to spend my money on stupid things I really dont need and rather save it so I would be able to afford to go to college without having to take out so many loans. I would tell myself to live life a little more because college isnt what its like in the movies. Once you start college you cant mess around and have a little fun, especially with my major, nursing, I dont have time to have a social life. I have to work three jobs to pay for school and go to school full time and Nursing requires a lot of studing and deication. I cant afford to get a bad grade or mess around if I want to be able to graduate with my BSN and my RN in 4 years. Cherish every moment in highscool, college is a completely different ball game. Thats the advice I'd give my highschool self, cherish every moment and get all the money for college I can.

Julia

If i could go back in time and talk to myself when i was a senior in high school, i would tell myself to listen to your parents. Also to listen to your teachers and not your peers. I would tell myself to study more and stop thinking about my social status. I would also talk myself out of waiting a year to start college. Lastly, i would tell myself to work and save money because college is very expensive.

Briana

What I have gotten out of my college experience is a very good question. To write about it I need to tell you where I grew up. In my hometown of Oberlin, I come from a very diverse community. We have a school system that may have a couple hundred students just in the high school with a graduating class of 80 - 90 students per year. I start with that to say this, I have gotten out of my college experience is independence from my parents, don't get me wrong I call them everyday for advice and what not, I still need them very much. I want and do feel safe here even though Cincinnati is a very big city compared to Oberlin. I've met and developed some really great friendships and I grow everyday with all the responsibilities I have, like my loads of homework and making sure I get my papers in on time, doing laundry and budgeting my expenses. I really thought I would get more financial aid and I'm really trying to do my best in college. It is a challenge but I up for it. Regards, Briana S. Reynolds

Cathy

I was raised as an only child by a father, an only child, who was forced to quit school in the eighth grade to care for his mother when his father passed away. Although my father was not able to complete his education, he certainly instilled that education was important. My education took me from a world where we hunted for animals on our farm, not for sport, but to put food on the table. Our family was very poor and resources seemed very thin. My time in the Army opened my eyes to funding for my education. My education has given me the opportunity to travel to places I had only dreamed of. Even more than that, I have been able to explain to my children, first hand, what the value of an education is. Instead of living in a home with plastic over the windows, I now am able to see out, not only see out the windows, but see out of the poverty, worry, financial struggles, the misery of hunger and wants that once haunted me. Education has been my savior, and something only I could do for myself.

I would tell myself that there's no need to rush things and figure out what you're going to do with your life. You have plenty of time before you have to decide on a major. Use that time wisely to explore different subjects and find something that you enjoy. Also always put school first! Your degree is very important and will be useful your whole life but your friends will come and go.

Rachael

I would tell myself to not be so worried. In high school I was worried about funding my education. Now as a college freshman I realize people are willing to help you out and financial aid will come. Some way some how one will find the money to pay for college. I would tell myself to not get discouraged or overwhelmed with schooling but to simply put forth my best effort and know that it was the best I could do. I would also make sure to tell myself enjoy high school and not to wish it away. Instead to make the best of it, have fun, be yourself, and never let anyone bring you down for doing so.

Lori

I would tell myself not to rush into anything. I would start with basic courses to obtain credit hours until I know what I wanted to major in. Because I was rushed into College before I was ready, I chose a career that was not fitting for me and has come to an end in this economy. Now I'm starting all over with a new degree at a very old age and this time I know what I want to be when I grow up.

Marie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as senior in high school, I would have a lot to tell myself about college. I would first tell myself to ask a lot of questions. If you do not ask questions in life, then how are you ever going to find the answer? Always ask questions. Also, I would encourage myself to get involved on campus, getting involved is how you make friends, college life, living on campus just would not be very much fun if I did not have any friends. Lastly, I would strongly encourage myself not to procrastinate. There are deadlines in college, however, it does not hurt to ask for an extension. The worst a teacher can say is, "No." Procrastination does not help at all when you start applying for jobs, they want to see what you can do to the best of your ability in the allotted time. In conclusion, asking questions, getting involved, and not procrastinating are probably the three most important things I would tell myself as a senior applying for college.

Elianna

If I could go back a year and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are a number of things I would tell myself. Make sure to get your priorities straight early, don't put things off until the last minute. I would tell myself to not stress out so much, that there's nothing to be scared of, nothing to fear about going into college. The transition between high school and college might be a little overwhelming, because of the difference between being homeschooled and starting college, but just remember to stay focused on your goals; don't let anyone tell you differently, and more importantly, be confident in who you are. Don't be afraid to speak up, don't be afraid to stand out, be proud of who you are and how far you have come. Remember to find time for your friends and family; the worst thing you can do is get so caught up in your own life, that you miss out on everything going on around you. Lastly, know that you are a strong individual, and you can do whatever you set out to do.

Valissa

One thing I would advise my high school self is to be more organized. As a high school senior, I always took on more projects than I could complete and never really took into consideration the commitment I was making to the person or task. However, going to college is all about personal commitment. There is no hand holding. In order to acheive the desired grade or successful end to a project, you have to commit to it and organize your time to get it completed. There is a real sense of self accountability. Another bit of advice to myself would be to create a study group or support team. The extensive work load plus exam week can be brutal to take on by any first time college student. The stress level is so intensely multiplied during the first year that having a group to exchange notes with, study with and/or share your frustrations with is just as vital as organization. I could not have maintained my level of academics without having a group of my peers to share the sometimes strain of college life.

Ben

I would tell myself to enroll in college right out of high school. I would tell myself how hard it is to get a good job is without having a college degree. I would tell myself that the job I have in high school will not amount to anything unless I have a college degree. Finally I would tell myself that going back to college after having three kids is more challenging and less fun than if I would go to college directly after high school.

Jayne

Remember to work hard, it's not as easy as high school. Study for every test, even if you think its going to be easy. Surround yourself with positive influences. Have fun...but not too much. Form a study group with people in your class and set up a day to meet once a week, even when you dont have a test. You're going to be busy and wont be able to do all of the reading for all of your classes; at least skim the chapter or read the end of chapter review. You're going to be learning some new stuff and its better to at least heard of it before. Enjoy the next 4 years, they are going to be the best of your life.

Believe in yourself. Believe in what you do. Believe in others. These three statements will carry me though my life, being able to give me the resources and abilities to overcome any obstacle in my life. Everything I will need can be applied and solved throughout these three very powerful statements.

Andrew

In advising people about finding the right college to attend and making the most of their experience, I would urge students to look for colleges which will allow them to be themselves while at the same time giving them the opportunity to grow with their fellow students and teachers. It is important to find a school which offers extracurriculars which interest you as well as an off-campus setting which will keep you busy during downtime from academic work. I feel that the most important thing when deciding on which college to attend is finding the college which allows you to grow both academically and as a contriobuting member of society; find a school which gives you the chance to make a name for yourself and distiguish yourself from the rest of your class through coursework, athletics, and community service.

Heather

Save as much as you can for college. By not having to worry about how to pay for college and by not having to work to pay your way through college you can spend more time concentrating on your education. It is also important to remember that you need to explore each colege that interets you. The college that you want to attend may not offer the education that you want. It is also important to explore their rules and regulations. Knowing as much as you can about a school will greatly help you decide where you would like to attend college.

Debbie

Make sure it is a college that is right for you; financially and personally.

The first thing I would do is figure out if you want to attend a big or small college and then make sure that you do go on campus visits; they are the best way for you to figure out if that college/university is right for you. Another area you need to research is what school is best known for the major or career field you want to pursue. I was interested in athletic training and the advisor at my school is known throughout the field of athletic training so I felt that this would be a good match. One other thing that I looked at was if the college community is "close-knit" and everyone is there for each other. To make the most of your college experience, I would say you need to become friends with people with the same major and get involved in extra-curricular activities (clubs, volunteering, intramurals, etc). By making these friends, college will be a lot easier to get through.

Dan

As a very involved member of my all of my schools, I find it essential to find the school with the most social and respectable student community that is right for you or your child. Sure, the purpose of college is to learn, but who doesn't want to have fun doing it!? I am not referring to parties either, I am referring to the programs and involvement that others in the college run and attend. I find these organised events much more entertaining than those of parties. One doesn't need alcohol to have fun, just friends.

David

Choose a college that has all the things you want. Such as having a small class room, big campus, things around the campus, sports, school spirit, etc. Try to find a college where you can succeed also. Don't choose a college that you know your just gonna goof off with friends and party all the time. For me, choosing the College of Mount St. Joseph was an easy choice. I could play football for a school that is usually ranked in the top 25. It was also far enough away to live on my own, and has a great atmosphere that will help me suceed in my academics. All of these things have to go into consideration when choosing a college. But choosing a college doesn't mean anything if you don't make the most of it. Ways I tried to get involved is doing some intrumural sports and go to some on campus events. You need to study hard all the time but you also need to get out and enjoy all the other things college has to offer. So once you find a college, make the most of it.

Amber

The right college is the college that you will feel most comfortable in. This college is the one that suits all your needs. It is important to research into your major and find the university that best reflects it. It is also important to find out about extra curricular things on and around campus. Your going to want to be involved no matter where you go and it's good to know what they have to offer so you can be prepared. At the end of every school day, if you can honestly say that you've grown from your day's experience and found happiness doing it that is when you know you are right where you belong. Don't shy away from schools because of their cost or for any stereotypical quality about it. If you want to be a part of that college then make it happen! There will always be ways to get around costs and most of the time what people think they know about a school isn't always right. Go find out for yourself and make yourself proud by taking a stand to do so.

Rebecca

Even if you visit all the colleges all over the country, I think you won't know what college is best for you until you attend that college. I also recommend considering what really is most important to you, like friends, family, or religion.

I would advise that a parent and the student go out and take time to look at potential colleges. When researching schools to attend, keep in mind your personal priorities you want to see in a school. If you want a small school, don't go looking at large universities. When choosing a school, keep your interests in mind. If you want to major in nursing, then you need to find a school that has an excellent nursing program. Money always seems to be an issue when choosing a school, but a word of advice that most private schools do not offer sports scholarships, but they might offer more fiancial aid. Lastly, find a school where you can envision yourself succeeding, because the environment of a school could distract a person from the work that needs to be done to accomplish college goals.

Renee

Searching for a college is entering into a relationship: you have to weigh the pros and cons, know what you are looking for, have a clear idea of what you may be getting into, understand the feasibility, and make a commitment. It is important that the college is compatible on a variety of dimensions including size, location, price, academics, and opportunities for involvement to both the student and the parents while also taking into account what measures are most important to these particular individuals. Utlimately, students and parents will just know when they have come across "the" school, just as in a prospective relationship, there is a fit there, too. After that, it becomes the matter of making the most of the experience which means making that obligation and striving to become involved fully in all aspects of college life, including academics, extracurricular opportunities, and again, the aspects most important to why that school was selected in the first place. Finding the school and demonstrating this dedication is not always easy, but the effort is worth it in the end to make these years memorable, positive, and successful.

For parents I would say let your child choose the college that they want to go to. You can give your opinion on where to go, but it should be up to them. They have to go to the school for their education. In regards to finding the right college, a person needs to deide on how big of a school they want to go to. The amount of money that can be used to pay for college plays a small role. The major that they intend on studying plays a role in what college to go to because you want to go to a college that has that courseload or is known for that subject. A college experience is determined by the student. If they want to party every weekend, it's their choice. However, with college their come responsibilities. Nobody is going to tell you what to do or make sure that you turn in your work. You are on your own. You don't have the constant reminders of what is due or what needs to be done.

Erica

College is for your education. You need to find one that you will be comfortable enough for you to learn and suceed. You need to feel that you will do your best and be all that you can be at your school. It is for you not for anyone else.

Siobhan

The most important thing about finding the right college is making sure it offers what you want to find. Don't settle for something that doesn't feel like home. When I chose the College of Mount St. Joseph it was because the day I drove in five hours away from my home in Chicago, I felt like I was home again. Every person I spoke with, every thing that I saw, every aspect of the school felt more than fitting to me. I had looked at other schools that had great academics and organizations but the only school that grabbed my heart was The Mount. I am currently in my third year at this school, and don't want to end it. They have prepared me so well for the future but I am the kind of person that doesn't like to say bye to home. That is why I'm glad this school has such a great alumni program as well. They want to know everything about the alumni so they can make sure they did the school did it's job in preparing each and every student for the best and happiest successful carreer life!

Always look around and get to talking with people.

Jonathan

Go and do some over night visits as they allow you to get the best feel for the campus.

Matt

I would first ask the student if they wanted to go away to college or stay at home. This is a crucial decision because there are so many colleges out there. Once that decision was made, I would have the student choose 3-5 colleges that they really wanted to attend and schedule visits. You have to make a visit to see whether or not you like the campus. I would choose schools that have the academics you want to study. Once you visit the school, you get a "feel" if it is right for you or not. If it does not feel right then cross that school off of your list because there is no point going to a school in which you do not feel comfortable. Once you pick your college, I would look for as many ways as possible to get involved with that school. The more you get involved, the more people you meet and the more friends you make. In my opinion, this is the best way to make the most out of college and have an enjoyable experience.

Kierstin

Start looking for financial aid early.