Emmitsburg, MD
Mount St Mary's University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount St Mary's University

Kennedy

Can be spolied and ungrateful or work for where they are and what they want.

Can be spolied and ungrateful or work for where they are and what they want.

The advice I would give myself would be about friends and family. I would go back and tell myself that not all of your high school friends will stick by your side, a lot of them will hurt you in more ways than one, especially when you are going to a different university than them. However, I would continue by saying not to worry, that whomever is meant to be a part of your life will be and those who are not will leave but instead of dwelling on what is wrong with you and why they all left you alone, focus on your family. Family is important, your whole world can be turned upside down in seconds, from losing your home to your grandmother being put in a home and your brother being very ill, cherish every moment you have and do not worry about any of the negative energy that enters your life. Focus on the positive and make the most of every opportunity given.

The pressure to fit in, to always be out and about and being judged when you want to stay in one night and study. Also the competition between the students whom their parents are alumni and those whom are not, those who are get more scholarship opportunities.

Julianna

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is simple: be real. It has been made clear to me that no matter what you do in highschool people don't remember but what they do remember is how genuine you are and how you treat other people. I wasn't a bully or anything but I was always out to please those around me without first being myself. In highschool you don't need to attend every sporting even so as to seem very supportive, and you don't need to rack up your resume with a million small service items but what you need to focus more on is living in those moments that you are given. Don't pose for a picture for millions of people to see and to have them think highly of you, pose for the glorification of that trophy you won fighting with your best of friends on the basketball team. Know that being yourself is providing people with the best form of yourself that you can offer to them whether they like you or not.

The kind of person that should attend this school is the well rounded, outgoing, nature loving type. Besides being a small Catholic University, Mount Saint Mary's provides many clubs and activities for those who are interested in the arts, athletics, nature, and other areas. Located on a beautiful mountain, Mount Saint Mary's is home of the wide variety of people who share common interests in small class sizes with great personal relationships with professors. It is a small campus so those who wish to make short walks to classes don't have issues.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is a student who is expecting more of a large public feel. A student expecting a large campus, Greek life, and large class room sizes should not attend Mount Saint Mary's University. The campus is small so there isn't much action taking place. If a student is more attracted to the public life of a school then I do not recommend this University.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry about making friends. In high school I thought college life was going to be terrible since I was shy and reserved. I thought that since I do not drink nor do drugs, I would not make any friends since I always heard that there were crazy parties in college with alcohol and drugs. Even though these parties do exist in college, I have found that there are people just like me who feel uncomfortable around drugs and alcohol. I was able to apply to live in a special program my freshman year which established friendships around something other than parties, alcohol and drugs. To live in the program everyone had to sign a form stating that you would not drink or do drugs or you would be removed from the program. This program definately helped me find my niche within college and has formed life-long friends.

I consider the teachers to be the best thing about my school because they are very knowledgeable about their subject area. In addition, they care about the success of the students.

I brag about that my school is a close-knit community that strives to welcome everyone who steps foot onto our campus.

Aliyah

Advice to SelfAliyah you are about to embark on one of the greatest journeys of your life. I have come back to give you a little bit of advice that will help you along the way. If you knew then what you know now you would make better choices. So, I am here to help you make better choices. First, always trust your gut instinct they are there for a reason and God will not steer your wrong. Second, be careful of smooth talking upper classmen no matter how “fine” (looks and speech). Third, don’t take things so seriously, let go and have the time of your life. Life just gets harder and then you will look back and realize that you haven’t lived. Go to class but use this time to make friends and enjoy this phase of your life. Also, the one that you really aren’t into is really worth investing into, he is a keeper. Lastly, you are worth the time, the energy, and they pain. You will see that you worry for nothing. Aliyah, don’t forget to breathe.

I wish I had known that there was only one church. Although, it is a Catholic school I hoped that other religions would have been represented.

An individual that is looking to be academically challenged, faith based, and has some interest in cultural diversity.

The Mount is one giant, awesome, lovable, goofy family.

The Mount is one giant, awesome, lovable, goofy family.

Don't be afraid it be yourself. When everyone comes to college, they're trying to figure out where they're going to fit in, and you DON'T want to get in a group where you can't be the real you. Know yourself, love yourself, and be true to yourself, because only you can tell people who you really are. It may not seem like it, but there are a lot of people out there who want to get to know the real, bona fide you. Be goofy, be real, say weird things, laugh at yourself, trust people, talk to them as you pass them on the path. The next few years are going to test you, and there will be days that you won't know how you'll go on, but I promise you won't just get through it, you'll go farther than you ever thought possible, and you'll be thankful for those hardships because they will make you so much stronger. Wake up every day and just love the heck out of life, and try to go to bed each night knowing you lived as awesomely as you could.

caitlyn

The Mount is the best decision I ever made. I came here a shy and reserved freshmen, and now 3.5 years later am leaving as a confident and outgoing senior. This is in large part due to the support of the people I've met here, who have advised me, supported me, challenged me and pushed me to grow in many different ways throughout my time here! Everyone here is so nice and helpful. The Mount has about 1,700 undergraduate students. I think it is the perfect size. I know tons of people, who are all involved in different things. But at the same time, there are some people who I have said maybe one or two words to in 3 years, and there are (many) instances where I'm remarking that I've never seen some of these people before! This is a tight-knit community, but there's always tons of people I don't know. Everyone who goes to the Mount is proud and happy to go here. This is one of those schools where if you mention to someone that you attend the Mount, their reaction will be "Oh I know so-and-so who went there. He absolutely loved it and raves about it!" Emmitsburg leaves something to be desired, but the Mount staple is the Otts Pub: great, cheap food and they love the Mount students. Also, Frederick is 15-20 minutes away and there is always tons of things to do there and a great bar scene. Historic Gettysburg is 10-15 minutes away and there's good food and good sight-seeing things to do!

That we are all rich MD kids. Not true! The Mount gives lots of scholarships..

Everyone is very nice and friendly here. If you sneeze, 5 people around you will say "Bless you!" We're a 70% Catholic student body, but no one beats you over the head with a Bible ;). Our Interdenominational Faith Ministry is very active too!

Here you'll meet amazing people, have an amazing time and get a great education! I love the Mount and wouldn't trade my time here for anything else.

No! Students have many diverse financial backgrounds here at the Mount. Many of us have generous scholarships & Financial Aid.

We have small class sizes, and there are NO GA's or TA's. Our professors are scholars in their fields, so you learn from the best of the best! Your professors know your name within the first week, and it's not uncommon to get the professor's cell phone numbers for if you ever have a homework or exam question. I stay in contact with my profesors, and because they know me so well, they'll be amazing references for when I graduate. When the final Harry Potter movie came out in July '11, I had e-mails from professors (one of which was from my Freshman Seminar teacher), asking my thoughts on the movie, telling me their opinion, etc. I've been to barbeques, chili nights, s'mores nights and gone out to eat with professors & the rest of the class. They make the effort to know you, because they WANT to. They want you to come see them during office hours! Our liberal arts curriculum has been a lot of fun for me. It is cool to see how it all connects. Some classes weren't my favorite, but overall, I've enjoyed them!

Our Campus Activities office is A-MAZING. We have annual traditions such as Tiki Dance, Crab Feast where for $1 you get 5 crabs (that's how you tell who is from MD and who is not, if they know how to eat crabs!), they bring acts from Comedy Central to campus, a hypnotist VH1 proclaims is the best in the world (and he is- it's a riot!), Homecoming weekend is big here as well! It's impossible to be bored here! We are Divison 1 and basketball is big here! Our home games are always packed and loud. I met all my friends through my residence hall, classes, clubs I'm involved in. There is no Greek life here, and I don't think we suffer because of it. This isn't a suitcase school, kids stay on the weekends because we have fun. A lot of kids do drink and party on weekend, but there's no pressure. If you don't want to party, you don't have to. There's tons of other stuff to do.

I'd say a stereotype is that we're all rich Maryland kids.

Carol-Ann

A small catholic university which is focused on making students feel as though they are part of a family and work towards our goals.

By attending Mount St. Mary?s, I have been given the tools necessary to overcome any obstacle which comes my way. With the support from my family, my insightful professors, and my experiences at the Mount, I feel that I am capable of overcoming any obstacle that is put in my way. Our president focuses on providing us with sufficient resources to achieve each of the four pillars; faith, leadership, discovery, and community. These four pillars have been bestowed upon me during my college years. Each of these pillars have been valuable in helping me grow into the person I am today. I have discovered myself while at the Mount through developing my faith and my morals. The small setting of the Mount has allowed me to take the leadership role in many of my classes. I am able to feel a sense of accomplishment due my leadership. Without the teachers, faculty, and students my college experience would not be the same. The Mount community has become my family and my support through out my journey. Overall the Mount has shaped me into the person I am today which will benefit me in my career and throughout my life.

The fact that it is small and a close nit campus. You always feel welcomed and there is always something going on. Because it is a small school all f the students work together and help each other out. It is a friendly and beautiful campus which makes you feel at home.

Derek

You need to be tolerant of all different types of people. The kids that you thought weren't the type you would socialize with could very well be most compatible with yourself. You should be involved with as much community service as possible. This in itself will give you a start to your education.

Mount St. Mary's is a small school where you are known to your professors and classmates. The smaller classrooms make for better discussions and instruction.

The worse thing about Mount St. Mary's is the heat in the early fall and spring. Some of the rooms do not have air conditioning at this time.

Derek

The rural setting was very unique. The town that it is located in is full of friendly people. Also it is a division 1 school even though it is so small. One other thing is that there are many jobs available in the area for people who want to work while going to school.

I would tell myself to broaden my search. In high school i did not feel comfortable going to a school far from home. I was planning on going to a school either in Connecticut or Vermont. I was accepted to all of the schools that i applied to but at the last minute decided that i did not want to go to the University of New Haven. This is when i made the late decision to apply to Mount Saint Marys a small school over six hours from my home that i had never heard of. I adjusted really fast not being able to rely on family or be able to go home whenever i felt like it like many other students. This is why i wish i applied to more schools in the Pacific northwest now that I know I would be able to be safe and secure far from home.

A person who should not attend this school is someone from the city. The school is in a rural setting which suits me perfectly but may not work for many other people.

Heather

Knowing what I know now about college life, if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a great amount of advice to give. I would first say that the transition from high school to college is quite a big change, and that the number one sentiment to remember is to keep true to myself. College exposes students to a mulitude of new experiences and opportunites to learn and grow. Most of these are postive changes, as they allow students to become responsible adults and to explore the world around them. However, the ones to look out for are those that tempt students to change themselves in a way that is not becoming. When students get their first taste of freedom, they want to try all the new experiences available, and are therefore susceptible to those negative opportunities. Therefore, the advice I would give myself is to go into college with a strong sense of who I am and the reason I am there. I would tell myself to remain focused on the goal and not to allow outside temptations to steer me off track.

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known how demanding the schoolwork would be. During my first semsester of freshman year, I struggled just a little bit because I had not expected to have such a large workload. The work I had done in high school seemed easy compared to my college work. However, I have now adjusted to the workload and have a better idea of what to expect in each new semester.

The kind of person who should attend this school is anyone who is motivated and thrives in small classes. At this school, students have many opportunites to receive one-on-one time with their professors. Also, students here have opportunites to get involved in a variety of sports and extracurricular activities. The people who attend this school, as well as the faculty, are generally helpful and kind, which creates a friendly atmosphere for students. Therefore, this school would be appealing to almost any student.

Mount St Mary's University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.